Peter King: Bills Training Camp Report - Watkins Wows

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Maybe it will be? *Shrugs*

The top 10 pick and 3rd rounder just finished their rookie seasons and the 2nd and 4th only finished their sophomore years. If the extent of judging a WR's career was his first two years in the league, well...there would be a lot of successful WRs that would have never made it...

True but it's not like there weren't other moves that could have been made at at least two of the spots we drafted a WR where we're discussing whether our group is the best in the NFL rather than wishfully thinking over a player who hasn't played a down yet.

If we get the same results from our group this season as last season then Snead has failed.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Buffalo have 2 of the receivers I wanted in the last 2 years - Woods was my favourite WR in last year's draft while Watkins was the leader of the pack this year - I would have loved to see Sam throw to those 2 guys....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
OK Alan, we get it. Robinson sucks and will need to be completely retaught the position, while Watkins is an instant HOFer. We'll just have to wait and see. If our WRs play to their ability, and I think they will, we will be just fine. Oh, and for all you "#1 WR" guys, that STILL doesn't mean any of them will put up 1000 yds. THIS offense just doesn't need that out of any one player and isn't designed for it. The fact that we drafted another RB as high as we did should be a clear indicator of what this team is going to do on O. Maybe it won't be as sexy as a Denver offense, but we saw how well that scheme worked against our division winner.

Memphis Ram

Legend
While I agree with Snead's comments and the draft bore those thoughts out, Watkins wasn't a WR who needed developing and thus didn't fall into the category of WRs he was talking about. So you're talking about apples and Fro considered Watkins and Evans to be oranges. I personally don't agree that Evens was an orange and thus I'm less sure we would have drafted him at #13 if Donald was there too. I think that would have been a close call but i'd have taken Donald. Maybe. :unsure: :LOL:

A rookie WR who doesn't needed developing in a league where proven veteran starters say it takes 2-3 years to hone their craft? And one were 57.43% of his receptions last year were screen plays? And 70.3% of his receptions were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Ive said it before and will say it again, we will all regret passing on Watkins. He will be one of the best wrs in the league for a long time. I said before the draft and still think they should have drafted Watkins and Martin. Donald was a pure luxury pick, the dline was already the strongest position on the team. Now I hope that this defense ends up being the best in the league and the rams win the super bowl but I sure wish Watkins was a ram.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
sammy-story.jpg

Bill Wippert/AP

The Sammy Show
It might be a smidge too early to hand him the rookie of the year hardware, but wide receiver Sammy Watkins is generating buzz with the Bills. Plus, a reader mailbag with questions about the NFL in L.A. and another team name change
By Peter King

PITTSFORD, N.Y. — Over coffee Monday morning, Buffalo general manager Doug Whaley told me a story about first-round receiver Sammy Watkins reporting, alone, for an offseason practice at the Bills training center at 6:45 a.m. “He wanted to get his footwork that he’d been taught right,’’ Whaley said. “He was out there, alone, before anyone else got there. This is one dedicated player.”

You always want to be careful about rookies in training camp, particularly when it’s not even August, and particularly when they’re playing without full pads and thus not in full contact. So I reminded myself Monday afternoon, midway through Watkins’ second NFL training-camp practice, that this all meant nothing.

But Watkins owned this practice.

He showed why Whaley surrendered first- and fourth-round picks in the 2015 draft to move up five spots in the first round last May so the Bills could pick him. Smart? We’ll see. The price was beyond exhorbitant, particularly for a team that still plans to key its offense around the running game. Watkins’ talent is tantalizing. And for a team languishing in sub-mediocrity for the past 14 seasons, his arrival’s been like a B-12 shot: energizing.

Four plays, all in a span of about five minutes. I’ll tell you about four plays in an 11-on-11 scrimmageMonday afternoon, in Clemson-style summer heat and humidity here in central New York.

One: At the snap of the ball, the 6-1, 205-pound Watkins charged off the line at starting left corner Leodis McKelvin. He steamrolled McKelvin. Flattened him. As McKelvin fell, he dragged Watkins with him. Had this been a game, McKelvin would have been called for holding. Watkins was in the right, blasting McKelvin in the five-yard bump zone. And McKelvin did all he could, holding on for dear life and taking Watkins down with him.

Two: On the next snap, Watkins charged off the line and McKelvin gave him his space, and Watkins pivoted left, alone across the middle. McKelvin was six yards behind Watkins when E.J. Manuel found him, wide open, running free on a crossing route.

sammy-inside.jpg

Watkins rose above everyone else in the first two days of Bills practice. (Bill Wippert/AP)

Three:
Jittering off the line, Watkins got free of the corner (I didn’t see who it was) and Manuel lofted a perfect ball 35 yards down the right sideline into Watkins’ hands.

Four: In traffic over the middle, four players jumped for a high ball. Watkins, a good three feet off the ground, came down with it.

Watkins got poked in the eye late in practice and was down for a few moments. Good for the Bills he got up and seemed fine.

I don’t know if Manuel and Watkins are going to be able to keep up the playmaking pace. Manuel has to have faith in Watkins and second-year receiver Robert Woods to make plays down the field, even when they’re covered. We’ll see if he can do it. But on a broiling July Monday, Watkins was the goods. He has surprising power for a player his size, and he’s not afraid to use it, and he’s not intimidated by good veteran corners. I left here liking what I saw out of a player the Bills need desperately to catch the Patriots.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
^that makes me sick, Watkins is the playmaker the rams have been missing since Holt left.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True but it's not like there weren't other moves that could have been made at at least two of the spots we drafted a WR where we're discussing whether our group is the best in the NFL rather than wishfully thinking over a player who hasn't played a down yet.

If we get the same results from our group this season as last season then Snead has failed.

And these WRs were? Obviously, Alshon Jeffery and...?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

If we get the same it will be because Sam got hurt again and Snead FAILED? to predict it and should have picked a QB?

I can't imagine people keep harping on the wr production when over half the season was catching the ball from a guy WE elected to decline to sign.
Cherry picking to assign blame I calls it.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Ive said it before and will say it again, we will all regret passing on Watkins. He will be one of the best wrs in the league for a long time. I said before the draft and still think they should have drafted Watkins and Martin. Donald was a pure luxury pick, the dline was already the strongest position on the team. Now I hope that this defense ends up being the best in the league and the rams win the super bowl but I sure wish Watkins was a ram.
I can't be the only one that was ecstatic over the Donald pick. I doubt that they would have selected Odell Beckham if the Giants had selected Donald. They probably would have doubled up on O-Line and select Martin.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Now that he is a Ram im excited about Donald but he was still a luxury pick.

jjab360

Legend
^that makes me sick, Watkins is the playmaker the rams have been missing since Holt left.
LOL if Training Camp hype meant anything, Brian Quick would be well on his way to the HOF by now. Name one thing or physical attribute that Watkins does better than any other receiver we have on our roster right now. ONE THING.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Watkins is physically better than all of the rams recievers, he has crazy quickness and speed to go with being physical and smart. He has better hands and will be a great route runner. The only thing he lacks is elite size but he is still big enough to dominate.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Now that he is a Ram im excited about Donald but he was still a luxury pick.
Agree, but two things:

1 - it wasn't Donald vs. Watkins, it was Donald vs. Martin or Fuller or Shaizer or Mosley or Dennard or Pryor. I might have taken Dennard, but Donald will be a monster part of the best part of our team for years to come, and we filled the CB need nicely in the 2nd
2 - Watkins would have cost us Robinson, and I love the Robinson pick. He'll fill a huge need in 2014 and going forward should be this era's answer to Orlando Pace, who I believe was the 2nd-biggest part of the GSOT behind Faulk.

I'm sorry I stated earlier that I would have taken Watkins over Donald. I would have, but that was never an option unless we were willing to mortgage next year's draft to move up from 13.

I'll enjoy watching Bills games - they're on a lot up here in New England - and I agree with @shaunpinney that Watkins and Woods will be a fun tandem to watch.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
It comes down to Robinson and Donald or Watkins and Martin, personally I would have done the second option.

Athos

Legend
Not surprising. I wanted him badly and then get our O guy in Martin.

He'll have a very, very good career imo, provided they don't have to start over from Manuel, who I don't think is all that good. We'll see though.

At any rate, Robinson appears to be a beast, and Donald will have both Kaperprick and the smurf on the turf at least five times a game.

jjab360

Legend
Watkins is physically better than all of the rams recievers, he has crazy quickness and speed to go with being physical and smart. He has better hands and will be a great route runner. The only thing he lacks is elite size but he is still big enough to dominate.
Tavon is quicker and faster, Givens is faster as well, Britt is more physical, intelligence is intangible but Watkins isn't known for being the brightest bulb in the box, Bailey has better hands and is a better route runner. Is there anything else about Watkins that you want to overrate, or is that about it?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Except he has all of those pieces in one player. He is almost as fast as Austin but much larger and more physical, he is faster and quicker than Britt, he is bigger and faster than Bailey, and he is very football smart he knows how to set up corners. He is the best total package in years. There is a reason why he was drafted earlier than where any of the Rams receivers were drafted.

Athos

Legend
Tavon is quicker and faster, Givens is faster as well, Britt is more physical, intelligence is intangible but Watkins isn't known for being the brightest bulb in the box, Bailey has better hands and is a better route runner. Is there anything else about Watkins that you want to overrate, or is that about it?

No need to be condescending to the point you don't accurately describe the player being discussed. Don't believe everything from the combine. Watkins has a level of explosive acceleration that makes him faster than Givens. He's not Tavon quick, but he has fantastic first step moves with physicality like D. Thomas. Not saying he's D. Thomas, but he plays the same way. Bailey has the better routes by far. Bailey has the best routes on the team period. As for hands...Watkins has elite hands.