Peter King: Rams fans might surprise the league

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/23/nfl-training-camp-tour-jacksonville-jaguars-peter-king-mailbag

Training Camp Conclusions
By Peter King

• FANS WHO MIGHT SURPRISE THE LEAGUE: Rams fans. As one Los Angeles vet told me after last Saturday’s win over the Chiefs, “We might have the kind of home field advantage the Seahawks have.” Too early to tell if the honeymoon will last, but a crowd helps a team’s defense the most, because the opposing offense has to struggle to hear itself over the din of the crowd. And Seattle will be in L.A. first, in Week 2, so we’ll see if preseason madness will carry over. But those were some crazy fans I saw Saturday night at the Coliseum.

View: https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/767213066836582400

View: https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/767166143345733632

tempests

Hall of Fame
Rams led the NFL in attendance like 14 times in LA.

It's only surprising to those with no concept of history or stubbornly clinging to memories of 1994.

Psycho_X

Legend
Rams had one of the best home field advantages in the NFL before the Seahawks ever had one from 95-mid 2000s until lame duck owners sold to an absentee owner along with worst stretch of losing football in the history of the NFL happened. But the PR police are in full force for the Rams now.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
We will be loud, I ain't worried about that. I want to get these fans trained to shut the hell up when the offense is on the field. I'm seeing morons trying to start "Let's Go Rams!" chants when the O is at the line of scrimmage!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If anyone wants proof LA will support the Rams, go online and try to buy tickets to any of the home games. Only tix available are nose-bleeds and end zone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No question this is going to be a honeymoon year for attendance. How could it not be?

Losing will make any city fickle and attendance suffer. LA will be no different in a year or two.

So the Rams need to win, just like most every other team, to keep the attendance strong. Pretty simple.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams led the NFL in attendance like 14 times in LA.

It's only surprising to those with no concept of history or stubbornly clinging to memories of 1994.
" And 171,000 Fans attending the first two Pre-Season Games proves it!!(y):yay::yess::mrburnsevil:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/23/nfl-training-camp-tour-jacksonville-jaguars-peter-king-mailbag

Training Camp Conclusions
By Peter King

• FANS WHO MIGHT SURPRISE THE LEAGUE: Rams fans. As one Los Angeles vet told me after last Saturday’s win over the Chiefs, “We might have the kind of home field advantage the Seahawks have.” Too early to tell if the honeymoon will last, but a crowd helps a team’s defense the most, because the opposing offense has to struggle to hear itself over the din of the crowd. And Seattle will be in L.A. first, in Week 2, so we’ll see if preseason madness will carry over. But those were some crazy fans I saw Saturday night at the Coliseum.

View: https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/767213066836582400

View: https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/767166143345733632

:redcard:I COULDN'T GET EITHER OF THESE TWO DARN LINY!!:seizure: Anyone else have the same problem!?!:palm:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We will be loud, I ain't worried about that. I want to get these fans trained to shut the hell up when the offense is on the field. I'm seeing morons trying to start "Let's Go Rams!" chants when the O is at the line of scrimmage!
Very True! But I did like it when they started doing a "WAVE" in the stands!!:D

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I was there on Saturday, August 20th at the Coliseum against the KC Chiefs and in the visitor's section by the way. The LA Coliseum was ROCKING!!!!

Rams fans in the Chiefs' side were loud and proud. During the 4th quarter when the Chief's were threatening for 1st down and the Rams Defense came up big with the fumble recovery, you would have thought the Rams won the Superbowl. It was loud and racous. The noise was deafening. Chiefs fans were stunned silent. Los Angeles Rams fans were screaming at the top of their lungs with that defensive stop.

The place was doing the wave five or six times around the stadium. And this is only a pre-season game.

Can't wait for the Rams home opener against the Seahawks on September 18th.

tHE Rams know the expectations from LA Rams fans to win and you can sense that the coaching staff will not allow the team to go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or even 10-6 for 2016 campaign. Rams must win big THIS YEAR even during pre-season games.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I file this under the 'no shit' folder. Team comes back to it's market after 22 years, and people are surprised that there is excitement? The dome was rocking in STL at one time too, ya'all.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
No question this is going to be a honeymoon year for attendance. How could it not be?

Losing will make any city fickle and attendance suffer. LA will be no different in a year or two.

So the Rams need to win, just like most every other team, to keep the attendance strong. Pretty simple.

And the voice of reason appears yet again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll predict it right now: there's gonna be a beatdown of a Shehawks fan in game one. Hopefully followed by a beat down of the Shehawks to re-christen the Coliseum.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As an outsider (not from LA or STL) from Cleveland I will tell you this. Just like @CGI_Ram said it's winning.

Browns fans are the most loyal imaginable, right there with Packers fans, and they have stayed away to a degree because of the losing. Fans stayed away in STL after awhile too. Look at the 49ers recently. The stands are 1/3 empty but a couple of years ago you couldn't get tickets.

Win and fans show up. Lose and they don't show up as much. True in every sport, in every league, in every country on the planet.

We all like winning, we all hate losing. Pretty easy to understand that.

If @CGI_Ram has it figured out c'mon guys it can't be that hard. :sneak:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll predict it right now: there's gonna be a beatdown of a Shehawks fan in game one. Hopefully followed by a beat down of the Shehawks to re-christen the Coliseum.

That's a disturbing thought. There is a thread on the Herd discussing this,and to a degree society in general, and the behavior at games is atrocious.

People too often cannot act with any level of civility at events and it's terrible. There were fights at both of the Rams games. I'm afraid we may see some of the Raider elements but I hope I am wrong.

Psycho_X

Legend
As an outsider (not from LA or STL) from Cleveland I will tell you this. Just like @CGI_Ram said it's winning.

Browns fans are the most loyal imaginable, right there with Packers fans, and they have stayed away to a degree because of the losing. Fans stayed away in STL after awhile too. Look at the 49ers recently. The stands are 1/3 empty but a couple of years ago you couldn't get tickets.

Win and fans show up. Lose and they don't show up as much. True in every sport, in every league, in every country on the planet.

We all like winning, we all hate losing. Pretty easy to understand that.

If @CGI_Ram has it figured out c'mon guys it can't be that hard. :sneak:

And I think this'll become a greater problem for the league as time goes on. Well, I say problem loosely by all the money they rake in on tv contracts BUT as the product becomes more diversified across all media platforms and technology quality continues to increase it's all but logical that it's going to be much harder to fill stadiums for any sport especially the NFL which charges outrageous prices already for tickets and food. When a team is winning it's much easier for the average family of four to justify dropping $500 for one game. If your team has a combined record of 15-65 over 5 years.... why would the average fan want to pay that? Winning makes it seem worth the price.... you want to be a part of something... you want to watch history... well history that doesn't suck. If your team is losing better to save $500 and just watch it on the 65 inch tv in HD. Hell you can buy a 65 inch with the money you'd save now.

It's only going to become worse league wide I think. Especially as the younger generations take over.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's a disturbing thought. There is a thread on the Herd discussing this,and to a degree society in general, and the behavior at games is atrocious.

People too often cannot act with any level of civility at events and it's terrible. There were fights at both of the Rams games. I'm afraid we may see some of the Raider elements but I hope I am wrong.

With cheaper seats, you'll unfortunately see the assholes who want to cause trouble. When the team moves to Inglewood most of those people will likely be priced out, thankfully. I'll never understand why people feel the need to be a jerk at a sporting event. Hell, my girlfriend got beer poured on her at a Blues game when she was only 17 for wearing a Kings hat, who does that? Let people enjoy the game, if youre a home fan, let visiting fans enjoy, and if you're a visiting fan cheer for your team respectfully.