Per NBC Sports, Sam Not On First Cut List

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Michael Sam became the reality show of the NFL Draft weekend, as the nation waited to see if someone would draft an openly gay player.

It appears draft weekend could turn out the same way.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Rams have cut 17 players today, but none of them were Sam.

Among the cuts were defensive linemen Kourtnei Brown and Deantre Harlan, along with sixth-round quarterback Garrett Gilbert and seventh-round tackleMitchell Van Dyk.

That would move them to 58, with five cuts to go to the limit.

And the world will be watching to see if Sam makes history.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...17-players-but-none-of-them-were-michael-sam/

jjab360

Legend
Not surprised on Van Dyke, I am on Gilbert. He's an uber raw QB with all the tools. I assume they have somebody in mind...
If I remember correctly we've headed into the last 2 seasons with just 2 QBs, haven't we? Of course we had Bradford then, but if we have as much faith in Hill as we say we do, I don't see how that would change anything.

Ultimately the chances of anyone grabbing Gilbert with as raw as he looked this preseason is slim to none, which makes him pretty easy to cut if you feel like you can bring him back at any time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sixth-round quarterback Garrett Gilbert and seventh-round tackleMitchell Van Dyk.

Shocked, but not shocked at Gilbert. Cutting their own draft picks as rookies was the beginning of the end for the last regime. That and losing 14 games.

Gilbert, Van Dyk, Bryant, and Rhaney were always meant to be developmental prospects. Bryant and Rhaney would have probably been cut, but we managed to put them on IR. I believe that Gilbert and Van Dyk will be added to the practice squad.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sixth-round quarterback Garrett Gilbert and seventh-round tackleMitchell Van Dyk.

Shocked, but not shocked at Gilbert. Cutting their own draft picks as rookies was the beginning of the end for the last regime. That and losing 14 games.
The difference in that regime is they were drafting players who couldn't make the worst roster in the NFL. This regime has gotten to the point, that their late round picks are long shots from day one.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The difference in that regime is they were drafting players who couldn't make the worst roster in the NFL. This regime has gotten to the point, that their late round picks are long shots from day one.

I appreciate this moment in Rams history

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If I remember correctly we've headed into the last 2 seasons with just 2 QBs, haven't we? Of course we had Bradford then, but if we have as much faith in Hill as we say we do, I don't see how that would change anything.

Ultimately the chances of anyone grabbing Gilbert with as raw as he looked this preseason is slim to none, which makes him pretty easy to cut if you feel like you can bring him back at any time.

Great observation, man. It didn't dawn on me we could let him develope on the PS, where he needs to be. And yes, we did go into last year with two QB's. Somewhat concerning one was already cut by us, but Davis has gotten better. If he continues to improve like he already has, next year, he'll be a really good player for us.

Thanks, man, made me feel better. :)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Isn't cutting a player the first step to the PS?

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy wanting a chronology:
Isn't cutting a player the first step to the PS?
No, it's the first step to the waiver wire. The second step is the PS.

jjab360

Legend
No, it's the first step to the waiver wire. The second step is the PS.
I hate to be "that guy", but if cutting a player is the first step to the waiver wire, and the waiver wire is the step before the PS, then technically cutting a player is still the first step to the PS. ;)

Alan

Legend
jjab360 worried about taking my job:
I hate to be "that guy", but if cutting a player is the first step to the waiver wire, and the waiver wire is the step before the PS, then technically cutting a player is still the first step to the PS. ;)
Good one but there has to be a separation somewhere, otherwise birth isn't the first step to death but just part of the circle of rebirth that the reincarnation crowd believes in.

upload_2014-8-29_20-27-25.jpeg
:LOL: