PFF O-Line grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I know you are an oline geek too and I respect your opinion greatly. I agree that playing OG last year probably didnt do him any favors, but I also question that a little also. Enough great T's played G their first year and transitioned to tackle without much issues, but I also understand the learning curve for him was steeper.

As for expectations, I thought he was ok for a first year guy. With an entire off season, camps and preseason I expected a big jump in his performance which I havent seen as of yet.

As for your limb, I hope you are right lol. I know there is more with this player and he has the potential to be great. I dont see it yet but its early and there is time to grow.

For the record Im not a poster who is going to tag this or pull it later if you ended up being wrong.....I know you own what you say. There are certain posters who you read and other you read, learn and remember what they say. Your a poster enjoy hearing from and know were you stand on things. I remember your post because I find them informative and knowledgeable.....I just disagree on this point at this moment. :)
Thank you for the compliment. I truly appreciate it. The only thing I disagree with, is that he didn't have a whole off-season (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/rams-tackle-greg-robinson-has-toe-surgery/), and yes players have made that switch, but not usually as rookies, and certainly not one's as inexperienced as him, which you mentioned.

The dude needs a lot of tech work, that is a certainty. I enjoyed the conversation about GRob, and I think he will still have some growing pains, and maybe a bad game or two, but who doesn't? For the record, I did want Robinson, but I would have been fine with Matthews, who I also liked, and I voiced that before that draft. I felt GRob had a higher ceiling, but I knew he'd have to develop.

I may have even changed my opinion, if I knew J. Long would totally not be ready, or possibly done, as a player.

Hopefully, we are discussing a different lineman next time, and hopefully, it's positive. I'm worried about Peppers, and Matthews. They are great, experienced players, who both have incredible instincts. I expect a couple sacks. I hope....that we have none.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Thank you for the compliment. I truly appreciate it. The only thing I disagree with, is that he didn't have a whole off-season (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/rams-tackle-greg-robinson-has-toe-surgery/), and yes players have made that switch, but not usually as rookies, and certainly not one's as inexperienced as him, which you mentioned.

The dude needs a lot of tech work, that is a certainty. I enjoyed the conversation about GRob, and I think he will still have some growing pains, and maybe a bad game or two, but who doesn't? For the record, I did want Robinson, but I would have been fine with Matthews, who I also liked, and I voiced that before that draft. I felt GRob had a higher ceiling, but I knew he'd have to develop.

I may have even changed my opinion, if I knew J. Long would totally not be ready, or possibly done, as a player.

Hopefully, we are discussing a different lineman next time, and hopefully, it's positive. I'm worried about Peppers, and Matthews. They are great, experienced players, who both have incredible instincts. I expect a couple sacks. I hope....that we have none.

I agree with alot of what you said above. The tech part of his game definately needs work. I also agree with GRob's ceiling is much higher than Matthews'. I havent given up on the player just was hoping to see a big jump this year. But Im with you, I hope we see a different guy next time. Who knows maybe its this week!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Atlanta also has little Shanny and we know that system tends to work extremely well. Baltimore had arguably the best OL in the NFL last year under Kubiak. They look very averaget his year. That system is just amazing when you have an expert that can coach it.

Plus, it fits Matthews' and Person's skill-sets perfectly (same with Levitre). Although, I was disappointed we let Person go. He was a solid player for us.

V3

Hall of Fame
To me, it goes back to Snisher's drafting philosophy:

Draft athletes, even if they'll need coaching up for a year or two.

Freaks of nature... that's what they seem to gravitate toward.

It's frustrating to have to wait... then, if these athletes never do get "it", we wasted one... two... years.

Pead, Quick... maybe Robinson now (hope not!)
I'd say more like three to four years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Atlanta also has little Shanny and we know that system tends to work extremely well. Baltimore had arguably the best OL in the NFL last year under Kubiak. They look very averaget his year. That system is just amazing when you have an expert that can coach it.

Plus, it fits Matthews' and Person's skill-sets perfectly (same with Levitre). Although, I was disappointed we let Person go. He was a solid player for us.
Yeah, I didn't get why we let him go. Seems, we could have had him on the cheap, and he was versatile.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
G-Rob is going to be a multiple-time All Pro, and I think he'll become our best lineman by the end of this season. I love that kid's attitude. He's not too big for the game, and he knows it. When he gets his technique down, he'll be a monster.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I know you are an oline geek too and I respect your opinion greatly. I agree that playing OG last year probably didnt do him any favors, but I also question that a little also. Enough great T's played G their first year and transitioned to tackle without much issues, but I also understand the learning curve for him was steeper.

As for expectations, I thought he was ok for a first year guy. With an entire off season, camps and preseason I expected a big jump in his performance which I havent seen as of yet.

As for your limb, I hope you are right lol. I know there is more with this player and he has the potential to be great. I dont see it yet but its early and there is time to grow.

For the record Im not a poster who is going to tag this or pull it later if you ended up being wrong.....I know you own what you say. There are certain posters who you read and other you read, learn and remember what they say. Your a poster enjoy hearing from and know were you stand on things. I remember your post because I find them informative and knowledgeable.....I just disagree on this point at this moment. :)

Besides the outstanding observations Boston Ram, Memento, Merlin and Dr. Ram have contributed, let's look facts about ex- Auburn LT Greg Robinson...

1. Greg Robinson is only 22 years old.

2. Robinson is playing Left Tackle across from the best pass rushers the NFL has to offer up. Let's look at the monsters Robinson has faced this year.

Game 1- Seahawks- All Pro Cliff Avril has 52.5 career sacks and 22 forced fumbles.
Currently the Seahawks are the #2 ranked defense in the NFL.

Game 2 -Washington 3-4 DT Jason Hatcher who led all DT's in 2013 with 11 sacks. ( Since then our own Aaron Donaldson has arrived!)
Washington are the currently the 4th ranked defense in the NFL

Game 3- Steelers young and upcoming , Stephon Tuitt... Current sack leader on the Steelers with 3.5 sacks. If Tuitt keeps it up he will be an AFC all pro in 2015.
The Steelers are the 12th ranked defense in the NFL

Game 4- All Pro Calais Campbell has career 43.5 sacks and is a one wrecking crew. Next to CB Patrick Peterson I believe Campbell to be the next best defensive player on the Cardinals, who are currently ranked 5th best defense in the NFL.

Bottom line- How many other Left Tackles have faced the monsters that Greg Robinson has in 2015? Not many! And if there is one or two, how many of those Left Tackles are 22 years old, with only a year of Pass Pro in their rear view mirror? One.

I'm not worried about Greg Robinson.

Profootball Focus does not take into count level of competition.
Greg Robinson could be graded on blocking our own Robert Quinn or Sisters of Mercy DE Percy Poindexter.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Besides the outstanding observations Boston Ram, Memento, Merlin and Dr. Ram have contributed, let's look facts about ex- Auburn LT Greg Robinson...

2. Robinson is playing Left Tackle across from the best pass rushers the NFL has to offer up. Let's look at the monsters Robinson has faced this year.

Game 1- Seahawks- All Pro Cliff Avril has 52.5 career sacks and 22 forced fumbles.

Game 2 -Washington 3-4 DT Jason Hatcher who led all DT's in 2013 with 11 sacks. ( Since then our own Aaron Donaldson has arrived!)

Game 3- Steelers young and upcoming , Stephon Tuitt... Current sack leader on the Steelers with 3.5 sacks. If Tuitt keeps it up he will be an AFC all pro in 2015.

Game 4- All Pro Calais Campbell has career 43.5 sacks and is a one wrecking crew. Next to CB Patrick Peterson I believe Campbell to be the next best defensive player on the Cardinals, who are currently ranked 5th best defense in the NFL.

Bottom line- How many other Left Tackles have faced the monsters that Greg Robinson has in 2015? Not many! And if there is one or two, how many of those Left Tackles are 22 years old, with only a year of Pass Pro in their rear view mirror? One.

Greg Robinson could be graded on blocking our own Robert Quinn or Sisters of Mercy DE Percy Poindexter.

Great points!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I'm not worried either. He's already serviceable, and he's every bit the work in progress.

The light is on. It's going to get brighter.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Through 4 games, he's had 2 false starts, 2 holding penalties, and 1 - 1/2 sacks. Against who he's faced, I'd say he's getting the job done. He also has 2 tackles.
debbie-the-downer.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Through 4 games, he's had 2 false starts, 2 holding penalties, and 1 - 1/2 sacks. Against who he's faced, I'd say he's getting the job done. He also has 2 tackles.

debbie-the-downer.gif

Agree... Take those stats x4 the numbers are not bad for a LT. And... He's faced some top notch players so far.

Talk to me about GRob after the season.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a lot of OL stats are heavily influenced by QB pocket awareness. The Iggles'ses OL, for example, is dropping down the charts, mainly because of the Statue of Liberty they have as a QB. (but partly also because they shipped out their 2 best OG's.) Foles' pocket awareness will mask a lot of our OL's shortcomings, but regardless, I do see many signs pointing upwards for our young OL. Considering that we have a new C, new scheme, rookie RT, rookie LG, and an LT with really 1 offseason under his belt at the all-important LT position, I think they're doing great & just need a couple more games to turn into studs.

edit: FYI, the number in parenthesis is the ranking from the full 2014 season. After 4 games, our young OL is already better than last years (25th vs 31st).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wanted Jake Matthews over Greg Robinson, but that's the past. Hopefully Greg gets going, he's much more talented. He was just very raw compared to Matthews.

Person is a surprise. He never really impressed me that much, although you could tell he was versatile. Glad to see he's doing well though. Levitre is having a resurgence there as well. He was really really bad for the Titans but good for the Bills.

Mike Person making magic @ center did not elude everyone here @ ROD. Posted this last yr on Person makings of a good center.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/offensive-line.33780/page-2#post-478142

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
It is a young OL, so I don't care where they start in the rankings, just where they end up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't understand letting Person go if the Rams planned to switch to more zone blocking and they were uncertain who their center was going to be.

I also don't understand using the zone blocking with the big boys we have on the Oline. But, I guess if they can make it work then go with it.

Personally, I liked plays last year when Saffold would pull. I think even GRob pulled a few times.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Honestly, I expected Robinson to be a little better than he is now. He's in his second year and I really don't see much improvement over year one. Gawd, I hope it isn't another Jason Smith experience. He's got more time. And the fact that he was a number two overall gives him more leash to work with.