Oct-13th Monday night game/Ferguson riots-Need some advice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Hey all- A little off topic but need some help here. My girl and I already booked our flights and got rooms at the Renaissance downtown. Believe it's only 3/4 of a mile or so from the stadium.
A friend we work with that lives there said there are threats of rioting at the game as further protest to all the stuff that happened with the shooting. He suggested we don't come.

So my question is to those that live there. Do you think I should have a real concern here or what?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
You will be fine downtown, they may have a demonstration but there wont be any violence. Just stick to downtown and you will be fine.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't be concerned at all unless it's revealed that the officer won't be charged in the days leading up to the game. Even then you'll probably be fine.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
No, I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. Judging by the national news we look sort of like a war zone I would guess. The truth is for the most part there really has been zero impact on most residents' way of life in any way whatsoever. There's a few making a ton of noise basically. The stadium is downtown. Just stay away from that area, which won't be a problem. In truth, either way, it's not exactly Beruit. There's a whole lot of great things to see around St. Louis. Come and enjoy. Sad too because actually the Ferguson area is nice. It just has a black eye right now. It's not as if you're risking your life just by entering the area either, honestly. Despite the depictions you might see on CNN.

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The only part of the area that ever got effected was the city of Ferguson itself. Its all good

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The only part of the area that ever got effected was the city of Ferguson itself. Its all good

There was looting at various places within the St. Louis city limits but it was very spotty.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'll put it this way: I've never felt any more threatened as a citizen of St. Louis walking down the streets or traveling around the city as a result of any of this. I don't normally visit Ferguson, but if I had to, I really wouldn't be worried about having to do so.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
My mom lives in the city-(North St. Louis), Ferguson is still the burbs as far as I'm concerned.
One thing I think you can count on is the Ed protecting its product. If I were you I wouldn't be any more worried than any other time you head to a game. Just use common sense, pay more to park closer or take the MetroLink and all should be good.

Big Unit

UDFA
The Renaissance isn't far from the Ed; and both are miles from Ferguson - which, as others have said, is in the County, not the City. You should be fine. I've been to professional sporting events in several cities, and Downtown St. Louis is about as safe as it comes. So you know, the Ed is near the northern border of downtown; Busch Stadium about 8 blocks south, near the southern border. Stay between the Ed and Busch, and between Tucker to the west and the River to the east; you'll have a blast. Only question is whether the Cards will still be playing; and if so, whether the games are at home. Seems unlikely they'd have an NL game that Monday night; if they have one either Sunday or Tuesday, should really be fun to be downtown.

Big Unit

UDFA
I just checked the major league championship schedule; and the NL plays on Sunday 10/12 and Tuesday, 10/14; NOT on Monday, 10/13. That's great. If the Cards are in it, they'll either have played the day before the Niners, or will play the day after, at home. Downtown should be rocking.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I was told they might riot/protest at the game so wasn't sure what to expect. I figured it wasn't anything to worry about but I told my girlfriend I would check with some folks to get their take.

Makes the decision to go all that much easier.

Much appreciated.

-BW

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Where you are staying is so close to the stadium that even if the protestors were anything to be concerned about you'd be fine.

This whole Ferguson thing has grown to a stupid level...by that I mean it's time to move on. It's more noise at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks guys. I was told they might riot/protest at the game so wasn't sure what to expect. I figured it wasn't anything to worry about but I told my girlfriend I would check with some folks to get their take.

Makes the decision to go all that much easier.

Much appreciated.

-BW

If they try anything at the game, there will be more than enough police officers and security to stop it. And it's pretty baffling that anyone would be stupid enough to believe they'll get people to support their cause by disrupting a NFL game. That's one of the best ways to make your cause reviled. Maybe afterwards, they can picket with the Westboro Baptist Church. :LOL:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If they try anything at the game, there will be more than enough police officers and security to stop it. And it's pretty baffling that anyone would be stupid enough to believe they'll get people to support their cause by disrupting a NFL game. That's one of the best ways to make your cause reviled. Maybe afterwards, they can picket with the Westboro Baptist Church. :LOL:
WBC lmao!!!
Freaking Loons

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
FYI - I've lived in STL all my life and have never even been to Ferguson. They tried to do some kind of protest a couple weeks back at both Rams and Cardinals games and there were a few people that were just holding signs and chanting stuff. No big deal at all. Don't let the stuff on TV fool you. That stuff is pretty much concentrated in a very small area, north of St. Louis. And one other thing, if any of the thugs start to mess with Rams fans going to the game, I guarantee you that it won't be a good night for said thugs.

Philly5

Rookie
Is that nonsense still going on? How do the businesses and law abiding people tolerate it?

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Nope, there is nothing to worry about at all. If it becomes a concern, however, you can always stay in a hotel across the river at Fairview Heights and catch the Rams Express to the dome. They only charge $5 round trip per adult and the bus drops you off directly in front of the dome. I know when I ride they always has a lot of fans from the opposing team on them. It's also a good way to avoid all of the traffic and $20 parking on gameday.