PFT’s 2014 All-Unemployed Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
After watching Freeman during 2010, I would never have guessed he'd end up tanking.
Agreed. I went down to Tampa when the Rams played there a few years back and I remember walking away pretty impressed with Freeman. Really shocked at his descent.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After watching Freeman during 2010, I would never have guessed he'd end up tanking.

I called that one. And I remember going round and round on the Huddle with one particular poster who was using Freeman as an example of a late first round "hit" in a lengthy QB debate.

He's never been all that good, he had a decent stat line in 2010 but it was inflated by a few games. Much like when DAnderson had a "big year" in CLE. It was really out of whack because of a handful of games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I called that one. And I remember going round and round on the Huddle with one particular poster who was using Freeman as an example of a late first round "hit" in a lengthy QB debate.

He's never been all that good, he had a decent stat line in 2010 but it was inflated by a few games. Much like when DAnderson had a "big year" in CLE. It was really out of whack because of a handful of games.
I didn't pay attention to his stat line. I don't even know what it looks like. I was just going off of what I saw in games, and how he was clutch when it counted.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't pay attention to his stat line. I don't even know what it looks like. I was just going off of what I saw in games, and how he was clutch when it counted.

He had a few really big games but never took the next step, forward anyways. Then of course the other issues surfaced.

He always seemed like a decent guy, I wonder if the money ruined him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will Hill goes unclaimed on waivers
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 3, 2014

willhill-e1387661794602.jpg
AP

No one wants Will Hill.

Hill, the safety who was waived by the Giants after the NFL suspended him six games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, went unclaimed on waivers.

That’s no surprise: Hill is now on his third NFL suspension, with one previous suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and one for violating the league’s performance-enhancing substances policy. NFL teams probably figure that Hill just isn’t worth the trouble.

Still, Hill is a talented player who is only 24 years old and could be had for the league-minimum salary. It’s possible that some team will decide to give him another chance. If so, Hill would be eligible to participate in offseason work, training camp and the preseason, but he would have to stay away from the team until after Week Six. Hill is now a free agent, so he can get to work on trying to convince some team that he’ll be able to stay out of trouble.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Nobody's going to want him before having him in house to see what, if anything, is going on in his head.

Hill going unclaimed was pretty obvious.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Browns cut outside linebacker Quentin Groves
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 6, 2014

quentin-groves-e1382139581614.jpg
AP

Any time there’s a regime change, there will be certain useful players who might not fit the new one.

That may be the case in Cleveland, as the Browns just cut outside linebacker Quentin Groves, according to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports.

Groves finished last year on injured reserve, but is healthy now.

The former second-round pick has always shown just enough pass-rush ability to stay employed, but has just 8.5 sacks in six seasons with the Jaguars, Raiders, Cardinals and Browns. His best year was a 4.0-sack season in 2012 with the Cardinals.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Financial problems mount for Will Hill
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvlzdkzotdimdu4njgyngzjmtq2odflnti4ntmwmty3-e1398172987471.jpeg
AP
Will Hill is out of work after the Giants released him as a result of his third NFL suspension. He may need to find a job soon.

According to PIX-11, a New Jersey woman who rented a home to Hill is going after him for $15,000 in damages he caused to the home. The woman agreed to settle for just $2,500, but he didn’t even come up with that.

Hill may be broke: According to Jordan Raanan of NJ.com, Hill owes at least one former business associate money. And last year Hill was arrested for failing to pay child support.

Although Hill has made several hundred thousand dollars in his two NFL seasons, he doesn’t come across as the most responsible of people. He may have blown all of it already, and it’s unclear whether any other team will ever be willing to give him a chance at another NFL payday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/financial-problems-mount-for-will-hill/

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Free agent safety Mike Adams still hopeful for another opportunity
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 10, 2014

mike-adams.jpg
Getty Images

Mike Adams desperately hopes the Super Bowl isn’t the last memory of his NFL career.

The former Denver Broncos safety remains a free agent as offseason programs around the league inch toward wrapping before the summer break. The last time Adams was on a football field was for the 43-8 defeat at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII. He had six tackles for Denver in the game before becoming a free agent in March.

In an interview with Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on Sirius XM NFL Radio, Adams said it’s a bit unsettling to still not have a team to play for with the calendar already turning to June.

This is the longest I’ve ever waited to get picked up so the anxiety is starting to pick up now,” Adams said.

“I can’t fathom me going out like this. I can’t imagine losing a big game and not even having another opportunity to step on the field. That’s why the anxiety is picking up with me.”

Adams said he thought the Broncos would bring him back to serve as a veteran leader for the team but added that door is likely shut now. However, Adams said he has heard from several teams that could have interest in bringing him in this season. The New England Patriots and New York Jets have inquired with his agent. So have Adams’ former teams, the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers.

The 10-year veteran has appeared in 146 games with 73 starts in his career. He had 64 tackles and one interception for the Broncos last season.

“Hopefully I can land a spot. All I need is another opportunity,” Adams said.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Browns have seen enough from Earl Bennett
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 17, 2014

earlbennett.jpg
AP

The Browns might not have Josh Gordon for the year, but they’ve begun sifting through the imported replacements.

The team announced they’ve terminated the contract of wide receiver Earl Bennett.

They signed Bennett a month ago, but apparently saw enough in a short time to know he wasn’t going to be of help.

Bennett had been occasionally productive with the Bears, but was a salary cap casualty this offseason.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Bears sign veteran safety Adrian Wilson
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 23, 2014

a-wilsonarms-e1392752829826.jpg
Getty Images

Adrian Wilson seemed like such a natural fit with the Patriots when he signed a year ago, but he never played a down for them.

Now, the five-time Pro Bowler has a chance to continue his career.

The Bears announced they signed Wilson Monday, along with tight end Jeron Mastrud.

Wilson tore his Achilles in the preseason finale last year, and spent the year on injured reserve. It will be interesting to see if he’s recovered enough to compete for a roster spot.

The Bears aren’t loaded at the position, but Wilson was beginning to look like a situational player before the injury.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
That's been going on for a long time. TE's are used in place of FB's. No FB means one more position open on a 53 man roster. Don't necessarily agree with that but there it is. If a team wins a Super Bowl with a great FB then there may be a resurgence with that position.
As the draft unfolded, I was kinda hoping we would have nabbed Jay Prosch, Fullback, Auburn in this years draft. He was instrumental in sealing off that last block on a number of plays we saw on tape of that fantastic Auburn rushing attack. Getting him in addition to Robinson/Mason would have been kind of nice. Houston selected him with a 6th round compensatory (211 overall). If you are gearing your team towards power run it makes sense to me to have a crushing FB back there.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
There are some vets there at defensive back that might not be the worst add in the world in terms of adding experience.

Debacled

Starter
Will Hill is still pulling the same antics he was at Florida. The guy is a certified bone head, and has no regard for implications of his actions at all. Some guys live and learn, he prefers to just keep sinking.

It is the reason he went undrafted, and it is the reason he is now without a team. He may have punched his last ticket.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Brandon Flowers agrees to one-year contract with Chargers
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 24, 2014

300x-84-e1379520659483.jpg
Getty Images

Brandon Flowers is staying in the AFC West but heading to San Diego.

Flowers has agreed to a contract with the Chargers. It’s a one-year deal, according to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports.

For Flowers, who was cut by the Chiefs 11 days ago, signing a one-year contract is a way of betting on himself. He’ll hit free agency next year with a chance to cash in on a big contract.

The 28-year-old Flowers has already received one big contract, having signed a five-year, $50 million contract with $22 million guaranteed in 2011. Flowers only played three of the five years on that deal. Now he’ll play one year in San Diego and see where the market is in March.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cowboys finally release Kyle Orton
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 15, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvhn2y1mdbkodkxnwu2zmvlnzyyzddhyjcxmwy2nznm.jpeg
AP

The Cowboys apparently saw enough of Brandon Weeden to make them willing to eat the money.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Cowboys have informed veteran quarterback Kyle Orton he will be released.

The Cowboys held out hope the veteran backup would return, and that he might retire (at which point he’d owe them $3 million in signing bonus). But when he skipped veteran minicamp (incurring $70,000 worth of fines) it was clear he wasn’t bluffing.

Now, they’ll roll with Weeden behind Tony Romo, who is coming off back surgery.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Chargers part ways with Larry English
Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrhy2e2mwqwnmjlywmwntiwm2jizwu2odiwn2m1ntlj.jpeg
Getty Images

The Chargers haven’t opened up training camp yet, but they’ve already decided that linebacker Larry English won’t be a member of their 53-man roster.

The team announced Tuesday that they have released English. The Chargers also announced that they have signed center Khalil Wilkes.

English was a first-round pick in 2009, but never developed into the player they hoped to get when they selected him out of Northern Illinois. English made just nine starts in his 52 appearances with the Chargers and produced 11 sacks and one forced fumble over that stretch. Injuries contributed to keeping him off the field, including a pec injury that sent him to injured reserve last season, but English wasn’t much of a factor when he was healthy.

English is not subject to waivers, so he is free to sign with any team once now that he’s been officially dropped by the Chargers.

RustyRay

Rookie
Will Hill is still pulling the same antics he was at Florida. The guy is a certified bone head, and has no regard for implications of his actions at all. Some guys live and learn, he prefers to just keep sinking.

It is the reason he went undrafted, and it is the reason he is now without a team. He may have punched his last ticket.

Hill is currently playing in the AFL for the Arizona Rattlers...pretty large drop in pay.