Philip Rivers won’t sign a new contract before his current one expires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers tells Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego that the 11-year veteran won’t sign a new deal before his current contract ends after the 2015 season. But what could change the player’s mind?

“Honestly, nothing,” Rivers said. But then he softened that. A bit.

“What I can control and all I know as of today, I am signed up for one more year,” Rivers said. “I guess things could change, but with all the uncertainty in many aspects, I don’t see it changing before camp gets here, and when camp gets here I’m even more certain to play it out.”

The stadium situation has become an issue with Rivers, who may not want to move his wife and seven (yes, seven) children to Los Angeles, if the team relocates.

“What we’ve established here with my growing family is hard to recreate,” Rivers said. “It’s hard to up and recreate that. I know that moves are part of life. But that certainly is fair to say that [not being sold on moving to Los Angeles] is part of it. The good thing is I’m not under contract in a year where we’d potentially be in Los Angeles.”

Of course, the Chargers could use the franchise tag to keep Rivers around for another year. At his 2015 cap number of $17.416 million, it would cost $20.9 million to keep him with the team for 2016.

And there’s still a chance he’s not on the team in 2015. Via Acee, G.M. Tom Telesco declined to rule out a trade of Rivers.

“I don’t like Philip as our QB, I love him,” was the most Telesco would say. “And I’ll go to war with him.”

That could be interpreted as a response more clear than “no trade,” but Telesco still didn’t directly rule out a trade. Which means that, whether Telesco wants it or not, he soon could be hearing from teams that may be interested in acquiring Rivers.

Maybe, say, the Titans. They hold the second pick in the draft and their head coach, Ken Whisenhunt, coordinated the San Diego offense in 2013.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-new-contract-before-his-current-one-expires/

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm making inquiries if i'm the Rams. Due diligence. I'd give up quite a bit at this point if it were even possible.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yea if he really doesn't want to move to LA, moving him to St.Louis where he still has the uncertainty of moving to LA would probably just piss him off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Rivers just doesn't want to go to LA. I'd say make an offer because he's a franchise QB but our situation isn't any better than San Diego's.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He sure sounds like he doesn't want to move at all. Maybe he would want o go back home. Where is he from? Carolina? That won't work....hmmm Tennessee maybe but there is no way I would move from San Diego to Tennessee. San Diego is a sweet place.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well ummm...if the Rams move to LA, tell him he can live in San Diego. He can live wherever the Hell he wants to.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At his 2015 cap number of $17.416 million, it would cost $20.9 million to keep him with the team for 2016.
I'd hold off for a $21M payday the following year too.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Maybe he's thinking of pulling off of a Michael Jordan and pitching relief for the Padres... After the 21 million.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
How is a trade a solution to not wanting to relocate?
The trade is the solution for the team, not Rivers. If Rivers doesn't want to continue to be the franchise QB of the Chargers, might as well deal him for something now before he gets to just up and leave. It really isn't a solution for him. Either way I don't understand why moving to LA would be such a big deal. His family could still live in San Diego since it isn't that far away.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I would make a strong offer for him... Rivers and 1st to Rams and our 10th plus I. Pead and a real football player on our roster

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Boss, I love this town and never wanna leave. ... You're fired.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would make a strong offer for him... Rivers and 1st to Rams and our 10th plus I. Pead and a real football player on our roster

I wouldn't call that a strong offer. If I were San Diego, I wouldn't settle for anything less than #10 straight up for Rivers. And I'd have to know that I was getting Mariota with #10.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Rivers lives in Poway, not far from where I call home. It is about as good a family environment as you could ever imagine, and that is his deal even more than football. I don't see why he couldn't play for an LA based team, it isn't a big distance, but I don't think he will ever uproot the whole family this late in the game. No way he leaves them on a one year deal to cash in, either. This guy truly is the salt of the Earth.

Last edited: