Offensive line battle is Rams’ center of attention in camp/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Offensive line battle is Rams’ center of attention in camp
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e7a9ae65-b9ac-5b5b-9a97-b851d44e67d6.html

Tim Barnes is the safe choice in some ways for the Rams. Although he’s not brimming with experience, this is his fifth NFL training camp and he has gotten bigger and stronger over the years.

The University of Missouri product has appeared in 45 regular-season games and has made four starts — which is four more than anybody else competing for the starting center job at Rams Park.

Barrett Jones might be the slight favorite for the job early in training camp. He was highly decorated in college, at Alabama. And the team did invest a fourth-round draft pick in him two years ago.

Injuries have marred Jones’ first two NFL seasons, limiting him to 10 games and just a couple of dozen snaps from scrimmage at center. But he’s healthy now, a smart player who knows what it takes to play the position.

And behind Door No. 3 is Demetrius Rhaney, forever the answer to the trivia question: Who did the Rams draft immediately after Michael Sam in 2014, with the second of back-to-back picks late in the seventh round?

Rhaney, who played at Tennessee State, is quick and athletic. The Rams would like him to get bigger and stronger, but they like his potential. He suffered a season-ending knee injury last August in training camp and spent the year on injured reserve.

With the offseason release of veteran Scott Wells, the starting center when healthy the past three seasons, the job is wide open. Coach Jeff Fisher and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau are in no hurry to make a decision.

“I’m not going to put a date on it or a deadline on it,” Fisher said. “I think it’s important when you’re in these situations that you don’t overwork any of them. We’re going to rotate them and give them the reps. ... When we feel comfortable with it and make a decision, we’ll let you know.”

As was the case during practices in June, the trio of center prospects has been rotating with the starting offense on a practice-by-practice basis. With the start of training camp this year, Barnes worked with the starters Friday, followed by Jones (Saturday) and Rhaney (Sunday).

After a special teams practice Monday, the rotation began anew Tuesday with Barnes working with the starters.

None of the centers has been told how the rotation will be divvied up, or how much playing time they’ll get once the exhibition games start.

All expect that it will take most if not all of the preseason before a decision is reached.

For his part, Barnes doesn’t read much into the fact that he was the starter to begin the rotation.

“Not really,” he said. “It’s one of those things that they’ve been adamant from day one that it’s an open competition. Equal everything. I’m just trying to come out here and play the best I can. Do my best in the film room. Help the other guys involved.”

After entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Baltimore in 2011, Barnes (6 feet 4, 306 pounds) has had to scrap every step of the way. He has sweated out the final cuts every year. And even with the opportunity he has this season, he is taking nothing for granted.

“You go out here and you’re always fighting for the job,” Barnes said. “I like to do things the hard way, apparently.”

Jones, meanwhile, is healthy, fit, and hopeful that his injury problems are behind him.

“I feel good,” he said. “Same broken record. I’m ready. I’m excited. It’s finally here, and I’m happy to be out there competing.”

Jones (6-4, 308) put in the work in the weight room over the offseason and said he has dropped 3 percent in body fat. Although his playing time has been scant in the regular season, Jones has a good feel for the offense and the line-calls a center needs to make during a game.

“It’s the same O-line coach, and it’s a very similar system (under new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti),” Jones said. “So I definitely have a lot of comfort being in the system now my third year. I feel like I’ve learned a lot from year one. I think I’ve adjusted pretty well to the speed of the game.”

As for Rhaney, he suffered his injury while getting bull-rushed blocking on the Rams’ extra point unit in practice last August. He suffered a hyper-extended knee, and in the process Rhaney said his tibia and fibula bones “banged together,” resulting in a fracture.

There was no ligament damage and no surgery. But Rhaney had to use crutches as the injury healed.

At the time, as a seventh-rounder, he was worried the team might try to reach an injury settlement and release him right then and there.

“Yeah, I was,” he said. “But they’ve got some faith in me. I’ve got faith in myself, and I’m gonna make it happen.”

Once the leg healed, Rhaney concentrated on getting stronger and got his bench press up over 400 pounds. Listed at 6-2, 301, he’s shorter than the other two center competitors. But he plays with good leverage.

Things can be tense in such competitions. And sometimes teammates won’t be as helpful or friendly when it comes to winning jobs. But this one has been more than civil so far.

“I think you’ve just got to be professional about it,” Jones said. “It’s not hard for me. You have to ask each guy, but I know I’m really close to those two guys. I’ve known Timmy for a few years now, so I’m real close with him.

“One thing that I think is really mature about it, is we all help each other out. There’s no kind of sabotage, or you want another guy to mess up. We all root each other on and encourage each other because at the end of the day — yeah, we want to make the team obviously (and start) — but we want the team to succeed.”

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Our ENTIRE season is riding on this one competition. That is not an exagerration either by no means. We need an awesome backup also as we had 5 major injuries to all of our teams center's or as I call it our PIVOT position on our team. These men need to be super smart along with super strong and fast with awesome hand fighting ability that our awesome Pro Bowl rookie DT (Aaron Donald) has in spades.

I have to be truthfull and no rose colored RAM glasses and let it be known to those who don't already know , none of these guys are overwhelming by any means. I was begging to draft the Boston College kid who I saw so much in this past draft. We could have still gotten him in the 6th round. I can't believe the shehags let their awesome starting center go in a trade to the Saints for the biggest offensive weapon the Saints have in their stud Tight End. Yet I know the shehags believe their backup center that played I think 4 games last season will be enough to fill the job of their traded Pro Bowl center.

Just as QB's have only 32 starters leaguewide I know you all know we only have 32 starting centers also and so many could'nt play for the best teams in the league. Yes we saw Irving from FSU who was their center this last season in his Senior year as did our own Barrett Jones for Bama as they won National Champs while playing whole season with a Liz Franc foot injury also. Erving or Irving is not ready for primetime yet but we see teams now giving so much more importance to a position as Defenses are specializing in regular or delayed blitzes not from the edges as has happened for years but opening gaps on the gaps on either side of the center A and B and 1 or 2 gaps depending on offenses verbiage.

The defense actually runs their own play to open the hole and get a LB or DB or sometimes a DL through that gap that is closer to the QB than ANY edge rusher. Plus a rusher in the QB's face is much more dangerous than a QB that can roll out to the opposite side of a free rusher and still look downfield or a dumpoff to avoid a sack. The middle rush blitz is being perfected by defenses and every team needs an ALL Star stud center as we saw some getting paid FA big dollars as the Chiefs center going to the Raiders for new unprecedented money.

I've gone too long already but can't stress enough of the importance of not only all offensive lineman's jobs but a new importance of centers now in this league and how colleges don't produce as many Pro Ready guys that don't long snap every play now in college. A true smart ,strong ,quick on his feet and skilled in leverage and hand fighting guy who can take on a double team every play is so very,very rare.

I think we need to add priority to this spot while we are now finally building a true Offensive Line and get the very best guy in all of college with all the scouts we pay watching the whole country. STOP IT with every OL having to play at least 2 positions now. Lets get a guy who is a PURE center through and through and hope he does'nt break down. Here you can have my soapbox back now. I'm very sorry for my rant. I just don't think our guys are ready yet . Barnes after all is said (probably be our starter )and done with, Jones and Rhaney all need to make the final 10 or 11 IF we keep 11 OL. Just have Jones ready to backup as guard or an OT position. JMHO GO RAMS!!!