Old School Mock 3.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Now that things have settled down a bit with free agency and the men in charge went 5/6 on free agents (I guess 5/7 but Ware retired didn't sign elsewhere and really Groy signed here just the Bills had RFA rights).

As we sit right now we have $9.4 million when you set aside money for the rookie pool. We're about done with free agency but I'll make another move or two. These moves leave us with about $8 million in cap space.

C John Sullivan $4 Million/2 years.
Our stop gap center now. Former starter in Minnesota who was a backup last year for the Redskins comes in for what might be his last contract.

DT Ricardo Matthews $3 Million/2 Years
Journeyman DT who finds himself the odd man out in Pittsburgh's 3-4 behind Tuitt and Hargraves.

For the draft I think there is a very very real chance we trade down from our first spot unless somebody that they covet is there. For this mock I'm going to say one of those players is available.

Round 2 pick 5:

TE Evan Engram Ole Miss

evan-engram-dynasty-rookie-TE.jpg

A matchup nightmare to pair with Higbee. We've seen the numbers in the past and know McVay is going to run a lot of 2 TE sets.

Round 3 pick 5:

CB Jourdan Lewis Michigan

069af8f2302a049b6aa4f0b48584848f

Lewis' height and relatively slow running at the combine have him dropping into the 3rd for us. Has great ball skills and fluidity and should excel in Wades defense.

Round 4 pick 5:

DT Nazair Jones North Carolina

Nazair-Jones.jpg

We've had some success drafting DLine from North Carolina and dip into that well again. Strong defender especially from the waist down. With his size and strength he shows good speed and should slot in at NT early in his career.

Round 4 pick 35:

Josh Carraway Edge TCU

Clint+Trickett+Josh+Carraway+TCU+v+West+Virginia+Rbhom6g6G3Al.jpg

Stealing one from @PressureD41 here. Looked into him after his last mock and there's a lot to like here. Will benefit from not having to start right away but can come in and learn behind Barwin and Quinn.

Round 5 pick 5:

WR Josh Reynolds Texas A&M

Josh%20Reynolds

Doesn't have game changing speed at 4.5 but is a big WR at 6'3" who was constantly able to churn out big plays. Averaged 17 YPC and hauled in 12 TD this past season.

Round 6 pick 5:

CB Jeremy Clark Michigan.

cornerback-jeremy-clark-of-the-michigan-wolverines-gets-set-for-the-picture-id607558032

Dipping into that excellent Michigan secondary again. At 6'3" and 200lbs he ran an impressive 4.43 40 yard. Good size and man skills for Wade to utilize.

Round 6 pick 22:

C Chase Roullier Wyoming

Roullier-Chase-Wyoming-at-Air-Force-TB-01-1.jpg

He's been my guy for a long time now and no sense in changing that.

Round 7 pick 16:

ILB Ben Boulware Clemson

hi-res-2da9c122943863b9007d989ea30f1ac7_crop_north.jpg

Wade Phillips as we know is one of the best DC the league has ever seen. What most people don't realize is the man that runs the great 3-4 defenses does it at ILB with late round or UDFA picks on a regular basis. Here we bring in a guy who needs some work to be a starter but he's allowed that by sitting behind Ogletree and Barron. I thought about Hardy Nickerson Jr but with how much Jrry likes Boulware I decided to put him in instead.

UDFA I would target:

Ezra Robinson CB Tennessee St
Dymonte Thomas SS Michigan
Michael Hutchings OLB USC
Isaac Rochel DE Notre Dame

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Very well done. A few points I'd like to make on my opinion.

1. J.Lewis would be fantastic, but he's going through a domestic violence incident right now. Could fall further.

2. Not sure about waiting so long for a centre, but if you like Chase and believe he's the guy, then it works for me.

3. E.Engram would be absolutely fantastic. I honestly have a gut feeling he goes before Howard and both go in the first.

I'd be cool if your scenario played out to a T.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Roullier is going to be there in the late 6th. Also, how did we get the 6th? I like Roullier, though, but I think you have to go after him a round earlier.

I like the Reynolds and Lewis picks a lot. Both fit well as value picks and role players. Engram is an interesting choice. I don't think he's truly a TE in the NFL. I see him as more of a big slot WR.

Josh Reynolds might go earlier than the 5th as well due to his ability to get vertical.

I'd prefer a guy like Avery Moss to Josh Carraway. I liked Carraway more before the Combine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think Roullier is going to be there in the late 6th. Also, how did we get the 6th? I like Roullier, though, but I think you have to go after him a round earlier.

I like the Reynolds and Lewis picks a lot. Both fit well as value picks and role players. Engram is an interesting choice. I don't think he's truly a TE in the NFL. I see him as more of a big slot WR.

Josh Reynolds might go earlier than the 5th as well due to his ability to get vertical.

I'd prefer a guy like Avery Moss to Josh Carraway. I liked Carraway more before the Combine.
The 6th we got from the Hayes trade, gave up our 7th to move up a few spots into the 6th. I was looking at Roullier earlier and yeah we likely go after him sooner if we want him. Amazing when I first did a mock with him he was a 7th and some though he'd be a UDFA now he could be a 4th.

I think Engram's tweener status is why he's there in the 2nd though I could easily see us going another route there. If he's gone we look at WR or guy like Everett or Hodges then with the 5th rounder go with a guy like your boy Jonnu Smith or Kittle.

I looked at Moss and Joe Mathis there but chose Carraway in the end. He was very productive but I'd be happy with any of the three.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 6th we got from the Hayes trade, gave up our 7th to move up a few spots into the 6th. I was looking at Roullier earlier and yeah we likely go after him sooner if we want him. Amazing when I first did a mock with him he was a 7th and some though he'd be a UDFA now he could be a 4th.

I think Engram's tweener status is why he's there in the 2nd though I could easily see us going another route there. If he's gone we look at WR or guy like Everett or Hodges then with the 5th rounder go with a guy like your boy Jonnu Smith or Kittle.

I looked at Moss and Joe Mathis there but chose Carraway in the end. He was very productive but I'd be happy with any of the three.

Crap. I keep forgetting about that trade haha. Yea, Roullier is finally getting attention, especially after he had a quality Combine.

I'm just saying with Engram that he wouldn't be a TE for us. He'd be a slot WR. Not saying it's a bad pick or that he'll be gone.

Avery Moss is an easy choice for me if he's there. I liked Carraway when it seemed like he might have a lot of untapped athletic potential, but his Combine workout was very average. Moss, on the other hand, has a great combination of length and power. He's a really nice developmental guy imo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@OldSchool at his finest and I like many of the selections including the signing of John Sullivan, but I concur with @JackDRams I would draft a Center earlier I know Chase Roullier is your guy and you've been on him, but I like Jon Toth and would pop on him earlier, but then again I would have to put together a mock, but I would rather leave that to you and many of the others.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@OldSchool at his finest and I like many of the selections including the signing of John Sullivan, but I concur with @JackDRams I would draft a Center earlier I know Chase Roullier is your guy and you've been on him, but I like Jon Toth and would pop on him earlier, but then again I would have to put together a mock, but I would rather leave that to you and many of the others.
Thank you sir! I think you'd be happy with Roullier no matter what round he is taken in. And the only guy I'd draft over him is Toth but went in other directions in the 3rd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1. J.Lewis would be fantastic, but he's going through a domestic violence incident right now. Could fall further.

2. Not sure about waiting so long for a centre, but if you like Chase and believe he's the guy, then it works for me.

3. E.Engram would be absolutely fantastic. I honestly have a gut feeling he goes before Howard and both go in the first.

I've read about Lewis' situation and it seems shady to me, really looks like a false accusation.

We'd love Chase at center :D

Engram could it all depends like Jrry said on his tweener status. He's very small for a TE and could be more of a Boldin type WR than a TE in the NFL.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Now that things have settled down a bit with free agency and the men in charge went 5/6 on free agents (I guess 5/7 but Ware retired didn't sign elsewhere and really Groy signed here just the Bills had RFA rights).

As we sit right now we have $9.4 million when you set aside money for the rookie pool. We're about done with free agency but I'll make another move or two. These moves leave us with about $8 million in cap space.

C John Sullivan $4 Million/2 years.
Our stop gap center now. Former starter in Minnesota who was a backup last year for the Redskins comes in for what might be his last contract.

DT Ricardo Matthews $3 Million/2 Years
Journeyman DT who finds himself the odd man out in Pittsburgh's 3-4 behind Tuitt and Hargraves.

For the draft I think there is a very very real chance we trade down from our first spot unless somebody that they covet is there. For this mock I'm going to say one of those players is available.

Round 2 pick 5:

TE Evan Engram Ole Miss

evan-engram-dynasty-rookie-TE.jpg

A matchup nightmare to pair with Higbee. We've seen the numbers in the past and know McVay is going to run a lot of 2 TE sets.

Round 3 pick 5:

CB Jourdan Lewis Michigan

069af8f2302a049b6aa4f0b48584848f

Lewis' height and relatively slow running at the combine have him dropping into the 3rd for us. Has great ball skills and fluidity and should excel in Wades defense.

Round 4 pick 5:

DT Nazair Jones North Carolina

Nazair-Jones.jpg

We've had some success drafting DLine from North Carolina and dip into that well again. Strong defender especially from the waist down. With his size and strength he shows good speed and should slot in at NT early in his career.

Round 4 pick 35:

Josh Carraway Edge TCU

Clint+Trickett+Josh+Carraway+TCU+v+West+Virginia+Rbhom6g6G3Al.jpg

Stealing one from @PressureD41 here. Looked into him after his last mock and there's a lot to like here. Will benefit from not having to start right away but can come in and learn behind Barwin and Quinn.

Round 5 pick 5:

WR Josh Reynolds Texas A&M

Josh%20Reynolds

Doesn't have game changing speed at 4.5 but is a big WR at 6'3" who was constantly able to churn out big plays. Averaged 17 YPC and hauled in 12 TD this past season.

Round 6 pick 5:

CB Jeremy Clark Michigan.

cornerback-jeremy-clark-of-the-michigan-wolverines-gets-set-for-the-picture-id607558032

Dipping into that excellent Michigan secondary again. At 6'3" and 200lbs he ran an impressive 4.43 40 yard. Good size and man skills for Wade to utilize.

Round 6 pick 22:

C Chase Roullier Wyoming

Roullier-Chase-Wyoming-at-Air-Force-TB-01-1.jpg

He's been my guy for a long time now and no sense in changing that.

Round 7 pick 16:

ILB Ben Boulware Clemson

hi-res-2da9c122943863b9007d989ea30f1ac7_crop_north.jpg

Wade Phillips as we know is one of the best DC the league has ever seen. What most people don't realize is the man that runs the great 3-4 defenses does it at ILB with late round or UDFA picks on a regular basis. Here we bring in a guy who needs some work to be a starter but he's allowed that by sitting behind Ogletree and Barron. I thought about Hardy Nickerson Jr but with how much Jrry likes Boulware I decided to put him in instead.

UDFA I would target:

Ezra Robinson CB Tennessee St
Dymonte Thomas SS Michigan
Michael Hutchings OLB USC
Isaac Rochel DE Notre Dame

I would have gone a differ direction in Rd 2. Otherwise a dam good mock!!! Enjoyed your writes up etc.

lockdnram21

Legend
Crap. I keep forgetting about that trade haha. Yea, Roullier is finally getting attention, especially after he had a quality Combine.

I'm just saying with Engram that he wouldn't be a TE for us. He'd be a slot WR. Not saying it's a bad pick or that he'll be gone.

Avery Moss is an easy choice for me if he's there. I liked Carraway when it seemed like he might have a lot of untapped athletic potential, but his Combine workout was very average. Moss, on the other hand, has a great combination of length and power. He's a really nice developmental guy imo.
Yea Engram might end up being like a Jordan Matthews

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like the write-up. Always good info in your Mocks...nice work. Can't be mad at these draft picks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Info coming out about the Lewis thing makes t look like a very minor thing. If he gets charged she likely will also for assault. I'll look for the link later but it seems she kicked and hit him trying to get him not to leave. He then instead of calling the cops tried to get her out of his way and grabbed her by the neck/shoulder to move her. Both of them sounded like idiots.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I could see the Engram pick coming true. McVay talked about needing weapons for Goff. That tells me that he thinks there aren't enough good ones on the team. So Engram will be very enticing no matter what position he projects to.

I am not as keen on your 4th rounders but that is fine because those spots would probably be used on Ryenolds and Roullier. I like most of it.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Good Job @OldSchool.....I love reading everyone's ideas and projections.....thank you very much for the effort and time.... .... ;)

Go Rams......... ;)