Official Rams Coaching Staff 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again it's amazing how you cannot get information about one freaking hire, at McVay's press conference introducing his staff, he stated that one more assistant was being named to assist Fassel, however, they would announce it later.

Reached out on twitter and deal still not finalized...This guy must be something special, it's taking longer with his negations than Wade Phillips.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I've been curious about the Fassel assistant as well Den. I wonder if it's another up and coming young coach that Mcvay wants to have on his staff and he thought he could stash him away under Fassel

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've been curious about the Fassel assistant as well Den. I wonder if it's another up and coming young coach that Mcvay wants to have on his staff and he thought he could stash him away under Fassel

Who knows? Right now it's the best kept secret in Tinsel Town!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Coming from Washington, Waldron to Coach Rams TEs
Myles Simmons/Rams Insider

New tight ends coach Shane Waldron is no stranger to working with head coach Sean McVay. As Washington’s offensive quality control coach in 2016, Waldron had an up close and personal look at how McVay goes about his business as an offensive coordinator.

“I had a great experience with him,” Waldron said in a recent interview with therams.com. “Just being around his leadership, his charisma, his ability to develop relationships with the players, and his ability to motivate the guys, and then, most importantly, his motivation level as a coach is — bar none — the best I’ve ever been around.”

That’s part of why Waldron chose to come to Los Angeles to coach the Rams tight ends under McVay. And Waldron feels it’s those qualities that will help McVay become a high-quality NFL head coach.

“He did an excellent job with our offense,” Waldron said of Washington’s unit, which finished No. 3 overall in 2016. “But then the other things you don’t see outside of the Xs and Os part every day, I thought, were everything you need to be successful in the position he’s been able to obtain.”

As for Waldron, he first broke into the NFL with the Patriots in 2002, first as an operations intern for two seasons before being promoted to operations assistant in 2004. He followed former New England offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to Notre Dame, where he served as a graduate assistant from 2005-2007.

After that, Waldron came back to the Patriots for two more years, where he was the tight ends coach for the 2009 season. With all his experience in New England, Waldron said he picked up plenty from head coach Bill Belichick and the way he runs his program.

“It was a great experience,” Waldron said. “I was around a bunch of great people. And just a chance to see Belichick every day and the way he was able to teach the game — not just form a football standpoint, but from a preparation standpoint and a knowledge standpoint of the history of the game and the current players, what it’s all about and how to get ready to play.

So that was great. And then the luxury of being in the locker room there, with some great leaders and seeing how they went about their business, and won a few games along the way.”

After a few years coaching in college, Waldron returned to the NFL last year in Washington, and now he’s made his way to Southern California. But one of the unique aspects of coaching tight ends is how the position’s players are asked to function as both blockers and receivers.

“I do have the luxury of coaching the offensive line and coaching the receivers in my past, so I have a pretty good mix of the understanding of both aspects of the game,” Waldron said. “And really the desire, and having good people in that room — those guys are really going to be your willing blockers and guys that’ll embrace that role. And then there’s the other guys who have the skillset as receivers.

“It’s a position that’s a jack-of-all-trades position,” Waldron added. “And the exciting thing is our room is built with a bunch of different guys who have a great variety of skills. And those skills can be used in our offense in a bunch of different ways. So it’ll be fun to figure out how they fit with us and how we fit with them.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope we are not bringing in too many people from Washington!! I don't want to be the West Coast Redskins!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay just did a NFL network combine interview. Talks about coaching staff. He is very repetitious with everything he does.
/- is going to count Wade , but also work his way around different groups of needed. Offense is his baby though.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
The one Redskins coach I'm surprised didn't make his way to LA is Wade Phillips son and TE coach Wes Phillips.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Still wonder who he is bringing in as a special teams assistant

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Seriously where did you get this info form? I have been trying to find any information on this for weeks.

Honestly Los Angeles Rams wiki has been updated. He is listed under special teams assistant. So far it has been accurate I dont see any reason why it would be posted haphazard.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
mckenzie.JPG

TYRONE MCKENZIE
  • TITLE

Defensive Assistant
The 2016 season is the first on The Farm for former NFL linebacker Tyrone McKenzie. McKenzie serves as a defensive assistant.

McKenzie joined the Cardinal after a one-year stint as the outside linebackers graduate assistant coach at Colorado. McKenzie worked with the Los Angeles Rams’ outside linebackers and special teams as a contingent hire during the 2016 summer months.

McKenzie was selected in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots before suffering an ACL injury as a rookie. He played five seasons in the NFL with the Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Minnesota Vikings. McKenzie was selected as a Pro Bowl special teams player in 2012.

McKenzie started his collegiate career at Michigan State, where he played as a true freshman in 2004. He left to return home and take care of his mother, returning to play at Iowa State, where in 2006 he was eighth nationally in tackles (129) and named to the AP All-Big 12 second team.

McKenzie was a two-time All-Big East selection -- and unanimous in 2008 --while concluding his career at South Florida. In 2007, he set the school record with 121 tackles and added 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and a blocked kick. The following season, he once again led the Bulls with 116 tackles (third in South Florida history) to set a school record with a combined 237 tackles in consecutive seasons.

At the completion of his college career, he was the NCAA’s second-best active leader in career tackles/game (5.5).

McKenzie coached the 2013 season as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Edina High School (Minn.) and spent the 2014 season as linebackers coach at Berkeley Prep (Fla.).

McKenzie earned his degree in business economics from South Florida in 2008.

http://www.gostanford.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934&path=football