Per JT on twitter...Langford cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OK not happy about this, I am worried. Brockers as pointed out above has not always been healthy or UN-gippy...who do the Rams have that can play the Brockers post so Donald can best be used as the LOS disruptor? Do I hear crickets????? Scary!
I liked Langford too, but I feel fairly confident that his performance can be easily replaced with another journeyman or even a draft pick. Carrington wasn't great, but he also wasn't a liability - kinda like Langford. Both were just kind of okay in run support and rushing the passer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they're looking to upgrade the backup DT position in order to put out an even more potent rotation.

Is there someone here?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-tackle/

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I liked Langford too, but I feel fairly confident that his performance can be easily replaced with another journeyman or even a draft pick. Carrington wasn't great, but he also wasn't a liability - kinda like Langford. Both were just kind of okay in run support and rushing the passer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they're looking to upgrade the backup DT position in order to put out an even more potent rotation.

Is there someone here?

Huh? Carrington literally did NOTHING last year. He played in 8 games and had 1 tackle.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Is there someone here?
Sorry X but no way you find a journeyman that can replace Langford

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams are looking for a cheaper cost Cap cost UFA to back up Brockers & to provide insurance if Brockers bolts next season then I like Terrance Knighton who is more of a NT than DT .

Brockers may prefer to not sacrifice himself so much here for the sake of the likes of Donald & Quinn sack totals. I am sure he would prefer to not take on some many blockers inside. If the Rams want Brockers here in 2016 & beyond then I am sure he will demand a pay real close to that of Quinn.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I didn't think about this before but maybe Langford wants to start and that's not happening here, so redoing his contract was not a option.

jap

Legend
I liked him too. What an embarrassment of riches we have, that we'd even consider releasing him... to think, not too long ago, we were pining for DT's, reminiscing to the good ol' days of Jimmy Kennedy, etc.

Whacha talking 'bout, Willis!?! There were never any good ole days with Kennedy!!! :huh:

jap

Legend
They should've tried to trade him and get something for him,I can see a team giving us a 4th or 5th for him.Especially a team who's front four is lacking that inside rush.

They very well may have tried to trade him. Most NFL teams are savvy enough to sit back and wait for likely player cuts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Huh? Carrington literally did NOTHING last year. He played in 8 games and had 1 tackle.
Well, he had 147 snaps, so he had to do something.

And after watching the season again, (stats aside) I didn't see an appreciable difference between he and Langford in terms of their presence in the middle.
Just my opinion.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Well, he had 147 snaps, so he had to do something.

And after watching the season again, (stats aside) I didn't see an appreciable difference between he and Langford in terms of their presence in the middle.
Just my opinion.

It says something about your productivity when coach makes you inactive that many weeks. Langford has his ups and downs, but I don't remember any ups for Carrington as evidenced by his 1 tackle, no sacks, no stuffs, and no passes defensed...... in 147 snaps

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It says something about your productivity when coach makes you inactive that many weeks. Langford has his ups and downs, but I don't remember any ups for Carrington as evidenced by his 1 tackle, no sacks, no stuffs, and no passes defensed...... in 147 snaps
Well, you have to remember that Carrington (a former 3-4 DE) was 4th on the depth chart behind the veteran Langford. He wasn't going to get that much playing time anyway. And this isn't so much about Carrington (who I didn't recommend as a replacement) in as much as it's about replacing the 17 tackles, 1 sack, 0 PDs and 2 stuffs that Langford provided. I watched them both play, and I didn't see Langford as being vastly superior to Carrington in any way. But again, enough about Carrington. There are other options out there in free agency who can fill the void. Do you disagree with that?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Jared Odrick, for example, would be an upgrade.
OK and how much will Jared cost as a free agent pick up? Not cheap I bet but over priced because you always over pay in free agency. I just pray are DT don't get hurt because as of now we haven't no good back ups.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OK and how much will Jared cost as a free agent pick up? Not cheap I bet but over priced because you always over pay in free agency. I just pray are DT don't get hurt because as of now we haven't no good back ups.
I'm not sure what he'll command (he averaged about $2.6M per year), but we freed up $6M, so there's some latitude there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK not happy about this, I am worried. Brockers as pointed out above has not always been healthy or UN-gippy...who do the Rams have that can play the Brockers post so Donald can best be used as the LOS disruptor? Do I hear crickets????? Scary!

Free Agent DE/DT Alec Carrington...no longer a Ram but Carrington has a dismal 2014 season, Alec does not need to be a Ram. Rams have Mason Brodine under contract. Mason was a DE all his college playing yrs then a Raider DE then a Ram DE then a Ram TE then moved inside when Brockers was hurt again. Mason is over 6-7 in a thinly built frame of about 285 pounds.

The only real possibility of any DL'er who could plug the NT post of Brockers is Doug Worthington. Collegiality, Worthington started 35 games at Ohio State, finishing with 103 career tackles, 12 tackles for loss and four sacks. He was named honorable mention All-Big Ten his senior season.

Worthington was originally a seventh-round pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2010 draft. He was let go during final roster cuts, spending some time on Pittsburgh's practice squad. After being let go by the Steelers, Worthington signed with Tampa Bay's practice squad in November 2010. The Buccaneers released Worthington in August of 2011, and he was claimed off of waivers by Washington Redskins.

At 6-foot-5 and 318 pounds, Worthington spent the last three years with the Washington Redskins, but was released by that team after the first preseason game. Worthington totaled three tackles in six games in 2012 for Washington. But he spent all of 2013 on the injured reserve list after suffering a torn biceps tendon during offseason workouts. Worthington was signed by the San Diego Chargers in 2014. Worthington was released by the Chargers in 2014. But Worthington has a history of being released by four teams.

This release is important! Brockers being a UFA this time next yr add in that Kendall was the main reserve DT last season for both interior DL posts. Rams must be looking into the future here due to this release, & the draft may contain some NT's that Snead & Fisher have fallen in love with.
I think @jrry32 has a guy he may be interested in. Not sure though but maybe he could include one in one of his mocks. :D

Gotta get those digs in when I can jrry. just messin with yuh.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams return both Donald and Michael Brockers as starters, but Thursday's release of Langford could leave the Rams searching for depth on the interior of the defensive line.
This^ is what I'm most concerned about! their are several players I expected to see go before Langford! ie. Joseph, Carrington, Wells, Jake Long. Just to name a few!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A little too much panic over a 3rd DT going on here me thinks.
This staff knows how to find talent on defense. We'll be fine.