Practice Report 8/27: Preparing for Indianapolis/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 8/27: Preparing for Indianapolis
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-827-Preparing-for-Indianapolis/c490c593-0334-45c2-8241-0a3a14090db1

The Rams continued their work in preparation for the third preseason game against the Colts on Thursday afternoon. Head coach Jeff Fisher said after the session that while yesterday’s practice was focused on physicality and the run game, today’s was more about agility and quickness.

“It’s great work,” Fisher said. “We tried to get some time between yesterday’s physical practice and then today, and today was more of a speed practice and it was good. We didn’t have any issues.”

The third exhibition contest is traditionally the so-called “dress rehearsal” for teams around the league. While Fisher does not necessarily adhere to that philosophy, the head coach said Thursday the team has been doing a bit more preparation for Indianapolis.

“We’re going to allow them to look at the opponent, spend a little more time preparing them,” Fisher said. “That doesn’t mean to say that we’re going to put a lot of new things in. We’re going to play. But we’ll just kind of get them a better feel for it.”

It’s probably fair to expect the starters to play more in this game than they have so far in the preseason. Fisher said earlier this week that there is a chance they could play to halftime, but it depends on the number of snaps the units get.

“It’s so hard to measure because if you’re defense gives up a 10-play drive and it lasts for six or seven minutes, then you’re cutting reps away from your offense,” Fisher said. “It’s all about time as they kind of relate to reps. I don’t think it’s necessary for us right now to go through halftime and come back. Most of our guys have done that before.”

If there are players who may have their on-field time substantially increased, they could come along the offensive line. Fisher has said throughout camp that he’s been pleased with the work from Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown at right tackle and right guard, respectively. And Fisher said today that they may get some extra snaps in order to more adequately prepare for Week 1.

“You’ll see JB and Rob play a little bit more. We need to get them some more live reps,” Fisher said. “But, again, I keep going back to the Dallas experience. Those were extra reps. But I think you’ll probably see them play most of the first half this week.”

Additionally, with Rodger Saffold temporarily sidelined with a shoulder injury, Demetrius Rhaney has been working at left guard. Rhaney has been one of the three players in competition to start at center, and according to Fisher, the Tennessee State product has done well shifting one slot to the left.

“The guard position, in his defense, is a little easier,” Fisher said. “There are a lot of things that go on with the center spot, and he’s handling that very well. But at the guard position, you just line up and play. And he’s done a good job there for us.”

Though the offensive line is not all settled just yet, Fisher said this time in practice presents good opportunities for players to get snaps where there may not be time to do so in the regular season.

“The expectation is that Rodger will be back,” Fisher said. “We’re moving people around so guys are getting a lot of valuable experience, especially Garrett [Reynolds]. Garrett is playing guard, playing tackle and all that. And same with Demetrius playing guard and center. So that’s really valuable experience for them.”

A LITTLE LUCK

It’s no secret that Andrew Luck is on the fast track to becoming an elite quarterback in the NFL. And while the Rams aren’t sure how much he’ll be in the game this week, Fisher said the quarterback will provide a good test for however many snaps he plays.

“He’s got a tremendously strong arm, quick release, sees the field, and then he’s mobile,” Fisher said. “He buys time in the pocket, scrambles around, and is really accurate on the run. He’s the complete package.”

But he’s not the only player who makes the Colts’ offense so effective.

“This week we have a great opponent in Indy who can light up a scoreboard in a heartbeat,” defensive end Robert Quinn said. “I think guys know we have a challenge within ourselves. And they’ve got Frank Gore back there, so we know how he runs. They have a talented team. We just need to put our pieces together and play how we know we can.”

CUT DAYS ARE COMING

Finally, following the third preseason game, the Rams will have to reduce their current roster from 90 players to 75 by Sept. 1. Fisher acknowledged how it’s a difficult time for many, but he makes the effort to be as empathetic as possible with the process.

“I will talk to every single player. I’ve always done that,” Fisher said. “It’s difficult. It’s never easy, especially when you go to 75 because you’re trying to project what you’re going to do in the fourth preseason game. But we’ll get through the process.”

With many returning players, Fisher said he has an idea for the majority of spots for the 53-man roster. But there are still jobs to be earned over the next couple weeks, which the young players understand.

“We’ve had discussions with them with respect to how important the third preseason game is, and that we have some tough decision to make,” Fisher said. “Then we make our decisions and you go ahead and tell them the same thing in the fourth preseason game.”

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brown fighting for a spot in Rams' crowded backfield
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_874d6478-5fdc-5192-bfd8-64a00ee075b8.html

The runway is always crowded at running back for Jeff Fisher teams. The Rams coach stacks them up like airplanes at a busy airport, and this year is no different.

Rookie Malcolm Brown is doing his best to move up in the pecking order. In college, he finished No. 9 in career rushing for the Texas Longhorns with 2,678 yards but went undrafted in the spring.

He put his best foot forward Sunday night in Tennessee, leading the team with four receptions for 78 yards and rushing four times for 23 yards. Fifty-four of those receiving yards came on one play — a short pass from rookie quarterback Sean Mannion that Brown took down the left sideline for a fourth-quarter touchdown.

“It was exciting,” Brown said. “I caught the ball, two guys kind of hit me and slung me around, kind of forced the spin move a little bit, and it was a tightrope on the sidelines. I just kept on running.”

The Titans challenged the play, thinking Brown might have stepped out of bounds. But the original ruling was upheld, and preseason or not Brown had his first NFL touchdown. Yes, he kept the football.

Whether he gets the opportunity to add any regular-season footballs to his TD collection remains to be seen. A crowded Rams running back room includes No. 10 overall pick Todd Gurley, 2014 all-rookie selection Tre Mason, and established backup Benny Cunningham.

There’s also former second-round pick Isaiah Pead, special teams ace Chase Reynolds, and promising second-year man Trey Watts.

That’s a tough unit to crack, even with Gurley probably not playing at the start of the season as he returns from college knee surgery and Watts suspended for the first four games.

“Yeah, there’s still a ton in there (in the RB room),” Brown said. “But you’ve got to come in with the mindset of just trying to do what you can. Not try to overdo it. I’m thankful for the opportunity first of all.”

Whether it’s running, blocking, or catching passes, Brown feels he has the skill set to be an every-down back. It remains to be seen if he’ll get that chance in St. Louis.

“Coaches and owners make decisions on cutting guys and stuff like that,” he said. “So I don’t focus too much on that.”

With the first round of roster cuts coming after Saturday’s preseason game against Indianapolis, Brown is among several players hoping to become the next Rodney McLeod, London Fletcher, or Kurt Warner — that is, the next roster long shot to make the team.

Here’s a look at a few others:

WR BRADLEY MARQUEZ

Marquez tried his hand at pro baseball as an outfielder in the New York Mets’ system. Now, he’s giving pro football a whirl as an undrafted rookie out of Texas Tech.“The minor leagues is a lot different than the NFL training and the NFL preseason games,” Marquez said. “But there’s some similarities, especially with the first few pro games that I was actually in.“It’s kinda that same excitement and butterfly feeling, to get that live action and know what you’re actually doing — playing minor league pro ball as well as playing in this league.”

The Rams have five experienced wideouts on their roster in Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt, Chris Givens, and Brian Quick. Fisher may very well keep just five wide receivers given his overall run-oriented, conservative offensive approach.

So Marquez, who caught 65 passes for 821 yards and 10 TDs last season at Texas Tech, may have to persuade him to keep six. Marquez does have five catches in preseason play, sharing the team lead with four others.

But he realizes his ticket to the 53-man roster probably must come via strong special teams play. Fisher took note of his efforts in that area after the Tennessee game, saying: “Bradley Marquez is showing he’s got some skills to play in this league on teams.”

Until now, Marquez hadn’t played special teams on a regular basis since his sophomore year in college. He’s getting a refresher course.

“It’s kinda like riding a bike; I’m just getting used to what I used to know back then,” he said. “I’m gonna try to do whatever I can for this team, whatever I can do to help make this team better, and special teams is where it’s at right now.”

Marquez has studied the work of several Rams special teams veterans on the field and on film looking for ways he can improve his game.

“I’m just trying to find a little spot in there somewhere, wherever I can,” Marquez said. “And the more versatile I am, it will help me the most.”

S CHRISTIAN BRYANT

The Rams liked Bryant’s toughness and passion for the game when they selected him in the seventh round of the 2014 draft out of Ohio State.But he missed half of his final year with the Buckeyes because of a broken ankle, and even though he spent last season on the Rams’ practice squad, he didn’t really feel right physically until the start of the OTA practice period in early June.“Health-wise, I’m feeling great honestly,” Bryant said. “I’m feeling like I’m making strides, getting better every day out here.”

Bryant spent part of the offseason back in Columbus, where he earned his undergraduate degree in sociology. While he was on campus, he worked out with the Buckeyes’ athletic trainers and strength coaches.

When he went back home to Cleveland, he worked with personal trainer Tim Roberts on speed and strength.

“I honestly just attacked the offseason,” Bryant said. “I knew exactly what I needed to do because if I would’ve come out here this year still doing the same exact thing that I did last year, I wouldn’t have had a shot.”

The numbers game is daunting at safety with Mark Barron, Maurice Alexander, and Cody Davis the top three backups behind starters T.J. McDonald and McLeod. The Rams probably will keep no more than five safeties.

“I’m not too worried about that,” Bryant said. “You can just control what you can control. I come out here every day trying to get better as a player. Try to show the coaches that I know the scheme of the defense at almost every position. I’ve been staying in my playbook, so I’m pretty much covered on the play side.”

Bryant feels he’s knocked off the rust from his long layoff. Although he was penalized twice on special teams Sunday, he made his presence felt on defense against Tennessee with four tackles and a forced fumble.

“I’m out here getting contact,” Bryant said. “I’m making some plays. I’m showing people that I have the ability to play in this league.”

LB BRYCE HAGER

Highly productive at Baylor, Hager is trying to become the second generation Hager to play for Fisher. (His father Britt, also a former Ram, played for Fisher in Philadelphia in 1989-90 when Fisher was defensive coordinator there.)Hager has taken advantage of injuries to Daren Bates (knee) and Korey Toomer (ankle) to make a run at a backup linebacker job.“It’s allowed me to play a little bit more, get a little bit more reps,” Hager said. “So I think that’s helping and getting me used to the system a little bit.”

He has played 90 defensive snaps so far this preseason, more than any Rams player (offense or defense). He also leads the team in tackles, with 12 this preseason.

“I guess that’s what preseason’s for, just so you have the young guys play ... and to see who can make the team,” Hager said.

As a backup linebacker, it’s all but a necessity to play multiple positions, and play special teams. After playing exclusively at middle linebacker in college, learning the weakside and strongside positions outside has been an adjustment for Hager.

“Going back and forth to positions, it’s kinda getting my head spinning,” Hager said. “Its starting to calm down a little bit.”

So the mental part of the game, particularly getting a feel for the outside linebacker spots, has meant a lot of time in the playbook and in the film room for Hager.

“Oh man, that’s all I’m doing,” he said.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Versatile Watts continues to impress
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_10784240-79e1-5cf9-be08-752dd2081419.html

Second-year running back and special-team standout Trey Watts is working just like he did a year ago, trying to earn a spot on the Rams’ 53-man roster.

But this year is different. In the offseason, Watts was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. He can practice through camp and take part in preseason games but once the season starts, he won’t be able to rejoin the Rams until Oct. 5 in preparation for that Sunday’s game against the Packers in Green Bay.

“I made a mistake and now I have to deal with it,” said Watts, 24. “I’m disappointed in myself because I feel like I let people down. I let my teammates down and I let my family down. But all I can do now is try to move forward. I can’t think about the suspension; on the football field, my focus has to be on football and right now, I’m just focused on pushing myself each day to become a better player.”

Signed as an undrafted free agent out of Tulsa University, the 5-foot-9, 208-pound Watts has been one of the Rams’ more productive players through the first two preseason contests. After rushing for 16 yards and catching a pair of passes in an 18-3 loss at Oakland, he stepped up in the second half of Sunday’s 27-14 loss at Tennessee with 53 yards on six rushing attempts (8.8 per carry) and caught three passes for 46 yards, including 33 on a screen pass from Case Keenum just after halftime.

“I had a lot of fun,” said Watts, whose production has come largely against the other teams’ reserves. “Anytime you get an opportunity, you want to make the most of it because you never know how many touches, how many reps, you’re going to get. Every year, it’s a battle to make the 53-man roster, especially for someone in my position. There’s probably a little more pressure (because of the suspension), but I’m a guy who’s always thrived under pressure.

“My goal is to make it hard for the coaches. I want to impress them by showing that I know the ins and outs of the offense and that I can perform. I need to show them that I can come back after four weeks and help this football team.”

Watts flashed his versatility last year with the Rams, appearing in 14 games as rookie. He ran three times for 18 yards, caught seven passes for 30 yards and finished among the special teams leaders with nine tackles.

He credited his success against the Titans to his teammates.

“The offensive line, they really did a great job,” he said. “I’ve been blessed with pretty good athletic ability and quick feet, so I mainly just trust my eyes to find open space. On the screen, once I slipped by the blitzer, there was no one to cover me. Any time you’re running downfield with your offensive linemen, you definitely feel safe and protected.”

GIVENS GOES DEEP

With the Rams needing something — anything — to provide a spark Sunday in Nashville, fourth-year wideout Chris Givens delivered.

On a first down in the third quarter, Givens beat his man with a quick move at the line and then ran under a well-thrown pass from Keenum for an 80-yard touchdown, the Rams’ first TD of the preseason.

“Once I lined up and saw the coverage, my only thought was ‘catch it and run,’” Givens said. “I knew the play was there and Case put it right on the money. It felt good.”

Had to feel like old times for Givens, who set an NFL rookie record in 2012 with five consecutive games with at least one catch of 50-plus yards. That season, in 15 games and 12 starts, Givens had 42 catches, a team-leading 698 yards and three touchdowns.

Givens made 34 catches for 569 yards but did not score in 2013. Last year, he had just 11 receptions for 159 yards, including a 47-yard TD catch.

“I just want to go out and make plays,” he said. “I think we’re a team that will attack more vertically this year because we have a lot of guys with that ability.”

Once considered just a deep threat, Givens has worked hard to make himself a more complete receiver.

“Before, I was running either this route or that route, and the DBs knew it, too,” Givens said. “Now, we’re so far from that... Working at so many different spots, it keeps it more fun for me and can also open things up for the whole offense.”

RAM-BLINGS

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said the team will take a slightly different approach in Saturday’s 7 p.m. preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts at the Edward Jones Dome.

“We’re going to allow them to look at the opponent, spend a little more time just kind of preparing them,” the coach said. “But that doesn’t mean to say we’re going to put a lot of new things in. ... We’re just trying to get them a better feel for it.”

• Not practicing Thursday: cornerback Brandon McGee, linebackers Daren Bates and Korey Toomer, tackles Rodger Saffold and Andrew Donnal, tight end Brad Smelley and defensive tackles Nick Fairley and Doug Worthington. Starting defensive tackles Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald did not participate in team (11 on 11).

With Saffold out, Demetrius Rhaney continued to work at left guard. Rhaney, Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes have been rotating at the center spot. On Thursday, Mizzou product Barnes worked with the starters.

• Hall of Fame defensive back Aeneas Williams took in Thursday’s workout. Also on hand was former NFL QB Jeff Blake, the father of Rams WR Emory Blake.

======================

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, it sounds like Fisher is settling in on Rhaney being the main backup at C and LG. I don't think he wins the starting Center job after reading this.

Watts has looked too good to ignore. He should make the team over Pead. I know many are down on Bennie but I really think he is in the group that has seen it before and just doesn't play that hard in the preseason. It almost seems like Fisher doesn't want any starters to try hard in the offseason. Bennie has played well enough to earn his spot over the last two seasons. Cunningham hasn't looked any worse than any of the other starters.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It’s probably fair to expect the starters to play more in this game than they have so far in the preseason. Fisher said earlier this week that there is a chance they could play to halftime, but it depends on the number of snaps the units get.
About time....
I know many are down on Bennie but I really think he is in the group that has seen it before and just doesn't play that hard in the preseason.....Cunningham hasn't looked any worse than any of the other starters.
For a former UDFA to think that he could cruise, coast and still make the squad.....Man, he's a backup, and missing that hole on 3rd and 2....How do you just cut Watts & Brown for a guy going easy? I'd keep Benny, but barely...Backup RB is a huge role, any minute you could be the man....RB's get hurt all the time....A solid player is expected. Right now, I'd be more comfortable with Pead, Watts, and maybe Brown. I hope we can stash Brown on the PS...I think this 5-star recruit (I like calling him that) could really develop with a year of professional conditioning...I actually have Chase Reynolds getting cut when Watt returns in 5 weeks..Chase doesn't wanna see the ball...Can't believe a pure ST'er would make the roster over actual players with roles & positions...IMO, any backup RB, LB,TE, or S can play most of the core ST's....and play them well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm going on Record...Rams kick their ass...

Rams 31
Dolts 17

MrMotes

Starter
It used to be in the 3rd preseason game you'd play your starters into the 2nd half, get them accustomed to going through halftime and coming back out. And then you'd pretty much shut the starters down for the 4th game.

Fisher won't be playing his starters that long tomorrow. Will he play them more than most in the 4th game as he sometimes has?

Big Game

Living The Dream
It used to be in the 3rd preseason game you'd play your starters into the 2nd half, get them accustomed to going through halftime and coming back out. And then you'd pretty much shut the starters down for the 4th game.

Fisher won't be playing his starters that long tomorrow. Will he play them more than most in the 4th game as he sometimes has?

Actually Fisher has stated in some of his recent interviews that this year they are doing a little more game planning against Indy and that we wants to score with the first unit. So we may see them play to the half.

And the fourth preseason game may be more of a tryout for guys who may not make the team.

I do think he plays the starters for some lenght depending on how they move the ball. He also said that Quick will play.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“We’re going to allow them to look at the opponent, spend a little more time preparing them,” Fisher said. “That doesn’t mean to say that we’re going to put a lot of new things in. We’re going to play. But we’ll just kind of get them a better feel for it.”
This^ sounds like scheming, to me!! and I want to see a little of it in this game!!:D

Additionally, with Rodger Saffold temporarily sidelined with a shoulder injury, Demetrius Rhaney has been working at left guard. Rhaney has been one of the three players in competition to start at center, and according to Fisher, the Tennessee State product has done well shifting one slot to the left.
This sounds like a way of seeing who's a keeper and who's NOT to me! JMHO

GO RAMS!!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think I keep Malcolm Brown over Pead.

I like Malcolm Brown but I'm not sure I've seen him contribute on Special Teams. I think that is really where Pead earns his spot. Once Pead really dedicated himself to ST he started to show his true athleticism. He and Watts are both very good as gunners. With Gurley being out early and Watts being suspended the first four. We could see Pead and Brown making the team - at least to start the season.

I really don't know that I can see Reynolds being cut. We shall see though. . .

fearsomefour

Legend
Right now, I'd be more comfortable with Pead, Watts, and maybe Brown. I hope we can stash Brown on the PS...I think this 5-star recruit (I like calling him that) could really develop with a year of professional conditioning...I actually have Chase Reynolds getting cut when Watt returns in 5 weeks..Chase doesn't wanna see the ball...Can't believe a pure ST'er would make the roster over actual players with roles & positions...IMO, any backup RB, LB,TE, or S can play most of the core ST's....and play them well.
The thing you have to remember is Reynolds had double....double the number of ST tackles as the next closest guy on the Rams. He is a keep to me on that alone.
The problem with Cunningham is he has a similar style to Mason without his speed and at times goes down easily. Guys like Pead and Watts that serve in that more third down pass catching roll have a value as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The thing you have to remember is Reynolds had double....double the number of ST tackles as the next closest guy on the Rams. He is a keep to me on that alone.
Point well taken, but IDK....You think ST's would suffer without Reynolds? Or would we really not even notice? What if Bryant was to play teams? Mo Alexander? Hell, Hagar the LB from Baylor? It was like Ray Ray...great ST'er...but hardly missed...

fearsomefour

Legend
Point well taken, but IDK....You think ST's would suffer without Reynolds? Or would we really not even notice? What if Bryant was to play teams? Mo Alexander? Hell, Hagar the LB from Baylor? It was like Ray Ray...great ST'er...but hardly missed...
Who knows?
I remember well when the Rams ST were terrible year in and year out and don't miss it one bit.
For his salary it is not worth the risk to me to cut him in favor of another RB who is not going to see the field if all goes according to plan. There are limited ways the #6 WR or #5 or 6 LB or last RB on the depth chart can contribute in a meaningful way....special teams. Reynolds has proven his worth in this department....being the leading special teams tackler by a pretty wide margin the last couple of years. Could he be replaced? Maybe.
But why?
It doesn't make sense.
If keeping Reynolds meant keeping 5 WRs instead of 6 (so that an extra RB is kept) I would make that trade off all day. To me Gurley, Mason and pick your next two (for me it is Pead and Watts) gives the Rams plenty of RB depth before Reynolds. Like I said, if you are counting on your 5th RB to contribute to the O it is probably over anyway.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
To me Gurley, Mason and pick your next two (for me it is Pead and Watts) gives the Rams plenty of RB depth before Reynolds.
RB's by talent:
Gurley, Mason, Pead, Watts, Cunningham...
By teams:
Cunningham, Pead, Watts, Mason, Reynolds....

Anybody can run down and make a tackle...We really need more play-makers.

fearsomefour

Legend
RB's by talent:
Gurley, Mason, Pead, Watts, Cunningham...
By teams:
Cunningham, Pead, Watts, Mason, Reynolds....

Anybody can run down and make a tackle...We really need more play-makers.
Disagree in terms of anyone being able to be good at special teams.
If that were the case he wouldn't be the best every year.
To me Cunningham is odd man out. He is a between the tackles runner without exceptional speed behind two power runners that are better than him. He also misses holes sometimes.
It is a good problem to have as the Rams had no depth behind Jackson for years.
Gurley, Mason, Pead, Watts, Reynolds....that is my RB group.
Quick, Britt, Austin, Bailey, Givens, Williams at WR. Kendricks, Cook, Harkey at TE.
An argument could be made to keep 5 WRs or 4 TEs. If I wanted to keep an extra RB and say 5 WRs I would have to decide between Brown and Cunningham.
We will see.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If that were the case he wouldn't be the best every year.
hmm, he wasn't the best, Ray Ray owned that honor a couple years ago...going by tackles....Which makes my point. The best teamer seems to be any anonymous player, from year to year. Probably based on luck and effort. Who ever happens to be in the right place at the right time...I wouldn't doubt Pead could be the "best" teamer, if put in the right circumstances....Hence, I also believe Malcolm Brown could be a valuable teamer...And why I would keep him since he appears to be a superior runner.