Post Senior Bowl Mock Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cut

Jared Cook
Nick Foles
Chris Long
James Laurinaitis.
Rodger Saffold
Trey Watts
Kenny Britt

(All moves that make sense. Watts is suspended for an entire season. No sense in keeping him. The others are cap casualties. Laurinaitis has been atrocious this year, as has Long. They are amazing leaders and people, but it's time to let them go. Cook and Saffold make way too much for what they provide. Foles is just...ugh. It was a mistake to extend him. Losing Britt stinks, but it's the only way to manage the cap.)

Re-sign

Trumaine Johnson - five years.
Janoris Jenkins - five years after franchise tag.
Mark Barron (LB) - four years.
Rodney McLeod - three years.
Cory Harkey - two years.
William Hayes - two years.
Case Keenum - RFA.
Benny Cunningham - RFA.
Daren Bates - RFA.
Cody Davis - RFA.

(RFAs are obvious. I've changed my mind on McLeod; he deserves that opportunity to start. Tru and Janoris should be locking down the secondary along with McLeod. I'd move Barron to linebacker and re-sign him. If Carolina can start mostly light linebackers and be a top ranked defense, I don't see why we can't do the same. Harkey is the the most underrated part of our offense. Keenum should be given the backup job.)

Not re-signed

Tim Barnes
Eugene Sims
Nick Fairley
Greg Zuerlein
Brian Quick
Chase Reynolds
Brian Folkerts
Eric Kush

(Sims and Barnes are the only ones I regret letting go, but they'll make too much on the open market, and in Barnes' case, there's no longer a hometown discount. Fairley is talented, but an expensive third tackle, Zuerlein is horribly inconsistent, Quick is damaged goods, Folkerts and Kush are backups to the backups when we're at full strength, and Reynolds is purely special teams.)

Free Agency

Coby Fleener - five years, 7 million per year.
Rishard Matthews - four years, 4 million per year.
Akiem Hicks - two years, 2.5 million per year.

(Matthews provides the number two receiver presence that would be needed for this team, and Hicks is good for a third tackle...but it's Vernon and Fleener who are the real prizes. Vernon would be an immediate impact starter over at left end. Fleener brings a presence much like Greg Olsen did for the Panthers, and he'd be solid.)

Trade

Lance Kendricks to New York Giants for 3rd round pick.

(I like Kendricks, but if we could pry a high second day pick for him, we should. And yes, I do believe that the Giants will be seeking tight end help in the form of a trade. Also, we haven't screwed them over yet, so we need to do that. :p)

Trade Sean Mannion to New York Jets for their 2017 fourth round pick.

(Don't like Mannion, and with a franchise quarterback of our own, there's no real reason to keep him.)

Draft (As a note, all of the draft picks are at or below our selections ranked at CBSSports.com)

#15 overall - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis.

(I actually have Lynch above Wentz, so this works out perfectly. He reminds me of Roethlisberger, except more mature.)

2nd (Eagles) - Josh Doctson, WR, TCU.

(Doctson is a threat in the redzone, can jump through the roof, and has soft hands. Is a breed of Jordan Matthews and DeVante Parker mixed together.)

2nd - Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford.

(Hooper isn't the type who will burn you down the field, but from intermediate range, he's fantastic. Probably the anti-Cook; he won't wow you physically, but he's just a good football player.)

3rd (Giants) - De'Runnya Wilson, WR, Mississippi State.

(Absolute stud in the mold of Kelvin Benjamin. Physical, great athletic gifts. Worth a shot in the third.)

3rd - Aziz Shittu, DE, Stanford.

(Probably the William Hayes replacement. Was an exceptional starter after spending years in a backup role. As a note, he excelled at the Shrine Game.)

4th - Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona.

(Undersized bloodhound who put up gaudy statistics. More of Chris Borland type, but I see some of Kuechly in him.)

6th - Evan Boehm, C, Missouri.

(Built like a Coke machine, and is a bonafide center who could take the reigns from Barnes.)

Priority UDFAs

Wayne Lyons, FS/CB, Michigan.
Kenya Dennis, CB, Missouri.
Connor McGovern, G/C, Missouri.
Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas State.
Brad Craddock, K, Maryland.

(No idea why Lyons fell so much, but I'll take him. McGovern adds the strongest person in Mizzou's weight room (even moreso than Boehm), and Griswold looked promising. Craddock is now apparently not rated as being drafted, so let's get him here.)

53 Man

QB - Paxton Lynch, Case Keenum.
RB - Todd Gurley, Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Malcolm Brown.
WR - Rishard Matthews, Tavon Austin, Josh Doctson, De'Runnya Wilson, Bradley Marquez.
TE - Coby Fleener, Austin Hooper, Cory Harkey ,Darion Griswold.
OL - Greg Robinson, Jamon Brown, Evan Boehm, Cody Wichmann, Rob Havenstein, Isaiah Battle, Darrell Williams, Garrett Reynolds, Andrew Donnal, Connor McGovern.
DL - Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, William Hayes, Aziz Shittu, Matt Longacre, Ethan Westbrooks, Louis Trinca-Pasat, Akiem Hicks.
LB - Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron, Scooby Wright III, Daren Bates, Bryce Hager, Akeem Ayers.
DB - Rodney McLeod, T.J. McDonald, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner, E.J. Gaines, Cody Davis, Mo Alexander, Marcus Roberson, Wayne Lyons.
ST - Brad Craddock, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

Thoughts would be great.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Just hearing you've changed your mind on McLeod makes me happy

I've been his biggest fan since his rookie year coming in undrafted from Virginia and being a special team ace - he's one of my favorite Rams ever

I really like Doctson but doubt he'll get out of the 1st round

Not sure about the amount of Free Agents you have is signing considering next years FA's but I really like Fleener --Interesting seeing you go dual Stanford TE's one FA and one in the draft

Mannion is not going anywhere though and will at least be a solid backup for years to come if not an eventual starter

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of guys I haven't finished evaluations on yet so not much I can say on the draft. We took a QB. So that's already makes it a winner to me. Still think the trades are way too optimistic but that's just my opinion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Never understand trades, there is no way the Jets trade a draft choice for Mannion IMO, they have Bryce Petty and they like him, however, I like taking Lynch, but I don't think he'll last till 15.

Agree with the cuts and some of the free agent signings and it's always fun to read these so keep them coming, but I could see a conditional pick for Mannion unless somebody really liked him and IMO the team that liked him most drafted him.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never understand trades, there is no way the Jets trade a draft choice for Mannion IMO, they have Bryce Petty and they like him, however, I like taking Lynch, but I don't think he'll last till 15.

Agree with the cuts and some of the free agent signings and it's always fun to read these so keep them coming, but I could see a conditional pick for Mannion unless somebody really liked him and IMO the team that liked him most drafted him.

I agree, not only does that trade especially not make sense but the returns on both trades are a round or two higher than I think we'd get.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't like moving Kendricks. Cut Cook absolutely, add to the position please for the love of F. But I'd keep Lance around he's worth more to the Rams than he would be in trade.

Waiting to 15 scares the crap out of me but if the Rams do that and still get Lynch they're gonna come out of this draft looking very good. I have Lynch as a top 10 prospect, but they do need to be careful not to rush him. Really nice pick at 15, great value and a severe need.

Doctson and Wilson in rounds 2 and 3 would be great picks and the result of right place at right time since Doctson is a longshot to get to our first pick in round 2. I'd be very, very happy with those two additions.

Hooper would be a nice boost in the passing game with those hands, no doubt. But I suspect Vannett in that range is more Fish's preference since he can mash defenders but also catches well when thrown to. He also had a strong Senior Bowl which will factor in his favor given the Rams' staff and how well they blanket those practices.

Boehm is my favorite center in this draft. If they got him in round 6 I would be ecstatic. Perfect fit for this team.

I like it overall last comment for me is a veteran WR is needed when looking at that roster. They will 100% pursue a FA wideout who can come in and help this offense immediately. That's gonna happen, IMO.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya, I agree we won't be able to land a top 3 QB if we are still seating @15 imho. Also I like keeping Lance around. Love your Free Agent signing list including our resigning group. Like the TEs we would have. My only question I have is what other TEs were still on the board for us? Could we have drafted Henry vs. Hooper? Good read as always

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a pretty deep draft for QB so I can't see a team offering a 4th rounder for a qb that didn't show anything
I like Doctson a lot. And IMO if his wrist is healed he's a 1st rounder. If it's not, then he'll drop and I'm not sure we're in a position to take the riak

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not too bad. I liked all your Cuts & Releases with the exception of Kenny Britt. Rams so light on talent & skill in this unit where the only legit WR is Britt. I could not release the only WR we have.

On your Resign unit....looks great but I would not use the Franchise Tag on JJ but would consider it strongly using the Transition Tag. I might look for shorter time deals on Barron & McLeod.

On your Not to be Resigned list ...look real good I have only one issue...Tim Barnes IMO your decision would be a bad one by a far amount.

On the UFA signings I not going to be with you on either WR signs. I also want a pass catching TE. I not trading Lance Kendricks but going to run him as the #1 TE and see how it goes in 2016. I also using HB/TE/FB Cory Harkey into Lance's 2014/2015 position. I going to get HB Justice Cunningham & Zack Laskey duo the FB duties. Laskey has great hands & has moves & some speed. I would then sign either veteran TE Ben Watson or TE Zack Miller to shorter deals & much less $$$ to go with a heavy operational two TE offense.

I can't get my small mind on a mock draft due to some many elements can go wrong with these Ram free agents like herding cats. I know one thing none of those three QB's will be there @ #15. Leaving a DL talented bounty instead.