Offensive, Defensive, and Misc. Ram Stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
How the Rams compare with the rest of the NFL after 2 games.

Offensive Team Passing

# 9 in NFL protecting QB allowing only 3 total sacks.
# 23- with 211 yards per game passing
# 24- 59.32 pass completion percentage
# 13 - 7.2 yards per pass attempt
# 13- 94.4 Quarterback rating

Offensive Team Rushing

# 21 - Rams rush 38.61% of their total offensive plays
# 23- 3.3 yards per rush attempt

Defensive Stats

# 7 - 4.9 yards allowed per play
# 25 - 4.4 yards allowed per rush
# 21 - 98.2 opponent passing rating
# 10 - 6.0 yards allowed per pass attempt
# 2 - 4.0 sacks per game

Misc. Stats

# 23- negative 0.5 off/def. turnover differential
# 9 - 55 penalty yards per game

Individual Receiving Target and Drop Percentages

Jered Cook catches 76.9% targets and drops 7.7% of passes
Benny Cunningham catches 61.5 % targets and drops 23.1% of passes
Stedman Bailey catches 50% targets and drops 12.5% of passes
Tavon Austin catches 37.5% targets with zero drops
Tre Mason catches 40% targets with zero drops
Kenny Britt catches 57.1 targets with zero drops
Lance Kendricks catches 75% targets with zero drops

Comments-

I couldn't find the average release time before Nick Foles releases passes. If someone can find that elusive stat, please post. Even though our offensive line is inexperienced, I couldn't help but notice that Rams are 9th best at protecting QB from sacks. That doesn't count QB pressures, so I imagine that Foles has one of the quickest release times of 2015 NFL quarterbacks. QB's like Russell Wilson extend plays and own the highest average release times.

So far, it looks like Britt and our Tight Ends are our most efficient receivers. Perhaps we should stop pretending that Jared Cook can inline block and just split him out. Put our best blocking TE next to the tackles. Go with two and three TE sets. Hell, if we need
better blocking, I'm cool with occasionally sticking a tackle eligible big body in the TE position. With Todd Gurley in the backfield, we should force defenses to stuff the box, so if Gurley breaks thru the initial wall of defenders, then Gurley is off to races. Play action passes should work better and it would also buy Nick Foles more time to throw. Every 1/10th of a second matters!

Given enough time to throw, average quarterbacks can look like All Pros.

If Nick Foles continues to average 7.2 YPA while our defense shuts down opposing QB's to 6.0 YPA for a +1.2 yard overall surplus then many wins will follow. In fact, I'll go on record and predict if Rams can end regular season with at least a +0.8 yard per pass attempt differential, then I guarantee Rams make playoffs!

Last edited:

Rainram

Starter
For as much slack as our OLine has taken, and some of it has been deserved, they're not horrible. Some perspective is in order, especially when it comes to statistics this early in the season. We've played only two games.

Most of the team, OLine included, played pretty decent week one. Week 2, not so much...but I've even contended that a good portion of the problems from Week 2 were on Foles. If we could've established offensive drives, it would have been a much different game. Lots of three and outs, and four and outs. We had a lot of untimely drops last game too.

Our Oline played a tough Seattle front and, a quite possibly tougher, Washington front.

I think we have to commit more to the run, and be effective at it early on. We can't be passing 62% of the time.

Also when Gurley and Mason are healthy, I wouldn't mind at all seeing them both in the backfield on the same play. Lots of options.

I think the offense will start to come along, in spite of what we saw last week. We just need to see it sooner than later. Would be nice to start 3-2!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One thing not listed that hurt us badly last game was QB hits and hurries
Good point. I forget the graphic they put up during the Redskins game, but it was double digit hurries and about 7 hits, IIRC.

Rainram

Starter
Good point. I forget the graphic they put up during the Redskins game, but it was double digit hurries and about 7 hits, IIRC.
No doubt. But if Foles maintained his composure much like he did the week before...if we converted on a couple 3rd downs...makes a big difference in the game IMO.

So, yes, there was a good amount of pressure. But there were plays to be made by our skill players that weren't executed.

If we clean up a lot of those things, I see no reason we can put up close to 30 on the Steelers. But that's a big "if."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There are some things they need to clean up if they expect a winning season. 3.3 yards per carry won't get it done. It forces them to become too one dimensional. I know the sack totals given up aren't bad, but they are not opening running lanes. Either that or Mason/Cunningham/Peade aren't seeing them when they're there. If they're there.

On defense they have to be better than that 4.4 yards per carry they're giving up. And that 98 passer rating needs to drop. They can get sacks and pressure, but if they're giving up too many rushing yards and passing plays, thats not an elite defense. And face it, they need to play at a high level in order to win. I don't expect a whole lot from the offense this year.