Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know its not a common sentiment, but I have respect for Kelly. He clearly wants to be an NFL coach and is willing to step back career wise to be able to make step forward later. He could have easily taken a college HC job paying top $$ if he wanted.
I think a couple years as an OC will put him back on track. Don't necessarily want him with the Rams though

I don't see Kelly as a fit at OC. He runs a system that isn't similar to other NFL systems. His philosophy isn't similar to the philosophies of most NFL coaches. Who is he going to work under? An offensive coach isn't going to run Kelly's scheme, and a defensive coach likely won't be okay with Kelly's philosophy (tempo).

I think Kelly either needs to adapt (which he seems to refuse to do) or head back to college.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Unless the team he OC for has an Atlanta Falcons type offensive year, I think he's got a good 3,4 years before he would be NFL HC considered again

Agreed. But perhaps more importantly since we have an actual top offensive mind running our team it won't matter. Rams are going to be smart on offense under this dude moving forward, and as long as he's got Wade Phillips on the defensive side they'll be smart there too.

Les is up to bat now tbh. He's the one who has to live up to things now by loading this roster for them the right way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Kelly as a fit at OC. He runs a system that isn't similar to other NFL systems. His philosophy isn't similar to the philosophies of most NFL coaches. Who is he going to work under? An offensive coach isn't going to run Kelly's scheme, and a defensive coach likely won't be okay with Kelly's philosophy (tempo).

I think Kelly either needs to adapt (which he seems to refuse to do) or head back to college.
That's my point, I think he is going to adapt. I don't think wherever he would OC would immediately turn the keys over to him. Tempo aside, he runs a hybrid spread which is becoming more and more common in the NFL. I think he could be a good OC. Just don't want him in LA

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my point, I think he is going to adapt. I don't think wherever he would OC would immediately turn the keys over to him. Tempo aside, he runs a hybrid spread which is becoming more and more common in the NFL. I think he could be a good OC. Just don't want him in LA

Eh, not really. Teams are implementing spread concepts (which is part of the evolution of schemes), but almost every team's base scheme comes from one of the major three (E-P System, WCO, or Air Coryell). The only two exceptions that I can really think of right now are Adam Gase, Mike McCoy, and Jim Bob Cooter.(but their schemes are more amalgamations of different NFL schemes than true hybrid spread schemes in Kelly's vein)

Chip's scheme really isn't similar. And it's super simplistic, which makes it predictable. He attempted to trump the predictability with tempo, but it hasn't worked that well at the NFL level.

If he adapts, he stands a chance. But that means joining an offensive-minded HC and learning how to implement/run a real NFL scheme. I'm not sure he's willing to do that (because of pride and ego).

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Les is up to bat now tbh. He's the one who has to live up to things now by loading this roster for them the right way.

whatever.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he adapts, he stands a chance. But that means joining an offensive-minded HC and learning how to implement/run a real NFL scheme. I'm not sure he's willing to do that (because of pride and ego).

That's the crux of it really. So if McVay were to hire him, it tells me they've had the appropriate conversations and Kelly understands he's gonna be running McVay's system.

I think Kelly has value as an offensive mind. He clearly is still hanging around the NFL, vice jumping back to college, well at least for now, so it seems like he wants to prove he can get it done at this level. I don't think he's stupid, or necessarily stuck in his ways if he does hang around in the NFL and signs on under an offensive guy. And I will give him credit that the dude does have an appropriate appreciation for the run game.

Of course I used that as a far fetched example of how McVay might surprise everyone with who he brings in. I don't really think Kelly is the guy or anything. But I do think McVay is going to surprise, from that OC hire on to what the Rams look like next year. I think this dude is legit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Wade's son is coming over, it's the one spot that fits.

I agree although the Rams have taken several assistants from the Redskins everything points to Wes Phillips as OC.

I don't think Wade's son will be the OC. Skins have suffered a lot of losses on their staff, so I suspect they'll keep him on.
I think I read where Wes is staying put...
http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/2/2/14490636/redskins-related-coaching-news
  • Mike Jones of the Washington Post also reports that Wes Phillips will be retained as TEs coach

View: https://twitter.com/MikeJonesWaPo/status/827188510989938688?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Wow, surprised on Wes Phillips news. Slightly disappointed, especially with the report I posted from news anchor whose sources suggested he was on his way, but I'm confident in McVay's staffing decisions.

Just glad we have our staff coming together. Next phase: free agency and draft! CANNOT WAIT, my favorite time of year!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wait so there are no other possible OC coaches?...

Well, just read that Taylor will be the Assistant WR Coach, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, surprised on Wes Phillips news. Slightly disappointed, especially with the report I posted from news anchor whose sources suggested he was on his way, but I'm confident in McVay's staffing decisions.

Just glad we have our staff coming together. Next phase: free agency and draft! CANNOT WAIT, my favorite time of year!!

I think the Redskins wouldn't let him go. Assuming that's why we hired Waldron.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He played QB for Callahan in college. And I'm not seeing a role for him bigger than that here, unless it's as the WR Coach. I can't see him being the OC.
GO BIG RED!!!!