Poll finds large majority of Native Americans are OK with “Redskins”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ity-of-native-americans-are-ok-with-redskins/

Poll finds large majority of Native Americans are OK with “Redskins”
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 19, 2016

A poll of Native Americans found that the vast majority do not object to the Washington NFL team’s name.

The Washington Post commissioned a poll with a randomly selected national sample of 504 Native American adults. That poll asked, “The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive, or doesn’t it bother you?”

The result was a strong argument for Dan Snyder’s case that his team does not need to change its name: A whopping 90 percent answered that the name doesn’t bother them. Only 9 percent called the name offensive, with 1 percent having no opinion.

Another question in the poll found that 73 percent of Native Americans do not think the term “Redskin” is disrespectful. That included 75 percent of Native Americans who are members of tribes, and 71 percent who are not members of tribes.

The results of this poll are consistent with previous polls showing that most Native Americans aren’t bothered by the team’s name, nor do they consider it an important issue facing their community.

The question, then, is whether Snyder should show deference to the 9 percent who are offended by the team name. He has shown no inclination to do so, and will surely see this poll as support for that stance.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm part Native American.....and I have no problem with it.

But, to me that's not the issue. The issue is private property rights.
Does Snyder or anyone else for that matter, have the right to name their property what they wish?
I say yes, no matter who it offends. It's their property, they can name it anything they want.

JMHO.

Go Rams!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Of course they wouldn't. There's a whole state that means "Red People" in Choctaw, that was suggested by a Choctaw chief!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The question, then, is whether Snyder should show deference to the 9 percent who are offended by the team name. He has shown no inclination to do so, and will surely see this poll as support for that stance.
He should just ignore the entire Poll and move on!!(y)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Nine percent of any population are hyper-sensitive biaches. :fighting:

:rant:It's more like 90% on your typical College campus.:fuelfire:

:sneak:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just change the name to Bravehearts and everybody wins!
washington-bravehearts-750x.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure you can ever offend 0% anymore. There are probably even a great many native Americans that take pride in the name.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My high school were the "Mohicans" and they wanted the name changed, so they left it to the students to vote on a new name. They ended up with the "Bananna Slugs". :yay:

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
If 91% don't care then I really don't see why people feel like they need to make this an issue.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm part Native American.....and I have no problem with it.

But, to me that's not the issue. The issue is private property rights.
Does Snyder or anyone else for that matter, have the right to name their property what they wish?
I say yes, no matter who it offends. It's their property, they can name it anything they want.

JMHO.

Go Rams!

Interesting. Someone once told me that if you have ridges on the backs of your foremost top Incisors that it means you have native American blood. Do you?

As far as the calling them Redskins, how derogatory is that name? Should I be upset if someone calls me Paleskin? or Whitey? I know that Indians have referred to caucasions as "white man" for years and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Maybe since the Washington Redskins have been called that for so long, they should name themselves Paleskins for an equal length of time.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

Actually, Political Correctness offends my sensibilities. It feminizes and confuses our young men. It bankrupts companies. Causes unnecessary ends to careers. It eventually brings down societies. It is usually connected to a power or money grab.

It's also generally nauseating.

(I'm not talking about politeness, chivalry, respect and concern for human feelings. We can use more of those things.)

So it wouldn't be 0% Lot's of freaks like me out there.

I hope I haven't been offensive, @flv my friend. :)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Interesting. Someone once told me that if you have ridges on the backs of your foremost top Incisors that it means you have native American blood. Do you?

As far as the calling them Redskins, how derogatory is that name? Should I be upset if someone calls me Paleskin? or Whitey? I know that Indians have referred to caucasions as "white man" for years and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Maybe since the Washington Redskins have been called that for so long, they should name themselves Paleskins for an equal length of time.

I liked your post @Elmgrovegnome however, I find your little gnome friends' hiney very offensive!

Seriously, though. One of our rights in the Bill of Rights is NOT the Right to not be offended. But, balance that out with the fact that the rights of minorities (Not meant in a racial, or religious sense, necessarily) are protected. That is why we are not a true Democracy, but a Constitutional Republic.

:flanders: Remember, The definition of a democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. (n)

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We in this country have an issue with catering to the few rather than the masses. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong but makes for a spineless society. #'Merica

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If 91% don't care then I really don't see why people feel like they need to make this an issue.
It's a lifestyle choice these days. There are professional offended people running around.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's a lifestyle choice these days. There are professional offended people running around.
And I love the "Bravehearts" idea but it's probably principal with Snyder at this point and I can't say I blame him too much. Somebody has to say enough is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.