Positional summary & cap look

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Having a salary cap certainly makes things more complex when considering roster moves. If you cut players will that savings go toward improving the overall roster? You have to consider what you have as the replacements. Edge rusher is a high priority. Quinn and Barwin are no longer at the top of their games.

CB should be a high priority too if Tru Johnson walks. I like Hill so far but the sample size is too small to feel comfortable with making him a starter opposite Webster who has injury concerns. I feel like they should do as much as possible to re-sign Tru or sign a capable replacement in FA. You don't want to take a step back there when your edge rushers are questionable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those guys are just mediocre as F. None of them are anything special, I mean I could see the Rams bringing one of them in like they did with Carrier at TE, but they aren't going to represent any sort of long-term solution and represent dropoff if the Rams cut Barron and replace him with them. Littleton, who also will most likely be mediocre at best next year all things considered, would probably beat them out.

This FA ILB class has a couple guys who represent upgrades in Demario Davis and Navarro Bowman, and a bunch of dudes who are JAGs and basically depth types. I'm fine with them bringing in one of those types and all, but if they do they're still in a position where they need to find an ILB in the draft and are still looking at dropoff at the position.

IMO we're better served cutting Barron and either signing someone who's an upgrade, or just adding it to the draft/UDFA list. The UDFAs who are interior LBs will undoubtedly be all over the Rams after the draft (they all do a good job nowadays of looking at NFL rosters that give them their best chance), giving Snead an advantage in bringing them in. And then worst case scenario use Littleton or maybe even give Ebu a look in the interior role in camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Those guys are just mediocre as F. None of them are anything special, I mean I could see the Rams bringing one of them in like they did with Carrier at TE, but they aren't going to represent any sort of long-term solution and represent dropoff if the Rams cut Barron and replace him with them. Littleton, who also will most likely be mediocre at best next year all things considered, would probably beat them out.

This FA ILB class has a couple guys who represent upgrades in Demario Davis and Navarro Bowman, and a bunch of dudes who are JAGs and basically depth types. I'm fine with them bringing in one of those types and all, but if they do they're still in a position where they need to find an ILB in the draft and are still looking at dropoff at the position.

IMO we're better served cutting Barron and either signing someone who's an upgrade, or just adding it to the draft/UDFA list. The UDFAs who are interior LBs will undoubtedly be all over the Rams after the draft (they all do a good job nowadays of looking at NFL rosters that give them their best chance), giving Snead an advantage in bringing them in. And then worst case scenario use Littleton or maybe even give Ebu a look in the interior role in camp.
I would not disagree with you here. A healthy Barron would be better but much more costly. If you did bring in one of the lower salary UFA SS Inside LB'ers to insert in the Tree post & shift Tree over to the WS inside Lb'er post you might get some positive improve overall inside plus some extra cap $$$ in the Rams bank.

You should recall my preferred replacement to insert into Ogletree @ Strong Side Interior post is Mychal Kendricks who we will see play in the Eagle 43 D this weekend. He is not a UFA but he can be had because he is playing out of position now & will cost the Eagle way too much cap space for a standard 43 D SS/OLB'er who comes of the field in the Nickle & Dime
defenses.
https://overthecap.com/player/mychal-kendricks/770/

Keep a eye on this in March when free agency starts me thinks he can be traded for with something we now have on our roster.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Sorry to disagree, but the ILB on your wish list may not be available this next year without paying something near equal to what Barron is already pulling in. I'll presume your interest in improving our lot at ILB is much the same as others, to better our rush defense while reducing costs which help us get other desired players re-signed and back under contract ?
Todd Davis was made a starter under Wade Phillips in 2016, in the 15 games he started he had 64 Tackles & 33 assists. This season, Barron in 14 games had 72 Tackles & 13 assists. Davis is an inch shorter, 5 lbs. heavier and 3 years younger, which may help some in being less prone to injury in a position where you need to take on very big men. Like them or not, PFF gives a run defense score of 44.9 to Barron while Davis scored 86.1. Barron is a decent player who scores better in coverage, but the problem we are seeking to patch currently is being so prone to the interior rush, and Davis can help alleviate that situation, likely at half the cost. At worst, Davis is an interim player who already understands Phillips' scheme, and we can save a draft spot to fill another area of need. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry to disagree, but the ILB on your wish list may not be available this next year without paying something near equal to what Barron is already pulling in. I'll presume your interest in improving our lot at ILB is much the same as others, to better our rush defense while reducing costs which help us get other desired players re-signed and back under contract ?
Todd Davis was made a starter under Wade Phillips in 2016, in the 15 games he started he had 64 Tackles & 33 assists. This season, Barron in 14 games had 72 Tackles & 13 assists. Davis is an inch shorter, 5 lbs. heavier and 3 years younger, which may help some in being less prone to injury in a position where you need to take on very big men. Like them or not, PFF gives a run defense score of 44.9 to Barron while Davis scored 86.1. Barron is a decent player who scores better in coverage, but the problem we are seeking to patch currently is being so prone to the interior rush, and Davis can help alleviate that situation, likely at half the cost. At worst, Davis is an interim player who already understands Phillips' scheme, and we can save a draft spot to fill another area of need. jmo.

We're not in disagreement due to the cost of the ILBs I cited who represent an actual upgrade, because I never claimed those guys would be cheap or represent a cost savings. My only concern really is that they upgrade IF they chase a FA for that particular position.

Re: Todd Davis, yeah we disagree lol. He was known to have struggled in 2016 with his gap assignments (and you could see it in the defense overall with the 130 yards allowed on the ground per game), so I'm not all crazy over the PFF grades, honestly those are very difficult to trust. This year the Broncos' run defense was much better, but you also have to consider the players around him like a massively improved defensive front. I'm not saying the dude is a bad player, but bringing in a mediocre FA addition who will show dropoff from Barron in coverage is iffy. You can find LBs in the draft or UDFA who attack gap assignments vs the run game.

So once again, barring them chasing an actual upgrade, I prefer they address NT (which will significantly affect run game read/react time for whoever starts), bring in some young LBs mid to late round and UDFA and open up that competition in camp opposite Tree.

nighttrain

Legend
[QUOTE="Merlin, post: 1029893, member: 1269"

So once again, barring them chasing an actual upgrade, I prefer they address NT (which will significantly affect run game read/react time for whoever starts), bring in some young LBs mid to late round and UDFA and open up that competition in camp opposite Tree.[/QUOTE]

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We're not in disagreement due to the cost of the ILBs I cited who represent an actual upgrade, because I never claimed those guys would be cheap or represent a cost savings. My only concern really is that they upgrade IF they chase a FA for that particular position.

Re: Todd Davis, yeah we disagree lol. He was known to have struggled in 2016 with his gap assignments (and you could see it in the defense overall with the 130 yards allowed on the ground per game), so I'm not all crazy over the PFF grades, honestly those are very difficult to trust. This year the Broncos' run defense was much better, but you also have to consider the players around him like a massively improved defensive front. I'm not saying the dude is a bad player, but bringing in a mediocre FA addition who will show dropoff from Barron in coverage is iffy. You can find LBs in the draft or UDFA who attack gap assignments vs the run game.

So once again, barring them chasing an actual upgrade, I prefer they address NT (which will significantly affect run game read/react time for whoever starts), bring in some young LBs mid to late round and UDFA and open up that competition in camp opposite Tree.

Wait, the 130 rushing yards allowed per game was all on Davis ?
For 2016, the Broncos allowed 4.3 yards rushing per attempt, in 2017 that dropped to 3.3 yards per attempt. For 2016, the Rams allowed 3.9 yards per attempt, in 2017 that went up to 4.7 per attempt. 2017 was also Barron's & Ogletree's first year in a primarily 3-4 D, where both ranked very poor in rush defense. Those 130 yards are no more attributable to Davis than the 122 yards would be to Barron, but being part of the unit does make them somewhat responsible, and when considering both years, the Rams are in decline on these units while the Broncos are ascending with their run defense. No doubt some of that is also on the Rams lack of a quality NT, hopefully both are dealt with in the off-season. Still, Barron's jump from SS to WLB was far better than from WLB to ILB. For that last matter, same goes for Ogletree when moving from WLB to MLB and then on to ILB. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, the 130 rushing yards allowed per game was all on Davis ?
For 2016, the Broncos allowed 4.3 yards rushing per attempt, in 2017 that dropped to 3.3 yards per attempt. For 2016, the Rams allowed 3.9 yards per attempt, in 2017 that went up to 4.7 per attempt. 2017 was also Barron's & Ogletree's first year in a primarily 3-4 D, where both ranked very poor in rush defense. Those 130 yards are no more attributable to Davis than the 122 yards would be to Barron, but being part of the unit does make them somewhat responsible, and when considering both years, the Rams are in decline on these units while the Broncos are ascending with their run defense. No doubt some of that is also on the Rams lack of a quality NT, hopefully both are dealt with in the off-season. Still, Barron's jump from SS to WLB was far better than from WLB to ILB. For that last matter, same goes for Ogletree when moving from WLB to MLB and then on to ILB. jmo.

Oh good grief River... Did I say all 130 ypg were his fault? I was trying to point out that the PFF grades doled out for 2016 were derived from glue smoking or other nefarious activities. Also the dude was known to have run fit issues, in spite of his high grades in that season by PFF. Also wanted to note that the Broncos massively upgraded their DL this past season and he was still mediocre.

But anyway. I don't feel so strongly about the dude either way that I'm willing to go back and forth ad nauseum about it. I just don't think he's anything special and if they go get him in FA it had better be cheap. For me, given this impending massive amount of payouts that look to be coming, I don't want to see them add more of what they have--a JAG of a ILB--in a FA period where you usually have to overpay. This is why I keep saying wrt certain positions that if they're going to overpay make sure it's an upgrade.