Playing Devil's Advocate Concerning Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just questions. Hence the thread title.

What if Fisher and Snead have already determined they're going to win as many games as they can with Bradford? What if they're saying, "We've got a 7 win QB here"? What if they think the defense is really close, but the offense is way behind?

Why would Snead go and visit Texas to speak to coordinators and QB coaches if he didn't have legitimate interest? This isn't a GM who likes to piss away his time on useless endeavors. And he certainly isn't doing homework for some other NFL team (e.g., getting the full picture to gauge another team's interest).

Do you remember when Schottenheimer tried to start the season with a spread-out offense? How successful would that have been with a QB who was only given half the field and the ability to buy time by scrambling? That's how those other QBs in the division started out, and it really opened up their running game (see: Fisher's objective).

Do you remember when Schottenheimer instructed Bradford to run any time he sees an opening and there are no passing options available? How well can Bradford do that now? How well was he able to do it before the ankle and knee injuries?

What would happen to the Rams' maneuverability or draft trade options if they were verbally wishy-washy on Bradford the whole offseason? Wouldn't every single story-line this offseason be about which QB the Rams were going to take, instead of mere speculation that they *might* take one?

But hey. If they avoid all of that and start the season with Bradford, I have zero problems with that. I already know he's talented enough to get the job done. His only problems are consistency of performance and the absence of propensity to avoid injury. Are those reasons enough for Fisher and Snead to look at other options? And do they HAVE to get rid of Bradford to do it? I don't think they do.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
And if they were trying to "create" a market for the #2 or #13 picks.....Manziel would be one of the first places to start..........:whistle:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Interesting take. Part of me wants to say that Bradford fits the Schotty/Fisher mold, but then I remember that Fisher had his greatest success with a mobile QB in McNair. I have been critical of Sam in the past, if only because I see so much talent in him, but I think we all want more consistency from him. Wins would be nice too (I know, I know).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And if they were trying to "create" a market for the #2 or #13 picks.....Manziel would be one of the first places to start..........:whistle:
And staying within the advocate's role here...

What you're saying is, other teams are looking at the Rams' interest in Manziel and saying, "Well hell... if St Louis likes that guy so much, we HAVE to get him. Because their scouts are obviously superior to ours." And does their ruse include going to Texas to speak with his coaches? That's a heavy dose of deception right there.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
God bless Fisher and Snead. They understand people. They know they can come out and tell the truth and people won't believe them.

Not to say they are telling the truth when they come out and point blank say Bradford is definitely their guy this year and in the future. And even explain why. But, they can be telling the truth and it does them no harm in "revealing" their plans in the draft.

I guess I'm just a naive trusting person. When a guy like Fisher tells me Bradford is his guy and he won't have a QB controversy on his team, I can't help myself. I believe him. I have no reason not to when Fisher has never to my knowledge come out and said something that he contradicted shortly thereafter. I would have expected him to say very little on the subject of what his plans were on the QB position this year if he had real interest in drafting a QB in the first round.

But I will stand corrected if they draft Manziel or any other QBs in the first round.

Now as far as answering all your questions on why they did they go to Texas and check out Manziel, I think a good as any guess is that they have 2 extra weeks and they like the BBQ down there.

But this one is probably the right one....

X with a good one....
What you're saying is, other teams are looking at the Rams' interest in Manziel and saying, "Well hell... if St Louis likes that guy so much, we HAVE to get him. Because their scouts are obviously superior to ours." And does their ruse include going to Texas to speak with his coaches? That's a heavy dose of deception right there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have no reason not to when Fisher has never to my knowledge come out and said something that he contradicted shortly thereafter.
Like when he said he expected Finnegan back and healthy for camp?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You don't see the difference in what was said?
Short of not saying, "Finnegan is our corner"? I guess not.
Because he wasn't inundated with questions about Finnegan's future in the months and weeks leading to the draft.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You don't see the difference in what was said?
Fisher also said Rodger Saffold was the Rams starting LT, and a really good one at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Then the Rams signed Jake Long.

I don't think this regime lies about things...I just think they state things as they stand that particular day...then change their minds and reassess as they go.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when Fisher said there would be no coaching changes? Walton out, Williams in doesnt count?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Fisher also said Rodger Saffold was the Rams starting LT, and a really good one at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Then the Rams signed Jake Long.

I don't think this regime lies about things...I just think they state things as they stand that particular day...then change their minds and reassess as they go.
I think that is exactly what they and, and we should be glad for it honestly.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And when Fisher said there would be no coaching changes? Walton out, Williams in doesnt count?

Fisher said he didn't EXPECT there to be any coaching changes. There's a difference.

He came out point blank and said Bradford is his guy. Snead said definitely that Sam is our guy. And when Rich Eisen pushed him by saying "no stuttering on that?" Snead said "no stuttering"!

A55VA6

Legend
Yep, everything Fisher says seems to never hold true and ends up changing some kind of way.

I personally would love to draft Manziel. And I'm probably one of the only people on here that does. Teams will have to worry about Stacy, Austin, Manziel running around.. sounds like a tough task to defend honestly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher said he didn't EXPECT there to be any coaching changes. There's a difference.

He came out point blank and said Bradford is his guy. Snead said definitely that Sam is our guy. And when Rich Eisen pushed him by saying "no stuttering on that?" Snead said "no stuttering"!
Again. If he (they) were to say, "We *expect* Bradford to be our starting QB", then their draft leverage is gone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

"
Yeah, he didnt "expect" to be able to get Gregg Williams back. I could see the "I didnt expect that we could get...."
All the same thing
Is it gonna happen? Who knows, just playing devil's advocate here, right?

A55VA6

Legend

Going back to X's post:

Why would Snead go and visit Texas to speak to coordinators and QB coaches if he didn't have legitimate interest? This isn't a GM who likes to piss away his time on useless endeavors. And he certainly isn't doing homework for some other NFL team (e.g., getting the full picture to gauge another team's interest).

And alot of NFL reporters have said over and over they've heard from sources close to the team that the interest is genuine.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Again. If he (they) were to say, "We *expect* Bradford to be our starting QB", then their draft leverage is gone.

You may be right about that. But it goes opposite to what Venturi has been saying. He said that he thinks the Rams made a mistake by coming out and backing Bradford.

But I'll tell you what. I lean toward your viewpoint on this one, mostly because I think Venturi is a blowhard dimwit.

All I know is they damn sure better be right, if Sam goes somewhere else and reaches his potential, then I'd hope the lot of them are sacked.