Phil Savage Impressed by Rams Visit/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Phil Savage impressed by Rams visit
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10041/phil-savage-impressed-by-rams-visit

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Phil Savage has seen and done almost everything there is to do in the NFL, spending more than two decades as a coach, scout and executive. He even reached the height of his profession as a general manager, holding the post for the Cleveland Browns for four seasons.

But now Savage works as the executive director of the Senior Bowl and does television work right here on ESPN as a contributor to "NFL Insiders." Savage stopped by Rams Park on Tuesday and watched the St. Louis Rams' first padded practice. He walked the sidelines and spent much of the workout next to current Rams general manager Les Snead.

Wednesday morning, Savage offered thoughts on what he saw on his Twitter account, @SeniorBowlPhil. Among the players standing out to Savage: defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long, linebacker Alec Ogletree, defensive tackle Aaron Donald, tight end Cory Harkey and quarterback Sam Bradford.

Savage is scheduled to appear on NFL Insiders on Thursday and has promised to offer more takeaways from his visit to Rams Park. The show is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Here's a sampling of Savage's initial thoughts:

Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil

For @STLouisRams to break thru, need QB Sam Bradford healthy and available, the WR corps to step up big-time and more consistency from DB's.

QB Sam Bradford made several really nice downfield throws. @STLouisRams people think he is in great shape and 100% ready for season.

@STLouisRams DT Michael Brockers should be in SR year at LSU. Instead, entering 3rd year as a pro. Over-shadowed talent with huge upside.

Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil
Check out @ESPNNFL Insiders tomorrow and Friday 3-4ET for more @STLouisRams inside. Back to work @SiriusXMNFL now from @Colts camp!

@STLouisRams believe DT Aaron Donald is the missing piece to pushing their D to a top 5 level. Inside disruptive force to pair w/ Brockers.

@STLouisRams are amazed every day by DE Robert Quinn, he is a special player. Between he and Chris Long, a dynamic duo off edge. #QBpressure

@STLouisRams DT Michael Brockers should be in SR year at LSU. Instead, entering 3rd year as a pro. Over-shadowed talent with huge upside.

@STLouisRams LB Alec Ogletree continues to fill out. Listed 6'2/245, he looks it. A former HS safety that #Georgia wisely projected to LB.

So far, @STLouisRams have been very encouraged by the play of WR Brian Quick. His production is beginning to match the raw size/speed.

TE Cory Harkey had a big day w/ one-handed grab and two physical run-after-catch plays. @STLouisRams love him as 3rd TE and special teamer.

QB Sam Bradford made several really nice downfield throws. @STLouisRams people think he is in great shape and 100% ready for season.

For @STLouisRams to break thru, need QB Sam Bradford healthy and available, the WR corps to step up big-time and more consistency from DB's.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Savage saw it coming with Donald

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_50837348-c4d3-5a43-9f4a-ce26a2bc5093.html

Phil Savage stopped by Rams camp Tuesday, and he's not the least bit surprised by Aaron Donald's impressive first steps as an NFL player. Savage, after all, witnessed Donald's breakout week in late January in his duties as executive director of the Reese's Senior Bowl.

"Aaron Donald had a sensational week down there," Savage said. "Really kind of burst on the scene so to speak. I think most people thought he was probably a top of the second, maybe later first-round pick. So I think the game and the practices definitely helped him. He was really unblockable down there."

Donald, the defensive tackle from Pittsburgh, shot up draft boards after Senior Bowl week to the point where the Rams felt lucky he was there at No. 13 overall.

Under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead, the Rams have done a lot of business with Senior Bowl players.

"They value competition and I think when they see players come in for that game, you're not shying away from competition," Savage said. "You're wanting to test yourself against the other best players in the country. So I think that's probably the thread if there is one. Sometimes it's just happenstance."

Besides Donald, the Rams also drafted Senior Bowl participant Michael Sam, the defensive from the University of Missouri.

"Michael Sam was there primarily as an outside linebacker," said Savage, previously the general manager of the Cleveland Browns, and also a personnel executive with Philadelphia and Baltimore.

"But then he had a sack in the game," Savage continued. "He had kind of an ordinary week of practice but then he had the production in the game. I'm sure that's kinda what they're hoping to see out here."

THURSDAY'S PRACTICE CLOSED

The Rams' 5:30 p.m. practice tomorrow is closed to the general public because of a sponsors' function.

jjab360

Legend
I love how we've got guys like Cory Harkey stepping up who were once extremely overlooked and is now a valuable, dependable piece at multiple positions.

That catch and run against the Saints was an eye opener, hopefully there's more where that came from.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I REALLY like our TE's this year. Cook should be more consistent, Harkey is developing and IMO we're gonna get the best we've seen from Kendricks in 2014.
This group is gonna be special.

SierraRam

Recreational User
"Michael Sam was there primarily as an outside linebacker," said Savage,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought about this. He's 6'2", 260 - Natural Leader with a high football IQ & nose for the ball. Sounds like a LB to me...

AZRamsFan93

Ok, I need these guys to stop. I am getting too pumped up about this team. In recent years that has only led to disappointment. Sigh.....

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Casey Phillips spoke with former Cleveland Browns general manager and current Executive Director of Reese’s Senior Bowl, Phil Savage, at training camp today. The Rams have a number of players who played in the Senior Bowl, including Aaron Donald, Michael Sam, and Janoris Jenkins. About 35% of NFL rosters consist of Senior Bowl players.

Watch Savage Interview