Offense or Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What should be our draft focus?

• Total voters

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Would you rather improve offensively or defensively? Let's look back on what history tells us...

Super Bowl XIII, Steelers vs. Cowboys
Offense: Cowboys, first in points scored
Defense: Steelers, first in points allowed
Result: Steelers 35, Cowboys 31

Super Bowl XIX, 49ers vs. Dolphins
Offense: Dolphins, first in points scored
Defense: 49ers, first in points allowed
Result: 49ers 38, Dolphins 16

Super Bowl XXIV, 49ers vs. Broncos
Offense: 49ers, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Broncos, fourth in defensive DVOA (first in points allowed)
Result: 49ers 55, Broncos 10

Super Bowl XXV, Giants vs. Bills
Offense: Bills, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Giants, fourth in defensive DVOA (first in points allowed)
Result: Giants 20, Bills 19

Super Bowl XXX, Cowboys vs. Steelers
Offense: Cowboys, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Steelers, fourth in defensive DVOA
Result: Cowboys 27, Steelers 17

Super Bowl XXXVII, Buccaneers vs. Raiders
Offense: Raiders, second in offensive DVOA (first in total offense)
Defense: Buccaneers, first in defensive DVOA
Result: Bucs 48, Raiders 21

Super Bowl XL, Steelers vs. Seahawks
Offense: Seahawks, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Steelers, third in defensive DVOA
Result: Steelers 21, Seahawks 10

Super Bowl XLI, Colts vs. Bears
Offense: Colts, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Bears, second in defensive DVOA
Result: Colts 29, Bears 17

Super Bowl XLII, Patriots vs. Giants
Offense: Patriots, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Giants, 11th in weighted defensive DVOA
Result: Giants 17, Patriots 14

Super Bowl XLV, Packers vs. Steelers
Offense: Packers, seventh in offensive DVOA
Defense: Steelers, first in defensive DVOA
Result: Packers 31, Steelers 25

Super Bowl XLVII, Seahawks vs. Broncos
Offense: Broncos, first in offensive DVOA
Defense: Seahawks, first in defensive DVOA
Result: Seahawks 43, Broncos 8

So history favors the defenses 7-4 in these Super Bowls. In the upcoming draft, should this be something to strongly consider or even dictate our approach?

PhxRam

I want Defense. I want 85 bears D.

I am not suggesting completely overlooking the O, but lets face it, if you are going to come out of the NFC West it is going to be because of the D.

fearsomefour

Legend
D please.
I think the defense is close to being very, very good. The crazy thing is if the Rams D continues to develop we may have 4 of the top 7 or 8 Ds in our division. I think the Rams are a lot closer to winning divisional games 20-17 than putting up 31 points against any of the other defenses in the division. There are some players that are (in my personal and maybe over hopeful opinion) going to change the Rams ability to make plays on O. Cook, Austin and Quick. I am still high on Quick. He may not pan out but the potential is way too high to give up on him after two seasons. I also believe that if the O line can be improved or at least kept where it is that our advantage at QB will be realized soon enough.
To me the Rams front 7 is so, so close to just being dynamic and exciting, the kind of front seven that can take over and control games. Adding Williams as DC is a positive, shoring up the DT rotation and getting more help in the secondary is needed as well.
D and more D in this draft to me.....and O line. I would be fine if there were exactly zero WRs, TEs or RBs added in this draft.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I picked D also. I think that's the side of the ball they are closest to being elite on.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I picked offense ,I know we are going to have a good defense anyway,I want a complete team that dominates both sides of the ball.
That's the way dynasties are

bluecoconuts

Legend
These Super Bowls featured top offensive vs defensive match ups

Gotcha gotcha.

As for me I think defense wins championships. However I know we can have a top 10 or top 5 offense if we do it right. Call me selfish but I want top 5-10 in both and I don't think we are that far out.

RamEERS

Pastor
i think it'll be 100% better this year... especially with Williams there

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rams need a balanced offense with a suffocating defense. By drafting CB, FS, DT, LB, OT, OG, LB, RB, QB the rams will be great next year.

Lol just a quick summary of my mock draft lol

ram29jackson

Rookie
So history favors the defenses 7-4 in these Super Bowls. In the upcoming draft, should this be something to strongly consider or even dictate our approach?

forgive me but..in the internet age people have a habit of pulling out a black and white stat or saying 10 is more than 8 therefore such and such is true. No, you have to look at context and match ups and situations.

the earlier match ups where a number1 def. meet a number 1 off. in a Super bowl...the teams with number one defenses also had superior offenses and or QBs and coaches to begin with.

this recent SB is the only one to break the mold as far as I'm concerned because the Seattle QB was still young and inexperienced and the offense wasn't all that great...and a guy who doesn't play all year is the game breaker ? that shows me the league is weaker as far as I'm concerned.

the Rams defense is fine and Fisher will be more hands on this time. The Rams offense needs to improve greatly to push forward.

laramsoriginal

Starter
The rams offense has to improve in terms of efficiency. In my opinion, the rams do not have a QB that can carry a team nor do they have a true #1 WR or even a great RB. The rams have to be balanced on offense.
The good news is the rams only need to improve their OL (LG/RG) and keep Sam healthy. The young skill players have to keep developing.

To win the NFCW the defense has add a premier CB and FS. Add another pass rushing DT and a LB. All the positions mentioned above can be filled via draft. If done right (easier said than done) the rams will make the playoffs in 2014

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think a top defense is more sustainable / dependable than a top offense. Especially in the playoffs and bad weather conditions.

The other thing that makes me favor the D is the apparent fact that the refs don't want to call PI and defensive holding like the rules require the later into the playoffs you get... even less in the Super Bowl. That was talked about quite a bit last week and I can't help but remember how that worked against our offense in the Super Bowl vs the cheaters.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
with a new found running game, defense may be the way to go towards elite level. protect bradford (see if a better backup option can be signed) and just beef up the line's depth

i say this because of the division we play in. those 6 games, our defense needs to outperform AZ, SEA, and S.F.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
forgive me but..in the internet age people have a habit of pulling out a black and white stat or saying 10 is more than 8 therefore such and such is true. No, you have to look at context and match ups and situations.

the earlier match ups where a number1 def. meet a number 1 off. in a Super bowl...the teams with number one defenses also had superior offenses and or QBs and coaches to begin with.

this recent SB is the only one to break the mold as far as I'm concerned because the Seattle QB was still young and inexperienced and the offense wasn't all that great...and a guy who doesn't play all year is the game breaker ? that shows me the league is weaker as far as I'm concerned.

the Rams defense is fine and Fisher will be more hands on this time. The Rams offense needs to improve greatly to push forward.

That's an interesting take. I don't see an elite team in Seattle that could beat other Superbowl teams from the past. The 99 and 2001 Rams would wipe the floor with this Seattle team. Last years Ravens team is the only superbowl winner in the last ten years I would pick to lose against this Seattle team. Granted my hatred for Pete Carrol probably biases me opinion.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maybe the talent level in the NFL overall really is in decline. I know for sure that the AFC is as weak as ever. However, I think the NFC West, in general, is becoming one of the best of all time. The Seahawks offense is not a true spectacle but I think Percy Harvin's great Super Bowl performance was aided by the fact he was injured. He was coming in the game fresh and Denver didn't really know how to play him since they didn't know how Seattle planned to utilize him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's an interesting take. I don't see an elite team in Seattle that could beat other Superbowl teams from the past. The 99 and 2001 Rams would wipe the floor with this Seattle team. Last years Ravens team is the only superbowl winner in the last ten years I would pick to lose against this Seattle team. Granted my hatred for Pete Carrol probably biases me opinion.

I think that this Seattle team is so physical that it is hard to say. There is something about a team that can impose their will on you. I think the previous Super Bowl teams would have some difficulty moving the ball or controlling Lynch the whole game. Not the Greatest show on Turf of course.;)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm a little hesitant to say that Seattle team is as dominant as all that.Denver screwed the pooch and Seattle's DB's got away with murder.