Nickell Robey-Coleman wants to stay with Rams after 'great start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
NRC played really well for us... I'd like us to keep him... I mean keeping him and Hill as your likely 3rd and 4th CBs ..you don't want to spend too much..but I think it's worth it... I agree with concerns other mentioned about the height of our guys...when NRC is on the field with Joyner...that's a couple of really short DBs... we have a lot of decisions to make..and a lot of pieces to fit together..

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Joyner and NRC are too small it must be the the same way Donald is "too small" for a DT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cody Davis doesn’t even get close to replacing Joyner. That drop off is huge.That secondary would get torched.
My shortened comments was to respond in quick to my fellow members quiz. Maybe I should have used some addition wording instead of using the word replacing. Seems your response has aroused many of our members in agreement with you.:LOL:

I am sure that you were short of time & could not respond to all my elements suggested but just decided to throw some negatives on Cody's skills & abilities & to magnify & uplift Lamarcus?? Which is fine because LJ is worthy of such praise but Cody does not deserve to be so maligned. I also noticed you did not offer up any of your own suggestions? I would be interested when you have the time.

I would hope that all of our members realize that Cody Davis could never totally replace what a safety like LJ....or match what he can do to help a DC to call the right defense on game day or in total what a LJ does for your overall defense. But Cody could greatly assist the Rams as they move on from LJ & to develop another future drafted safety like LJ. I sure you know that a Cody Davis signing offers ups some good positive too right? Snead does have a past of doing just that with four recent drafted 2nd day drafted safeties like TJ McDonald, LJ, Alexander & JJ III.

Did you see I also suggested the drafting of a young budget priced safety to go along with the resigning of Cody Davis to assist the young 2nd season star safety JJ III along with 3rd season reserve safeties Countess, Christian & Isaiah Johnson?

When LJ bolts for mega high $$$ deal & Snead fails to sign back a veteran deep safety like safety Cody Davis what is your plan? Whats left ? To utilize & deposit most all the available cap funds & future cap funds in one unit on the trio Trumaine, NR-C & LJ? What about Aaron Donald contract or Goff's UFA starting center & on.....

Another question.... do you have an example where the duo of Snead/Demoff having ever entered into a long mega UFA contract with a Rams starting safety yet?

I am sure you do recall Snead's past pressers & interviews in such discussions (through-out his 7 yrs) commenting that he does not prioritize large salary cap $$$ toward safeties, but favors CB's. Plus we do have recent history where Snead has signed UFA CB's to Deals/Tagging i.e.NR-C, Coty Sensabaugh, Cortland Finnegan & Trumaine Johnson.

Signing Cody Davis for a short term 2 yr contract & the drafting of a young talented safety will save future salary cap mega millions. Where as a deal to secure the services of the soon to be 28 yr old Joyner will help desolate the Rams salary funding, thus hurting the Rams opportunities to improve with econo salary players & assist bring in the needed free agent veterans to plug the UN expected vacancies in the Rams roster.

Oh by the way LJ has always been my #1 want of all the Ram UFA's .. but sometime I don't get what i want.:)Always have a good emergency plan helps in those type situations do you think?

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
First....Cody Davis would definitely have more INT's than Joyner as a starter....jmo....but the guy is around the ball....I'd imagine every pick I've seen of Joyner, were plays that were under/over thrown....jmo...I do think the tackling may get considerably worse...but the actual pass defense...I'd believe would be improved....esp. turnovers.

Oh yeah...Cody runs a 4.4....yall know I like that shit....

Not signing Joyner for $11 mill....just never.

Don't like that $17 mill number on Sammy either....he's probably worth it....but after the season he had....naw....plus....wr's, are out there....in the draft...firm believer in the 7 on 7 stuff these kids do in the 8th grade...more prepared than ever.

Tru Johnson....a play keeps poppin up in my head...that one where Julio just shoves him, and comes back to a Ryan pass...Tru's ok....but this IS a deep cb draft....we could draft his replacement in the 3rd round...yep I said it....
If Joyner and NRC are too small it must be the the same way Donald is "too small" for a DT.
Except my dear friend...the multiple awards "lil" Aaron Donald has achieved...while little, he plays HUGE...game changer...wrecker...no comparison. NRC is cool....Joyner is cool....Aaron is a HOF type talent....big...huge difference.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know they didn't drop a sure TD pass late in the game.
hahaha, nope, they never got their hands on the ball in the biggest game of the season.

Those were contested plays....but, by the time Goff/McVay decided to use Watkins, game was essentially over...2 scores at the time...don't get me started on these alleged drops. When he was OPEN, the ball couldn't get to him....in the 1st quarter...when it would have mattered.

fearsomefour

Legend
hahaha, nope, they never got their hands on the ball in the biggest game of the season.

Those were contested plays....but, by the time Goff/McVay decided to use Watkins, game was essentially over...2 scores at the time...don't get me started on these alleged drops. When he was OPEN, the ball couldn't get to him....in the 1st quarter...when it would have mattered.
Not sure what the point is.

fearsomefour

Legend
First....Cody Davis would definitely have more INT's than Joyner as a starter....jmo....but the guy is around the ball....I'd imagine every pick I've seen of Joyner, were plays that were under/over thrown....jmo...I do think the tackling may get considerably worse...but the actual pass defense...I'd believe would be improved....esp. turnovers.

Oh yeah...Cody runs a 4.4....yall know I like that crap....

Not signing Joyner for $11 mill....just never.

Don't like that $17 mill number on Sammy either....he's probably worth it....but after the season he had....naw....plus....wr's, are out there....in the draft...firm believer in the 7 on 7 stuff these kids do in the 8th grade...more prepared than ever.

Tru Johnson....a play keeps poppin up in my head...that one where Julio just shoves him, and comes back to a Ryan pass...Tru's ok....but this IS a deep cb draft....we could draft his replacement in the 3rd round...yep I said it....
Except my dear friend...the multiple awards "lil" Aaron Donald has achieved...while little, he plays HUGE...game changer...wrecker...no comparison. NRC is cool....Joyner is cool....Aaron is a HOF type talent....big...huge difference.
So the plan is to pay an underachieving WR big money, not pay one of the better CBs in the league and replace him a rookie? A late first round pick at that? And replace a performing S with a guy who has never been a starter because of his 40 time?
Sounds like 7-9 logic to me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure what the point is.
Joyner and NRC never were a factor in the game....All their control....
So the plan is to pay an underachieving WR big money, not pay one of the better CBs in the league and replace him a rookie? A late first round pick at that? And replace a performing S with a guy who has never been a starter because of his 40 time?
Sounds like 7-9 logic to me.
Sammy underachieved.....I'll buy that....Wide receivers rely on a player to get them the ball...In some respects, they have to rely on a coach/coaching staff to get them involved too. They could be the most dominant player on a team..yet, without help, you'd never know it if they are never given an opportunity to impact a game. I argued as much for Brian Quick....I will argue as much for Sammy. Several of our wr's DID get many opportunities to change the outcome....Several passes were off target and didn't allow for runs after the catches....or were dropped....it happens...In a playoff game, you have to come out hot...take momentum...we didn't do that...instead, we continued to target guys that aren't playmakers....and we continued to not move the chains....only at the end of the 2nd quarter did the offense wake up....not all the way, but you saw a lil of what made us dangerous....had we went to our most dangerous weapon more, Gurley....and our other top playmaker, Sammy, perhaps we score early and often....No way to tell. Watch every remaining playoff team...they make a concerted effort to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers...not rookies...unless the "rookie" is a significant part of the offense.

I don't know if we have one of the better corners in the league....don't know if we have a performing safety. I just saw Matt Ryan complete 70% of his passes to knock us out of the playoffs.

I don't think Cody Davis is around the ball more because of his 40 time....I think he reads opposing QB's better....reacts to the ball in flight better....and gets there faster.....his forty time just helps.

Our defense was maybe 19th overall (better against the pass).....I think we achieved this marginal success due to our pass rush....not necessarily stellar defensive backfield play.

fearsomefour

Legend
Joyner and NRC never were a factor in the game....All their control....

Sammy underachieved.....I'll buy that....Wide receivers rely on a player to get them the ball...In some respects, they have to rely on a coach/coaching staff to get them involved too. They could be the most dominant player on a team..yet, without help, you'd never know it if they are never given an opportunity to impact a game. I argued as much for Brian Quick....I will argue as much for Sammy. Several of our wr's DID get many opportunities to change the outcome....Several passes were off target and didn't allow for runs after the catches....or were dropped....it happens...In a playoff game, you have to come out hot...take momentum...we didn't do that...instead, we continued to target guys that aren't playmakers....and we continued to not move the chains....only at the end of the 2nd quarter did the offense wake up....not all the way, but you saw a lil of what made us dangerous....had we went to our most dangerous weapon more, Gurley....and our other top playmaker, Sammy, perhaps we score early and often....No way to tell. Watch every remaining playoff team...they make a concerted effort to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers...not rookies...unless the "rookie" is a significant part of the offense.

I don't know if we have one of the better corners in the league....don't know if we have a performing safety. I just saw Matt Ryan complete 70% of his passes to knock us out of the playoffs.

I don't think Cody Davis is around the ball more because of his 40 time....I think he reads opposing QB's better....reacts to the ball in flight better....and gets there faster.....his forty time just helps.

Our defense was maybe 19th overall (better against the pass).....I think we achieved this marginal success due to our pass rush....not necessarily stellar defensive backfield play.
Tru is a good corner
I disagree about Davis v Joyner at safety
I agree with statements about WR in that I think it is an overvalued position.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
NRC is a great depth CB and deserves to make a depth CB pay. Hope we keep him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
My shortened comments was to respond in quick to my fellow members quiz. Maybe I should have used some addition wording instead of using the word replacing. Seems your response has aroused many of our members in agreement with you.:LOL:

I am sure that you were short of time & could not respond to all my elements suggested but just decided to throw some negatives on Cody's skills & abilities & to magnify & uplift Lamarcus?? Which is fine because LJ is worthy of such praise but Cody does not deserve to be so maligned. I also noticed you did not offer up any of your own suggestions? I would be interested when you have the time.

I would hope that all of our members realize that Cody Davis could never totally replace what a safety like LJ....or match what he can do to help a DC to call the right defense on game day or in total what a LJ does for your overall defense. But Cody could greatly assist the Rams as they move on from LJ & to develop another future drafted safety like LJ. I sure you know that a Cody Davis signing offers ups some good positive too right? Snead does have a past of doing just that with four recent drafted 2nd day drafted safeties like TJ McDonald, LJ, Alexander & JJ III.

Did you see I also suggested the drafting of a young budget priced safety to go along with the resigning of Cody Davis to assist the young 2nd season star safety JJ III along with 3rd season reserve safeties Countess, Christian & Isaiah Johnson?

When LJ bolts for mega high $$$ deal & Snead fails to sign back a veteran deep safety like safety Cody Davis what is your plan? Whats left ? To utilize & deposit most all the available cap funds & future cap funds in one unit on the trio Trumaine, NR-C & LJ? What about Aaron Donald contract or Goff's UFA starting center & on.....

Another question.... do you have an example where the duo of Snead/Demoff having ever entered into a long mega UFA contract with a Rams starting safety yet?

I am sure you do recall Snead's past pressers & interviews in such discussions (through-out his 7 yrs) commenting that he does not prioritize large salary cap $$$ toward safeties, but favors CB's. Plus we do have recent history where Snead has signed UFA CB's to Deals/Tagging i.e.NR-C, Coty Sensabaugh, Cortland Finnegan & Trumaine Johnson.

Signing Cody Davis for a short term 2 yr contract & the drafting of a young talented safety will save future salary cap mega millions. Where as a deal to secure the services of the soon to be 28 yr old Joyner will help desolate the Rams salary funding, thus hurting the Rams opportunities to improve with econo salary players & assist bring in the needed free agent veterans to plug the UN expected vacancies in the Rams roster.

Oh by the way LJ has always been my #1 want of all the Ram UFA's .. but sometime I don't get what i want.:)Always have a good emergency plan helps in those type situations do you think?
Very well thought out and stated. Lots to ponder here.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Do not see NRC coming back if Tru returns. Rams would use a one of the top 2 draft picks to draft a slot corner to replace him, or if Tru leaves NRC comes back, rams use that pick to draft an outside corner, possible going with a low cost vet to compete. Entirely possible neither return, Rams go a different direction with both spots.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do not see NRC coming back if Tru returns. Rams would use a one of the top 2 draft picks to draft a slot corner to replace him, or if Tru leaves NRC comes back, rams use that pick to draft an outside corner, possible going with a low cost vet to compete. Entirely possible neither return, Rams go a different direction with both spots.
Rams might have some Nickle capable DB's all ready under contract for 2018 & beyond.

If Lamarcus Joyner is back then he would be our Nickle. Then there is safety Blake Countess who has played a good amount of the Nickle & Dime corner positions since we activated him in 2016 his rookie season. 2nd season CB Dom Hatfield under 5-10/170 lbs is a Nickle/Dime corner too.

Its a good deep draft for corners where Snead could knock it out of the ball park again with his scout team on DB's. I lean towards not investing large sums of future cap funds on corners & safeties myself. Sign RFA CB Troy Hill & one out of Trumaine/LJ & NR-C UFA cadre & lean on the draft. Rookie corners have shown for yrs now that they can come in & play heavy in their rookie seasons. Unlike QB's,OL'ers, DL'ers & TE's.

Last edited: