PFT Preseason Power Rankings: Rams #27

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
And while Jeff Fisher was shown the door, Les Snead remains as general manager. If Stan Kroenke’s finds reason to oust Snead after (or during) this season, a new G.M. could be given authority to bring in his own head coach for the future.

A new GM will have to work with McVay. Seems like McVay and Snead are getting along well.

But that doesn’t mean the Rams are completely devoid of talent. Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Todd Gurley, Alec Ogletree and Trumaine Johnson are all legitimate pieces to build a team around. If Jared Goff can make a sizable jump in his second season – despite having to learn a completely new offense – the Rams could make some strides faster than expected.

Sounds good.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Kenny Britt... is NOT the biggest negative change. That is freaking ridiculous to even say.

Sending him packing was addition by subtraction.

That guy has the ability of a HOF'er and the mind of a freak up. Put those 2 together and you get jack crap.

He will fit in perfectly in Cleveland.
He put up a thousand-yard season in one of the most inept passing offenses in our lifetime. He is probably the biggest loss.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Britt was the ring leader of the "Country Club Culture Clique". Seems like us die hard Rams Fans are the only ones privy to Fishers laid back TC's

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Britt was the ring leader of the "Country Club Culture Clique". Seems like us die hard Rams Fans are the only ones privy to Fishers laid back TC's
Someone has to be the biggest loss. If not Britt, then who? McDonald? Barnes?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Kenny Britt... is NOT the biggest negative change. That is freaking ridiculous to even say.

Sending him packing was addition by subtraction.

That guy has the ability of a HOF'er and the mind of a freak up. Put those 2 together and you get jack crap.

He will fit in perfectly in Cleveland.

What would you say is the biggest negative change then?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He put up a thousand-yard season in one of the most inept passing offenses in our lifetime. He is probably the biggest loss.

If you say so. LOL

Too bad he didn't sign with your beloved pats... hard to believe Belicheat didn't swoop in and sign a player of Britt's obvious value. And to think Cleveland was the team that out foxed the hooded one... wow.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What would you say is the biggest negative change then?

I bet Kendricks does a great job up in Green Bay. He did drop too many balls... but that dude won some games for us. He'd be my pick for biggest negative change. But, if our young buck TEs are coached up and are able to perform... losing Lance may actually turn into a positive.

Overall... our changes should all be positive really. There's little doubt that major changes were needed.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If you say so. LOL

Too bad he didn't sign with your beloved pats... hard to believe Belicheat didn't swoop in and sign a player of Britt's obvious value. And to think Cleveland was the team that out foxed the hooded one... wow.
Pats have plenty of WRs, thank you. The series being posted requires a "biggest gain" and "biggest loss," and Britt fits as the "biggest loss" for the Rams. You make the argument for Kendricks, and it can be made, but is it really so crazy to state that the man who accumulated 30% of your receiving yardage and 40% of your receiving TDs is the biggest loss?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I bet Kendricks does a great job up in Green Bay. He did drop too many balls... but that dude won some games for us. He'd be my pick for biggest negative change. But, if our young buck TEs are coached up and are able to perform... losing Lance may actually turn into a positive.

Overall... our changes should all be positive really. There's little doubt that major changes were needed.
Kendricks was pretty solid while he was with the Rams IMO.

No great, but pretty solid.

I agree... with an offense and QB like Rodgers, he might shine up there.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Pats have plenty of WRs, thank you. The series being posted requires a "biggest gain" and "biggest loss," and Britt fits as the "biggest loss" for the Rams. You make the argument for Kendricks, and it can be made, but is it really so crazy to state that the man who accumulated 30% of your receiving yardage and 40% of your receiving TDs is the biggest loss?

Everybody can have an opinion on what they think the biggest loss is. In my mind... watching Britt go elsewhere is a huge gain.

With your love of Belicheat being so strong... I'm surprised that you see such value in Britt. He's just the kind of player your cheating pos leader looks to add to his team right??? A gifted athlete with a "I Don't Give A Fuck" mind. Does that sound like a hoody move to you? Please. Who gives a fuck about him finally breaking the 1K yard mark for the 1st time in his career. That added up to jack shit in reality,,, and you already know that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ason-power-rankings-no-26-indianapolis-colts/

PFT Preseason power rankings No. 26: Indianapolis Colts
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 13, 2017

630769626-e1499791518671.jpg
Getty Images

The Colts could actually be pretty good. As long as Andrew Luck’s shoulder’s fine and they can keep him upright in the future.

Of course, those are two pretty big questions, and neither of them are close to certainties at the moment.

At last news, Luck still wasn’t throwing after having surgery on his very valuable right shoulder. We’re sufficiently far away from the start of the regular season that this could easily be a lot of worry about nothing. But when an entire franchise is riding on that surgical reconstruction, it’s also not the kind of thing to minimize.

Beyond that, they pushed through years of awkwardness-if-not-dysfunction by firing General Manager Ryan Grigson and keeping coach Chuck Pagano. He and new G.M. Chris Ballard won’t be tied at the hip, which could create future tension.

Ballard realized the defense he inherited was a bad one, and bought in bulk to help shore it up. He signed a bunch of solid, competent players such as Johnathan Hankins and Jabaal Sheard and John Simon who lend ballast to a side of the ball that needed it most.

It will take some time to stabilize things completely, but as long as Luck’s able to play, they’re going to contend in the AFC South.

Biggest positive change: It’s unseemly to kick a man when he’s down, but he’s also already down there next to your foot so it seems like a waste not to sometimes.

Put simply, Grigson squandered the single-most valuable commodity a G.M. could be gifted with: A good quarterback on a cheap rookie contract.

Instead of investing the savings wisely (the way the Seahawks did and others have), Grigson bought a bunch of non-contributors and wasted the window in which Luck was good and cheap. Now that he’s good and expensive, the job is going to be harder for Ballard to put the right parts around his quarterback.

Biggest negative change: They still haven’t invested in protecting Luck the way you think they would after he took 41 sacks last year. Former G.M. Bill Polian knew he was building an unbalanced team when he had Peyton Manning, but he did it because he knew Manning was his top asset and should be protected. The Colts have brought back largely the same line as last year, and that line wasn’t good enough then.

Coaching thermometer: Pagano might have another year or two after the scapegoating of Grigson (not that he did it), but he’s on at least a steady simmer if not a low boil. He and Ballard have different agendas, and lack familiarity. While they might have similar goals, Ballard’s there for the long-term fix and will obviously have more time to do it.

We’d like to crack a beer with . . . We’d say Pagano, but we’re afraid he’d want to keep chopping wood and we’d be there all night. Frank Gore’s one of the more underrated backs of recent memory, and his workmanlike approach to his craft makes him one of the most respected by his peers. He’s also had ringside seats for some real weirdness in his career in San Francisco and now Indianapolis, which would make his perspective on looking for stability an interesting one.

How they can prove us wrong: If 2016 first-rounder Ryan Kelly turns into Luck’s Jeff Saturday, it would begin to stabilize the line and maybe they all get better. Otherwise, a lot of guys upfront are going to have to play beyond their level for this thing to stay on track. Again, it’s the AFC South so the bar’s not the highest. But the Titans have made big strides of late, and the Texans are always close, and one day the Jaguars might deliver, so there’s pressure on the Colts not to fall farther behind.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have my usual level of disdain and who cares regarding typical "dead time".. I have to write some kind of ridiculous piece of fluff filler...I know my piece will generate a ton of meaningful dialogue among all fans...Said no sports writer ever !!!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Everybody can have an opinion on what they think the biggest loss is. In my mind... watching Britt go elsewhere is a huge gain.

With your love of Belicheat being so strong... I'm surprised that you see such value in Britt. He's just the kind of player your cheating pos leader looks to add to his team right??? A gifted athlete with a "I Don't Give A freak" mind. Does that sound like a hoody move to you? Please. Who gives a freak about him finally breaking the 1K yard mark for the 1st time in his career. That added up to jack crap in reality,,, and you already know that.
Belichick has taken flyers on gifted athletes with "IDGAF" reputations before - Moss and Ochocinco come to mind - but Belichick is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not Britt was a meaningful loss to the Rams.

Positives: he led the Rams in receiving yards in each of the 3 years he played for them, he stayed healthy and started 16 16 and 15 games

Negatives: he never played up to his raw ability, didn't find the end-zone terribly often, made a sex tape and slacked on the field, didn't break 1000 yards until his contract year

You may not like his attitude, and he's certainly not close to as good as he should be, but the Rams will need to replace about a third of their receiving yards. That also kind of underscores your point about Kendricks, since he was by far and away the best receiving TE (499 yards vs. Higbee's 85) and even brings a bit of Quick into the mix (2nd-most receiving yards at 564).

I would also like to point out that "biggest loss" doesn't mean "irreplaceable" - it was not a bad decision to let Britt walk and give opportunities to the younger, hungrier guys, and while I think he's overpaid I do like Robert Woods' skillset as a young veteran to be a leader and solid possession guy.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Belichick has taken flyers on gifted athletes with "IDGAF" reputations before - Moss and Ochocinco come to mind - but Belichick is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not Britt was a meaningful loss to the Rams.

Positives: he led the Rams in receiving yards in each of the 3 years he played for them, he stayed healthy and started 16 16 and 15 games

Negatives: he never played up to his raw ability, didn't find the end-zone terribly often, made a sex tape and slacked on the field, didn't break 1000 yards until his contract year

You may not like his attitude, and he's certainly not close to as good as he should be, but the Rams will need to replace about a third of their receiving yards. That also kind of underscores your point about Kendricks, since he was by far and away the best receiving TE (499 yards vs. Higbee's 85) and even brings a bit of Quick into the mix (2nd-most receiving yards at 564).

I would also like to point out that "biggest loss" doesn't mean "irreplaceable" - it was not a bad decision to let Britt walk and give opportunities to the younger, hungrier guys, and while I think he's overpaid I do like Robert Woods' skillset as a young veteran to be a leader and solid possession guy.

The teams lining up for his services led to him signing with Cleveland. That just about sums it up.

You know exactly why I brought Beli-fat into this. And you know damn well that he would never "take a flier", much less add Britt to a team of his.

Same thing happened with the new Ram decision makers.

They gave Britt a big Aloha.

As I clearly stated... imho... getting rid of that player was addition by subtraction. No way in hell that allowing him to hit the bricks equates to a negative for the Rams.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
My 2 cents... Benny probably will be the biggest loss. Did well was a backup, KR, 3rd Down RB.
Britt is not a loss, it isn't a negative that he is gone. It's a gain that he and Quick are both gone.
Kendricks is about even, neither positive or negative impact. Drafted a great TE and had two on the team that could step up. So it had to be Benny.

Otherwise you would have had to say Keenum as a Sports Writer, considering the current starting QB hasn't won a game. But as a fan, it's Benny.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/12/pft-preseason-power-rankings-no-27-los-angeles-rams/

PFT preseason power rankings No. 27: Los Angeles Rams
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 12, 2017

631484896-e1492000764789.jpg
Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams have not made the postseason since 2004. We don’t expect that to change in 2017.

But that doesn’t mean the Rams are completely devoid of talent. Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Todd Gurley, Alec Ogletree and Trumaine Johnson are all legitimate pieces to build a team around. If Jared Goff can make a sizable jump in his second season – despite having to learn a completely new offense – the Rams could make some strides faster than expected.

A year removed from the move from St. Louis to Los Angeles, the franchise is more settled in their routines and environments in Southern California. For a team that could never find consistency under Jeff Fisher, the change to Sean McVay gives the Rams a fresh start for the first time in five years.

Biggest positive change: Mr. 7-9 is no longer coaching the team. The St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams perennially fell short during the Jeff Fisher era. While he certainly inherited a long-term mess to clean up when he came to the team, the Rams were still an enigma under Fisher.

They’d get up for games against division rivals like San Francisco and Seattle and then fall flat against teams they had no business losing to. They also always played with an aggressive style that bordered on cheap and dirty too often. And despite having several stars on defense, they never could put together an offense capable of leading the team into the postseason.

Biggest negative change: Kenny Britt was arguably the best player on offense for the Rams last season and now he’s in Cleveland. He was one of Jared Goff’s most reliable targets and was the first Rams’ receiver since 2007 to eclipse the 1,000-yard receiving mark in a season. Britt finished the year with 68 catches for 1,002 yards and five touchdowns.

While Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Nelson Spruce might be able to fill the void, it again leaves Tavon Austin – who the Rams gave a ridiculously over-valued contract extension to last year – as a focal point of the offense despite being a somewhat awkward receiving/scat back hybrid.

Coaching thermometer: While Sean McVay should get some time to turn the Rams’ fortunes around, his hot seat clocks in at a tepid 55 degrees. This is Los Angeles after all. The pressure to build a winner quickly will be substantial as the franchise tries to build a new footing in L.A.

And while Jeff Fisher was shown the door, Les Snead remains as general manager. If Stan Kroenke’s finds reason to oust Snead after (or during) this season, a new G.M. could be given authority to bring in his own head coach for the future.

We’d like to crack a beer with . . . Johnny Hekker. The Rams’ All-Pro punter has been the best in the league for several seasons and brings a great sense of humor along with him. We’d also like to ask exactly what the hell he was thinking when he decided it was a good idea to blindside Michael Bennett in Seattle two seasons ago.

How they can prove us wrong: Sean McVay manages to tailor an offense to suit Jared Goff and Todd Gurley and get a significant spike in production. Wade Phillips manages to seamlessly convert a former 4-3 defense into a 3-4 front and not lose any productivity in the change.

Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn continue to terrorize opposing offensive lines. Trumaine Johnson uses his franchise tag year to build an argument for the All-Pro team. If the Rams can find a way to be in the Wild Card discussion as the calendar hits December, they will have surpassed expectations.
I have a message for this^ writer, Mr. Crabtree ....

Finger Monkey.gif

the Sargent.gif

the change to Sean McVay gives the Rams a fresh start for the first time in five years.
Brilliant statement!:puke:

They’d get up for games against division rivals like San Francisco and Seattle and then fall flat against teams they had no business losing to. They also always played with an aggressive style that bordered on cheap and dirty too often.
"Cheap and Dirty!!?!" BS!!

Wishful thinking on your part Mr. Crabtree! Not going to happen!

. . . Johnny Hekker. The Rams’ All-Pro punter has been the best in the league for several seasons and brings a great sense of humor along with him. We’d also like to ask exactly what the hell he was thinking when he decided it was a good idea to blindside Michael Bennett in Seattle two seasons ago.
Now Crabtree, your showing your true colors!! YOUR a "Hag's Fan!"! Liar!Liar! Pants on Fire!

How they can prove us wrong: Sean McVay manages to tailor an offense to suit Jared Goff and Todd Gurley and get a significant spike in production. Wade Phillips manages to seamlessly convert a former 4-3 defense into a 3-4 front and not lose any productivity in the change.

Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn continue to terrorize opposing offensive lines. Trumaine Johnson uses his franchise tag year to build an argument for the All-Pro team. If the Rams can find a way to be in the Wild Card discussion as the calendar hits December,
No Problem "Bozo"!

JMHO!!!