Nov. 25 Rams Practice Report: Sending Support to Bailey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/25: Sending Support to Bailey
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1125-Sending-Support-to-Bailey/37c8c6f6-9ca5-4664-8b0a-b4b488d51781

Wednesday was a tough day around Rams Park, as news of the incident surrounding Stedman Bailey came down late last night and continued to spread to the wide receiver’s teammates in the early morning. Fortunately, head coach Jeff Fisher was able to provide positive news on Bailey’s condition following the conclusion of Wednesday’s practice.

“I can report now that Sted is in Intensive Care Unit. He had extensive surgery. Surgery probably took four-to-six hours, from what my understanding is,” Fisher said. “I don’t have specifics right now, but what I can tell you is that he’s in stable condition. He’ll be in ICU for a number of days. It’s really unlikely -- highly unlikely -- that he returns to play this year.”

That Bailey probably will not play another snap in 2015 is secondary in everyone’s mind after the fact that it appears he will pull through.

“As long as you know his life is going to be OK and that he’s going to live, that’s the most important thing,” James Laurinaitis said. “The last thing on our mind is, ‘Gosh, when do we get Steddy B back on the field?’ It’s just, you hope that he’s OK and that he makes a full recovery.”

“Everybody genuinely cares about Stedman,” Chris Long said. “He’s a great dude, he’s a great teammate, and we’re just praying for him. At the end of the day, that stuff is way bigger than football. This is the health of a teammate. This is the livelihood of a teammate. And you just pray that he’ll get through it and come out of the other end even better.”

The human aspect of this situation is what can make it so tough for everyone.

“Whether you’re a coach, or you’re a father, or you’re a family member -- anytime something like that happens, it’s very, very difficult,” Fisher said.

“The one thing that gave us hope last night was that we were able to get in touch with Sted at the hospital and there was a conversation that took place,” the head coach continued. “So, that gave us hope that he would pull through this and this was not life-threatening. That’s kind of what gave us hope through the evening.”

Word of the incident began to spread through the team late Tuesday night. Once that happened, players began to send messages of support on Twitter and to Bailey’s family.

“Once we got confirmation, some guys tried to reach out to his family and pretty much just get any message we could get to him to tell him we’re with him, we’re praying for him,” Benny Cunningham said. “We just want him to get back here as soon as possible.”

As a teammate, Fisher described Bailey as “a popular guy” in the locker room. And the way Rams players described him on Wednesday backed up that assertion.

“Sted’s been awesome to me,” James Laurinaitis said. “You interact only so much with the offensive guys a lot, but I’ve always known him to be super up beat, always about his craft, works hard. Loves football -- just loves being in here. I’ve always enjoyed having him as a teammate.”

“He’s cool as a fan,” Jared Cook said. “He’s a great guy. Great guy to be around. Funny. He and Tavon [Austin] are like two peas in a pod. He’s part of this family and we love him. We’re praying for him and we’re here for him.”

Bailey and Austin’s closeness stems from their shared time at West Virginia. The two were part of a prolific offense as Mountaineers, and have been working to bring much of that explosiveness to St. Louis. It’s easy for their Rams teammates to notice just the special relationship between the two.

“He and Tavon are pretty similar,” William Hayes said. “They’re always joking around. Real free spirited.”

Tim Barnes’ locker is situated just to the right of the corner where the wide receivers are situated in the locker room, and described Bailey as someone who fits right in with that group.

“They all have their own little receivers’ world,” Barnes said. “They’re fun, they joke around, and they have a good time. So they’re a fun group to be next to. There’s always something going on.”

As difficult as it may have been to do so, the Rams still had to conduct a practice to get ready for Sunday’s matchup against the Bengals. Fisher said part of keeping everyone focused during the session was disclosing any information on Bailey he received.

“The whole key when you’re dealing with these type of situations is you have to do your best to keep them informed,” Fisher said. “The unknown leads to uncertainty, and uncertainty leads to distractions, and then distractions lead to losses. As long as we keep them informed, I think everybody will be fine.”

Many in the locker room appreciated the approach.

“I think coach has done a phenomenal job handling it,” Laurinaitis said. “We just want to make sure everybody’s informed. The worst thing that can happen is people just not know what’s going on, and then your mind starts to kind of run with stories on its own. So, like I said, coach did a great job of keeping everybody informed.”

“I feel like ‘Fish’ has done a good job of keeping the guys updated on him -- giving us encouragement that things are going good,” Cunningham said. “We’ve been trying to do as best we can knowing a brother is going through such a tough situation. But at the same time, you’ve got to try to focus and get prepared for your opponent.”

Still, players said that given a situation like this, it’s hard not to take a step back and put the game of football into perspective.

“I think in today’s day and age, it always jolts you a little more when it’s more personal,” Laurinaitis said. “When you have people that you are interacting with on a daily basis and you’ve known for years, and then you hear they got shot, you’re like, goodness. It definitely puts life in perspective.”

“You realize it’s just a game,” Cunningham said. “When you’re caught up in the moment sometimes, you take it for granted, maybe. But once you see somebody going through a real-life situation like that, you kind of step back for a moment and just realize how blessed we are. And it’s nothing that you ever want to take from granted.”

And so as the Rams continue to prepare for the Bengals, they will do so with Bailey on their minds, hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery.

“I’d say at any given time in an NFL locker room, somebody’s going through something that’s strenuous on them and they’ve got to get ready to play a game,” Long said. “And I think NFL players do a great job of working through that and trying to separate the two things. It’ll be no different.

“Hopefully, Sted will be improving on Sunday and can watch us play and can see us play good football,” Long continued. “Hopefully, it’ll put a smile on his face.”

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Case Keenum will start against Bengals if he clears concussion protocol
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-will-start-if-he-clears-concussion-protocol

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Case Keenum did not participate in the team's light practice Tuesday afternoon because of the concussion he suffered last week against the Baltimore Ravens.

But coach Jeff Fisher offered hope that Keenum could be ready to participate in some capacity as soon as Wednesday.

"Yeah, he was in the building ... looked at a lot of tape," Fisher said. "[He] has not been cleared for any activity for [Tuesday], but we're hopeful that [Wednesday] he'll be ready to do some things outside. So, he's feeling pretty good actually."

Keenum, of course, made his first start for the Rams on Sunday and finished the game despite getting a concussion when he hit his head on the ground on the team's final possession. The play left more questions than answers about how the Rams and the league handled it after Keenum stayed in the game following the injury.

The NFL, which is investigating the series of events that led to Keenum staying in the game, held a conference call with doctors and trainers from all 32 teams Tuesday night to discuss possible ways to improve the system of in-game concussion evaluations.

"It's an important issue," Fisher said. "I mean, it's really a serious issue and the league's taking it very serious and you can understand why. So, the league's gathering information and we're looking at the system under which we operate right now to see if there's anything we can do to where we avoid that kind of situation that happened to Case. So, there will be a conference call and the league's going to gather the information and they'll adjust the features ever so slightly, I guess, on game day."

Asked if he had any suggestions for changes he'd like to see made to the system, Fisher declined.

"As far as recommendations and suggestions as to how something like this doesn't happen again, I can't go there because there's too many entities right now," Fisher said. "They’re discussing their opinions of exactly what happened."

In the meantime, Keenum continues to go through the normal concussion protocol. Fisher reiterated that Keenum would start against Cincinnati this week so long as he passes the proper tests, something Keenum is apparently on track to do.

"No setbacks," Fisher said. "No, he was fine. He just hasn't been cleared for any physical activity. He's in the protocol and that's typically the way things work on Tuesdays. So, he'll go through some more testing and then we're hopeful that he'll be released for activity tomorrow."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenum at practice, still in concussion protocol
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8719df80-aa2b-51f5-afb8-c3a8f48f7088.html

Quarterback Case Keenum took another step towards being ready for Sunday’s game against Cincinnait.

After being limited to meetings and film study Tuesday, Keenum was on the practice field Wednesday for the week’s first full-scale practice in preparation for the 8-2 Bengals.

Keenum did a fair amount of work but was officially listed as limited on the Rams’ injury report.

“He’s doing well,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Wednesday’s practice. “He’s still in the (concussion) protocol, so we couldn’t completely release him to full practice. But he got under center, he split the reps with Nick (Foles), and he felt pretty good.”

The concussion protocol calls for a series of tests and examinations throughout the week. With the Rams off on Thursday, their regular day off this season, the earliest Keenum can be cleared for full practice is Friday.

“We’ll know better on Friday,” Fisher said. “Hopefully, he’ll be released and he’ll be able to play.”

Because Keenum is still going through the protocol procedures he was not made available to the media Wednesday at Rams Park.

In a play last Sunday that drew nationwide attention, Keenum suffered a concussion when sacked late in the Rams’ 16-13 loss at Baltimore. Television replays showed his head hitting the turf at M&T Bank Stadium, with Keenum holding his hands behind his helmet for a few seconds, and then initially struggling to get up.

He finished out the Rams’ final two offensive plays of the game, and teammate Garrett Reynolds, who helped pull him off the turf, said Keenum was fine in the huddle. But a controversy followed over why Keenum wasn’t taken out of the game for further examination, and why the press box injury spotter didn’t call a medical timeout.

Physicians, head athletic trainers, and other league-affiliated medical officials took part in a conference call Tuesday evening to discuss what went wrong with the system in Baltimore and what could be done to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

“The league and all the entities involved are working to ensure that this doesn’t happen again,” Fisher said. “The NFL, the head, neck, and spine committee, the Players Association, the trainers, and everybody’s discussed it.

“We had a very candid, open discussion and we’re working to ensure that we’ve got our bases covered right now. Obviously, things slipped through the cracks in our game with Case.”

=============

Ram notes: DE Longacre making the most of opportunities
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a73dccd5-58ea-566d-a3b5-bab327174446.html

For just a few seconds, Rams rookie defensive end Matt Longacre could only imagine the worst.

“We had a meeting and when I went back to my locker, all my stuff was gone,’’ he recalled. “For about 30 seconds, I was freaking out. It was like, ‘Oh no, what just happened?’”

But after a walk around the locker room at Rams Park, Longacre found that his “stuff” had been moved to a spot closer to the other defensive linemen.

“To me, it’s a big deal,” Longacre said.

An undersized and undrafted free agent from Division II Northwest Missouri State, Longacre has earned his spot — in the locker room and on the playing field — with the Rams. Activated from the practice squad on Nov. 6, the 6-foot-3, 260-pound Longacre made his NFL debut two days later at Minnesota and made five tackles.

“He did a great job,” Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “I thought he played very well in the preseason.... If you guys could see behind the scenes; we do a written test every week on all the multiple things we do (and) he’s like a coach when you look at his (answers). He’s a tough guy, too. He did a very good job and he deserves to play in this league. He really does.”

Longacre got another chance in Sunday’s 16-13 loss in Baltimore and continued to impress. The 24-year-old from Omaha was on the field for 26 plays on defense and three more on special teams and contributed 10 tackles, including four solos, and another for loss. He also had a pair of quarterback hits and nearly recorded his first NFL sack.

“Other than a very tough loss, things went well,’’ Longacre said. “I just felt so much more comfortable. That first game, you just don’t know what to expect. The big thing was the speed of the game. Even in DII, you’re facing some pretty big tackles, so it’s not as much of an adjustment. But at this level, everything happens so much faster.

“Lucky for me, I was on kickoff return Sunday, so by the time I got out there on defense, the jitters were gone and I was ready to go.’’

With two-time Pro Bowl selection Robert Quinn unavailable with back and hip issues, Longacre helped fill a void Sunday.

“Matt’s getting pressure on the quarterback ... and he’s playing the run really well,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s making plays. He’s hard to move and he’s instinctive. Really, it’s the same thing he did in the preseason. He’s been very productive.’’

Longacre’s story is one of the underdog. Despite a solid career at Millard West High in Omaha, Longacre drew only minimal recruiting interest and chose Northwest Missouri over Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota.

“I made the visit to Northwest and fell in love with it,’’ he said.

Even after earning back-to-back MIAA Defensive Player of the Year awards with the Bearcats, Longacre was passed over in the draft and signed with the Rams in early May.

“I got hurt in the last game of my senior year, so I was worried about what came next,’’ he recalled. “In the end, I kind of lucked out and didn’t get invited to any all-star games or the Combine; that gave me the time I needed to get healthy and then really focus on getting ready for my pro day.’’

Since signing with the Rams, Longacre has moved steadily up the depth chart.

“All I ever wanted was a shot and I’m thankful for the opportunity the Rams have given me,’’ said Longacre, who re-signed with the practice squad after being cut by the Rams at the end of training camp. “In OTAs, as a third-teamer, I wasn’t getting a lot of reps, but I just kept working. I started getting more reps in practice over the last few weeks before being promoted and that gave me a chance to show the coaches what I could do and helped me earn their trust.’’

RAMS IN LONDON IN 2016

The NFL announced Wednesday that the Rams will play a regular-season game in London in 2016 as part of the league’s UK International Series.

The Rams will take on an NFC East opponent that finishes in the same spot in their division as the Rams finish in the NFC West. In other words, if the Rams finish third in the NFC West this season, they will face the third-place team in the NFC East, etc.

The game is scheduled for Oct. 23 and once again it’s a Rams’ home game. The Rams also lost a home game to London in 2012 when they played the New England Patriots in Wembley Stadium and lost 45-7.

Other International Series games next season in London are Indianapolis vs. Jacksonville on Oct. 2 and Washington vs. Cincinnati on Oct. 30. It’s possible Washington will play games in London in back-to-back weeks if they end up finishing in the same spot in their division as the Rams do in the NFC West.

Both the St. Louis NFL stadium task force and the Convention and Visitors Commission issued statements on the London game.

The task force said it was “confident the Rams will continue to call St. Louis their home’’ and that,“if the Rams proceed with us on the north riverfront stadium and redevelopment project, we’re certain accommodations can be made for the Rams to play one game in London next season.’’

But the CVC issued a reminder, noting that if they’re still in St. Louis, a Rams’ game in London would violate the terms of the lease at the Dome.

In 2012, the Rams agreed to pay a $25,000 lease payment — the normal fee for one game under the lease agreement — and also agreed to pay game-day employees in St. Louis for the te lost home game and gave the CVC more leeway on booking conventions that month.

RAM-BLING

Quarterback Case Keenum remains in the concussion protocol and was limited in practice on Wednesday. Sitting out the workout at Rams Park were Quinn (back/hip), tackle Rob Havenstein (calf), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (thigh) and offensive linemen Andrew Donnal (knee).