OT Greg Robinson Scouting Report - Dave Te Thomas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

You're generalizing and using it to marginalize the opinion of everyone that disagrees with you. It's a way to argue without actually arguing someone's points. You're basically taking something that other people did and crediting the person you're arguing with doing it...based on zero evidence.

Nope - couldn't be any more off base then you already are. Robinson was not the top OT pre-combine. and I could easily pull articles left and right people listing Jake Matthews as the #1 tackle prospect.

But if you're gonna act like Robinson didn't shoot up the board based on what he did in shorts then just agree to disagree - don't try marginalize my opinion just because you don't agree with it.

You look at him and think Duane Brown - that's great, I look at him and see Jason Smith.

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Nope - couldn't be any more off base then you already are. Robinson was not the top OT pre-combine. and I could easily pull articles left and right people listing Jake Matthews as the #1 tackle prospect.

But if you're gonna act like Robinson didn't shoot up the board based on what he did in shorts then just agree to disagree - don't try marginalize my opinion just because you don't agree with it.

You look at him and think Duane Brown - that's great, I look at him and see Jason Smith.

I specifically remember people saying that Robinson could be the #1 overall pick even leading up to and after the Nat Championship game. People have been high on Robinson for a while.

iced

I specifically remember people saying that Robinson could be the #1 overall pick even leading up to and after the Nat Championship game. People have been high on Robinson for a while.

I always heard and read Matthews was the consensus #1 OT, and the next 2 tackle spots were being interchanged between Robinson/Lewan pre-combine (talkin December/January timeframe). When Lewan's off the field stuff started coming more into the light, then he started dropping.

Irregardless, Jake has always been the top prospect - not robinson.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I always heard and read Matthews was the consensus #1 OT, and the next 2 tackle spots were being interchanged between Robinson/Lewan pre-combine (talkin December/January timeframe). When Lewan's off the field stuff started coming more into the light, then he started dropping.

Irregardless, Jake has always been the top prospect - not robinson.

He's been #3 overall in Daniel Jeremiahs top 50 since Feb 1st.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I respect the work Dave Te puts in and he knows his crap but he always goes overboard with player comparisons.

Word. As do a lot of these guys. Greg Robinson right now is more Marcus McNeill than Walter Jones. Or Jon Odgen.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have no time to put in on this kind of analysis and I don't get paid to do it but from what little I have seen I disagree with his statement about Robinson having good lateral movement in his kick slide. He was getting torched by speed guys, if someone puts him at LT in 2014 their QB is going to get smashed. He might make a great road grader OG or serviceable RT but I don't see how anyone thinks he is going to be a great LT. He might get there some day and he might not.

iced

I have no time to put in on this kind of analysis and I don't get paid to do it but from what little I have seen I disagree with his statement about Robinson having good lateral movement in his kick slide. He was getting torched by speed guys, if someone puts him at LT in 2014 their QB is going to get smashed. He might make a great road grader OG or serviceable RT but I don't see how anyone thinks he is going to be a great LT. He might get there some day and he might not.

that and he overextends and grabs a lot; allows guys to get underneath his pads in pass pro; probably will get a lot holding calls at the nfl level... I don't see him as a great LT either. Inside? Could be a great guard, even a good right tackle...but I would never put my quarterback's health in his pass pro - especially in this division

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Those were just 2 articles I found within 5 min of reading your post. I respect your opinion on Robinson though I don't agree with it. I do however disagree that Robinsons "hype" is purely based off his combine performance. While it helped, there was PLENTY of respect for Robinson pre combine. Plenty of respect from posters on here even including myself.

iced

Those were just 2 articles I found within 5 min of reading your post. I respect your opinion on Robinson though I don't agree with it

And here are some quick ones i found...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ds-deep-offensive-tackle-class-for-2014-draft

http://sportsagentblog.com/2013/12/19/2014-nfl-draft-top-5-at-every-position/ - Notice where Robinson is at in regards to tackles - 5b

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...men-could-make-it-another-banner-year-for-ots

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45441/325/nfl-draft-norris-top-32 (doesn't even make the top 32, Jake mathews is 5)

I do however disagree that Robinsons "hype" is purely based off his combine performance.

Never said that - I did say however it did have a great effect on his stock.

While it helped, there was PLENTY of respect for Robinson pre combine. Plenty of respect from posters on here even including myself.

Never said there wasn't - however I don't think he's the top tackle in this class and has serious question marks in pass pro.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's the best blocking prospect at tackle that I've ever seen, bar none. Auburn did him a disservice to how he was used in the passing game, but Auburn's offense was different. Robinson only solidified his potential, size, strength, and movement abilities at the combine. He was ranked by some as the top tackle before the combine, this is indisputable. Matthews was ranked higher earlier in the year, why? One of the reasons is because Robinson was a sophomore, and hadn't declared.

There is a reason that prospects move up during the process via the media. That reason is because all of these draftniks, are talking to scouts and GM's. That is where they are getting their info on how good a player he is, and how he is viewed by NFL personnel. Robinson coming out early makes them scramble and watch more tape on him. He's not a finished product, but who is coming out? He has the feet to be a OLT, he needs the work, and reps to be one, as well as the mindset to work hard, and be committed to being one of the best.

If Robinson played in a more conventional offense, or if he even played another year of his two years remaining eligibility, he'd probably be the #1 overall prospect bar none. How many people wanted Warmack last year(not me)? How many people thought he was the best OG to come out in over a decade? Warmack couldn't carry Robinson's jock strap.

I have nothing against Matthews, I think he is more pro ready at OLT, right now, and I think they are both top 5 prospects. Be thrilled to have either of them, but Robinson would be my pick if I stayed put.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
And here are some quick ones i found...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ds-deep-offensive-tackle-class-for-2014-draft

http://sportsagentblog.com/2013/12/19/2014-nfl-draft-top-5-at-every-position/ - Notice where Robinson is at in regards to tackles - 5b

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...men-could-make-it-another-banner-year-for-ots

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45441/325/nfl-draft-norris-top-32 (doesn't even make the top 32, Jake mathews is 5)

Never said that - I did say however it did have a great effect on his stock.

Never said there wasn't - however I don't think he's the top tackle in this class and has serious question marks in pass pro.

Great, I'm just showing you that he wasn't "hands down" the best prospect at tackle in everyones opinion before the combine.

iced

Great, I'm just showing you that he wasn't "hands down" the best prospect at tackle in everyones opinion before the combine.

didn't say "everyone" - said the general consensus. of course you're going have a few here or there that differ - you have one where he's the top ot, i have one where's not even in the top 32...

i meant the majority; or the general consensus

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matthews the consensus #1 OT in the 2014 draft? Perhaps according to draftnik media, but who knows what the feelings were via the 32 opinions that really matter. BTW, from what I understand the media is often late to the table on these rankings.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
didn't say "everyone" - said the general consensus. of course you're going have a few here or there that differ - you have one where he's the top ot, i have one where's not even in the top 32...

i meant the majority; or the general consensus

I would imagine the same people that had Matthews ranked above Robinson still have him ranked above Robinson. Then there are those that have/had them closer to an even "rank" based on upside, and NFL readiness. Things like the combine, talking to scouts, and watching more film between here and now can change that yes.

I personally really don't know if I'd like for the Rams to take him @2 overall. My dream is still picking him up in a trade down and plugging him in at guard giving us a formidable line capable of competing with (and running on) anyone in the league.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He's the best blocking prospect at tackle that I've ever seen, bar none. Auburn did him a disservice to how he was used in the passing game, but Auburn's offense was different. Robinson only solidified his potential, size, strength, and movement abilities at the combine. He was ranked by some as the top tackle before the combine, this is indisputable. Matthews was ranked higher earlier in the year, why? One of the reasons is because Robinson was a sophomore, and hadn't declared.

There is a reason that prospects move up during the process via the media. That reason is because all of these draftniks, are talking to scouts and GM's. That is where they are getting their info on how good a player he is, and how he is viewed by NFL personnel. Robinson coming out early makes them scramble and watch more tape on him. He's not a finished product, but who is coming out? He has the feet to be a OLT, he needs the work, and reps to be one, as well as the mindset to work hard, and be committed to being one of the best.

If Robinson played in a more conventional offense, or if he even played another year of his two years remaining eligibility, he'd probably be the #1 overall prospect bar none. How many people wanted Warmack last year(not me)? How many people thought he was the best OG to come out in over a decade? Warmack couldn't carry Robinson's jock strap.

I have nothing against Matthews, I think he is more pro ready at OLT, right now, and I think they are both top 5 prospects. Be thrilled to have either of them, but Robinson would be my pick if I stayed put.

+ 1 Doc.

iced

Matthews the consensus #1 OT in the 2014 draft? Perhaps according to draftnik media, but who knows what the feelings were via the 32 opinions that really matter. BTW, from what I understand the media is often late to the table on these rankings.
they had it right last year for receivers... I always think player rankings are much better in december/january (pre-combine) vs post combine

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2012/12/28/3813378/nfl-draft-2013-news
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2012/12/13/3762650/2013-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-rankings

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm off base? You just proved me right. Nobody cares if you can pull articles of OTHER people listing Jake Matthews as the #1 OT prospect. Unless you can prove that Thomas or whoever you are arguing against did it, you are attributing the opinion of others to them in order to marginalize their opinion of the prospect.

You just proved that.

That's the difference. I haven't marginalized your opinion. I haven't said I could pull articles left and right of people rating Robinson as an elite prospect and not Jason Smith...thus you're wrong. That's never been my contention. I have countered your criticism of people who support Robinson that they only support him because of the Combine. It's a bogus argument.