PFT: Week 12 - “Three and Out” - Rams at Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/22/week-12-three-and-out/

Rams at Chargers

1. Is Philip Rivers injured?

Yes, but that isn’t slowing him down.

“I can honestly say that there’s nothing going on that’s hindering me in any way,” Rivers said this week. “Shoot, there’s a lot of guys in that locker room that are playing that are a lot sorer than I am.”

It’s not in Rivers’ DNA to cry uncle when it comes to injuries.

“Growing up around it, my dad always said, ‘Shoot, unless you can’t walk, you find a way to play, or find a way to get off the field,’” Rivers said. “That was the main thing. Don’t lay out there on the field. I found my way off a few times last Sunday.”

The Chargers finally put Rivers on the injury report, three days after tight end Antonio Gates said the quarterback has a “very severe rib injury.” But Rivers says he’ll play on Sunday, and that he’ll be “fresh.”

2. Is Rivers’ center injured, again?

Yes. And it could mean that the team’s fourth different starting center will play on Sunday.

Rich Ohrnberger is questionable; if he can’t play, rookie Chris Watt gets the nod.

Watt has 64 snaps at center so far, and he has been playing some guard.

“The old adage is, he’s no longer a rookie,” offensive coordinator Frank Reich said this week. “He’s proven himself.”

3. When will Chris Long be back?

Possibly soon. He suffered an ankle injury in Week One, and he remains on injured reserve with designation for return, even though he could have returned to the active roster three weeks ago.

“He’s getting better each day,” coach Jeff Fisher said this week. “We’ll just wait and see how he is [Friday]. If that’s the case [and Long is ready], then obviously we have to make a roster move, so we’ll see how he is.”

Whether or not the roster move is made late Saturday, the roster move could be coming sooner.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/22/week-12-three-and-out/

Rams at Chargers

1. Is Philip Rivers injured?

Yes, but that isn’t slowing him down.

“I can honestly say that there’s nothing going on that’s hindering me in any way,” Rivers said this week. “Shoot, there’s a lot of guys in that locker room that are playing that are a lot sorer than I am.”

It’s not in Rivers’ DNA to cry uncle when it comes to injuries.

“Growing up around it, my dad always said, ‘Shoot, unless you can’t walk, you find a way to play, or find a way to get off the field,’” Rivers said. “That was the main thing. Don’t lay out there on the field. I found my way off a few times last Sunday.”

The Chargers finally put Rivers on the injury report, three days after tight end Antonio Gates said the quarterback has a “very severe rib injury.” But Rivers says he’ll play on Sunday, and that he’ll be “fresh.”

Yes. And it could mean that the team’s fourth different starting center will play on Sunday.

Rich Ohrnberger is questionable; if he can’t play, rookie Chris Watt gets the nod.

“The old adage is, he’s no longer a rookie,” offensive coordinator Frank Reich said this week. “He’s proven himself.”

3. When will Chris Long be back?

Possibly soon. He suffered an ankle injury in Week One, and he remains on injured reserve with designation for return, even though he could have returned to the active roster three weeks ago.

“He’s getting better each day,” coach Jeff Fisher said this week. “We’ll just wait and see how he is [Friday]. If that’s the case [and Long is ready], then obviously we have to make a roster move, so we’ll see how he is.”

Whether or not the roster move is made late Saturday, the roster move could be coming sooner.

Say hello to Aaron Donald!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Everyone talking about this being one of our easier games is wrong. This is a skilled Chargers team that has been facing adversity and are in desperate need of a win. They aren't going to allow anyone to steamroll them at home with it all on the line. We can expect physicality.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This makes me smell Blood-in-the-water! Who goes up-the-middle? EVERYONE!!:D

It can't be soon enough for me!(y)

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
All Aboard the A-Gap Train!

“The old adage is, he’s no longer a rookie,” offensive coordinator Frank Reich said this week. “He’s proven himself

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Everyone talking about this being one of our easier games is wrong. This is a skilled Chargers team that has been facing adversity and are in desperate need of a win. They aren't going to allow anyone to steamroll them at home with it all on the line. We can expect physicality.
That's right! They went to the playoffs last year so they have the talent and experience! It's gonna be a dog fight for sure!

RamzFanz

Damnit

Wise words wise one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'll agree with you too brother. No doubt, the Chargers aren't going to be intimidated by the NFC West physical style like the Broncos were.

I do like some matchups though...

Let's start with center. I liked Chris Watt coming out of ND quite a bit and think he's gonna be solid. However, JLau has been very, very good of late stirring $hit up on the inside with the opposing interior OL with pre-snap looks, and when you consider what Donald is doing in there the Rams have been a matchup nightmare for the past few games peaking with that Denver game. Watt has his work cut out for him.

Gates. Normally this guy is a matchup nightmare for the defense, but the Rams have quietly raised the bar so much in their secondary play that for the first time in a long time I'm not too worried about the opposing TE. He's gonna get some catches, for sure, but throwing to him will be risky since Williams will have these guys ready and has plenty of options in his packages starting with TJM and AO.

Rivers. I'm a big fan of his, first off. I live in San Dog, so I see a lot of their games and the dude is as tough as they come and very competitive. But the matchup here is pretty good for the Rams. They should be in his face all day. He's not mobile. I wonder, personally, whether he'll make it out of this game because Williams no doubt has a nefarious plan for him.

Mason. The Chargers' defensive gameplan is going to be all about stopping Mason. It's the key to the game for them. If they stuff him for a low YPC early and often they have a very good chance to win this game because I don't like Hill throwing into the teeth of that defense on consistent 3rd and longs. But the Rams OL has been getting better and better and did a fine job against the Broncos defense. I think they're gonna get Mason some seams and the dude's a gamer.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'll agree with you too brother. No doubt, the Chargers aren't going to be intimidated by the NFC West physical style like the Broncos were.

I do like some matchups though...

Let's start with center. I liked Chris Watt coming out of ND quite a bit and think he's gonna be solid. However, JLau has been very, very good of late stirring $hit up on the inside with the opposing interior OL with pre-snap looks, and when you consider what Donald is doing in there the Rams have been a matchup nightmare for the past few games peaking with that Denver game. Watt has his work cut out for him.

Gates. Normally this guy is a matchup nightmare for the defense, but the Rams have quietly raised the bar so much in their secondary play that for the first time in a long time I'm not too worried about the opposing TE. He's gonna get some catches, for sure, but throwing to him will be risky since Williams will have these guys ready and has plenty of options in his packages starting with TJM and AO.

Rivers. I'm a big fan of his, first off. I live in San Dog, so I see a lot of their games and the dude is as tough as they come and very competitive. But the matchup here is pretty good for the Rams. They should be in his face all day. He's not mobile. I wonder, personally, whether he'll make it out of this game because Williams no doubt has a nefarious plan for him.

Mason. The Chargers' defensive gameplan is going to be all about stopping Mason. It's the key to the game for them. If they stuff him for a low YPC early and often they have a very good chance to win this game because I don't like Hill throwing into the teeth of that defense on consistent 3rd and longs. But the Rams OL has been getting better and better and did a fine job against the Broncos defense. I think they're gonna get Mason some seams and the dude's a gamer.

You have the right gameplan here. We have all the pieces to win this game as long as we don't make poor decisions. It's the turnovers and defensive miscues that have plagued this team early on and we have no room left for error. Do or die time!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe that Brockers is the one who will get the chance to blow up that center more than Donald. Brockers was highly active last week & to me played one of his best games as a pro I have seen. When the Rams have both Brockers & Donald playing their A game.....the Rams will dominate the OL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/chris-watt?id=2543629

Rams DL should own the Chargers OL when it comes to passing conditions. One issue will be at DLE. If Gregg Williams can finds a way to put some speed as an outside pass rusher or even a safety on the LOS like Mark Barron just outside of ORT DJ Fluker he can be beat often! William Hayes is not a good match up against DJ Fluker.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
JLau has been very, very good of late stirring $hit up on the inside with the opposing interior OL with pre-snap looks, and when you consider what Donald is doing in there the Rams have been a matchup nightmare for the past few games peaking with that Denver game.
I personally don't think it's accurate to say the Rams D 'Peaked' during the Bronco game. They won't even begin to peak until Chris Long is back in, at 100%!;)

Now on SD haveing a third string C line up within arm length of Donald.... :eek:
Even worse...fourth string C. ;)
On this^ subject, I've said it before, but it bares repeating, This^ make me smell ' Blood-in-the-water!' Donald, Brockers, JL, everyone taking turns attacking the middle, until it breaks!!(y):D

Alan

Legend
bluecollarram with a new avatar:
Say hello to Aaron Donald!
I can't see what's in your new picture but my daughter thinks it's nice and she's got my genes so I do too. (y)

Alan

Legend
bluecollarram trying to give me an eye opener:
same avatar I've always had

This isn't your old one?
images