Pass me some ketchup Austin Pettis for my crow sandwich!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
bskrilla with his opinion of Pettis:
Really? I'd argue that Pettis may be the only receiver on the Rams roster right now that makes that catch on 3rd down. Quick or Britt MAY make it, but they don't quite have the hands Pettis does. On that particular pass I don't think there's another Rams receiver I'd rather have it going to than Pettis. He has the height to elevate and the hands to pull it down in traffic.
Ram Quixote thinking Pettis is special:
Well, the pass was behind him. Granted, he has made catches like that before, but that's because of our expectations of Pettis. That he even got his hands on the ball, that he got a second shot at the catch is something only Pettis could do.
As I read both of these posts my first thought is that we're talking about a future HOF WR. :LOL: You guys talk like he isn't at or close to the bottom of the WR pecking order for good reasons. It's good that you're concentrating on his good points and not dwelling on his not so good points but for the purposes of this conversation, that's not the proper way to look at him or what he brings to the table for the Rams IMO.

This is his 4th year and he's still no better than our 5th or 6th best WR. Does he have some good qualities that he brings to the table? Sure. Can you make the argument that he does some things better than our other WRs? Maybe.

Can he get open reliably? No. Does one reception change the equation that is Pettis? No. Was he able to work his way up the pecking order during TC or the preseason? No. Does he have a skill set that can't be replaced by someone in next years draft or FA? No. Do I like what he can do but wish mightily that he could do more? Yes.

Should we cut him when Bailey comes back? I'm not sure but Givens also has a skill set that no one else on the Rams has and which is more valuable? Again, I don't know. What I do know/believe, is that had I made a poll BEFORE the Bucs game concerning who should get cut when Bailey comes back , at least half of our posters would have picked Pettis as the guy to cut.

Bottom line for me is don't go overboard when a player does well in a game or does badly in a game. Instead, you need to look at the totality of what the player has shown on the field. It's nice to be positive about all our players but don't be this guy:
upload_2014-9-15_15-20-16.jpeg
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As I read both of these posts my first thought is that we're talking about a future HOF WR. :LOL: You guys talk like he isn't at or close to the bottom of the WR pecking order for good reasons. It's good that you're concentrating on his good points and not dwelling on his not so good points but for the purposes of this conversation, that's not the proper way to look at him or what he brings to the table for the Rams IMO.

This is his 4th year and he's still no better than our 5th or 6th best WR. Does he have some good qualities that he brings to the table? Sure. Can you make the argument that he does some things better than our other WRs? Maybe.

Can he get open reliably? No. Does one reception change the equation that is Pettis? No. Was he able to work his way up the pecking order during TC or the preseason? No. Does he have a skill set that can't be replaced by someone in next years draft or FA? No. Do I like what he can do but wish mightily that he could do more? Yes.

Should we cut him when Bailey comes back? I'm not sure but Givens also has a skill set that no one else on the Rams has and which is more valuable? Again, I don't know. What I do know/believe, is that had I made a poll BEFORE the Bucs game concerning who should get cut when Bailey comes back , at least half of our posters would have picked Pettis as the guy to cut.

Bottom line for me is don't go overboard when a player does well in a game or does badly in a game. Instead, you need to look at the totality of what the player has shown on the field. It's nice to be positive about all our players but don't be this guy:
View attachment 3159:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I don't think that's what's being said at all. Some of us appreciate a situational depth receiver that can come through in the clutch.

Pettis made more clutch catches for us than any other receiver on the team.

I imagine you thought Ricky Proehl had no place on the '99 Rams based on the above post.

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
Pettis has the best hands of any receiver on the Rams. Bailey may have better hands, but he will have to prove it when he comes back.

bskrilla

Starter

View attachment 3159:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I completely agree that he's no more than 5th or 6th on the depth chart, but I think he has a certain skill-set that makes him a valuable depth receiver. It's a lot like Brandon Gibson, but with a more unique skill-set. Should the guy be on the field every down? God no. Is he a valuable piece to have in your offense? Definitely.

Alan

Legend
ZigZagRam preaching to the choir:
Some of us appreciate a situational depth receiver that can come through in the clutch.

Pettis made more clutch catches for us than any other receiver on the team.

I imagine you thought Ricky Proehl had no place on the '99 Rams based on the above post.
As do I.

I disagree with your memory. ;)

I liked Proehl and I like Pettis. I also wanted to upgrade both of them.

I don't know whose posts you're reading and responding to but they aren't mine. I also like Givens. I think you should re-read my posts and listen to what I said and not what you think I said.

Let me help you with your reading ZigZag.

"Does he have some good qualities that he brings to the table? Sure. Can you make the argument that he does some things better than our other WRs? Maybe."

"Do I like what he can do but wish mightily that he could do more? Yes."

You're welcome. :LOL:

Alan

Legend
bskrilla with his head in the air and not in the sand:
I completely agree that he's no more than 5th or 6th on the depth chart, but I think he has a certain skill-set that makes him a valuable depth receiver. Should the guy be on the field every down? God no. Is he a valuable piece to have in your offense? Definitely.
After subtracting what you said about Gibson (who I never liked), I agree completely. (y) :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pettis also dropped a pass. He played the same game showing the same skills as he always does. I see nothing in his game that can't be replaced. Even if Givens is cut first, Pettis is next on the list.

No reason to replace him. The guy is our #5 WR. I can't think of (m)any #5 WRs that are better than Pettis right now. He's a good role player. Good guy to have.

bskrilla

Starter
As do I.

I don't know whose posts you're reading and responding to but they aren't mine. I also like Givens. I think you should re-read my posts and listen to what I said and not what you think I said.

"Does he have some good qualities that he brings to the table? Sure. Can you make the argument that he does some things better than our other WRs? Maybe."

I think we're disagreeing because your initial post said you saw nothing in his game that can't be replaced. That made it sound like you thought he was easily replaceable which I think we're both arguing he's not. Sure he could be replaced but it would take a pretty high draft pick or a moderately priced FA signing. You can only have so many of those guys on your team and we have 4 in Quick, Britt, Tavon and Studman. Who, exactly, do you replace him with?

bskrilla

Starter
No reason to replace him. The guy is our #5 WR. I can't think of (m)any #5 WRs that are better than Pettis right now. He's a good role player. Good guy to have.

This is what I was trying to say only shorter.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 forgetting the qualifiers:
I'm pretty sure you didn't really mean to word your statement that way. You probably meant that there is no reason to spend scarce resources on replacing Pettis when we have so many other bigger needs. I agree with that thought. That's why I said, prior to the draft, that I didn't want to draft a WR.

On the other hand, if you did actually mean to word it as you did then I disagree. You always want to upgrade any player who isn't the best at any position.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As do I.

I'm going pass on crafting my own over-dramatic reply.

Every team in the league has certain role-players that aren't start-worthy to use in specific situations. Pettis can effectively play an important role as a clutch pass catcher on plays such as the one we saw yesterday, and in the red zone, on a winning football team.

No team goes 5-deep with start-worthy pass catchers. Pettis, just like Proehl, has a place on a team even as good as the '99 Rams were offensively.

Alan

Legend
bskrilla reading something different than what I meant:
I think we're disagreeing because your initial post said you saw nothing in his game that can't be replaced. That made it sound like you thought he was easily replaceable which I think we're both arguing he's not. Sure he could be replaced but it would take a pretty high draft pick or a moderately priced FA signing. You can only have so many of those guys on your team and we have 4 in Quick, Britt, Tavon and Stedman. Who, exactly, do you replace him with?
Yeah, I misread frequently myself. I probably wasn't as detailed as I could have been. My problem is that you're new here and my statement was a continuation of things I've said earlier which puts it into the correct context. Sorry about that.

As for who would I replace him with, that's the wrong question or at least it isn't framed correctly. I'd replace him with Bailey if the Rams think Givens is better. I'd replace him with a S or a CB (or a player at another position) if the Rams brain trust felt they'd rather keep an extra player at a different position instead of keeping the extra WR. Like all non starters, they're subject to the overall needs of the team even though every player brings something to the table.

Alan

Legend
ZigZagRam not wanting to be a drama queen:
Every team in the league has certain role-players that aren't start-worthy to use in specific situations. Pettis can effectively play an important role as a clutch pass catcher on plays such as the one we saw yesterday, and in the red zone, on a winning football team.

No team goes 5-deep with start-worthy pass catchers. Pettis, just like Proehl, has a place on a team even as good as the '99 Rams were offensively.
Nothing wrong with a little passion ZigZag, especially when it comes to liking palyers on our team. (y) I agree with everything else you said in the post I just quoted.

My initial post was in response to the gushing accolades being thrown around about him because he made one important catch.

Last edited:

bskrilla

Starter
Yeah, I misread frequently myself. I probably wasn't as detailed as I could have been. My problem is that you're new here and my statement was a continuation of things I've said earlier which puts it into the correct context. Sorry about that.

As for who would I replace him with, that's the wrong question or at least it isn't framed correctly. I'd replace him with Bailey if the Rams think Givens is better. I'd replace him with a S or a CB (or a player at another position) if the Rams brain trust felt they'd rather keep an extra player at a different position instead of keeping the extra WR. Like all non starters, they're subject to the overall needs of the team even though every player brings something to the table.

I genuinely hate agreeing to disagree, but it appears we may have to on this subject.

And I'm actually not new here. Unless our stats are lying. I joined a couple months before you did. I just don't post a ton.

Alan

Legend
bskrilla pointing out that he's an oldie but goodie:
I genuinely hate agreeing to disagree, but it appears we may have to on this subject.

And I'm actually not new here. Unless our stats are lying. I joined a couple months before you did. I just don't post a ton.
So what is it that we disagree about? I totally agreed with your last post and pointed out that the misunderstanding was probably my fault.

We both like Pettis, we both think he's a good 5th/6th WR and we both think I'm much better looking than you. Where do we disagree?

bskrilla

Starter
So what is it that we disagree about? I totally agreed with your last post and pointed out that the misunderstanding was probably my fault.

We both like Pettis, we both think he's a good 5th/6th WR and we both think I'm much better looking than you. Where do we disagree?

You're easily more handsome than I. Or at least more aware of it. ;)