Okay. What about the elephant in the room?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm gonna go ahead and cut him some slack here.
There are a lot of reasons why this D is struggling right now.
Wade's understanding of defense as a whole isn't one of them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brian Hoyer

Hoyer can play, he's not a stiff.

I see someone said they were "feeling 43ish" while channeling your positive outlook about the Rams on another board......that is SO perfect and I'm going to steal it.

I'm feeling 43ish.

I think we should all be feeling 43ish today!

It's the opposite of "Thats some 7-9 bullshit" :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
maxresdefault.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It will take time. Different D different philosophy. I remember when Jim Johnson took over the Eagles and they already had a lot of vets like Dawkins, Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Jeremiah Trotter, Hugh Douglass etc...

They struggled early the 1st year, but by the end of the season they were much better. Same with Spags and the Giants in 2007. They struggled giving up over a 30 a game the 1st month of the season. Improved over time and that year won the Super Bowl, holding down the 18-0 Pats.

So it will take time. Hopefully they have extra time this week to tweak some things, or simplify scheme, or whatever is needed. So I think they will improve and ultimately they need another defensive draft addressing LB and CB.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Anyone else think Tru played selfish last night? Playing the ball too much...going for a pick instead of a PD.

IDK he looked like he was playing for himself yesterday. So many other issues to worry about but something I noticed.

Ram65

Legend
Hard to come up with the answer to the defensive problems. The defensive line seems to be getting beaten and pushed around. They aren't controlling the man in front of them and shedding the blocks. Quinn is not doing anything. Barwin looks slow to react. Asking a lot of Tree in coverage sometimes. Some poor tackling. I think it's more than just learning the new defense.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Hard to come up with the answer to the defensive problems. The defensive line seems to be getting beaten and pushed around. They aren't controlling the man in front of them and shedding the blocks. Quinn is not doing anything. Barwin looks slow to react. Asking a lot of Tree in coverage sometimes. Some poor tackling. I think it's more than just learning the new defense.

Yeah they can work on the lineups to get better attack angles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anyone else think Tru played selfish last night? Playing the ball too much...going for a pick instead of a PD.

IDK he looked like he was playing for himself yesterday. So many other issues to worry about but something I noticed.

Maybe. But I think more likely is that Tru simply isn't a shutdown corner. He's an inconsistent #2 guy that is going to struggle when he draws top wideouts. Take a look no further than the Dallas game. Dude is in for another rough outing IMO.

Last edited:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
No problem with wade but I have never liked a 3-4 system. I don't think it suits this roster very well. For instance I don't think Quinn will reach his full QB killing potential. It's a waste of his true talents.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, in fairness to Wade, I have to say that he's had his hands tied in some areas.

For one thing, the starters on D seldom, if ever, were allowed to play together in the PS. Kinda weird, considering the new DC, the new D, and so many new starters that needed to gel together.

Injuries have hampered, too.

Webster has only been able to play a half through 3 games.

The loss of TruJo in the Redskin game came at a crucial point that may have cost us the winning TD.

Joyner's injury was not helpful in the Niner game.

Sooooo...

I could understand if Wade was a bit frustrated. But I'm also sure that he knows that the Cowboys are gonna attack every single weakness on his D that's already been exposed.

No mercy in the NFL, huh?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For one thing, the starters on D seldom, if ever, were allowed to play together in the PS. Kinda weird, considering the new DC, the new D, and so many new starters that needed to gel together.

I suspect that's part of it. And they also need both Quinn and Barron to step it up, Ogletree too for that matter. I do think Alec will start to excel as we go forward, but it's Quinn and Barron that concern me.

Getting Webster back will help too. This defense isn't deep enough at CB to not feel the loss of a starter. When that happens you get inconsistency added to the mix.

Again, though, WHEN the front seven starts playing better this defense will be fine. They will too. I have that much faith in Wade.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Well, in fairness to Wade, I have to say that he's had his hands tied in some areas.

Injuries have hampered, too.

Webster has only been able to play a half through 3 games.

The loss of TruJo in the Redskin game came at a crucial point that may have cost us the winning TD.

Joyner's injury was not helpful in the Niner game.

Sooooo...

I could understand if Wade was a bit frustrated. But I'm also sure that he knows that the Cowboys are gonna attack every single weakness on his D that's already been exposed.

No mercy in the NFL, huh?
The D is definitely struggling, but I have faith in WP. The big elephant in the room Thursday was the special teams. They crapped the bed at every turn except for Hekker. Muffed punt, fumbled punt return, KO outta bounds. Botched on side kick recovery. And why the hell you running KO returns from the end zone? Mostly bad things happen compared to getting it at the 25 without injuries or penalties.Bones ........ wassup?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
September football is just an extended preseason if you ask me. If this defense looks like this in week 6 then it might be time to panic

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another take? Perhaps, our high-powered offense (did I just say that?) is scoring so quickly it's giving the opposing teams more shots down the field. But I do agree that it will take some time to get the D where it should be. Our run D is pretty bad. Pass D isn't much better. At least the games are fun to watch now... Right!?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

No, just bad habits in coverage...looking in the backfield instead of watching his coverage responsibility.