Positional summary & cap look

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I would absolutely be thrilled if we could trade Barron. I think it's a best case scenario for us this offseason.

It's not that he's not a productive player, I just think we can get a net benefit by getting his costs off the books, spending that money elsewhere (maybe on Tru/Joyner AND a replacement LB) and getting a replacement for him without much drop off in production and perhaps even a bit more ability in run support from that spot.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think this bears repeating: Saffold is not truly a backup LT to Whit. Insomuch as unless Whit comes up with a season ending injury, they're not gonna move Saffold for a handful of games. The disruption to the oline continuity isn't probably enough to warrant the benefit of having Saffold above others out at LT for just a few games.

We absolutely need a backup OT/future LT prospect in this draft. The guy certainly doesn't have to be the next LT for sure and can be gotten later in the draft. He just needs to be better than any backup OTs we have right now and have the ability to take over for one of Whit, Hav or Brown in 2019. (I do imagine we get an extension with Saffold done.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would absolutely be thrilled if we could trade Barron. I think it's a best case scenario for us this offseason.

It's not that he's not a productive player, I just think we can get a net benefit by getting his costs off the books, spending that money elsewhere (maybe on Tru/Joyner AND a replacement LB) and getting a replacement for him without much drop off in production and perhaps even a bit more ability in run support from that spot.

I do think it is possible. Barron has value to a 4-3 team that has a need for WILL upgrade. He's very good in a chase role, and while he has a high cap hit ($10M next year) if a team sees him as an upgrade they'll see that it's also possible to cut bait if things don't work out, without costing them too much.

Doubt we get a premium pick for him, of course. But a midround pick would be nice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this bears repeating: Saffold is not truly a backup LT to Whit. Insomuch as unless Whit comes up with a season ending injury, they're not gonna move Saffold for a handful of games. The disruption to the oline continuity isn't probably enough to warrant the benefit of having Saffold above others out at LT for just a few games.

First off this past year, IF Big Whit would have went down for significant time, Saff would have moved over. He would be a much better blindside protection for Jared than anyone on our depth chart. It's about Jared not getting killed, so no doubt in my mind there.

Secondly, whether the Rams will draft a LT is very much in question. The guys with the feet for the left side tend to go upper half of round one. Looking at this draft I don't see a LT position that is so good that we have real hope of finding a LT at 23 overall. So to bring in a "backup" to Whit is to reach for a guy who is probably more RT than anything else, OR to move up and get one if a guy they like slides a bit. Trading up higher than, say, low teens is probably the highest they could manage (and more than I'd want to see).

Truth is most teams are screwed if they lose their starting LT. There's a lot of teams that don't have them, let alone have depth that can step in and start. It's not some huge stretch of the imagination for the Rams to stand pat this year at LT. Just comes down to how concerned they are with Whit's health, where there's a lot of stuff behind the scenes we are not privy to.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@Merlin, I kinda feel like we're agreeing here. Only difference is that I'm adding the fact that a developmental OT is a bonus in that they most likely then will take over one of three spots (Whit, Hav or Brown) in 2019 - Whit being the best case scenario.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I do think it is possible. Barron has value to a 4-3 team that has a need for WILL upgrade. He's very good in a chase role, and while he has a high cap hit ($10M next year) if a team sees him as an upgrade they'll see that it's also possible to cut bait if things don't work out, without costing them too much.

Doubt we get a premium pick for him, of course. But a midround pick would be nice.

I'd be freaking ecstatic if we pulled a 4th for him. (I think that's the most one could reasonably get for him). Minus a 6th round pick, we'd be getting back exactly what we paid for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Merlin, I kinda feel like we're agreeing here. Only difference is that I'm adding the fact that a developmental OT is a bonus in that they most likely then will take over one of three spots (Whit, Hav or Brown) in 2019 - Whit being the best case scenario.

Right on. The question is when do you add that dev OT?

At 23 the value will probably be far higher at other positions than OT. We don't have a round 2 pick. Our round 3 pick is late round, and between round 1 and 3 we probably need to come away with a couple top defender types. Actually have 3 big needs on defense IMO (NT, CB, edge rusher), so getting into round 4 do you reach for a big guy and pray you can fix his feet, or do you add a higher graded whatever other position.

I just think the Rams don't have the bullets to address everything they want. And as bad as it is to stand pat at LT, the truth is the greatest thing you can do to help McVay out next year is invest in the defense.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@Merlin, oh yeah, I'm talking using a 4th-6th round pick for sure. And I agree 4th could be high. I understand that drafting that far back the chance on hitting on a LT of the future is crazy low but we're also drafting for an upgrade at 3rd OT (I think we agree on Saffold here but disagree on semantics in how we label him).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What do the LA Rams do with pending free agents?
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...amarcus-joyner-sammy-watkins-trumaine-johnson

The Monday following a loss is always tough. When that Monday is following the Los Angeles Rams first playoff game in over a decade...it’s really tough.Life must go on. The NFL never sleeps. Much like the Rams’ fun and exciting season, the coming months also will bring us fans into new territory of a offseason built on the back of winning and real hope for the future.

When it comes to improving and sustaining the Rams recent success, the first line of business is to take a hard look at current Rams players about to hit free agency and figure out who to prioritize bringing back and who they can live without.

2018 LA Rams Free Agents
Connor Barwin OLB UFA
Derek Carrier TE UFA
Cody Davis S UFA
Lance Dunbar RB UFA
Dominique Easley DT UFA
Trumaine Johnson CB UFA
Lamarcus Joyner CB UFA
Cornelius Lucas OT UFA
Jake McQuaide LS UFA
Nickell Robey-Coleman CB UFA
John Sullivan C UFA
Tyrunn Walker DT UFA
Sammy Watkins WR UFA
Malcolm Brown RB RFA
Troy Hill CB RFA
Matt Longacre DE RFA
Bradley Marquez WR RFA
Darrell Williams OT RFA
Zach Laskey FB ERFA

As I look at that list of UFAs, I see quite a few categories ranging from everything in between “must signs” to “hardly knew ya”. Without exact knowledge of market worth, I’m placing a higher priority on importance to future success. This is how I would tier each of the Rams Unrestricted Free Agents and why. Some players will fit into multiple categories which is part of why real free agency is so tricky to re-sign players.
Must re-sign

S Lamarcus Joyner
Joyner jumps out immediately and is priority number one for me. Joyner thrived at safety for Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips and formed a surprisingly high quality duo with rookie John Johnson. Joyner finished the season as PFF’s 4th-highest graded safety and is clearly one of the Rams most passionate players. Losing Joyner would be a huge blow to the defense.

Should re-sign
CB Trumaine Johnson, C John Sullivan, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, WR Sammy Watkins
I only see one guy the Rams can’t live without, but there's absolutely more that the Rams should sign and watch heavily contribute. Johnson, Sullivan, Robey-Coleman and Watkins are all guys that had defined roles and made the Rams better in 2017. They’re all guys I don't think need much explanation in this category and players the Rams would benefit from. But you’ll see a few of these names later too.

Wouldn’t mind
S Cody Davis, LS Jake McQuaide, and DE Dominique Easley
Here is where the choices come down to want vs need. From here on out, these are players the Rams can bounce back from losing with minimal drop off or little trouble finding a replacement for through the draft or FA.

McQuaide has been great, and is one of the longest-tenured Rams. But is there a more replaceable position than long snapper? No. Davis and Easley both played well prior to their respective injuries with Easley never having got a chance in Phillip’s defense. It would be nice to see what both could do moving forward as key depth players but Rams have good depth at safety with Blake Countess and Marqui Christian while Easley has a lengthy injury history.

Hardly even knew you
RB Lance Dunbar, TE Derek Carrier, DT Tyrunn Walker, OT Cornelius Lucas
Thank you all for your service and contributions to the great season. But I’m not sure how else to say it; these guys are a dime a dozen. These are all depth players.

Can do without
LB Connor Barwin
This is the confusing category.Barwin was brought in for his leadership and to help transition the defense. He’s fulfilled those obligations well but would likely stunt the growth of a LB Samson Ebukam, LB Matt Longacre or a newcomer moving forward.

I mentioned players the Rams should sign earlier. They’re all important but when push comes to $hove, there’s tough decisions to be made. Johnson, Robey-Coleman, and Watkins all should have healthy free agent markets. The Rams would be severely pressed to lose two CBs but bringing them both back could be difficult.

As for Watkins, trading a second-round pick and CB E.J. Gaines should have no bearing on any future decision made in regards to re-signing him. Let’s get that out of the way. How does he fit? Can someone else (rookie/free agent/on roster) fill his role? I’m not entirely sure about the first question but based on McVay’s offenses, I’m extremely confident the answer to the second is yes.

RFAs
CB Troy Hill, LB Matt Longacre
Hill and Longacre are two guys the Rams should ensure stay Rams for 2018. Hill’s late season emergence has been a pleasant surprise for a defense faced with questions at CB. Longacre was arguably the Rams’ most effective edge defender.

With over $50 million in current cap space, the Rams have a lot of money to play with in prioritizing their own upcoming FA class. With roughly $95 million earmarked for 2019, the Rams have the ability and financial comfort to start extend players currently under contract. And we can’t forget about the looming Aaron Donald situation.

The Rams are faced with an important but exciting offseason unlike any they’ve had in years. The next step on the road to 2018 is taking care of their own players first.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looking at the potential cap casualties for the 2018 Los Angeles Rams
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...ualties-tavon-austin-mark-barron-robert-quinn
They always said the NFL is a business...
By BMule Jan 15, 2018, 2:53pm CST

Each year, NFL teams are faced with questions on how to improve their roster by acquiring new players and getting rid of old misfits. The Los Angeles Rams are no different this year as they try to figure out how to retain a number of their own free agents while fitting it all into the NFL’s salary cap.

Using Spotrac’s salary projections for the 2018 Rams, the team currently has about $45m in space for 2018 and $74m in 2019 that is subject to change as they add and subtract players. Is that enough to retain and sign all of the Rams wants for next year? Possibly.

But if they’re looking to add cap space, here are players the Rams can cut and what it would net in savings*.

WR Tavon Austin
Cap Hit: $8M
Dead Cap: $5M
Savings: $3M

Austin is probably the leading vote getter among fans to get the axe. This one is fairly simple because of his guaranteed roster bonus. Rams save $3 million with a clean cut. Is Tavon worth another flyer in McVay’s high flying offense at this price? I think his 317 yards from scrimmage and 1 TD in 2017 answers this question definitively, His 13 receptions for 47 yards for an entire season is hard to justify.

ILB Mark Barron
Cap Hit: $10M
Dead Cap: $3M
Savings: $7M

Barron inked a new deal just a few years ago after he switched from safety to linebacker and carries a hefty cap hit in relation to other ILBs around the league. Barron has a $2M roster bonus due on March 16th that would adjust the savings to $5M if they wait that long.

Barron has been one of the Rams more consistent defenders but unfortunately carries a cap hit that doesn’t match production for the position. Its an easy way to create a chunk of cap space while trying to find other cheaper alternatives more suited to play inside. But its always risky to cut a starting player who still has some juice left.

EDGE Robert Quinn
Cap Hit: $12.4M
Dead Cap: $955K
Savings: $11.4M

Quinn offers the biggest potential savings among all Rams players. Like Barron, Quinn has a roster bonus of $1.1m that kicks in on March 16th. His cap hit would leave Quinn around the 12th highest EDGE player in 2018 in terms of cap hit.

Quinn’s injury history has left him handicapped from his 19.0 sack 2013 season. Paying that much money for a guy coming off an 8.5 sack season while is too much to swallow for some. He’s also still 27-years old and has 7.0 sacks in his last 7 games played, including the playoffs.

CB Kayvon Webster
Cap Hit: $3.6M
Dead Cap: $500K
Savings: $3.1M

Webster’s roster bonus is already payed out so this one is also quite simple. Webster outplayed the first year of his two-year deal in the eyes of many but suffered an unfortunate injury late in the season, rupturing his Achilles.

On the surface some fans may not understand cutting a CB when you have two other CBs hitting FA. Many players struggle mightily returning from ruptured Achilles injuries. With a likely 7-9 month recovery just to get back on the field and even more time to reclaim performance standards, can the Rams afford to gamble on Webster and miss out on a decent chunk of change? It may be cruel, but it may also be worth thinking about.

DL Ethan Westbrooks
Cap Hit: $2M
Dead Cap: $250K
Savings: $1.75M

Westbrooks has one year left on a deal he’s outperformed on snaps alone. This season, Westbrooks filled in at NT down the stretch and played better than expected. Whether he moves forward as NT seems doubtful but every defense needs versatile rotational players like Ethan.

As seems obvious, the Rams could decide to grab a true NT leaving Westbrooks to his old super sub role. This would be the only move that actually leave me shocked but this is an exercise in how to save money and Westbrooks offers a partially logical $1.75M.

Total Potential Savings: $26.25M
Just the four mentioned players could net the Rams an additional $26+ M to add to their $45M to re-sign and extend their own players. Other than Austin, the other three players were starters that the Rams will need to heavily weigh if the savings are worth the roster hole to fill.

The Rams can add even more cap space to those potential moves if they decide to move on from other depth players on the roster that are already on team friendly contracts but above the rookie minimums that often come with late draft picks and UDFAs. They ultimately won’t net too much money as you have to replace them with, at best, slightly cheaper options but nevertheless:

LB Bryce Hager ($705K), QB Brandon Allen ($630K), LB Carlos Thompson ($630K), and S Isaiah Johnson ($705K) are examples of active 53-man roster members that played sparingly, if at all, and have no dead cap. There’s another potential $2+ M if the Rams absolutely need the most cap space possible.

So this is how the Rams can save money. If the team decides that they cannot live without all of their long list of impending free agents, there is potentially $70+ M in 2018 at their disposal a figure that seems impossible to reach the ceiling of even if the Rams do hand out an extension to DT Aaron Donald.

As with every offseason, hard decisions are on the horizon. This next Rams’ offseason offers the opportunity at considerably more cap space than is being led on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can do without
LB Connor Barwin

This is the confusing category.Barwin was brought in for his leadership and to help transition the defense. He’s fulfilled those obligations well but would likely stunt the growth of a LB Samson Ebukam, LB Matt Longacre or a newcomer moving forward.

I really like Barwin and like Quinn he seemed to improve as the season wore on, but yeah... Not sure he's going to return barring him taking a very affordable deal. More likely is that our left side is Longacre/Ebukam, with fresh blood brought in for the right side. If Quinn restructures with an extension that includes a cheaper cap hit, which would be great IMO, there would be no need to keep Connor on. But if Quinn is a straight cut, then in that situation they'd need to have Longacre as depth on the right side.

Definitely think Longacre on the left side is best case scenario, it's an ideal spot for him in this defense. IMO he would be far more productive over 16 games lining up on RTs, and he plays plenty strong enough to hold up there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Have to believe Quinn and Barron would have some trade value. Moving both for draft picks makes a bit of sense, save salary for others and draft replacements.
"IF!" and that's a BIG IF the Rams go this^ route, I'd contact Cleveland! They have a lot of high Draft Picks and Williams is there DC (For now)!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like Barwin and like Quinn he seemed to improve as the season wore on, but yeah... Not sure he's going to return barring him taking a very affordable deal. More likely is that our left side is Longacre/Ebukam, with fresh blood brought in for the right side. If Quinn restructures with an extension that includes a cheaper cap hit, which would be great IMO, there would be no need to keep Connor on. But if Quinn is a straight cut, then in that situation they'd need to have Longacre as depth on the right side.

Definitely think Longacre on the left side is best case scenario, it's an ideal spot for him in this defense. IMO he would be far more productive over 16 games lining up on RTs, and he plays plenty strong enough to hold up there.

Yep as usual we agree on the left side for Matt Longacre next to Brockers is better suited for his talent & skills. But I really think Wade placed Matt on that weak side behind Quinn to offset Quinn inability to set the edge on outside runs & outside containment of fleeing QB's something that Quinn is dreadful at.

If you have the time :coffee: Merlin go take a long look @ the UFA 43 defense Right Edge Rushers/DE's entering FA'cy.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency

Ezekiel Ansah
Aldon Smith
William Hayes
Adrian Clayborn

Julius Peppers
Tank Carradine
Alex Okafor
Kerry Wynn
Demarcus Lawrence

Courtney Upshaw
Dwight Freeney
Marcus Smith
Ricky Jean-Francois
Justin Trattou
Bryan Braman
Lavar Edwards
Kasim Edebali
Will Clarke
Cassius Marsh
Aaron Lynch
Terrence Fede
Chris Smith

I think Demoff is in a serious weak situation to think that he would be successful in asking Quinn to restructure with less money with conditions the way they are in 2018 UFA's @ 43 D Ends.

When you look deep the bold 43 DE's are the best IMO & are sure to be resigned by their teams. The over-all group looks super weak & the number's small. That would indicate that if I were Rob Quinn....the market is perfect to return home back to the SE USA like Carolina or any other city & demand a good pay check & get back conformable in the 43 defense he is best at..

So I would think that any restructure with Quinn is highly doubtful. leaving us the Draft route or utilizing what we have in house until we can get the youngin up to par.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep as usual we agree on the left side for Matt Longacre next to Brockers is better suited for his talent & skills. But I really think Wade placed Matt on that weak side behind Quinn to offset Quinn inability to set the edge on outside runs & outside containment of fleeing QB's something that Quinn is dreadful at.

If you have the time :coffee: Merlin go take a long look @ the UFA 43 defense Right Edge Rushers/DE's entering FA'cy.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency

Ezekiel Ansah
Aldon Smith
William Hayes
Adrian Clayborn

Julius Peppers
Tank Carradine
Alex Okafor
Kerry Wynn
Demarcus Lawrence

Courtney Upshaw
Dwight Freeney
Marcus Smith
Ricky Jean-Francois
Justin Trattou
Bryan Braman
Lavar Edwards
Kasim Edebali
Will Clarke
Cassius Marsh
Aaron Lynch
Terrence Fede
Chris Smith

I think Demoff is in a serious weak situation to think that he would be successful in asking Quinn to restructure with less money with conditions the way they are in 2018 UFA's @ 43 D Ends.

When you look deep the bold 43 DE's are the best IMO & are sure to be resigned by their teams. The over-all group looks super weak & the number's small. That would indicate that if I were Rob Quinn....the market is perfect to return home back to the SE USA like Carolina or any other city & demand a good pay check & get back conformable in the 43 defense he is best at..

So I would think that any restructure with Quinn is highly doubtful. leaving us the Draft route or utilizing what we have in house until we can get the youngin up to par.

You are probably correct on Quinn. Smart money is that he's gone, it's just that I like the dude and harbor that hope they keep him around (and that he elects to stick around) even when I know it's a longshot.

Re: the edge rushers, I have never been a fan of the FA period to address them. Competition on the market for them is insane and the good ones get PAID. The guys you bolded...

Clayborn had a good season, but he also inflated his numbers with a huge game vs Dallas and his career overall has been unremarkable. The dude is also around 30 years old. Is it wise to go get him in FA? Meh. And as you say he will probably be kept around.

Lawrence is going to bust someone's bank. He makes a lot of plays man, the dude is a difference maker. But look over time and he had a good 2015 but injury/suspension type seasons in 2014 & 2016. Him arriving at stud status right in time for FA is something that concerns me personally, along with paying him big money to get him in a competitive market. And that's if the Boys don't franchise him, which I think they will.

Upshaw, like Clayborn, isn't really special, but will make more than he should as a FA addition. Nice thing about him is he has some OLB experience from his time with the Ravens but he's just not a great pass rusher.

Rams might have some guy lined up in FA they think they can get something from at OLB, who knows. But IMO the way forward for that group is the draft. There are difference makers early on in this draft Snead can snap up, and guys with good upside after the early portion he can bring in for this staff to develop. Lots of options. So if they do bring anyone in, I'd have to think it's a depth type guy who they could get at an affordable rate, who makes them less desperate for the position in the draft, but who would that be? I have no idea man.

IMO the pick at 23 will be an OLB edge rusher.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no sense in creating holes on the roster to save money (aside from Tavon).

The cap is the cap. If we need to make room for someone, that's a different story - but with our cap space, we should be able to re-sign everyone, extend Donald and have room for our draft picks.

If we end up cutting Quinn, I hope it's because that money is going to his replacement.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You are probably correct on Quinn. Smart money is that he's gone, it's just that I like the dude and harbor that hope they keep him around (and that he elects to stick around) even when I know it's a longshot.

Re: the edge rushers, I have never been a fan of the FA period to address them. Competition on the market for them is insane and the good ones get PAID. The guys you bolded...

Clayborn had a good season, but he also inflated his numbers with a huge game vs Dallas and his career overall has been unremarkable. The dude is also around 30 years old. Is it wise to go get him in FA? Meh. And as you say he will probably be kept around.

Lawrence is going to bust someone's bank. He makes a lot of plays man, the dude is a difference maker. But look over time and he had a good 2015 but injury/suspension type seasons in 2014 & 2016. Him arriving at stud status right in time for FA is something that concerns me personally, along with paying him big money to get him in a competitive market. And that's if the Boys don't franchise him, which I think they will.

Upshaw, like Clayborn, isn't really special, but will make more than he should as a FA addition. Nice thing about him is he has some OLB experience from his time with the Ravens but he's just not a great pass rusher.

Rams might have some guy lined up in FA they think they can get something from at OLB, who knows. But IMO the way forward for that group is the draft. There are difference makers early on in this draft Snead can snap up, and guys with good upside after the early portion he can bring in for this staff to develop. Lots of options. So if they do bring anyone in, I'd have to think it's a depth type guy who they could get at an affordable rate, who makes them less desperate for the position in the draft, but who would that be? I have no idea man.

IMO the pick at 23 will be an OLB edge rusher.

Here a list of 2018 UFA 34 Defense OSLB'er's or Edge Rushers::sleep::sadwalk::sleepz::palm:

Connor Barwin 34OLB Rams
Ahmad Brooks 34OLB Packers
Erik Walden 34OLB Titans
Arthur Moats 34OLB Steelers
Barkevious Mingo 34OLB Colts
Trent Murphy 34OLB Redskins
Jeremiah Attaochu 34OLB Chargers
Lamarr Houston 34OLB Bears
Chris Carter 34OLB Redskins
Sam Acho 34OLB Bears
Junior Galette 34OLB Redskins
David Bass 34OLB Jets
Jelani Jenkins 34OLB Texans
Kareem Martin 34OLB Cardinals

This is one reason I been posting that I expect two 34 D OSLB'er /Tweeners in the 2018 draft in order to fight it out with Longacre, Ebukam, Littleton, Price, Sickels & Thompson. If Barwin was Smart he will resign back in with the Rams in 2018 @ the same 2017 cost. Giving Wade a well seasoned Defensive Captain to go with an extremely young OLB'er unit.

P.S. As you might have seen I placed Cory Littleton in this unit. I think that CL is far more OLB'er than ILB'er. I would believe Wade to put this fast young LB'er in a better position to match the skills & talents he brings. The Interior LB'ing unit should see a econo priced UFA veteran injected into this unit for the departed Mark Barron.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is edge rusher the biggest roster need for the Los Angeles Rams?

Pro Football Focus has one target for the Rams’ biggest roster need heading into the offseason.
By Sosa Kremenjas@SosaKre Jan 15, 2018, 12:19pm CST

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...2018-nfl-draft-free-agency-pro-football-focus

Now that we’re fully engaged into the offseason, the entirety of the NFL’s 32 teams have roster needs and weaknesses that need to be addressed. The Los Angeles Rams are not above that equation.

With free agency looming and a ton of decisions to be made, the Rams are going into the 2018 NFL Draft with a handful of openings that’ll need to be filled. Pro Football Focus team has taken a look at every team in the league’s biggest roster need and a potential filler through the draft.

Here’s their take on the Rams:
Edge

The Rams defense was at its best when they had Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn terrorizing offenses. Quinn though has declined every season since his mind-blowing 2012, and this season had just 40 total pressures all year, while struggling as a run defender in Wade Phillips’ scheme. The Rams could use a versatile edge rusher. Oklahoma’s Ogbonnia Okoronkwo has the kind of versatility that would thrive in this scheme, and notched 46 total pressures and 46 defensive stops this season in college while dropping into coverage 128 times.

Is there really any debate here? The Rams are going to have some big question marks at the OLB position. Starting OLB Connor Barwin is a free agent, and many, including myself, would say he served his purpose as a mentor to younger guys as well as helping the transition over to a Wade Phillips 3-4 defense. There is no reason to re-sign him, other than a cheap veteran for depth, but the youth on the roster may not allow that.

As for Quinn, some would say he is overpaid. According to OverTheCap, Quinn is the fifth-highest paid 3-4 OLB on average at $14.3m per year. Not only is that going to be a major question mark headed into free agency, but as the PFF team noted his effectiveness has diminished a tremendous amount.

Is his production worth his price? Will he be retained or let go? Regardless of whether he’s brought back or not, his production hasn’t been good enough for the Rams to ignore the edge position especially when you factor in the impending hole that Barwin should create.

The Rams are going to have many decisions to make with their free agent list that is quite extensive. Those decisions are going to be made in unison, having a domino effect on the offseason. Looking forward, one thing is for certain...

The Rams will not be fielding an identical team next season.