NFL’s Worst Contracts: Is this Rams’ Player Overpaid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Lets say the Foles experiment works out well and the Rams new O identity works....the Oline is young and kicking ass, both RBs are abusing defensives. Well, then it really depends on how he fits into the O. I contended this offseason bringing back Kenricks was huge for the O, because of the total of what he brings. He is a reliable receiver, a very good blocker and a guy that can line up in a couple of different spots. If the Rams are a power team that ends up passing off play action and passing out of two TE power sets Cooks role could become more valuable. So, $8 a year may be reasonable for him.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Cook's cap hit was 4 Million and just under 6.1 Million in the first two years. The next three years will be about 8.3 to 8.4 Million a year. Saying he has not been worth 8 Million per is not fare as he hasn't had that cap hit number just yet. I think he gets close to being worth the price tag with better QB play.

I would say Tavon Austin has taken away more snaps from Bailey than Cook. The cost to get him was very high. I also believe Cook clears things out for the other receivers. Cook's blocking got better too.

First, I will agree about Tavon. You make a good point that he is another player taking snaps away from Bailey.

Second, I think there are some reasonable expectations you can have for a player. If you count last years salary and this upcoming seasons', Cook is averaging 7.2 Mil against the Cap, or you can say he is the highest paid offensive player. With 52 catches on 99 targets and 3 TD's, I can't be happy with the production versus his salary. In comparison, Britt had 48 catches on 84 targets, for more yardage and the same 3 TD's. And, his Avg Cap hit for the same 2 seasons is 2.9-Mil. In addition to this, Bailey had 30 catches on 46 targets and 1 TD, and his Cap hit is only .5 mil. I hope between Cignetti's offensive genieus and Fole's bringing stability and consistency to the QB position, I hope Cook can flourish and put up 10 - 12 TD's. However, if the Rams don't make the playoffs, and his stats for the year are in the range of 60 catches for 700 yards and 5 TD's, I will have to say that it is unreasonable for him to be paid that much money.

Ram65

Legend
First, I will agree about Tavon. You make a good point that he is another player taking snaps away from Bailey.

Second, I think there are some reasonable expectations you can have for a player. If you count last years salary and this upcoming seasons', Cook is averaging 7.2 Mil against the Cap, or you can say he is the highest paid offensive player. With 52 catches on 99 targets and 3 TD's, I can't be happy with the production versus his salary. In comparison, Britt had 48 catches on 84 targets, for more yardage and the same 3 TD's. And, his Avg Cap hit for the same 2 seasons is 2.9-Mil. In addition to this, Bailey had 30 catches on 46 targets and 1 TD, and his Cap hit is only .5 mil. I hope between Cignetti's offensive genieus and Fole's bringing stability and consistency to the QB position, I hope Cook can flourish and put up 10 - 12 TD's. However, if the Rams don't make the playoffs, and his stats for the year are in the range of 60 catches for 700 yards and 5 TD's, I will have to say that it is unreasonable for him to be paid that much money.

Let's say it this way...Cook averaged 5 Million cap hit a year for the first two years because that's what it was.:cool: Comparing Britt on a ONE Year prove it deal is NOT a fare comparison. Britt's new deal is money well spent. Cook and the rest of the Rams offense have to step it up this year. Let's see what happens this year.(y) I look for Bailey to get more playing time too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if I follow the OP and how he determined value, he's projecting Cook future number by averaging his last 2 seasons. Then he's looking at his annual pay # vs like players.
So given those metrics, is there a player in the league in the same stratosphere as Sam Bradford?
He "averaged" only 7 td and 800 yards passing over the last 2 years.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if I follow the OP and how he determined value, he's projecting Cook future number by averaging his last 2 seasons. Then he's looking at his annual pay # vs like players.
So given those metrics, is there a player in the league in the same stratosphere as Sam Bradford?
He "averaged" only 7 td and 800 yards passing over the last 2 years.
Sam Bradford isn't a Ram any more. Not sure what that has to do with Cook and his value to the Rams today.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam Bradford isn't a Ram any more. Not sure what that has to do with Cook and his value to the Rams today.
Might want to re-read what I posted because you missed my point entirely.