OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think all five positions are wrong. IMO, the top OLs at each position are:
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: T.J. Lang
C: J.C. Tretter
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Ricky Wagner
Would you like to see the rams spend money for two of these guys? And if so which one or two?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Almost all of the LT options available have injury concerns, and Albert is no exception. He's just as fragile as Saffold. His play really fell off a cliff last season, can he pick it up? Idk. I'm at the very least interested in him though. Doesn't hurt for the Rams to take a look.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No Havenstein?
No he has to hold up the starting RT posts. Rob Havenstein is a single post OL'er. He was built to play right tackle only. He could never be a starting or reserve NFL LT.

Of my Ram list of LT's Training Camp prospects. All of my listed LT prospects have had some RT play in their past. Lets say & guess that new Ram OL coach Aaron Kromer decides @ the end of Pre season that Rodger Saffold is by far the best performing LT candidate & prospect. Kromer awards RS the post assignment, After all RS has over 45 NFL starts @ LT. But as you know the big issue is RS the injury issue. So Kromer is bound to spend as much time working on his new reserve LT as his starter will have to be ready & is just as important.

If the next two best LT performance come from Pace Murphy & Andrew Donnal then both can back up LT & RT posts. In addition Andrew Donnal (who was the only improved 2016 Ram Ol'er) can also fill the back up roles @ OG. Then there's the lurking presence of GRob. I find Pace Murphy an interesting project. He has some of the size that @jrry32 has posted about that Kromer desires.

May be a good time to say "Keep an eye on Pace Murphy' who was from Northwestern State-Louisiana was not all that bad in cameo performances. Pace was said to totally lack the feet to or edge protection talent to play tackle period. However when you do watch him you clearly see some things.

Murphy was able to grasp onto his defender with surprising strong hands in his blocks & was able to get some push too. Guess what was most unforeseen was Pace remained in good position & for a super nice kid had a bit of a mauler in him along & flashed unexpected better agility. Pace worked mainly @ LT in TC & pre season but very late logged NFL snaps @ RT. It will be interesting to see what Ted Rath our new Strength and Conditioning coach can do with the young very smart kid.

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Stephon Gilmore looking for top-five CB money
7442.jpg

WGR 550 Buffalo's Sal Capaccio reports impending free agent CB Stephon Gilmore is looking for top-five cornerback money on a long-term contract.

Josh Norman is currently the league's highest-paid corner at $15 million per year, while Darrelle Revis landed a position-best 55.6 percent ($39 million) guaranteed when he returned to the Jets. Last summer it was reported Gilmore wanted Norman money, and it sounds like he's still aiming for that due to the inflation of the salary cap. The franchise tag is expected to come in at around $14.31 million. The Bills would likely have to clear some money to tag Gilmore.
Source: WGR 550 Buffalo
Feb 17 - 9:49 AM

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd definitely talk to Zeitler and Tretter. Depends on what they're asking.

Because of you, I started looking into UFA Green Bay Packer JC Tretter. I found out that J.C Tretter was a LT in college & a 4th rd 2013 pick. His rookie season he broke his lower leg & tore ankle ligaments & was Pup'd then IR then activated late December played in zero games zero starts.

In 2014 he was injured early in pre season MCL/knee. he was IR'd & once again activated in November to suit up for 8 games but zero starts. In 2015 he played his only full season & started just 3 games for the Packers due to injury. In 2016 he started the first 7 games @ center but then injured his knee again & was IR's for the rest of the season & had surgery back in January of this year.

So an OL'er who is a center, who has been on IR'd 3 of his 4 first NFL seasons & started only 10 games has a market value according to Spotac Tretter has Market Value to a near 9 million a year:shocked:. Can you help me out on what am I missing here? Until you mentioned him I had never heard his name before.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/j.c.-tretter-12403/market-value/

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because of you, I started looking into UFA Green Bay Packer JC Tretter. I found out that J.C Tretter was a LT in college & a 4th rd 2013 pick. His rookie season he broke his lower leg & tore ankle ligaments & was Pup'd then IR then activated late December played in zero games zero starts.

In 2014 he was injured early in pre season MCL/knee. he was IR'd & once again activated in November to suit up for 8 games but zero starts. In 2015 he played his only full season & started just 3 games for the Packers due to injury. In 2016 he started the first 7 games @ center but then injured his knee again & was IR's for the rest of the season & had surgery back in January of this year.

So an OL'er who is a center, who has been on IR'd 3 of his 4 first NFL seasons & started only 10 games has a market value according to Spotac Tretter has Market Value to a near 9 million a year:shocked:. Can you help me out on what am I missing here? Until you mentioned him I had never heard his name before.

Spotrac's market value calculation is still a major work in progress. His market value isn't anywhere near $9 million per year. I'd offer him $6 million per year, but with his injury history, I won't be surprised if he gets a short-term "prove it" type deal at around $4 million per year.

What are you missing? Yes, he has a terrible injury history. But he's also an All Pro caliber Center who can play any position on the OL at a starting caliber level. He could be a serviceable starting LT or RT. He could be a Pro Bowl caliber OG (in a ZBS). And he can be an All Pro caliber Center. He's a technically sound OL with great movement skills, body control, and a very high football IQ (kid went to Cornell). He has average strength/power. But the rest of the skill-set is there.

Is there a big injury risk with him? Yep. But I think his talent merits taking that risk. Frankly, the injury history will drive his cost down and minimize the risk when compared to his talent level.

FWIW, here's a breakdown of why I like Tretter that I wrote in the past:
Tretter has the athleticism, footwork, technical skill, ability to mirror, and football IQ to play LT at the NFL level. He has just enough length at 6'4" with 33.4" arms. Honestly, he likely won't be more than serviceable at LT. His average functional strength and well below average length means that some DEs will be able to push him around. However, Tretter is a great fit for a ZBS, he's a highly intelligent OL, he's well-coached in terms of technique, and he's a great blocker on the second level and in space.

Ultimately, Tretter could give us solid enough play at LT for a year or two while we find our long-term answer. Then he can slide inside and provide high quality play. The other big upside is if the new coaching staff gets through to Greg and he improves, we can slide Tretter inside to Center or Guard immediately. The one big risk here is that Tretter has a long injury history. Still, I'm willing to take that risk considering my belief that he's a viable option at LT in the short-term at a very reasonable price with the ability to be a quality interior OL in the future.

Basically, Tretter offers us a lot of value because he could step in and solve our problem at Center, or if Greg doesn't improve, he could slide out and hold us over at LT.

Yes, there's a very real risk he'll get injured, but that's why you have depth.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Free agency fits: Eric Berry to Titans? Alshon Jeffery to Rams?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-eric-berry-to-titans-alshon-jeffery-to-rams

• Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpg
  • By Elliot Harrison
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Feb. 15, 2017 at 01:16 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 16, 2017 at 12:27 p.m.

The football arced beautifully through the night air, traveling about 36 yards before hitting Jamison Crowder in stride, allowing the Redskins receiver to convert a crucial third down and essentially ice thePackers. Kirk Cousins was putting the finishing touches on a 375-yard evening, in the midst of a boffo season that nearly got him into the 5,000-yard club. That came two weeks before Eric Berry beat theFalcons with the rare pick-two (his second interception-return score of the game). One week later,Le'Veon Bell racked up a whopping 298 total yards on the Bills' snow-covered defense.
All three of these men could be playing tag in the coming days.

Yes, we've reached the offseason period where NFL teams can slap franchise (or transition) tags on players. And that could be the fate for these three potential headliners of this year's free-agent crop -- much to their chagrin, as all three guys are looking to cash in on the open market. In fact, Berry has flat-out declared that he will not play under the franchise tag for a second consecutive season.

That said, nothing is guaranteed in this league, so it's worth exploring what could happen if these guys are there for the taking. And of course, these aren't the only enticing names in this year's free agency frenzy.

So which notable players could be signing new deals in new towns when free agency opens on March 9? And where could they be headed? We pontificate below, Nostradamusing what might happen to 10 big-name guys, including the aforementioned trio. As always, your take is welcome: @HarrisonNFL is the place.

Kirk Cousins, quarterback

Potential fits: Redskins, 49ers, Browns.

Cousins will, barring a major surprise, end up with the Redskins -- either via the franchise tag (again) for $24 million or under a long-term deal that won't come much cheaper per year. But major surprisesdo happen every so often, so who else could be out there? The Browns and 49ers could make sense.

Long-starved for a franchise quarterback, the Browns have tons of money -- as in, the most cap space in the league, according to OverTheCap.com. They also have enough draft capital that the blow for handing over two first-round picks (the price for signing a player under the non-exclusive franchise tag, should the Redskins go that route with Cousins) would be softened a tad. Trading down in last year's draft -- allowing the Eagles to nab Carson Wentz -- provided the Browns with a gaggle of picks. That said, paying multiple first-round picks for Cousins wouldn't seem to fit into Cleveland's Moneyball approach. Not to mention, adding Cousins would be highly unusual unless the Browns are completely scrapping the RGIII project, given that Cousins was Griffin's former caddy in D.C.

The 49ers have a ton of available cap space, as well, should Jed York sign off on using it. They also have a brand new offensive-minded head coach who was part of the process of drafting Cousins three rounds after RGIII back in his Washington days. Kyle Shanahan surely would like nothing more than to start his new gig with an established QB who can handle his run-on-sentence-long play calls. New Niners general manager John Lynch is a fan of Cousins, as well.

Likely that the Redskins let Cousins walk? No. Worth two first-round picks? Did you watch the quarterbacks in the Super Bowl?

Le'Veon Bell, running back

Potential fits: Steelers, Buccaneers, Jaguars.

Like Cousins, Bell almost certainly will get franchise-tagged. Unlike the quarterback, though, this running back wouldn't draw a pair of first-round picks from anyone. Nothing against him or his versatile skill set. It's just, well, over the past four drafts, we've seen a grand total of three running backs go in Round 1 (Ezekiel Elliott, Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon). So forget about someone giving up two first-rounders. Not to mention, Bell has encountered some off-field issues that make his availability a concern. Lastly, RB shelf life is like milk shelf life -- and Bell already has an injury history.

Yet, if the Steelers know something we don't and allow Bell to hit the open market without using the franchise tag, two teams should pounce: the Jags and Bucs.

Jacksonville has plenty of cap space -- and hasn't fielded even a top-20 run game since my colleague Maurice Jones-Drew led the league in rushing back in 2011. Also, Bell's pass-catching prowess certainly would significantly help the development of QB Blake Bortles. The addition of Bell wouldn't render last offseason's signing of Chris Ivory moot, either -- the big man could still be used situationally.

Meanwhile, the Bucs need an every-down back. Doug Martin is enduring personal challenges off the field and will be suspended for the first four games of 2017. Jacquizz Rodgers, who gave the team a nice boost last season, is a free agent. The offense has talented youngsters in Jameis Winston, Mike Evans and Cameron Brate, but Bell would give the unit a whole other dimension. Throw in an emerging defense, and we could be talking about an instant contender. The Bucs have a healthy amount of cap space, too.

Eric Berry, safety

Potential fits: Titans, Browns, Raiders.

If Kansas City can't get a long-term deal done -- like the Vikings did with Harrison Smith and the Cardinals managed with Tyrann Mathieu last offseason -- why wouldn't a team make a bold move and pay Berry like the top-flight player he is? The safety would be a fantastic coup for the Titans -- and a fun toy to play with for DC Dick LeBeau (who made the Hall of Fame as a DB, by the way). Then there's the Browns, sitting on that pile of cash, inserting sabermetrics into their analytics processor -- the same concoction that said no dice on retainingTashaun Gipson last year. Would Berry's all-around play (five takeaways, three scores and 77 tackles in 2016) influence a different line of thinking in the Haslam halls? New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has said he thinks the organization will be "aggressive" in acquiring personnel. Berry would alter the tenor of that defense.

Granted, this is a stretch -- call it fun speculation -- but why can't the Raiders kick the tires on Berry? Upgrade a position while taking away from a division rival? Team brass missed out last offseason onEric Weddle, who left the Chargers to make a huge difference in Baltimore. Oakland did sign Reggie Nelson, but he'll be 34 in September. A few more potential fits for Berry: Colts, Panthers, Bears,Redskins, Jags.

Alshon Jeffery, wide receiver

Potential fits: Rams, 49ers, Buccaneers.

Jeffery is another player who could get the tag slapped on him (again), but that appears to be a far less likely outcome for the Bears receiver than for the guys above. Jeffery has been an off-and-on player in Chicago. And given that the Bears just paid him $14,599,000 in 2016 (under the franchise designation) for 52 catches and two touchdowns, it's hard to believe they'd play tag again. But then again, look at their depth chart at receiver.

If the Bears let him walk -- as most anticipate -- the Rams, 49ers and Bucs could make a play.

Los Angeles' top outside performer last year was Kenny Britt, who is a free agent. Jared Goff can't succeed with only Sean McVay at his side -- although the new head coach is practically Britt's age. The49ers have the second-most cap space to the Browns, according to OverTheCap.com, and could use a big target for whoever plays quarterback in San Francisco next season. Putting Jeffery on one side would definitely make Torrey Smith more effective on the other. Lastly, the Bucs could use anotherVincent Jackson (who is now a free agent -- and 34 years old). A big-bodied duo of Evans and Jeffery would be quite tough to defend, especially in the red zone.

Dont'a Hightower, linebacker

Potential fits: Colts, Redskins, Raiders.

Well, we discussed Berry donning the Silver and Black above. That might not merely be speculation, but rampantspeculation. However, Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie has stated that inside linebacker is "a hole that we have to fill."Oakland won't be sleepless letting go of ex-Seattle linebacker Malcolm Smith. Enter Hightower, who would join a so-so defense with more raw talent than production (at this point, anyway).

Meanwhile, the Colts must rebuild the defense straight up the middle, and have the dollars to do so.

Perhaps the most interesting match, though, would be the Redskins, who have lacked the type of defensive leadership in the ILB spot Hightower could bring since London Fletcher hung 'em up. The 'Skins are in their best cap shape in years, yet have several important free agents in their own driveway to consider first: Cousins, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garçon ...

Most importantly: The Colts, Redskins and Raiders all gave up at least 4.5 yards per carry in 2016.

A.J. Bouye, cornerback

Potential fits: Lions, Saints, Browns.

Bouye is another player who easily could be tagged. It'd make plenty of sense. The Texans have developed this former undrafted free-agent signee (in the Gary Kubiak administration) into quite a player -- why allow the 25-year-old to take prime years elsewhere? Houston head coach Bill O'Brien has said the franchise wants him back. But if the Texans do decide to tag Bouye, that means they would be paying approximately 14 million bucks for a guy who has been a premier corner for all of one season. Pretty steep. He wouldn't make near that much per year in a long-term deal.

Thus, Bouye could be sitting on the market for the Lions, Saints or Browns. This past season, Cleveland gave up the most passing touchdowns, New Orleans the most passing yards. And Detroit allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete an astounding 72.7 percent of their passes.

Martellus Bennett, tight end

Potential fits: Colts, Rams, Giants.

I was tempted to put the Bears andCowboys in "Potential fits," just to make sure you're reading with purpose, but I have faith in my audience! (Despite some of the scorched-earth commentary that tends to appear in the comments section below.) Bennett has been around the league, experiencing varying degrees of success, but he really came into his own as a complete team player in New England this past season. Maybe there was some maturation, maybe he bought into "the Patriot Way," maybe he enjoyed playing alongside another physical freak at the position in Rob Gronkowski (well, for half a season). Now, no one is really sure what the Patriots are planning to do with Bennett (... and Jimmy Garoppolo andDont'a Hightower, for that matter). What we do know is that they almost certainly will not match what some team with plenty of space is willing to offer. Not with the variety of people New England uses in the passing game, and the (hopeful) return to full health of Gronk.

The Colts might be that team, given that Dwayne Allen has yet to take the next step to Bennett's level, and Jack Doyle is a free agent. The Rams must acquire talent for Jared Goff. And after seeing the way McVay maximized Jordan Reed (and even Vernon Davis) with the Redskins, why not scoop up Bennett? Tell me his personality wouldn't fit in L.A.

Interesting side note: Bennett has indicated he'd be open to returning to the Giants. With the recent releases of Victor Cruz and Rashad Jennings, why not spend some dough on the TE?

Jason Pierre-Paul, defensive end

Potential fits: Giants, Lions, Dolphins.

Of all the impending free agents, JPP might be the most intriguing. That guy proved a lot of people wrong last year -- those skeptics who thought he wouldn't be able to compete with that hand mangled by the fireworks accident. Here's the deal: The Giants absolutely could use Pierre-Paul back on the line, playing at the same level he did in 2016. For all the Odell Beckham Jr. love, Big Blue finished 26th in points scored -- and second in points allowed. How about that?

The Lions also could use a pass rusher like JPP, as they amassed just 26 sacks (worst in the NFC). Detroit could have won the NFC North if the secondary didn't allow opponents a 106.5 passer rating, easily the highest mark in the league. The Dolphins would be an appropriate fit, given that Mario Williams disappointed last season and almost certainly won't be back. Not to mention Miami's top edge rusher, Cameron Wake, is in his mid-30s. Executive VP Mike Tannenbaum is not afraid to make a splash in free agency.

DeSean Jackson, wide receiver

Potential fits: Eagles, Titans, Rams.

There's been plenty of speculation about Jackson returning to Philadelphia.Brandon Graham's giddy thinking about it. Football insiders are mumbling about it. And everyone knows the Eagles could use their old field stretcher again. Ideally, they'll be in the market for Jackson, Jeffery or one of the other top free-agent wideouts, but can they afford it? That's the question. The Eagles are not in the best financial position to acquire high-priced free agents. But theTitans are -- and could really use a guy to take the top off the defense. Making safeties hyper-aware of a player like Jackson would A) create wider throwing windows for Marcus Mariota and B) lighten the box for a team that loves to run the football.

As mentioned in blurbs above, the Rams must provide some support for Goff -- unfortunately, thanks to Goff, they don't have as many draft picks to do so. As Jackson's OC in Washington the last three years, McVay knows the wideout's merits as well as anyone. (His drawbacks, too.) And despite Tavon Austin's speed, his game has not been vertical at the NFL level.

Dontari Poe, defensive tackle

Potential fits: Titans, 49ers, Bengals.

Not seeing much written about Poe potentially ending up in Tennessee. OK, but here's what we doknow: Jon Robinson's Titans are not afraid to make big offseason moves, as evidenced by last year's trade for DeMarco Murray. As much as the Chiefs might want to retain Poe, they won't have the funds to pay him, Berry and Charles this offseason. In fact, given that they are near the bottom of the barbecue pit in available cap dollars (according to OverTheCap.com), the Chiefs might only be able to pay Berry.

Poe could get paid in Nashville, playing an important role in LeBeau's defense a few miles up Interstate 40 from where he played his college ball. Staying in the AFC, the Bengals need to replace long-time veteran Domata Peko in the middle of that defense. Poe would be an instant upgrade, allowing Vontaze Burfict to run free and make plays. The 49ers could replace another former Chief (Glenn Dorsey) with Poe, who would start alongside the team's top picks from each of the last two drafts (Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner). The Raiders and Colts are other possibilities for the big man.

Zero

Pro Bowler
RANKING THE 10 BEST WIDE RECEIVERS ABOUT TO HIT FREE AGENCY
Even after a down 2016 season, Chicago's Alshon Jeffery remains at the top of the 2017 free-agent WR crop.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-the-best-wide-receivers-about-to-hit-free-agency/
JOHN KOSKO | 8 HOURS AGO
GettyImages-488050102-300x282.jpg

(Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

For teams looking to add talent to their receiving corps this offseason, the pending free-agent crop provides some intriguing options. Here we run down the list of the top wide receivers set to hit the open market in 2017.

1. Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears (77.6 overall grade in 2016)
Grading at an elite level in an injury-depleted 2015, Jeffery had high expectations under the franchise tag in 2016 that he didn’t live up to. Injured again for four games this past season, Jeffery recorded a career-high drop rate of 8.77 and his lowest catch rate since his rookie year, at 56.5 percent. Also recording a career-low in touchdowns, Chicago quarterbacks threw seven interceptions when targeting the former South Carolina Gamecock. Jeffery just turned 27 years old, and when healthy, he can be a dominant wide receiver. Staying healthy, though, is key, and his injury history will dampen the market for him, but his ability and size will still land him a sizable contract this offseason.

2. Terrelle Pryor, Cleveland Browns (78.6)
Terrelle Pryor was grading as a top-10 WR before the Browns’ bye week and Robert Griffin III took over starting duties. Pryor and RG3 never landed on the same page, and the wide receiver’s production and grade took a hit, but the former Ohio State Buckeye still made the transition from failed pro QB to WR extremely well. Whether he stays in Cleveland or signs elsewhere, Pryor has shown to be a dominant force outside, and the sky is the limit for him if he has a stable quarterback situation. With remarkably natural hands, Pryor dropped just six passes (two in a game in which he tore ligaments in his thumb) and averaged 1.9 yards per route run over the first 12 weeks of the season.

3. DeSean Jackson, Washington Redskins (77.0)
DeSean Jackson continues to be a big-play threat player in the NFL, as he has averaged over 17 yards per reception each of the past three seasons, with his 17.9 mark ranking third in the league in 2016. His ability to take the top off a defense is still one of the best in the NFL, and presents a danger any time he is on the field. Jackson has never developed a complete WR skill-set, likely because he didn’t need to early on in his career. Jackson will enter the 2017 season at the age of 30, so his production could decline, and his age will dampen his market. Regardless, Jackson still possesses game-changing speed and deep-receiving ability, and teams needing that extra element to their offense will come calling.

4. Pierre Garçon, Washington Redskins (85.8)
Pierre Garçon has been a quietly-good WR the past five seasons, despite gaining over 1,000 yards just twice in that span. Cracking a 70 percent catch rate in 2016 and averaging over 13 yards per reception for the first time since 2012, Garçon turned in the best season of his career. While the former Mount Union Raider will be 31 in 2016, his consistently good play will increase his market. Garçon is a complete wideout and is able to win in a variety of ways. With sure hands and consistent production for five straight seasons, any team looking to add an immediate, short-term starter would be hard-pressed to find a better player than Garçon.

5. Kenny Britt, Los Angeles Rams (76.5)
With Jared Goff and Case Keenum throwing passes to him, Kenny Britt gained over 1,000 receiving yards this past season. Britt has produced consistently-solid play in his career, but has never been a heavily-targeted receiver until 2016, when he topped 100 targets for the first time (109). Britt will turn 29 shortly after the 2017 season begins, but considering that his usage has been low throughout his career, his longevity might extend further than most. If Britt can produce at a solid level with the mess he dealt with in 2016, teams should see upside in the former first-round pick from Rutgers.

6. Kendall Wright, Tennessee Titans (74.6)
Wright has been a forgotten player for Tennessee the past two years, as he and QB Marcus Mariota haven’t fully connected. Injuries have set him back in that time, as well, but if healthy, Wright is one of the best in the league in breaking tackles and gaining yards after the catch. A change of scenery might revive Wright’s career, even if he never does live up to his first-round draft status.

7. Terrance Williams, Dallas Cowboys (74.7)
A solid No. 2/3 WR for Dallas the past four seasons, Terrance Williams likely won’t see the same type of market Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu entered last offseason, but his strong play this past season will get him suitors. Catching 71.6 percent of his targets with just two drops, Williams did see his yards per reception drop to a career low 13.8, due largely to rookie QB Dak Prescott’s 31st-ranked deep-attempt percentage. In fact, Williams saw the fewest number of deep targets in his career in 2016. That said, he showed another element to his game this past season with the ability to catch more passes at the short and intermediate levels.

8. Kenny Stills, Miami Dolphins (74.5)
With Drew Brees throwing Stills passes in 2014, the former Oklahoma Sooner excelled in his second pro season, as he was just 69 yards shy of 1,000 on just 63 catches. In a shocking offseason move, the Saints traded Stills to Miami, and his production took a hit in his first season with Ryan Tannehill as his quarterback. He bounced back in 2016, however, as he averaged 17.2 yards per reception and hauled in nine TDs. Stills has elite speed and has shown that, when utilized correctly, he can be a dangerous weapon.

9. Brandon LaFell, Cincinnati Bengals (75.7)
LaFell has had a pretty average career outside of a surprisingly bad 2015 with the Patriots. The former LSU Tiger found a bit of a resurgence with Andy Dalton under center this past season, as he dropped just two passes and yielded a passer rating of 106.1 when targeted. The concern for LaFell is that in the previous three seasons, he dropped 25 passes, so don’t expect him to suddenly show an excellent pair of hands moving forward. LaFell is a solid, cheap option for teams looking to get value opposite of an already-established WR.

10. Kamar Aiken, Baltimore Ravens (58.6)
Aiken’s 2016 season overall grade of 58.6 is more reflective of a “10 worst” article, but he was badly underused this past year, and earns this spot on the list because of his play in 2015. Injuries within Baltimore’s receivng corps that year forced the former UCF Knight to No. 1 WR status, and he thrived in the role, grading as a top-10 in 2015, showing a good ability to break tackles. Aiken will likely command a very cheap contract this offseason, and has breakout potential if on the right team.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-50-nfl-free-agents-of-2017/

PFF's most recent TOP 50 Ranked UFA's

The annual Free Agent Lists and Rankings are always up for debate depending on the players age, durability history, projected cost/market value and how well they fit within the scheme of the teams interested in their services etc...

Another annual question is how many of the Unrestricted Free Agents will actually make it to the open market bidding war? We all know every year a handful of the listed UFA's could likely end up resigning with their current teams. When you throw in the starting players from 2016 that will be cut for salary cap and other various reasons the list gets bigger the closer we get to March 9th.

March 7: Teams can begin negotiating with "impending" unrestricted free agents, though contracts cannot be completed until March 9

March 9: The league year and free agency begin at 4 p.m. ET. Also, all teams must decide whether to exercise 2017 contact options for all players who have them and must be under the 2017 salary cap. Teams also must submit qualifying offers to their respective restricted free agents should they want to retain right of first refusal/compensation.

Put me in the group that prefers the Rams get aggressive with O-LINE and WR/TE UFA's before any other position group.

(I won't pretend to know exactly how strong each player best fits McVay's offensive scheme but I sure hope the Rams are way more aggressive this year than recent ones.

I'm also in the group that wouldn't mind if McVay and his staff agree to cut bait with these players to free up room to get available UFA's

OL Rodger Saffold $6,190,983 2017 cap hit
TE Lance Kendricks $4,250,000 2017 cap hit

CB Trumaine Johnson $7 to 14 million 2017 cap hit? (depending on him signing a multi-year contract or 1 year franchise tag) Is Tru worth letting walk if it means the Rams could sign an extra UFA on offense and settle for a lesser talented replacement like a 47. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Cincinnati Bengals or 49. Captain Munnerlyn, CB, Minnesota Vikings? Just thinking out loud and pondering the compensation risk-reward scenarios....

Going off of PFF's Top 50 most recent rankings... and assuming none on this list are resigned by their current teams, I would be very disheartened if the Rams can't find a way to get 1 or 2 of them if they were willing to play for Los Angeles for a respectable offer.

9. Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals (Turns 28 on 03/07/2017)

10. T.J. Lang, G, Green Bay Packers (Turns 30 on 09/20/2017)

13. Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears (Turns 28 on 02/14/2018)

16. Andrew Whitworth, T, Cincinnati Bengals(Turns 36 on 12/12/2018)

20. Terrelle Pryor, WR, Cleveland Browns (Turns 28 on 06/20/2017)

21. Larry Warford, G, Detroit Lions (Turns 26 on 06/18/2017)

23. Ronald Leary, G, Dallas Cowboys (Turns 28 on 04/29/2017)

28. Martellus Bennett, TE, New England Patriots (Turns 30 on 03/10/2017)

29. DeSean Jackson, WR, Washington Redskins (Turns 31 on 12/01/2017)

32. Pierre Garçon, WR, Washington Redskins (Turns 31 on 08/08/2017)

35. J.C. Tretter, C, Green Bay Packers (Turns 27 on 02/12/2018)

36. Ricky Wagner, T, Baltimore Ravens (Turns 28 on 10/21/2017)

48. Stefan Wisniewski, C/G, Philadelphia Eagles (Turns 28 on 03/22/2017)

addon.php

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

This is what RotoWorld had to say recently on Tretter :

Packers placed OL J.C. Tretter (MCL) on injured reserve.
Tretter had knee surgery this week. He was already ruled out for the postseason. A free agent, 25-year-old Tretter will likely have to settle for one-year offers. Jan 21 - 4:11 PM

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I read this a bit ago...It's basically a rehash but kind of puts it together..The mention of what to do with Austin is Deja vu all over again (sorry Yoga but I love that one)...Maybe this new staff can figure him out...After Jeffrey I'm not sure how I would rank the others...Quick is all but gone hopefully and I like Britt but I don't know if he would be the best they can do at the #2, assuming they go after a #1...

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams have a wide receiver problem. They've had one for nearly a decade. They've had one, perhaps, since Torry Holt's 1,189-yard season in 2007. For the next eight years, the Rams didn't have a single player who caught for 800 yards, let alone 1,000. The streak finally ended with Kenny Britt, who notched a career-high 1,002 receiving yards -- despite hauling in only 61.8 percent of his targets -- in 2016.

Britt is headed for free agency now, as is Brian Quick, the former No. 33 overall pick who hasn't quite panned out. And it's up to a new staff, led by the offensive-minded Sean McVay, to ameliorate the Rams' longtime problem area, both with the scheme and through free agency.

Tavon Austin, who was given a four-year, $42 million extension weeks before the 2016 season. Behind him are Bradley Marquez, who has made most of his contributions on special teams, and five players coming off rookie seasons in which they barely played: Pharoh Cooper, Paul McRoberts, Marquez North, Nelson Spruce and Mike Thomas. But the Rams are expected to have about $40 million in salary-cap space, and several intriguing options will exist in free agency.

McVay seeks "guys that handle the ball in general."

"You can't have enough playmakers," McVay said. "Certainly, that's something that we're always looking to upgrade. That receiver position is very important. A lot of yards and offensive production goes through that room. We want to try to find a way to get the best players on the field."

Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Terrelle Pryor, Kenny Stills and Robert Woods are in line to be among the best receivers available, along with Britt.

But the most important work for the Rams could come in-house, in getting more out of the quick, elusive, 5-foot-8 Austin.

The Rams drafted Austin eighth overall in 2013 after a highly successful run at West Virginia, but he has totaled only 2,610 yards from scrimmage over the past four seasons, a mark topped by 85 players. Some of that might be on Austin, but the offense he's been a part of also shoulders plenty of blame. And the new staff is hopeful of tapping into more of his dynamic skill set, as a receiver, a punt returner and, occasionally, a running back.

McVay identified Austin as "a guy that you want to move all over the formation."

The Rams did that last season, but they probably didn't give him enough carries. Austin had a career year in 2015, with 473 yards through the air and another 434 on the ground. He caught for a career-high 509 yards in 2016, but he rushed for only 159 yards, his carries dropping from 52 to 28. Zac Taylor, the new assistant receivers coach who will work under Eric Yarber, called Austin an "explosive, dynamic receiver and tough runner."

"Any time you have a guy with that skill set, it's fun to look at what you can do creatively, utilize him in an offense," Taylor said. "I'm excited to work with him."

The Rams have a similar player in Cooper, a fourth-round pick out of South Carolina who can be very versatile and a real threat after the catch. Spruce, a heralded undrafted free agent who was never able to play last season, could become a solid possession receiver. And Thomas, a sixth-round pick, might eventually stretch the field vertically if he develops properly.

But they all have some growing to do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ers-rams-buccaneers/nj7vroh1jjti1itzl7udtnwd0

Alshon Jeffery's 5 best free agency fits do not include Eagles
Vinnie Iyer

alshon-jeffery-110716-getty-ftr_12s7isyvf8v2s1ugrh3mus5pql.jpg

(Getty Images)

Alshon Jeffery is the NFL's best free-agent wide receiver in 2017. Unlike the top players at other marquee positions, Jeffery will hit the open market, as his current team, the Bears, are unlikely to franchise tag him for a second consecutive year.

With several teams in desperate need of a No. 1 wideout — and both willing and able to spend for him — there's a good chance Jeffery has played his last down in Chicago.

Teams also will be willing to look past Jeffery's durability concerns and love he fact that he's a 6-3, 216-pound gamebreaker who turned only 27 on Valentine's Day.

But which potential destinations are good matches for Jeffery? Here's a look at his five best fits.

Los Angeles Rams
Tavon Austin gets paid a lot to be a fancy occasional playmaker. Kenny Britt is a free agent. For new coach Sean McVay and Los Angeles to get Jared Goff going, the young quarterback needs a legitimate, all-around wideout.

The Rams have criminally ignored this position for a while, and they can't let that happen again. Jeffery's skill set meshes well with the passing game McVay is bringing from Washington.

Tennessee Titans
Marcus Mariota has made things work as best he can with Rishard Matthews and Delanie Walker as his top targets. But two years in, the red-zone passing ace has been missing that go-to guy who can go up and catch everything.

Jeffery also can provide Tennessee the field-stretching element it needs. With the Titans being around $60 million under the cap and coming off successful veteran spending in 2016, this sounds very good in Music City.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Unlike Mariota, Jameis Winston already has his big No 1 in Mike Evans. But with aging and injured Vincent Jackson not working out as the twin tower No. 2, the Bucs have a major talent void at the position otherwise.

Jeffery can reestablish that post-up position, much like how the emergence of Cameron Brate offset the monster disappointment in Austin Seferian-Jenkins at tight end. Tampa Bay has about as much cap room as Tennessee. The Bucs would be smarter go for the more complete Jeffery than a pure speedster or pure possession guy — like the older Washington free-agent options of DeSean Jackson or Pierre Garcon.

San Francisco 49ers
Can new coach Kyle Shanahan and new general manager John Lynch convince Jeffery to come out West with an uncertain QB situation? That's the trick, but there's no doubt Shanahan, after working with Julio Jones and the Falcons, knows it's critical to have an attention-demanding target to set up complementary, versatile receivers in his diverse passing offense.

Sitting on a gold mine under the cap, the 49ers easily have the means to give Jeffery the money he wants. Combining that move with, say, a trade for Jimmy Garoppolo would be a great coup.

Miami Dolphins
The Dolphins have a coveted free-agent wide receiver of their own in Kenny Stills. Ideally, Miami would like to keep him because he's been highly productive as a deep threat and is only 24. But in-house, their priority needs to be locking up Jarvis Landry for the long term.

That sets up Stills to find a better contract elsewhere, having his pick of system and location. Landry is a terrific player, but he's not a true outside No. 1. With Miami being more than $40 million under the cap, Jeffery isn't a splurge, but rather a stronger all-around investment for coach Adam Gase's offense.

Not the Philadelphia Eagles
Rumors have swirled that the Eagles plan to go after after Jeffery. And it's true that second-year quarterback Carson Wentz needs a bona fide top wideout who isn't slot-limited and inconsistent like Jordan Matthews.

But Philadelphia, only $10 million under the cap, can't afford Jeffery without some creative salary cutting. He's too much of a luxury move for a young offense. The Eagles' better means of adding that No. 1 receiver lies with the No. 15 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I put this in another thread but this is probably the best place for it.

Any under the radar/cheap WRs you guys like in FA? Kind of how we got Britt a few years back on a prove it deal. Maybe Kamar Aiken, Kendall Wright, Andre Holmes, Markus Wheaton, or Marquess Wilson? I dont think most of these guys would be too expensive so wouldnt mind bringing one or two of them in to compete.