Non-highlight #1: "The overthrow"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll probably put 3 or 4 of these up over the next few days. The all-22 isn't out yet, so here's game footage of the first pass for which Keenum was blamed. To be fair, though, a lot of people rewound this after it happened and came to the same conclusion.

Britt ran this route half-assed because (per Fisher) he didn't think he was the primary.
Hey, guess what, you might become the primary. So run the route.
Britt was clearly pissed at himself after this too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moaPYMoPugw

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I thought it looked like Britt gave up to early when it happened. The troubling part of it is why would he not expect the ball to come his way he was clearly open, was the play supposed to go to Tavon with Britt as the decoy or clearout guy?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
was the play supposed to go to Tavon with Britt as the decoy or clearout guy?
We'll never know. But Fisher said Britt gave up on the post (and he did) because he wasn't the primary read.
I'm not sure why that would matter. Even if you think the ball's not coming your way, run the route like it is anyway.
Can't blame Keenum on that one, because how would he know Britt wouldn't be running at top speed the whole time?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Way too much of that in this league.

Not just WR routes - downfield blocks too. Guys assume the play isn't coming their way and they half ass it. This is the pros. Coaches need to make those efforts uncomfortable on film day - whether or not they affect the play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Britt was clearly pissed at himself for not continuing the route until it was too late. That was clearly not on Keenum. I still think Keenum did enough to drop down the food chain and give Goff the starting job but I guess we'll see.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've watched it a couple of times. Still looks like it was overthrown to me? (n)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yes, but why?

Even if Britt is running all out the whole time, I'm not sure he gets that one.

Obviously it's difficult to judge the speed of Britt and the ball if an intersect was possible... but to my eyes it looks overthrown either way.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Case threw it perfectly, if Britt hadn't taken the play off it would have been a TD.
Too bad we don't have anyone that can coach this out of our players.:giveup:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Even if Britt is running all out the whole time, I'm not sure he gets that one.
Oh I'm sure he would have. He was only a step late.
It was the first half of the route that bothers me. The second half is twice as fast as the first.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It was the first half of the route that bothers me. The second half is twice as fast as the first.

Okay. Let me look one more time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets also not forget how many times we've seen Keenum go to his primary read, even force it there, with a WR running wide open deep. I'm not excusing Britt but this is something that has happened multiple times.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I am still not sure. Not trying to be argumentative, because it's probably impossible to know for sure either way...

But, at this point in the route Keenum has the opportunity to adjust to Britt's location in the route... what's not pictured is Keenum takes another step up before releasing the pass. I still think he overthrew him.

IMG_0689_zpsumeefbct.jpeg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But, at this point in the route Keenum has the opportunity to adjust to Britt's location in the route... what's not pictured is Keenum takes another step up before releasing the pass. I still think he overthrew him.
That's the perfect picture to use. See the two defenders? THAT is the very moment both of them need to know that the opportunity is a deep post. AND - Britt is running a post anyway - not an out, and he's not sitting down in the zone. And when you run a post, the route is run at full-speed (he didn't). It could also be a sight adjustment the two of them didn't recognize. Sometimes that's the QB's fault, other times it's the receiver's. I'm leaning toward that being Britt's fault - not only because of the way he ran the route, but also because Fisher said, specifically, "Kenny quit on the post."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My question is, why does Keenum have to air out all his deep passes? If he just throws a rope straight to him it's a touchdown regardless.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case threw it perfectly, if Britt hadn't taken the play off it would have been a TD.
Too bad we don't have anyone that can coach this out of our players.:giveup:

Damn straight. It's a coaching thing, always has been. That's how you end looking at five straight losing seasons.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Had to give you a disagree. Take it. :sneaky:
Just giving you shit. Still I think Britt makes that catch if he runs the route like he thought it might come to him. I think Britt and the sideline appear to agree.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My question is, why does Keenum have to air out all his deep passes? If he just throws a rope straight to him it's a touchdown regardless.
If Britt had run that route full speed, it would have floated right into his hands and he's in the endzone 3 seconds later.
I personally don't care if he doesn't throw ropes. Peyton Manning never threw any ball with that kind of velocity. He just knew where it had to be.

*obligatory disclaimer: I don't think Keenum is Peyton Manning.