OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I know this is the hottest topic among Rams fans and rightfully so. I believe Fish & Snead have a plan in place to draft at least 2 potential starters in the first 3 rounds. They know as well as anyone of the issues along the OL since they came in 2012. This is evidenced by us almost grabbing Martin had it not been for AD dropping last year.

Imo unless a premier DE/OLB or WR drops to 10 (White/Cooper) and the Rams stand pat Brandon Scherff will be the pick. Imo he can be a much better pro at G, but could play RT if needed.

I also don't see why doubling down on OL the first 2 picks wouldn't be great. If Cam Erving somehow drops to the 9th pick in the 2nd it's a no-brainer pick. He can compete for the starting C spot while also backing up both OG spots in case something happens to #76.

I also think even if we grab 2 starting caliber OLs in the draft we can still sign Barks or Blaylock to help our depth. With this scenario our starting OL would be:

LT: Robinson
LG: Saffold
C: Erving
RG: Scherff
RT: Barksdale

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I know this is the hottest topic among Rams fans and rightfully so. I believe Fish & Snead have a plan in place to draft at least 2 potential starters in the first 3 rounds. They know as well as anyone of the issues along the OL since they came in 2012. This is evidenced by us almost grabbing Martin had it not been for AD dropping last year.

Imo unless a premier DE/OLB or WR drops to 10 (White/Cooper) and the Rams stand pat Brandon Scherff will be the pick. Imo he can be a much better pro at G, but could play RT if needed.

I also don't see why doubling down on OL the first 2 picks wouldn't be great. If Cam Erving somehow drops to the 9th pick in the 2nd it's a no-brainer pick. He can compete for the starting C spot while also backing up both OG spots in case something happens to #76.

I also think even if we grab 2 starting caliber OLs in the draft we can still sign Barks or Blaylock to help our depth. With this scenario our starting OL would be:

LT: Robinson
LG: Saffold
C: Erving
RG: Scherff
RT: Barksdale

We just differ on OL vs BPA at #10, 24/7.

I'm gonna take a run at this with you. Lol.

In every draft there are a limited number of "lightning in the bottle" type players. Normally they are found in the top third of the 1st round, or thereabouts. I'm talking about players "perceived" as such, not the unexpected gems that teams get lucky with later in the draft. Like Larry Allen, for example.

So when a team is fortunate enough to find itself in a position to take such a player, it simply must. Such opportunities are all too rare.

Aaron Donald is a classic example of such a player and opportunity. OBJ, Mack, Mosley, and Martin are several others from just last year. Think any of the team's acquiring those players have any regrets?

This year I believe that Parker, Dupree, and Gurley are similar potential lightning in the bottle prospects that might reasonably be expected to fall to our #10.

How can we NOT take one of these players? Especially when the suggested alternative is an OT or two that is expected to convert to OG in the NFL. In fact, as has already been discussed elsewhere, there seems to be a considerable difference of opinion as to exactly which of 6 different OT's is the best of this draft.

Moreover, there are terrific alternatives for OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in this particular draft, so finishing our OL should not be difficult at all. I'm talking top drawer OG's here, not also rans.

This could be a spectacular win win draft if we're smart enough and bold enough to go for it at #10 and STILL complete our OL via draft and FA.

So that's it for me. I don't think I can state my position any better than that.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We just differ on OL vs BPA at #10, 24/7.

I'm gonna take a run at this with you. Lol.

In every draft there are a limited number of "lightning in the bottle" type players. Normally they are found in the top third of the 1st round, or thereabouts. I'm talking about players "perceived" as such, not the unexpected gems that teams get lucky with later in the draft. Like Larry Allen, for example.

So when a team is fortunate enough to find itself in a position to take such a player, it simply must. Such opportunities are all too rare.

Aaron Donald is a classic example of such a player and opportunity. OBJ, Mack, Mosley, and Martin are several others from just last year. Think any of the team's acquiring those players have any regrets?

This year I believe that Parker, Dupree, and Gurley are similar potential lightning in the bottle prospects that might reasonably be expected to fall to our #10.

How can we NOT take one of these players? Especially when the suggested alternative is an OT or two that is expected to convert to OG in the NFL. In fact, as has already been discussed elsewhere, there seems to be a considerable difference of opinion as to exactly which of 6 different OT's is the best of this draft.

Moreover, there are terrific alternatives for OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in this particular draft, so finishing our OL should not be difficult at all. I'm talking top drawer OG's here, not also rans.

This could be a spectacular win win draft if we're smart enough and bold enough to go for it at #10 and STILL complete our OL via draft and FA.

So that's it for me. I don't think I can state my position any better than that.

Let me clarify myself if my OP was unclear. I'm not saying Scherff is my favorite pick at #10, but I think that he may be the Rams favorite pick if the premier WRs and DEs are gone. I'd still personally take Parker if he were there.

I'm a big proponent of BPA and AD is evidence of that working in 2014.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
43... If you think Scherff isn't graded similarly to those WRs you are probably in for a shock my friend. Don't be surprised if Scherff is the pick at 10, or even if the Rams jump ahead of the Giants to grab him. I base that on two things... One, he is much better as an OT prospect than Martin was who the Rams very much coveted; somewhere in all the talk about him being an all pro OG I think he has become undervalued by fans from that perspective. Two, he is a perfect fit for what the Rams need. He is tough, dominating physically, can play inside or outside immediately for the Rams and upgrade them in both pass and run, and is a determined leader type whose impact on this OL will be far greater than most realize.

Lastly, there are terrific alternatives as you put it, for WR in the 2nd round if the Rams are hell bent on adding a WR. Some of those second tier guys might be closer to starter or elite level than folks think. Dorsett, as I have mentioned before, or Agholor are obvious choices there. JMO my friend, and thankfully we'll see real soon.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
43... If you think Scherff isn't graded similarly to those WRs you are probably in for a shock my friend. Don't be surprised if Scherff is the pick at 10, or even if the Rams jump ahead of the Giants to grab him. I base that on two things... One, he is much better as an OT prospect than Martin was who the Rams very much coveted; somewhere in all the talk about him being an all pro OG I think he has become undervalued by fans from that perspective. Two, he is a perfect fit for what the Rams need. He is tough, dominating physically, can play inside or outside immediately for the Rams and upgrade them in both pass and run, and is a determined leader type whose impact on this OL will be far greater than most realize.

Lastly, there are terrific alternatives as you put it, for WR in the 2nd round if the Rams are hell bent on adding a WR. Some of those second tier guys might be closer to starter or elite level than folks think. Dorsett, as I have mentioned before, or Agholor are obvious choices there. JMO my friend, and thankfully we'll see real soon.

Amen. That's my thinking exactly. Although Scherff wouldn't be my top choice at #10 (Cooper, White, Parker, Fowler) if the premier guys are gone I certainly understand the Rams taking Scherff.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Amen. That's my thinking exactly. Although Scherff wouldn't be my top choice at #10 (Cooper, White, Parker, Fowler) if the premier guys are gone I certainly understand the Rams taking Scherff.

In my opinion, La'el Collins and Andrus Peat are the top offensive linemen in this draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I couldn't disagree with you more. Martin was a better pass protector at OT in college even despite having about 1/2" shorter arms than Scherff. Probably because he wasn't nearly as stiff and very light on his feet.

BTW, I still say that the team has a far better shot at selecting a OG at closer to starter or elite level not only into the 2nd round, but well into round three.

Even as deep as this class is on the interior line, there may only be 3 interior linemen selected in the entire first round. Meanwhile there may be 3 WRs selected in the first 10 picks.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Agree with Memphis, you can get OGs up and down this draft and possible starters into the 4th round. Now someone to play RT... that, we might have to be a bit clever about.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Agree with Memphis, you can get OGs up and down this draft and possible starters into the 4th round. Now someone to play RT... that, we might have to be a bit clever about.

That's why I think Andrus Peat is there guy if they are stuck at #10

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I couldn't disagree with you more. Martin was a better pass protector at OT in college even despite having about 1/2" shorter arms than Scherff. Probably because he wasn't nearly as stiff and very light on his feet.

BTW, I still say that the team has a far better shot at selecting a OG at closer to starter or elite level not only into the 2nd round, but well into round three.

Even as deep as this class is on the interior line, there may only be 3 interior linemen selected in the entire first round. Meanwhile there may be 3 WRs selected in the first 10 picks.

Funny how different we view it. Martin always looked small on the edge and I'd wonder how he did it half the time; when they projected him to OG it was a no brainer although it did surprise me how good he was at OG. Scherff looks like he belongs, doesn't have the best feet sure but he plays smart and is so physical he looks like a RT to me. So it'll be interesting to see where he goes. If you're right, he's gonna free fall because if he's only a guard there is no reason to take him anywhere near that high.

I suspect teams are gonna disagree with you as well, but we'll see.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I can't wait for the Rams to draft the next Tavon Austin at #10!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Funny how different we view it. Martin always looked small on the edge and I'd wonder how he did it half the time; when they projected him to OG it was a no brainer although it did surprise me how good he was at OG. Scherff looks like he belongs, doesn't have the best feet sure but he plays smart and is so physical he looks like a RT to me. So it'll be interesting to see where he goes. If you're right, he's gonna free fall because if he's only a guard there is no reason to take him anywhere near that high.

I suspect teams are gonna disagree with you as well, but we'll see.

Not necessarily. A couple of teams mistakenly used top 10 picks on guards only types just a couple years ago.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I hear you, Merlin. Scherff is generally rated as the consensus 8th best player overall. As such, he deserves to be in the conversation as a BPA candidate. The remaining OT's drop down into the teens and twenties, however, and therefore should not really be considered BPA candidates. Unless we trade down, of course.

My preference would be one of the top WR's in the 1st and taking our OL in rounds 2-4. It's a deep OL draft, too.

In fact I believe my combo of Parker and Cann is better value than the Scherff plus (any 2nd round WR) combo.

Other opinions may vary. Lol.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think many are underrating Scherff's athleticism. The attached article alludes to that as well. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/04/why_some_teams_including_the_giants_look_at_brando.html

Why some teams (including the Giants) look at Brandon Scherff as a tackle, not strictly a guard
By Jordan Raanan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com The Star-Ledger

Iowa's Brandon Scherff received fair warning. He knew this type of scrutiny was coming during the NFL draft buildup. Scherff's offensive line coach, Brian Ferentz, warned him when they made the trip to Orlando for the Outland Trophy, given to the best lineman in college football. Everything, fair or not, would be overanalyzed in the coming months as the Outland winner prepared to be a first-round pick.

"You put yourself in a position where you are going to be scrutinized, you're going to be picked apart and people are going to be looking for flaws," Ferentz told Scherff. "It's a very public process."

Ferentz's forewarning was legitimate. The nitpicking has been relentless. Are Scherff's arms long enough? Is his technique solid? Does he possess enough athleticism? And, mostly, can he play offensive tackle at the next level?
It has been a popular topic to debate. Does Scherff, a left tackle at Iowa, project as a guard or tackle in the NFL?

Some don't think there is any doubt. He's "100 percent" a guard, former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah said recently. Others have chimed in as well.

Not everyone agrees, including some of the teams that actually will be making the selections in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft on April 30.

"He's real good. He can play left tackle and be good. He can play right tackle and be great," an NFL scout told NJ Advance Media's Mark Eckel.

Others think Scherff can be a good right tackle and a great guard. Draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki quoted a scout in his NFL Draft 2015 Preview:
"Scherff is one of the best run blockers I have seen in a long time. He gouges and finishes. I don't know if he has the frame you want for a left tackle. I graded him as an immediate starter as an offensive guard. He just doesn't have a lot of length. He can climb to the second and even third level and moves fine. I'd feel more comfortable with him at right tackle than left. Plug him in at guard and you might have something special."

The Giants are believed to be in the camp that considers Scherff a right tackle or guard. They held a private workout for Scherff several weeks back in Iowa that was attended by offensive line coach Pat Flaherty. There they saw the unique physical ability that likely has many teams believing his game can translate as a tackle playing in space.
"The beauty of a guy like Brandon, and why I think he can play tackle, is that athletically he can pass protect in the National Football League," said Ferentz, who coached Scherff and the Iowa offensive linemen the past three years after four seasons with the New England Patriots. "He may not be as long as some of the guys that they point at and say, 'Hey, this guy is a really good pass protector because he's long.'
"OK, length is important. Brandon has fairly long arms. He's 6-4½, he's certainly not a tiny guy. And he has very good athletic ability. He's very explosive. He can cover a lot of ground."

Scherff's athleticism really isn't an issue. He ran the 40-yard dash in 5.05 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine, the fourth-best time among all offensive linemen. He played some quarterback in high school and was a four-year letterman in baseball. His ability to reach the second level and block linebackers is considered a strength.
In fact, Scherff's athleticism appears underrated by the public. He is right up there with any of this and last year's draft prospects.
"He's a better athlete than both those guys [Zack Martin and Jake Matthews from last year]. A much better athlete," said Ross Tucker, former NFL lineman and current host of The Ross Tucker Football Podcast. "Scherff is up there with [last year's No. 2 pick] Greg Robinson in terms of being an athlete. He's clearly, to me, the best athlete of the guys this year. He just moves so well, so fluid. Looks like a guy who played quarterback or whatever in high school. He gets to the second level and linebackers and it's really, really impressive because it's rare."
Those who think Scherff is strictly a guard point to his 2014 game tape. There were some games where he struggled handling speed off the edge.
Part of that can likely be attributed to a knee injury suffered early in the season. It limited Scherff, but not to the point where he still isn't very highly regarded.
"If you expected him to perform at the level he was performing at when he was 100 percent healthy, probably not," Ferentz said. "Probably not realistic. In my estimation, he didn't perform to the level he's capable of performing at when 100 percent. "But It was still excellent." That's why Scherff is still expected to be a high draft pick, and likely the first offensive lineman off the board come draft day.

But more than anything, what Scherff seems to be fighting here is a perception. The reputation is that Iowa offensive linemen coached by Kirk and Brian Ferentz enter the NFL so refined that they're already nearing their ceiling, and their success at the next level is therefore limited.
The Iowa tackles are also perceived as non-premium athletes (not the case with Scherff) who must be shifted inside to guard, like Marshal Yanda and Robert Gallery. It's something that the Ferentzes admittedly battle in recruiting.
But sometimes, perception can become reality. In this case, that is true because Brian Ferentz has heard it from individuals involved in the draft process. It's out there with Scherff, the latest Iowa lineman who has a high floor but relatively low ceiling.
Just because it's out there doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
"In my opinion, that is baloney," Brian Ferentz said. "The one thing I know, and I've been fortunate throughout my career to be around some very gifted players, the best players I've been around all wanted to be coached. And they've all wanted to be better.
"We've gotten a reputation for producing good offensive linemen. That is flattering. When you look at most of our guys, certainly there are outliers, but one thing they have done despite the reputation is most guys have gone to the National Football League and overachieved in their career. They've played above where they were drafted."
Some of the more notable Iowa linemen under Kirk Ferentz include Gallery, Yanda, Riley Reiff, Bryan Bulaga and Eric Steinbach. All had lengthy NFL careers.
Scherff simply appears to be next in line, whether it be at tackle or guard.

I for one really like Scherff and would love to see him picked by the Rams at 10.
Scherff has a ridiculously high SPARQ score of 128.8 which is in the 98th Percentile (Wow).
He is mean.
He is tough
He is strong
He has been well Coached
He is a High Character Guy
AND HE IS also very ATHLETIC

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'd like to see us get an oline that can put a whuppin on the Seattle defense!
That would be great!

Memphis Ram

Legend
STAT OF THE WEEK
The top offensive line prospect in the draft, Iowa guard/tackle Brandon Scherff, played 919 offensive snaps in 13 Hawkeyes games last year. He allowed 2.5 sacks, which is good. But the problem with that stat standing alone is this: Scherff didn’t face Nebraska first-round rush prospect Randy Gregory last year, and the Big Ten was overall crummy in pass-rush prospects last season, the best being late-round Purdue rusher Ryan Russell (3 sacks in 2014 / 10 in 4 seasons). So when you hear this stat on draft night, have a little perspective.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/20/tim-tebow-signs-philadelphia-eagles-nfl/4/

And before anyone mentions Ohio State's Joey Bosa, Iowa didn't play Ohio State this year.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And in related news, no one currently in this year's NFL draft has yet to play against any NFL competition!

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-nfl-draft-brandon-scherff-iowa-offensive-line-guard/

Here’s him stonewalling Randy Gregory — you know, that guy who some consider the best pass-rusher in a draft chock-full of them:
scherffgregory_gif_static.gif
scherffgregory.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

We had a good discussion last week WestCoastRam, that I enjoyed so I thought it was time for another. I do not fall into this way of thinking or this PREMISE .......that is stated for a long time .... The St Louis Rams can with retaliative ease, find OL starters in the mid rounds of the NFL drafts.

Now mid rounds to my way of thinking usually starts somewhere around the mid second round to approx the end of the 4th round. I understand that many members may have a different thought on just where the mid rounds are. For some it could be 3rd, 4th & 5th rds. I also am aware that all drafts have thin-ness /thick-ness to them in all the positions. So I posting here in general terms but just on the Rams team. I will also acknowledge that other teams may have a much better %'s of success.

I just have not seen any real consistent evidence of this often used premise or assumption. So I thought it was time to really dig deep into the Rams past sucess they have had in drafting starting OL'er in the mid rounds.

QUESTION*How many times have the Rams been successful in drafting decent starting OLers in the mid rounds in the last 48 drafts?

Using this site for my information:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...ate=-1&award=-1&collegecoach=-1&highschool=-1

Second Round
#1-1986-#50 OG/ Tom Newberry 29 drafts ago (Pro Bowl)(y):)
#2-1980-#50 OT/ Irv Pankey 35 drafts ago(y)

Third Round
#3-2005-#81 OG/ Richie Inconito 10 drafts ago
#4-2000-#94 OT/ John St. Clair 15 drafts ago
#5-1976-#86 ORT/Jackie Slater 39 drafts ago (NFL/Hall of Fame):love::D

Fourth Round
#6-1997-#112 ORT/Ryan Tucker 18 drafts ago

BonifayRam's Summary: In this review I have found only one example in the last decade of where the Rams have been successful in drafting & finding a starting OL'er in the mid- second, third & fourth rounds of the draft over the last decade. In researching back some 48 yrs. I discovered only SIX examples on this premise. A trio of these example were outstanding starting Ram OL'ers.

In conclusion: The Rams past history of finding decent starting OL'ers in the mid rounds is infrequent & very uncommon. Would it be prudent to assume that the Rams OL critical issues can be resolved by entering this draft with the above stated premise. :whistle::bueller:........I hope the Rams use their #10 & #41 selections to ATTACK & resolve this ongoing OL issue in the two positions ORT & OLG.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
#4-2000-#94 OT/ John St. Clair 15 drafts ago

Freaking John St. Clair....the Rams tried to keep him at T and he was a turnstile. Miami (I think) moved him to G and he was solid.
I still see Sherff as a G.