Practice Report: Rams Prepare for Preseason Finale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report: Rams Prepare for Preseason Finale

Kristen Lago

The Rams began preparations for their preseason finale with a competitive, non-padded session on Monday afternoon. With the team’s fourth exhibition matchup against the Packers just a few days away and roster cuts looming on Saturday, this week will be the last chance for many players to crack the 53-man roster.

HE’S BACK

Wide receiver Tavon Austin made his return to the practice field on Monday. After being sidelined for most of the Rams’ offseason workouts with a wrist injury, the fifth-year receiver has been sidelined for the majority of the preseason due to a nagging hamstring issue.

While Austin will still sit out Thursday night, he is expected to practice with the team over the next couple of weeks and should be ready for the regular season opener on Sept. 10.

After practice on Monday, head coach Sean McVay said Austin participated in the majority of the team’s individual drills and has continued to be a positive presence on the offense despite his injury.

“He feels good,” McVay said. “In terms of letting him go full-speed where he’s getting into some of those competitive periods, that might be something that we discuss about doing tomorrow with him. But, he’s in a good place right now and we feel like if we continue to take those steps, he’ll be in great shape to be ready to roll for that Indy game.”

ON TO GREEN BAY

While in years past, the NFL mandated teams cut down their roster to 75 men following the third exhibition game, this year, team’s were allowed to carry a 90-man roster all the way through the preseason. This means that come Saturday afternoon, the Rams’ will have to cut almost half of their active roster down to 53.

But before the big cut this weekend, the team still has one more game to prepare for. The Rams will travel to Green Bay to face the Packers on Thursday night.

On Monday, McVay reiterated the first-team offense and defense would not participate in the preseason finale, making way for a number of other players to participate.

“We’ve made the decision that we were going to get a chance to evaluate the guys that we’re not projecting as starters and get them an opportunity to compete against Green Bay,” McVay said after practice.

“Right now, especially on offense and defense and some of those key guys that we’re trying to continue and figure out on special teams, it’s going to be a great opportunity to evaluate some of those guys that fill will in those depth positions,” he added.

DICKERSON TO RETIRE AS A RAM

On Monday it was announced former Pro Football Hall of Fame and former Rams’ running back Eric Dickerson would sign a one-day contract, effective tomorrow, to continue his retirement as a member of the organization.

"It feels amazing to sign this contract and officially be a Los Angeles Ram for life," Dickerson said. "My passion for this organization during my playing days and for the players wearing Rams jerseys now, is undeniable. This is where my career started and this is where my heart is, so closing this chapter with the Rams back in Los Angeles feels right.”

During his time with the Rams, Dickerson broke the NFL rookie record for most yards gained in a season with 1,808 and the league single-season rushing record with 2,105 yards in his second year on the team.

ide receiver Sammy Watkins is one of the projected starters that will be held out of Thursday’s game. Though he is still relatively new to the Rams’ offense after being acquired from the Bills a few weeks ago, Watkins has steadily improved in his understanding of the playbook and has participated in the preseason contests against the Raiders and Chargers.

After practice on Monday Watkins addressed the media to discuss his transition to the Rams so far and his outlook moving forward. Catch up on his most interesting points below.

SAMMY WATKINS:

On how things have progressed throughout the preseason: Great. I am finally starting to play fast, enjoy and compete...I mean every receiver wants the ball. But at the same time, I’m really just pressing, trying to do everything right and get the plays down and get in shape. But the preseason is just for you to learn the plays and get comfortable with the guys, but like I said during the season it will be different, you’ll be calling different plays, getting different looks and watching film on the defenders.

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great interview with Malcolm Brown and why does it seem children of the military always seem well grounded although they move quite often? Brown is very humble and I love the way the guy runs, Faulk is right, he runs heavy and is quite nimble in the passing game as well.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Can't wait to see how the coaching staff unleash tavon on opening day. The colts will have no idea how the rams will use him.

They will also have no idea about the rams d. I guess one silver lining from starters hardly being in the field during pre-season.

Good times ahead.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Can't wait to see how the coaching staff unleash tavon on opening day. The colts will have no idea how the rams will use him.

They will also have no idea about the rams d. I guess one silver lining from starters hardly being in the field during pre-season.

Good times ahead.

I'm sure your right, But it makes me nervous waiting for the Colts game to get here!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams WR Tavon Austin comments on Sammy Watkins trade for first time
8/29/2017
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...fl-tavon-austin-sammy-watkins-trade-comments/

The first player people looked at when the Los Angeles Rams traded for Sammy Watkins was Tavon Austin. He was the team’s top receiver before the addition of Watkins, but his role is now a bit unclear in Sean McVay’s offense.The fact that he hadn’t bee practicing for weeks and missed most of the offseason didn’t help, seemingly pushing him down the depth chart behind guys like Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. Austin’s future in Los Angeles is still murky and he could be a trade chip come next year, but for now, he’s just focused on competing with his new teammate.

“To be honest, it’s competition — a brotherly competition, that’s how it is,” Austin said, via the team’s official site. “And I called a spade a spade. I haven’t been here since the new coaches have gotten here — I only had four days in this offense. So I understand.

“Definitely doesn’t mean that they don’t still have plans for me. And that’s where I’m at with it right now. I’m going to take it day after day. I know what I’m capable of. I know the things I can do on the field will definitely still help this team.” With the addition of Watkins, the Rams upgraded their receiving corps significantly. He’s a true No. 1 wideout with a big body and the ability to stretch the field over the top of the defense. With Kupp and Woods underneath, and Austin being a weapon offensively, the Rams have a solid group of playmakers.

“I can honestly say, I feel like this is probably the best group, for various reasons,” Austin said. “You’ve got different type of receivers who can do different things. None of us really are alike in what we do. Everybody brings something different to the table. So it’s definitely the best receivers group I’ve been around. And it’s competitive, too. So that’s always good for the team.”Austin took a step in the right direction on Monday when he returned to practice for the first time in weeks due to a hamstring injury. Despite not being a full participant, Austin is now well on his way to playing in Week 1, just as McVay said he would.

Hamstring injuries are touchy and can often be re-aggravated. That’s why the Rams have been very cautious with their receiver, with McVay even admitting Austin could have been a practiced fully if they weren’t being overly safe.
“He wasn’t a full participant. He might have been able to do that, but we’re going to be patient with him,” McVay said. “He went through the individual drills. He feels good. In terms of letting him go full-speed where he’s getting into some of those competitive periods that you just saw, that might be something that we discuss about doing tomorrow with him. But, he’s in a good place right now and we feel like if we continue to take those steps, he’ll be in great shape to be ready to roll for that Indy game.”Jared Goff has the best supporting cast any Rams quarterback has had in years, and it’s now up to him to make something of it.