Ogletree was benched briefly against Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ogletree was benched briefly against Chiefs
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...c-ogletree-was-benched-briefly-against-chiefs

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Lost in the mix of the many injuries the St. Louis Rams suffered in the 34-7 loss against the Kansas City Chiefs was the absence of one player late in the game who did not leave because of health concerns.

Speaking on his weekly radio show Monday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher made mention of his decision to sit linebacker Alec Ogletree after Ogletree picked up his second unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of the game with about seven minutes to go.

Fisher was answering a question about the defense's game performance and pointed to the loss of safety Rodney McLeod to a knee injury, the subsequent move of Lamarcus Joyner to safety to replace McLeod and then taking Ogletree off the field as reasons things got away from the defense in the final minutes. (The answer is about 13 minutes into the show).

"It was that last five or six minutes where, you know, I'm not going to say we were tired and deflated, but we had some people off the field, we lost Rodney and then we moved Lamarcus and at a point in time I removed Tree because I'd had enough of the unsportsmanlike conduct stuff," Fisher told 101 ESPN.

It was the second such flag of the day for Ogletree, who has also had some problems playing assignment football in recent weeks. Fisher made it clear when the Rams released linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong a couple of weeks ago that he would start taking action should his players continue to rack up silly fouls.

Ogletree, who is accustomed to playing pretty much every defensive snap, ended up missing just four snaps after coming out of the game. He played 62 of a possible 66 defensive snaps on the day. Daren Bates got some rare defensive snaps, playing five.

Despite whatever concerns Fisher might have had with Ogletree's final penalty, he also made it clear he did not agree with the first call that went against him. Ogletree picked up a questionable 15-yard flag for hitting tight end Demetrius Harris late. On the play, it appeared Harris was still not down by contact when Ogletree hit him, but the penalty was called anyway.

"It shouldn't have been called," Fisher said. "I didn't like it."

Almost halfway through his second season, Ogletree has played 424 snaps and posted 44 tackles and a pair of forced fumbles.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
First one was crap, it was a frustrating game. The defense mainly needed some offense. After that first drive, they tanked horribly. It was a hot sunny day in KC, gotta keep the D off the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First one was crap, it was a frustrating game. The defense mainly needed some offense. After that first drive, they tanked horribly. It was a hot sunny day in KC, gotta keep the D off the field.

Some offense would have helped, but we have a defensive head coach, and a lot of high end picks on that defense. At this point I think those guys should be able to get off the field on their own.

Back to AO, he's one of the reasons these guys can't get off the effin field. They need to get his head screwed on straight and get him back to being the tackling machine this defense needs. Dude should be a terror by now, not the guy Fish has to worry about.

On a side note, I do think that if they ever get their starting CBs back on the field things will start to come together. Hopefully Barron will be an impact piece in this defense too. But they really need to get their LBs, namely AO, on track.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am an Ogletree fan, but dude needs to play smarter. Not just the personal fouls last week... But smarter in his assignments.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Speaking on his weekly radio show Monday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher made mention of his decision to sit linebacker Alec Ogletree after Ogletree picked up his second unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of the game with about seven minutes to go.
It can not be said enough "That 1st Unsportsmanlike" He got was one of the worst calls I've seen this year! And EVERYONE who saw the replay knew it! One of the judges even pleaded with the Ref to reverse the Call, but he refused!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Some offense would have helped, but we have a defensive head coach, and a lot of high end picks on that defense. At this point I think those guys should be able to get off the field on their own.

Back to AO, he's one of the reasons these guys can't get off the effin field. They need to get his head screwed on straight and get him back to being the tackling machine this defense needs. Dude should be a terror by now, not the guy Fish has to worry about.

On a side note, I do think that if they ever get their starting CBs back on the field things will start to come together. Hopefully Barron will be an impact piece in this defense too. But they really need to get their LBs, namely AO, on track.

Honestly, if AO would just wrap up low and slip some blocks, he'd dominate. His missed tackles are alarming. I'd have him running wind sprints every time he went high.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Honestly, if AO would just wrap up low and slip some blocks, he'd dominate. His missed tackles are alarming. I'd have him running wind sprints every time he went high.

He is also not playing as fast as I hoped. Too many times he gets out ran. Hell, Romo out ran him.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave

I agree with you that the offense needed to help them out in KC. But going along with that they need to help themselves out as well. How many 3rd and longs has this defense given up this season? If my memory serves me right they have given up a lot. They have to take advantage of the long 3rd downs and get off the field. Seeing the QBs scramble and get the 1st down is frustrating to watch lol.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I have to say that I had hopes for more growth from his rookie season until now. I would love to see a heavier stronger A.O that disengages better

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It can not be said enough "That 1st Unsportsmanlike" He got was one of the worst calls I've seen this year! And EVERYONE who saw the replay knew it! One of the judges even pleaded with the Ref to reverse the Call, but he refused!!

While it may be that the first call was bogus, a smart player aught to know he's got the refs. attention and not let himself get caught for a second ,the chippiness the Rams exhibit has been a sore point and has been blamed on the HC for not extinguishing it, if Fish is ever to get hold of that he has to do something .
This team can't afford those penalties especially on a defense that hasn't been able to protect leads

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While it may be that the first call was bogus, a smart player aught to know he's got the refs. attention and not let himself get caught for a second ,the chippiness the Rams exhibit has been a sore point and has been blamed on the HC for not extinguishing it, if Fish is ever to get hold of that he has to do something .
This team can't afford those penalties especially on a defense that hasn't been able to protect leads
Maybe it's like Breaking a spirited Horse, you don't want to break his spirit, just control him!

RamzFanz

Damnit
He is also not playing as fast as I hoped. Too many times he gets out ran. Hell, Romo out ran him.

Yeah, he seems to be taking really bad angles. Wilson destroyed him. The Dude is an athlete though and I still hold out high hopes he's coachable.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
If he can get back on track he has the potential to be very good lb in this league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not a fan. Good LBers pickup the position very quickly. He is an athlete playing football. To think that Snead passed up that trade from Minnesota for their first second and third rounders. Larry Warford could be one of the Guards...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I am not a fan. Good LBers pickup the position very quickly. He is an athlete playing football. To think that Snead passed up that trade from Minnesota for their first second and third rounders. Larry Warford could be one of the Guards...
Yeah but that is a bunch of what if's
warford is like that mythical unicorn - " we would have had Warford!" is about as courageous as suggesting we shouldn't have selected Jason Smith - don't get what Warford would be doing now that would be the difference in not making the playoffs and making the playoffs. Can you please quantify how exactly Warford would be making a difference right now...
Ogletree was a good pick at the late first round - he wasn't drafted higher, since the Rams traded down - so I don't get it - it's not like they pushed the envelope on him .....
Look - the talent is there - it has to do with the ultimate development of the player doesn't it? He should be an All-Pro with all that talent

Plus who would be in Ogletree stead at LB if not him?
BATES? who?
Ray Ray?????

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many 3rd and longs has this defense given up this season?

I'm not sure but every time it's 3rd and long I'm scared to look at the screen. The rams must lead the league in allowing 1st downs on 3rd and longs.

To think that Snead passed up that trade from Minnesota for their first second and third rounders.

It's quite easy to understand his thinking, I assume that he would have looked at his draft board, seen that Minnesota didn't actually have a first round pick to offer and made the decision that taking an offer of none existent picks would most likely get him fired.