Ohio State CB Bradley Roby charged with OVI

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The acronyms DUI, DWI, OMVI and OVI all refer to the same thing: operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs - Ohio State Bar Association
---------------------------------
Bradley Roby charged with operating a vehicle under the influence

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 24, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptjhnmq1ymu0nza0n2nimjm5ywi5ztu4zgy2yzm1zmez-e1398381412882.jpeg
Getty Images

Former Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, a potential first-round draft pick, may have just done something to significantly downgrade his draft stock.

According to 10 News in Ohio, Roby is facing a a charge of OVI, or operating a vehicle under the influence.

The incident took place on April 20, when officers were called to the scene of a person passed out behind the wheel of a car. The officers who responded to the call reported that they couldn’t get the driver’s attention, and that when they opened the door they noticed the odor of alcohol. The driver failed a field sobriety test.

Roby’s agent Michael Perrett gave a different account of the incident to Ohio State sports website ElevenWarriors.com.

“This past weekend my client Bradley Roby was issued a citation in Columbus, Ohio for operating a vehicle while impaired (OVI),” Perrett said in a statement. “Bradley was sitting in his parked car in a parking lot when he was approached and questioned by an officer. He was fully cooperative and willingly submitted to field sobriety and breathalyzer tests. His BAC test registered a negligible .008 and after further testing at the police station, he was very quickly released on his own recognizance. There are no other charges, and we are confident that this matter will be resolved quickly and favorably for Bradley. However, as the matter is still pending, we cannot comment further at this time.”

This isn’t Roby’s first off-field incident. He was also suspended for the first game of last season after he was accused of getting in a bar fight, although criminal charges in that case were eventually dropped.

Roby is one of the 30 players who will attend the NFL draft. This incident means he’s likely going to have to wait a little longer to hear his name called on draft day.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
These poor stupid children.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
devil's advocate here... He knew he was drunk, so he took a nap in a parking lot... I would give him the benefit on this one...

“Bradley was sitting in his parked car in a parking lot when he was approached and questioned by an officer. He was fully cooperative and willingly submitted to field sobriety and breathalyzer tests. His BAC test registered a negligible .008 and after further testing at the police station, he was very quickly released on his own recognizance. There are no other charges, and we are confident that this matter will be resolved quickly and favorably for Bradley. However, as the matter is still pending, we cannot comment further at this time.”

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think this will impact his draft status very much since he wasnt actually driving

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It still amazes me you can get a DWI while not actually driving...

It happened to me. Went to a bar after work, got drunk, drove about a block away, climbed into the backseat with my keys to sleep it off, woke up the next morning in jail. It turns out that some cops saw the car, looked in the window and hauled me off. At least that's what I was told. Was charged with a DWI. This is why I don't miss alcohol.

Roby, as one of the 30 elite players invited to the NFL draft, should have made plans to have someone either drive him or stay home in the first place. Since he didn't act responsibly at such a crucial time, some or maybe all who make decisions for NFL clubs on who to invest their draft picks and money on, will move on to someone else. The 'boys will be boys' excuse will not work when millions of dollars are at stake. The NFL is first and foremost a business. Yeah, there are some players that got a break and got drafted anyway but how many screwed up two weeks before the draft?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It might be a good idea for the NFL to expand their program of providing a ride any time no questions to the incoming draft class, just to avoid stuff like this.

duckhunter

Starter
Doesn't pass the sniff test for me if the car is not running. I hate to say it but protect and defend can turn into harass and offend real easily for young cops.

Never trust anyone under eligible social security age.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
He wasn't too happy about the 2 week Draft "postponement" so he was just killing time...while toxicated. I don't have a judgment call. I will say based off the report he actually did the right thing considering the common decision.

It's only happened a handful of times where I got drunk at the bar and didn't expect to...walked to my truck hid the keys near a tree or bush or stationary object to wake up in the morning knowing right where I placed them. Its funny because I could barely walk leaving the bar each time.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
It happened to me. Went to a bar after work, got drunk, drove about a block away, climbed into the backseat with my keys to sleep it off, woke up the next morning in jail. It turns out that some cops saw the car, looked in the window and hauled me off. At least that's what I was told. Was charged with a DWI. This is why I don't miss alcohol.

Roby, as one of the 30 elite players invited to the NFL draft, should have made plans to have someone either drive him or stay home in the first place. Since he didn't act responsibly at such a crucial time, some or maybe all who make decisions for NFL clubs on who to invest their draft picks and money on, will move on to someone else. The 'boys will be boys' excuse will not work when millions of dollars are at stake. The NFL is first and foremost a business. Yeah, there are some players that got a break and got drafted anyway but how many screwed up two weeks before the draft?

Wow man that's an amazing story!! I'd be pissed beyond belief. I see choice being the biggest thing with this type of crime. At least you pulled over and realised you were to drunk as Roby did. I myself recieved a dWI in 2007 and it was only after 2 beers and waited two hours and as per the ' consumption rule' I figured I was in ok. Apparently I wasn't and Taught me a valuable lesson.

Either way I agree 100%, if your a star athlete that has potential to be drafted especially in the 1st round you better make sure all your T's are crossed and I's dotted even if you have to do it twice. He has no excuse doing anything like this with the potential money he has to lose which is a very irresponsible business decision on his part. Lessons like these are what teaches younger inexperienced young men life lessons that hopefully they learn the first time unlike having to go through things many times.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Doesn't pass the sniff test for me if the car is not running. I hate to say it but protect and defend can turn into harass and offend real easily for young cops.

Never trust anyone under eligible social security age.
Unfortunatly law enforement has turned into big business as the United States is slowly turning into a police state

duckhunter

Starter
Unfortunatly law enforement has turned into big business as the United States is slowly turning into a police state

Follow the buck. Wall Street has made quite a few Federal Reserve Notes with start up Initial Public Offerings on Security Companies running penitentiaries and floated a buttload of bonds for construction of such. Percentage wise, we have something like ten times as many prisoners as any other country in the world. If it wasn't so tragic it would be epicly stupid.

Nothing like when I was young. The respected police officer often said, "Sleep it off for a couple of hours and then go home. I'll be watching."

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Follow the buck. Wall Street has made quite a few Federal Reserve Notes with start up Initial Public Offerings on Security Companies running penitentiaries and floated a buttload of bonds for construction of such. Percentage wise, we have something like ten times as many prisoners as any other country in the world. If it wasn't so tragic it would be epicly stupid.

Nothing like when I was young. The respected police officer often said, "Sleep it off for a couple of hours and then go home. I'll be watching."
I am damned impressed with your knowledge in this. Most people have no clue how things actually work in our country or why. Amazing how incarceration is a money making industry and for investors it's one of the safest investments you can make. One of many problems this country has going.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I am damned impressed with your knowledge in this. Most people have no clue how things actually work in our country or why. Amazing how incarceration is a money making industry and for investors it's one of the safest investments you can make. One of many problems this country has going.
I was just watching a special on this subject the other day. I don't remember where the prison was at but they manage to put the incarcerated to work in the prison's own little tilapia farm paying them about $5 a day. Of course, they put the local tilapia farmer out of business with their slave labor.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I was just watching a special on this subject the other day. I don't remember where the prison was at but they manage to put the incarcerated to work in the prison's own little tilapia farm paying them about $5 a day. Of course, they put the local tilapia farmer out of business with their slave labor.
That sounds good for dinner tonight btw! haha
Yep its amazing how things work now a days :/

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As someone who's spent the last 14 years working with inmates at a local federal penitentiary here in Cumberland, MD., I can tell you that they don't spend much money on the men incarcerated there. It's super cheap all the way. Don't know where the money goes but it's not being spent for their benefit.

Law enforcement on the other hand needs as much money and new equipment as they can get. As criminals get more sophisticated and better equipped, cops need to keep up.

My wife and son went to London a few years back to see U2 and marveled at the amount of cameras they saw everywhere on the streets. Maybe some of our British members can attest to that. Here in Hooterville I've noticed more and more surveillance cameras popping up. It is indeed chilling and Orwellian.

duckhunter

Starter
As someone who's spent the last 14 years working with inmates at a local federal penitentiary here in Cumberland, MD., I can tell you that they don't spend much money on the men incarcerated there. It's super cheap all the way. Don't know where the money goes but it's not being spent for their benefit.

Law enforcement on the other hand needs as much money and new equipment as they can get. As criminals get more sophisticated and better equipped, cops need to keep up.

My wife and son went to London a few years back to see U2 and marveled at the amount of cameras they saw everywhere on the streets. Maybe some of our British members can attest to that. Here in Hooterville I've noticed more and more surveillance cameras popping up. It is indeed chilling and Orwellian.

My son had a contract in the burbs of Chicago putting up and maintaining cameras, radios and other electronic gizmos on the side. For a few years, he worked for a company that did many of the cameras in Chi-town proper. He had to be on constant radio contact with the dispatcher and armed because the work was often at night. Then, the oil companies were outbidding all others for awhile on their rigs because the theft was so prevalent. They eventually just trained in house installers.

Wait for the drone programs in your municipalities. That will cost a bundle.