Practice Recap: Joyner Makes a Statement

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Posted Jul 29, 2014

Kevin OrrisStLouisRams.com@StLouisRams

The Rams sported shoulder pads as a 90-man roster for the first time today in front of a crowd of over 1,000 dedicated fans at Rams Park in Earth City, Mo.

“Today was really what we expected,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. “There were no issues, except we made a lot of big plays on both sides of the ball.

Sam Bradford wasted no time getting started in team drills, completing touchdown passes toBrian Quick, Kenny Britt and Austin Pettis. Most notably, Britt hauled in a difficult ball with second-year defensive back Brandon McGee in his face.

“He loves playing the game,” Fisher said of Britt. “He feels good. He’s making a lot of plays for us.”

Fisher also credits Britt for bringing along Quick, a receiver of a similar ilk.

“Kenny may make a mistake as far as an incorrect route here or there, but he does it going full speed,” Fisher stated. “Brian, early on in his career, if he wasn’t sure, he wasn’t quite full speed. I think Brian’s learning just to go. Good things happen when you’re running hard.”

NEWS AND NOTES

- Michael Sam boasted about the help he has received from his fellow defensive linemen after practice today.

“Chris [Long], Eugene [Sims], Robert [Quinn], they’re all helping me,” Sam said. “They want me to make this team. They’re excited that I’m here. I couldn’t have gone to a better D-line.”

Sam also had the chance to catch up with his former Mizzou coaches, including Defensive Coordinator Dave Steckel and Defensive Line Coach Craig Kuligowski.

“Their report day is Sunday, so it was good seeing those guys,” Sam said.

- Shaun Hill delivered a beautiful pass to undrafted free agent Jordan Harris along the sideline as he crossed the goal line for a touchdown in team drills.

- Cory Harkey pulled in a spectacular one-handed catch, drawing excitement from the offense before turning upfield and taking a hit from Lamarcus Joyner, which predictably drew excitement from the defense.

WATCH: One-on-One with Lamarcus Joyner

- Garrett Gilbert found Chris Givens for a touchdown on the right side of the end zone, but was then intercepted by Joyner on the very next play. Cody Davis also came up with an interception late in practice.

- Third-round pick Tre Masonreceived first-team reps during a portion of team drills today.

- Undrafted free agent running backTrey Watts continues to impress with the third-team offense. Today marked the second time he made it through the line of scrimmage untouched and into the secondary.

The team will take tomorrow off before practice at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, 3:30 p.m. on Friday and at 12:30 p.m. at #RamsFanFest on Saturday at the Edward Jones Dome. Stay tuned for coverage throughout training camp right here at www.stlouisrams.com.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Seems like all the WRs are hauling in touchdowns on McGee

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am so glad to hear all these good things about Quick,we need him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am so glad to hear all these good things about Quick,we need him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Seems like all the WRs are hauling in touchdowns on McGee

Yep. I hope McGee is actually playing awesome and the receivers are just that good. It makes more sense to say McGee is getting picked on for good reason.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I wonder if Fisher knew Britt would be such a positive influence on Quick? What a luxury it is having a real coach!

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher is command of this ship. Some teams in the league the coach is not in charge.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I wonder if Fisher knew Britt would be such a positive influence on Quick? What a luxury it is having a real coach!
I don't think he could have predicted that, but it's definitely a bonus. Seems like Britt knows this is his last shot and he's trying to make the most of it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“Brian, early on in his career, if he wasn’t sure, he wasn’t quite full speed. I think Brian’s learning just to go. Good things happen when you’re running hard.”

Didn't Snead say the same thing in another interview?

Could Tre Watts steal Pead's roster spot?

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
He said "difficult ball with McGee in his face." Sounds like McGee's ok. It was just a great catch.