Official Rams vs. Chargers Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Hill never should have thrown that pass because Cook was not open and it was a very good play by the defense.
The punt return penalty is moot. The Rams still drove down within the 10 with plenty of time and a first down.
I said before the game it's all on the offense and they only scored 10 points. The Rams hurt themselves with penalties this game.
Unfortunately the Rams are going to have to find and draft a good QB because Bradford cannot be counted on to stay healthy. If Bradford can stay healthy I think the Rams have a legitimate shot next year. Especially with the way they have been drafting.

Alan

Legend
It's probably already been mentioned but Rivers threw a horrible interception at the goal line and I don't hear anyone saying he sucks. That just evened things out as far as I'm concerned.

Just saying.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It's probably already been mentioned but Rivers threw a horrible interception at the goal line and I don't hear anyone saying he sucks. That just evened things out as far as I'm concerned.

Just saying.
Well, no one's saying Hill sucks just because he threw a pick to end the game either. Not to mention, there's a big difference in the situations. Throwing a goal line pick(6) early in the game can be overcome. Throwing a goal line pick at the end of the game, down by 3 is a lot bigger error by a QB.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I am 100 percent convinced that we are a good quarterback our way
The ref's were calling it close on both teams and were consistent with how ticky-tack they were calling the game. The bad call cost the Rams on the punt return but you can't say that it cost them 4 points because the team got down to the same spot on the field and didn't score. And, IMO the way things worked out it was a lot better for the Rams if they took time off the clock before getting to the red zone anyway because SD was moving the ball at will on offense.

The Britt TD wasn't a bad call, was it? It was unfortunate for the Rams but there was illegal hands to the face on that play so it wasn't the ref's fault the guy committed the penalty.
if San Diego was moving the ball at will they would have closed out the game when they had the chance .But our defense stop them which set all of this up and they would have had to score a TD to win.And the penalties that were called clearly favored San Diego 2 touchdowns called back a punt return at the 1 yard line called back that's a lot of points that got erased.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd agree with @jrry32 here. We are not the Redskins. We actually have a pretty good base of talent on both sides of the ball. We may be ONLY a good QB and some O-line help away. Most top two or three QBs go to teams that are just freaking awful. We are just a few shit calls and plays away from winning a lot of games.

And sorry @RamzFanz , Hill was plain awful today. He had a couple plays where he stepped up and delivered but he was throwing major ducks and those two INTs were inexcusably bad. And the fumble was the same play you and some others were calling Davis out for. I'm not arguing that Davis is the answer either but Hill was no better today and likely a bit worse. Doesn't matter though because neither one should be a starter.

Go get a QB and hope that Sam can stay healthy. I've said it before. At minimum you have a good investment in a future QB - trade bait or otherwise.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Isn't there a Russell Wilson out there the Rams can draft? I'd rather keep our picks for the O line and a linebacker! JMO.:(

moklerman

Warner-phile
I am 100 percent convinced that we are a good quarterback our way

if San Diego was moving the ball at will they would have closed out the game when they had the chance .But our defense stop them which set all of this up and they would have had to score a TD to win.And the penalties that were called clearly favored San Diego 2 touchdowns called back a punt return at the 1 yard line called back that's a lot of points that got erased.
You act as if SD would have taken the same approach on a final drive that they did when they were just trying to run time off the clock. Yes, our defense did a good job to get the ball back but SD was moving the ball up and down the field all day and the Rams weren't really getting to Rivers. Had they got the ball back with over a minute to go, I think they would have marched down the field yet again.

And the last time I heard, the ref's called 9 penalties on the Rams and 8 on the Chargers. They weren't picking and choosing to call back scoring plays and the only one I thought was bogus was the hold on the punt return but that didn't nullify a score. Just a long return. The Britt TD was a penalty. Sucks that it got called back but it wasn't a bogus call.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Isn't there a Russell Wilson out there the Rams can draft? I'd rather keep our picks for the O line and a linebacker! JMO.:(
I agree. That's the problem, this regime hasn't illustrated that it can identify a QB who will transition to the NFL. Even going with the shorter odds of drafting a first round QB, I still think it's an unsafe bet to trade up. It's one thing to burn a 1st round pick on a QB that doesn't work out but an entire draft or multiple early picks?!?

Alan

Legend
moklerman seeing things I don't:
Throwing a goal line pick(6) early in the game can be overcome. Throwing a goal line pick at the end of the game, down by 3 is a lot bigger error by a QB.
The only difference I see is in the outcome. The play is the same and the lack of judgement is the same. Hill was trying to win and thought he could make the throw.

If posters aren't bashing Hill for that then why are they? Everyone throws bad interceptions and fumbles the ball occasionally when they get hit and sometimes when they don't. Hill is the same QB we saw in camp and the preseason, not very good especially compared to Bradford. He's better than Davis but we saw the exact same thing in camp and the preseason. To suddenly now start talking shit about a player who's playing at their KNOWN ability isn't very fair to the player IMO.

Sorry to all about the caps in this and many of my other posts. I can't see words in italics and while I use them myself, I only do it when I'm not worried about haiving to read it when I edit. So I sometimes need to use caps to stress a word.

Last edited:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The only difference I see is in the outcome. The play is the same and the lack of judgement is the same. Hill was trying to win and thought he could make the throw.

If posters aren't bashing Hill for that then why are they? Everyone throws bad interceptions and fumbles the ball occasionally when they get hit and sometimes when they don't. Hill is the same QB we saw in camp and the preseason, not very good especially compared to Bradford. He's better than Davis but we saw the exact same thing in camp and the preseason. To suddenly now start talking crap about a player who's playing at their KNOWN ability isn't very fair to the player IMO.

Sorry to all about the caps in this and many of my other posts. I can't see words in italics and while I use them myself, I only do it when I'm not worried about haiving to read it when I edit. So I'm somtimes need to use caps to stress a word.
I was just as pissed at Hill's first interception, if not more since I didn't see how he could make that throw!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
To suddenly now start talking crap about a player who's playing at their KNOWN ability isn't very fair to the player IMO.
Actually it looks to me like he has lost some power on his throws. I don't ever remember him throwing the kinds of ducks I saw today. And that last one as someone already mentioned was a total stare down. The defender was sitting there in total disbelief that it was going to be that easy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Just saying.

Rivers was just following the refs and Goodells instructions to throw that pass. Get on board OK.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree. That's the problem, this regime hasn't illustrated that it can identify a QB who will transition to the NFL. Even going with the shorter odds of drafting a first round QB, I still think it's an unsafe bet to trade up. It's one thing to burn a 1st round pick on a QB that doesn't work out but an entire draft or multiple early picks?!?

Well this regime hasn't really draf5tred a QB, they relied on Bradford, which was a mistake, and brought in Hill which for a move to add a backup isn;t bad.

My feeling is they should have stuck with Davis for the rest of the year.

Because refs like him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No, it's all about the situation. Rivers, or any QB, can be more aggressive early in the game. Granted, an interception in the red zone is never a good thing but when you're in the spot Hill was, you have to be even more careful. If it's there, take it. If it's not, throw it out of the end zone and live to run a play on third down.

That he threw the pick is inexcusable but that he stared down the receiver and took a chance in that situation is unforgivable. He should know better. Not only did he not have a clear TD and safe pass, he didn't even see that that was what was going on. It was really bad QB play that you'd expect to see from a rookie.

Seriously, if today is what we can expect of Hill then I'm for putting Davis back in. He MIGHT have a chance to remain as a backup moving forward but this is it for Hill. He is what he is, he isn't young, he isn't cheap and he looks done.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I pretty much agree BUT, neither Mariota or Winston have even made their intentions known much less actually declared for the draft. There are at least 3 teams in need of a QBOTF that will likely draft ahead of the Rams so I don't see how spending multiple picks by the Rams is any good for their future.

The future? It is the future. Time to cash in.

Remember that RG3 trade? Remember the king's ransom we secured? We need to use that talent to win a Super Bowl. And guess what? Those RG3 players start hitting FA after next season. Jenkins, Brockers, Tru, Zuerlein... Free agents after 2015.

And after that? Ogletree, Tavon, Stedman, Stacy, etc.

Before we know it, the core we built from that trade will be gone. I guarantee it will come and go in a blink. And some people think we have a lifetime to play it safe & conservative, sit back and pick & choose... That's total non-sense. The window is closing, and we need a quarterback. Because I promise the talent we have now, the core we have now, is much better than the core we'll have in 2017 or 2018.

Considering it will take a year or two for our QB to adjust, to really get a taste of the post-season and understand what it takes to go on a SB run, I'd say we have to make our move RIGHT NOW. Not when it's freaking convenient for us. Because when that time comes, it's gonna be too damn late.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know you are with Winston but you said you'd do the same thing for Mariota. I think you have QB fever right now. Not to mention overestimating this team's depth and quality of starters.

I'm not sold that Mariota will be great but I think he's Alex Smith with Kaepernick's legs. Which is more than enough for us to contend. I'm just not sure if he'll progress above that.

I'm not overestimating our quality of starters. We're young and yet we have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. The depth could use improvement but we should have cap room and other draft picks to address that with. Two picks(1st and a 2nd) aren't going to kill our depth.

I think there is a solid foundation with which to work but I don't think this team is a QB away and can mortgage what's left of their 2015 draft to roll the dice on a QB du jour. Yes, the Giants made it work but wouldn't you say that's a very big exception to the rule?

No, I don't think it is. I don't think there is a rule. Bad teams shouldn't do it. But this isn't a bad team.

This team is a QB away.

Like I said, if the right guy falls, take 'em. But no way should or can the Rams afford to spend two 1st's and a 2nd on a roll of the dice. Because that's the other thing, we have to look at the history of this regime in taking QB's too. Do they have much of a track record when it comes to identifying a college QB that will pan out in the pro's? It doesn't really seem like it to me. If Bill Polian or Ron Wolf was making the pick, okay maybe it's worth the risk. Fisher and Co.?

The whole right guy falls philosophy doesn't work when nobody falls and you're left with nothing at the QB position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I just don't understand why Davis vs Hill is still being discussed so intensely. Neither guy is the answer. I thought we all knew this weeks ago.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not sold that Mariota will be great but I think he's Alex Smith with Kaepernick's legs. Which is more than enough for us to contend. I'm just not sure if he'll progress above that.

I'm not overestimating our quality of starters. We're young and yet we have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. The depth could use improvement but we should have cap room and other draft picks to address that with. Two picks(1st and a 2nd) aren't going to kill our depth.

Make the deal jrry, I'm tired of coming up short at Quarterback! Make the Deal!
hill.jpg

moklerman

Warner-phile
Well this regime hasn't really draf5tred a QB, they relied on Bradford, which was a mistake, and brought in Hill which for a move to add a backup isn;t bad.

My feeling is they should have stuck with Davis for the rest of the year.

Because refs like him.
Whether drafted or otherwise, they've brought in Clemens, Davis, Gilbert, Hill...seems like someone else too. Not an impressive list nonetheless.

I'm going to do my best to not get too vested in what this regime does moving forward though. They are a conservative offense, defense first unit and that's not really my thing. I like to have some offense and this group is just never going to provide that. Even if Bradford was healthy, I'm pretty sure they'd throttle things down more than stomping on the opposition's throat so to speak.

I get all worked up about Schottenheimer and the receivers and the QB's and the offense but I tend to forget that they just aren't interested in putting up a lot of points or pressuring the other team's defense. They want to score just enough to not be losing. I want them to establish big leads and blow out wins.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Where to begin....?
I'm a defensive guy, lets start there....Terrible game plan...Allowed too many easy passes in the second half..@Alan said it best, no adjustments at the half to improve chances of winning.....Oh I got it right here...
Execution is important but not adapting to what's happening on the field and misuse of resources is what I know him for. Same thing with GW. Just once, I'd like to see our D play better, not just as good, in the second half. The same can be said about the O when you take away the prevent D's that skew our O stats in our favor.
Just made it too easy for Rivers to move the ball....Now, poor tackling, that's an execution thing....But why give up a 4th & a 6th for Mark Barron and leave him on the bench most of the game...We didn't play bad on defense, but we could have made winning more possible....Are we attacking only through the blitZ??? That seems silly given our personnel....Silly...Leaving men open, allowing a veteran QB room to throw to open wrs...Silly...Mix it up Williams...Play Barron...And players, gotta make tackles....I'd still draft a sideline to sideline LB....We are very inadequate up the middle in today's game...seriously...Still not a fan of Rodney McLeod...misses too many tackles...If Average defense what we want, keep everything the same....
Offense....man, where to begin....Schotty...I do not blame Schotty...Our OC is working with a stacked deck...In the wrong side stacked too...We need better blocking...We need better QB play.....We have to continue to re-build the line...we need to be able to run the ball when EVERYONE knows we're gonna run it...Dominate the LOS....Makes play calling really easy....Know what else helps play-calls? Steady QB...No other way to say it, need one, really need 2, just in case one goes down...I do like 4 in this years draft...I'd take a Winston, Marriota, Hundley, or Petty...They can't be worse than what we already have....We also need 2 linemen...OG...and a RT...I doubt Barksdale is resigned...I wouldn't unless it was a decent bargain...get 2 OL's....early as possible, after the QB & LB.....try to find a center....push Barrett Jones & Rhaney...We need to be able to run the ball, versus GOOD teams....We need a good QB....We need Good QB play....We need better defensive game plans...more creative....not only creatively blitzing, but mixing coverages and such...adjustments.....We need better tackling...Play the athletes...there is a reason Mo Alexander was drafted....Mark Barron was acquired in a trade....
I've never been a fan of Hill...This is who Hill is....Glad I got a chance to see Davis....Now I wanna see Keenum or Gilbert.....No reason to not have 3 viable options for QB on the roster in 2015 and beyond....and if we can get all that, this team is so close...Again, another great game to watch, terrible to lose...I hurts....But just the hope of how close we are...this team will turn the corner....

PS....I'd take another WR....low round find...Think DGB will be around in the 5th?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just don't understand why Davis vs Hill is still being discussed so intensely. Neither guy is the answer. I thought we all knew this weeks ago.

Davis would have won this game because the refs like him.

They hate Hill obviously. Didn't you see them look in his direction every time they threw a flag.

It was like they were telling him "you are the Yugo of QB's".

Anyway that's my takeaway from the game today. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.