Plex Server Sharing: Throwing Out an Idea

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Mods please delete if not allowed!

So for the past few months, I've been renting a dedicated server to stream content to friends and family via Plex. What is Plex you ask? Plex is an application that can be installed as a server or client. It's purpose is to stream/cast content from the server to various clients; smart tv's, smart phones, tablets, other pc's, game consoles, etc. The awesome thing is that the service itself is free, and the mobile/tablet/pc client apps are really cheap ($5 bucks). Streaming to an Xbox One, Playstation 4, some smart TV's and via a web browser are all free!

Right now I have a server that I'm not using and wanted to gauge the interest of my fellow RoD brothers. Would any of you be interested in getting access to my media content? There currently isn't much media on this server but I can get it filled QUICKLY (6 TB of disk space). You could even ask for a specific movie/tv show and, more than likely, I could get it on the server within minutes...and in most cases, in 1080p. The server itself is on a gigabit line and has enough processing power to serve multiple streams at once.

The speed of your internet connection will dictate the quality of the content you're requesting (you can adjust quality settings via Plex [720p, 1080p, bitrate, etc..]). Now, since the server doesn't run cheap and I'm not asking for anything in return, please understand that it is at my discretion to shut down/cancel the server at anytime. I'll do my best to let you guys know in advance.

If enough users express interest we can get this going! If this goes through, I'll definitely have to create a topic in our Members Only forum. Also open to hearing any suggestions and answering any questions!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nice Job, Love this stuff @TXRams86
Played with Plex early on 4-5 years ago or more but decided to do my own XBMC ( now KODI ) Builds and have stuck with kodi for media ever since, The Idea of a true client server based media center has always been my goal. I can go on and on so I will stop there. Glad to hear you have it up running and user friendly. Love to hear more one day. Definitely Interested.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice Job, Love this stuff @TXRams86
Played with Plex early on 4-5 years ago or more but decided to do my own XBMC ( now KODI ) Builds and have stuck with kodi for media ever since, The Idea of a true client server based media center has always been my goal. I can go on and on so I will stop there. Glad to hear you have it up running and user friendly. Love to hear more one day. Definitely Interested.
When I built my home media server, I stuck with Kodi. I had a HTPC in my living room and my bedroom both running Kodi. Kodi just plays anything and everything you throw at it and I love it for that. My home media server is serving up 28TB of media right now and growing. (y)

Then my kids, family, friends all wanted in on the "goods." I had toyed with Plex in the past and gave it another shot. I like the idea that the server end does all the transcoding for you, so your client is guaranteed to play what you want. But this means that the server has to be pretty beefy if you're gonna be serving to multiple clients. Plex does allow you to "direct play" media, much like Kodi, but it really shines in it's ability to transcode and serve just about everything. There are very few clients that support Direct Play (due to audio codec support, DTS in particular). Kodi even has a PleXBMC add-on that works well with Plex.

My kiddos have an Xbox One, I now have a 4K Android Smart TV, my family members have Amazon Firesticks and the wife wanted to watch stuff at work on her lunch breaks. My upload from home SUCKS so them using my home server was out of the question. Wife watching at work, family/friends watching at home would require a ton of speed and bandwidth. That's why I ended up getting the dedicated server, to suit THEIR needs. It's cool though because they can ditch cable/satellite/netflix/amazon video/hulu/etc altogether and just stream what they want, when they want. They pitch in here and there to cover the cost of the server but I never ask.

If you're up for giving it a shot and just giving me some feedback, create your free account on Plex and send me your username. I'll share the content I have right now and you can access it via web browser at least. I even have the first episode of Hard Knocks on there along with the first preseason Rams game. :yay:

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@TXRams86
Working beautifully. I will keep you posted.
WoW has the GUI came a long way?
Very nice.
Thanks Again
Don
Awesome. Appreciate you being the guinea pig, hah. It has come a long way, very user friendly.
Still working out a few kinks, primarily how to name/sort NFL games to get them to show as "TV Shows".
But listing them under "Home Movies" will suffice for now.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Nice. I use Plex as well, but just on my LAN. Very cool of you to share with your family (real and ROD, haha)!!