Post-Combine Team Changes & Mock Draft 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
FAs signed: OT Whitworth, WR Robert Woods, QB Aaron Murray, LB Lance Dunbar, CB Kayvon Webster, OLB Connor Barwin, should sign FA Center John Sullivan from the Redskins (blocked for both Brett Favre and A.P.) that knows McVay's offense and can work with Whitworth to teach the young OLine talent.

Cut or traded: Hayes, Sims, Kendricks, and Barnes freeing up $15.6 million in 2017 salary-cap space, roughly two-thirds of which the Rams can use on other free agents.

FA Tags or Re-signings: K Greg “the Leg” Zuerlein. CB Trumaine Johnson (still hope the Rams get out of this contract by trading Tru for a high draft pick). Will T.J. McDonald be on the team in 2017?

Mock Draft 2.0: Focus is getting additional Top 122 picks - especially without a 1st round pick. Plan for the long-term with BPA and players who drop due to injury in 2016 to challenge for playoffs as the Rams move into their new stadium.

2 (5-37) Trade back for additional picks: Trade with Buffalo (44) and 3rd round pick (75th) so Bills get their QB of the future Pat Mahomes. With Deshaun Watson gone in the first, Mahomes could be the Derrick Carr of the 2017 draft and that’s why the Bills can’t wait until pick 44 to grab him.

2 (5-44 - from Bills) TE Evan Engram. He had an insane combine workout - 4 bests of position measurements (4.42 40 at 236 lbs, 36" vert, 6.92 3-cone, 4.23 shuttle) great numbers for a WR let alone a TE. I’ve advocated since the Cheatriots were dominant with their 2 TEs Gronk and Hernandez, that the Rams should try to have the most dominant set of TEs in the NFC. With a young QB developing in Goff, it makes sense to let McVay try to duplicate the hybrid WR/TE he had with Jordan Reed and match him with Higbee or Hemingway for the next 6-8 years. Jared Goff would benefit tremendously by having the dual TE threat that would create significant options within 20 yards of the LOS rather than having a dominant WR#1 from this draft class. Let 2017 be the year Goff gets used to his dual TE safety outlets, the Rams coaching staff works out which WRs on the team will secure starting slots going forward, and use 2018 cap space on FA WR DeAndre Hopkins.

Another receiving option is WR Zay Jones, East Carolina. But the key here is the Rams walk away from the draft with a dominant receiver and center by trading back from 37 and getting 2 Top 75 picks.

3 (5-69) Trade with Vikings for their 80th and 122nd picks: Vikings have 2 picks in both the 3rd and 4th rounds and an absolute need for quality to rebuild their Oline and protect Bradford. Since there are few first round OL in the 2017 draft several will go in the 2nd and will slip into the 3rd and Vikings need to grab one in each round. Vikings see OT Erik Magnuson (Michigan) slip into the 3rd but believe he won’t make it to the 75th pick so they trade for the Rams 69th pick.

3 (5-75 - from Bills) C/G Ethan Pocic, LSU: Rams get their Center and future captain of the OLine with ability to seize the job in 2017. As specified above, sign FA Center John Sullivan from the Redskins.

3 (80 - from Vikings) CB Sidney Jones – Washington: Huge value draft pick like JAX did with Myles Jack and the Cowboys with Jaylon Smith on potential Top 5 picks. Achilles rupture takes one of the top CBs and potential Top 20 picks out of the first 37 picks which hurts the Rams if they are targeting a CB at 37. You need to have a lot of confidence in your medical evaluations, but I have no problem red-shirting him - especially with the reports of the Rams signing Denver CB Kayvon Webster to a two-year deal (according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com) and pencil him in as a starter in 2018 replacing Trumaine if they don't work out a long-term deal. The additional benefit is if Sidney is taken as a 3rd rounder, his rookie contract will be much less adding additional savings over his 5-year first contract.

3 (100 - compensatory) – Goes to Titans

4 (112) 3-4 OLB Daeshon Hall, Texas A&M: Tall, athletic, edge rusher who offers versatility for Wade’s defense.

4 (122 from Vikings) OT Brad Seaton, Villanova: Ideal LT size (6-8, 325 lbs., 34.5” arms), he was injured for most of 2015, but returned for a strong senior year in 2016 on a Villanova team that had a strong OL play.

4 (141-compensatory) SS Josh Jones, N.C. State: Probably losing TJ McDonald. Grab tall, aggressive, starting caliber SS who also proved he has the hands to intercept passes.

5 (149) Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia: 1-year wonder that didn’t impress at the Senior Bowl allows him to slip to this point of the draft. He’s a tall corner who tied as the nation's leader with 8 interceptions. He also recorded 70 tackles and eight passes broken up.

6 (191) Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State: Small school guy with tremendous athleticism (6'-3", 4.4 40, 41" vertical and 11-4 broad jump). Potential major sleeper pick.

Another option is RB Marcus Cox, Appalachian State: 5’10” 205 stud with huge college production. Signing RB Lance Dunbar decreases this need but I’d be hard pressed to not select an RB in this deep RB class.

6 (206 - From trading Hayes to Dolphins): Jalen Reeves-Maybin, OLB/ILB, Tennessee: This is another future roster, value draft pick that slips due to losing his senior season early to a shoulder injury. He may need 2017 to rehab and bulk up for NFL play since he’s on the smaller side (5-11 and 230 lbs). Impressive production in the toughest conference (SEC). Has very good cover talent and can be a three-down LB as either OLB or ILB.

7 (236 - from Baltimore for Chris Givens trade) FB Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech: Rams should install a real FB into their offense and Rogers is the most talented one in the draft. He’s a solid blocker with great versatility. In 2016, he had 67 carries, 283 yards, 2 TDs rushing along with 24 receptions, 301 yards & 4 TDs receiving. He also threw a touchdown pass. In the 2015 season against Ohio State he has a 16-yard run, hit a block on two defenders to spring his back for a long run, and then caught a 51-yard TD on a wheel route with a superb run after the catch. He can also contribute on Special Teams.

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
FAs signed: OT Whitworth, WR Robert Woods, QB Aaron Murray, LB Lance Dunbar, CB Kayvon Webster, OLB Connor Barwin, should sign FA Center John Sullivan from the Redskins (blocked for both Brett Favre and A.P.) that knows McVay's offense and can work with Whitworth to teach the young OLine talent.

Cut or traded: Hayes, Sims, Kendricks, and Barnes freeing up $15.6 million in 2017 salary-cap space, roughly two-thirds of which the Rams can use on other free agents.

FA Tags or Re-signings: K Greg “the Leg” Zuerlein. CB Trumaine Johnson (still hope the Rams get out of this contract by trading Tru for a high draft pick). Will T.J. McDonald be on the team in 2017?

Mock Draft 2.0: Focus is getting additional Top 122 picks - especially without a 1st round pick. Plan for the long-term with BPA and players who drop due to injury in 2016 to challenge for playoffs as the Rams move into their new stadium.

2 (5-37) Trade back for additional picks: Trade with Buffalo (44) and 3rd round pick (75th) so Bills get their QB of the future Pat Mahomes. With Deshaun Watson gone in the first, Mahomes could be the Derrick Carr of the 2017 draft and that’s why the Bills can’t wait until pick 44 to grab him.

2 (5-44 - from Bills) TE Evan Engram. He had an insane combine workout - 4 bests of position measurements (4.42 40 at 236 lbs, 36" vert, 6.92 3-cone, 4.23 shuttle) great numbers for a WR let alone a TE. I’ve advocated since the Cheatriots were dominant with their 2 TEs Gronk and Hernandez, that the Rams should try to have the most dominant set of TEs in the NFC. With a young QB developing in Goff, it makes sense to let McVay try to duplicate the hybrid WR/TE he had with Jordan Reed and match him with Higbee or Hemingway for the next 6-8 years. Jared Goff would benefit tremendously by having the dual TE threat that would create significant options within 20 yards of the LOS rather than having a dominant WR#1 from this draft class. Let 2017 be the year Goff gets used to his dual TE safety outlets, the Rams coaching staff works out which WRs on the team will secure starting slots going forward, and use 2018 cap space on FA WR DeAndre Hopkins.

Another receiving option is WR Zay Jones, East Carolina. But the key here is the Rams walk away from the draft with a dominant receiver and center by trading back from 37 and getting 2 Top 75 picks.

3 (5-69) Trade with Vikings for their 80th and 122nd picks: Vikings have 2 picks in both the 3rd and 4th rounds and an absolute need for quality to rebuild their Oline and protect Bradford. Since there are few first round OL in the 2017 draft several will go in the 2nd and will slip into the 3rd and Vikings need to grab one in each round. Vikings see OT Erik Magnuson (Michigan) slip into the 3rd but believe he won’t make it to the 75th pick so they trade for the Rams 69th pick.

3 (5-75 - from Bills) C/G Ethan Pocic, LSU: Rams get their Center and future captain of the OLine with ability to seize the job in 2017. As specified above, sign FA Center John Sullivan from the Redskins.

3 (80 - from Vikings) CB Sidney Jones – Washington: Huge value draft pick like JAX did with Myles Jack and the Cowboys with Jaylon Smith on potential Top 5 picks. Achilles rupture takes one of the top CBs and potential Top 20 picks out of the first 37 picks which hurts the Rams if they are targeting a CB at 37. You need to have a lot of confidence in your medical evaluations, but I have no problem red-shirting him - especially with the reports of the Rams signing Denver CB Kayvon Webster to a two-year deal (according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com) and pencil him in as a starter in 2018 replacing Trumaine if they don't work out a long-term deal. The additional benefit is if Sidney is taken as a 3rd rounder, his rookie contract will be much less adding additional savings over his 5-year first contract.

3 (100 - compensatory) – Goes to Titans

4 (112) 3-4 OLB Daeshon Hall, Texas A&M: Tall, athletic, edge rusher who offers versatility for Wade’s defense.

4 (122 from Vikings) OT Brad Seaton, Villanova: Ideal LT size (6-8, 325 lbs., 34.5” arms), he was injured for most of 2015, but returned for a strong senior year in 2016 on a Villanova team that had a strong OL play.

4 (141-compensatory) SS Josh Jones, N.C. State: Probably losing TJ McDonald. Grab tall, aggressive, starting caliber SS who also proved he has the hands to intercept passes.

5 (149) Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia: 1-year wonder that didn’t impress at the Senior Bowl allows him to slip to this point of the draft. He’s a tall corner who tied as the nation's leader with 8 interceptions. He also recorded 70 tackles and eight passes broken up.

6 (191) Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State: Small school guy with tremendous athleticism (6'-3", 4.4 40, 41" vertical and 11-4 broad jump). Potential major sleeper pick.

Another option is RB Marcus Cox, Appalachian State: 5’10” 205 stud with huge college production. Signing RB Lance Dunbar decreases this need but I’d be hard pressed to not select an RB in this deep RB class.

6 (206 - From trading Hayes to Dolphins): Jalen Reeves-Maybin, OLB/ILB, Tennessee: This is another future roster, value draft pick that slips due to losing his senior season early to a shoulder injury. He may need 2017 to rehab and bulk up for NFL play since he’s on the smaller side (5-11 and 230 lbs). Impressive production in the toughest conference (SEC). Has very good cover talent and can be a three-down LB as either OLB or ILB.

7 (236 - from Baltimore for Chris Givens trade) FB Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech: Rams should install a real FB into their offense and Rogers is the most talented one in the draft. He’s a solid blocker with great versatility. In 2016, he had 67 carries, 283 yards, 2 TDs rushing along with 24 receptions, 301 yards & 4 TDs receiving. He also threw a touchdown pass. In the 2015 season against Ohio State he has a 16-yard run, hit a block on two defenders to spring his back for a long run, and then caught a 51-yard TD on a wheel route with a superb run after the catch. He can also contribute on Special Teams.

Fantastic job.... thanks.... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Your trade proposals would be a coupe for Snead if he could pull them off. I agree that getting some more picks would be huge.

I'll admit that I have not followed the draft as closely this offseason so I wont make many comments on the players you suggest. I am not as familiar with the later round prospects. But, I will say that I don't think either Pocic or Engram are available at those picks. We see highly rated centers go in round 1 quite frequently. Pocic seems to be the best of the bunch. Mid second round at the latest IMO. And a weapon like Engram is going to be hard for teams to keep passing up. Even if he does end up as a slot receiver he is too good to go that far. Some team would be trading up for him if he gets past the top 10 of round 2.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your trade proposals would be a coupe for Snead if he could pull them off. I agree that getting some more picks would be huge.

I'll admit that I have not followed the draft as closely this offseason so I wont make many comments on the players you suggest. I am not as familiar with the later round prospects. But, I will say that I don't think either Pocic or Engram are available at those picks. We see highly rated centers go in round 1 quite frequently. Pocic seems to be the best of the bunch. Mid second round at the latest IMO. And a weapon like Engram is going to be hard for teams to keep passing up. Even if he does end up as a slot receiver he is too good to go that far. Some team would be trading up for him if he gets past the top 10 of round 2.

You might be right about Engram and Pocic being gone but it's not out of the question that they won't be there - meaning not too far of a stretch like thinking Garett Bolles makes it to the 3rd. Those early 2nd round picks are valuable to trade to teams looking for those that slipped out of the 1st round and looking for QBs in this draft class - kind of like how the Raiders grabbed Derek Carr. I'm very interested in what Cleveland does with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. If Cleveland's GM can't trade that pick for several he should resign.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You might be right about Engram and Pocic being gone but it's not out of the question that they won't be there - meaning not too far of a stretch like thinking Garett Bolles makes it to the 3rd. Those early 2nd round picks are valuable to trade to teams looking for those that slipped out of the 1st round and looking for QBs in this draft class - kind of like how the Raiders grabbed Derek Carr. I'm very interested in what Cleveland does with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. If Cleveland's GM can't trade that pick for several he should resign.

While I love the idea of trading back, I worry that we will see a big run on cornerbacks at the top of round 2. I know this is a deep corner draft but if teams suddenly start thinking they better grab the one they want the depth could go away pretty quickly. Position runs are quite common. Often they start near the end of round 1.