Not impressed with the hands up BS displayed by the Rams WRs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's so difficult when it happens that fast and someone is reaching for what you see as a gun? What do you do? It's not an easy situation.

I shoot, but again, thats not my issue. My issue is what they did before the shooting, I think that demonstrates gross negligence on both of the officers.

Let me put it this way, if they rolled up and it was a gun, but when they got out of the car they were shot at right away and the officer who shot him was instead shot and killed? Would there be an investigation about why they put themselves that close and approached a potential gunman without any cover? Probably. It was extremely reckless, not only to the officers but the public. Police are supposed to protect the public, and I believe they did almost everything they could to ensure a shooting happened. Intentional or not (and personally I'd say not), that was very bad police work and huge negligence on their part, and regardless of what happens I don't think they're fit to be police officers. When you factor in both had issues, including one being deemed unfit for service due to his mental state, I think that department is in trouble. If they stay on, heads will probably roll, and they should.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I thought this needed posting and didn't want to start a new thread on it.

Our old buddy Jared Cook is ready for a career in politics. This is masterful flip-flopping right here:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ea7afa10-2b89-5809-9c2d-d67f67bfe441.html

Tight end Jared Cook tried to make it as clear as possible Wednesday that the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" gesture by he and four other Rams players was not meant as a slight or slam of police officers.

"Why would we come at the police in a disrespectful way when we work with the police in the community all the time?" Cook said following the team's afternoon practice at Rams Park. "The police are up here every day. There were four police cars here this morning when I pulled into work.

"The police have a picnic in the summer in our parking lot where they bring their kids and their children to meet-and-greet and have fun with us. So why would I disrespect a group of men that we have complete respect for in the community? That help us every day?"

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rams-cook-would-absolutely-do-it-all-over-again

Asked in hindsight whether the group might have taken a different tack that wouldn't have antagonized law enforcement officials, [Cook] answered: "We could have, absolutely. But would we? Absolutely not."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I thought this needed posting and didn't want to start a new thread on it.

Our old buddy Jared Cook is ready for a career in politics. This is masterful flip-flopping right here:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ea7afa10-2b89-5809-9c2d-d67f67bfe441.html

Tight end Jared Cook tried to make it as clear as possible Wednesday that the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" gesture by he and four other Rams players was not meant as a slight or slam of police officers.

"Why would we come at the police in a disrespectful way when we work with the police in the community all the time?" Cook said following the team's afternoon practice at Rams Park. "The police are up here every day. There were four police cars here this morning when I pulled into work.

"The police have a picnic in the summer in our parking lot where they bring their kids and their children to meet-and-greet and have fun with us. So why would I disrespect a group of men that we have complete respect for in the community? That help us every day?"

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rams-cook-would-absolutely-do-it-all-over-again

Asked in hindsight whether the group might have taken a different tack that wouldn't have antagonized law enforcement officials, [Cook] answered: "We could have, absolutely. But would we? Absolutely not."
Has he ever explained what the gesture was supposed to symbolize?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Has he ever explained what the gesture was supposed to symbolize?
No, just that it somehow in his mind means more than just Ferguson because it's being done a lot of places.

I'm not sure how it CAN symbolize anything but the false belief that Brown was attempting to surrender when he got himself killed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, just that it somehow in his mind means more than just Ferguson because it's being done a lot of places.

I'm not sure how it CAN symbolize anything but the false belief that Brown was attempting to surrender when he got himself killed.
I think he might have said that it was supposed to symbolize unity with the protesters (or maybe that was Britt - I dunno). But that makes them in support of the protesters' cause; which by extension makes them protesters as well. Whatever though. He did what he felt was right I guess. It's yet to be determined if he (or any of the other receivers) will do anything when the spotlight isn't on them. Hit the streets, help organize, speak at assemblies, etc. That would impress me more then getting face-time on a camera and then denying what it really meant.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Same way the "I can't breathe" is being used all over to represent the general issues that are going on with police.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Same way the "I can't breathe" is being used all over to represent the general issues that are going on with police.
At least "I can't breathe" isn't based on an utter falsehood. There, at least, you can make the case that even if that takedown technique is being taught at police academy (which appears to be the case), it needs to be untrained and replaced with an alternative ASAP.

BTW, there was a quiet story going around that some of the Rams played the Redskins game with "I Can't Breathe" written on their athletic tape. I have no issue with that.

Going around displaying the hands up gesture, which IS based on a complete falsehood, can't be help but be offensive to police. Being forced to kill someone in the line of duty would have to be the absolute nightmare scenario for a law enforcement personnel (or those who sympathize with them) and this hands up gesture seems to basically be telling them that if you're put into that scenario by someone of a different color, your only choices are that your life is going to end up ruined, or you can just lay down and die.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
tumblr_mdfegizfMt1qajc4eo2_250.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's yet to be determined if he (or any of the other receivers) will do anything when the spotlight isn't on them. Hit the streets, help organize, speak at assemblies, etc. That would impress me more then getting face-time on a camera and then denying what it really meant.
There we go. Good job(s).

v02Yagd.png

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
There we go. Good job(s).

v02Yagd.png
Yeah but if they are wearing the hands up shirts will they be giving back or advancing a dubious narrative?
Seems to me that slogan is a gross generality that does more to widen the gap between the police and those portrayed as the target evidences the police officers assn reaction to the player demonstration

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah but if they are wearing the hands up shirts will they be giving back or advancing a dubious narrative?
Seems to me that slogan is a gross generality that does more to widen the gap between the police and those portrayed as the target evidences the police officers assn reaction to the player demonstration
Let's see what they're wearing first, before we debate it. ;)

fearsomefour

Legend
Nothing says "giving back" like announcing what your doing on twitter.
I am amending my post.
I was the same when I was a young, lean earning machine. I thought I was Gods-gift too.
So it goes. Hopefully they do something worthwhile.

Last edited: