NFL scouts share notes on USC and UCLA draft prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And he made Kessler look bad in comparison.

You really have to look at Hundley the last few games: #1 he's healthy, finely got that huge elbow brace off. #2 and most importantly, the OL, which played worse than anyone in the NCAA the first several games, seems to have found a rhythm pass blocking. I mean, they were bad, bad, way worse than our team at any point this year, no comparison, really. #3 he is playing more instinctual instead of forcing things, or more accurately, trying to do what scouts want him to do. He's just balling

Not sure how he made Kessler look bad or if making someone like him look bad even matters.

But, is the Oline really getting it together or has he stopped holding the ball too long trying to show NFL teams that he can handle the traditional pocket passer duties like he stated when interviewed? BTW a high completion percentage is nice, but there have been a few who were able to pull that off making mostly easy throws, too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not sure how he made Kessler look bad or if making someone like him look bad even matters.

But, is the Oline really getting it together or has he stopped holding the ball too long trying to show NFL teams that he can handle the traditional pocket passer duties like he stated when interviewed? BTW a high completion percentage is nice, but there have been a few who were able to pull that off making mostly easy throws, too.
I mentioned Kessler, because it was in the article, and I agree, it really has nothing to do with how Hundley played, or not, kind of stupid for them to make that statement as part of their eval, but....probably stupid of me too, blue font just didn't seem to fit, and anytime I can throw a dig at USC...I will.

As far as throws, he makes a lot of different throws during the course of a game, but he does, as part of the offense, make a lot of swing throws, but he makes those throws and hits guys in perfect stride. Can't ding him for that. He's not as accurate on deep throws, all the time, but can make them, and sometimes they are perfect. Because of the OL, they have been looking better lately. I like his compact, quick release too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As far as throws, he makes a lot of different throws during the course of a game, but he does, as part of the offense, make a lot of swing throws, but he makes those throws and hits guys in perfect stride. Can't ding him for that. He's not as accurate on deep throws, all the time, but can make them, and sometimes they are perfect. Because of the OL, they have been looking better lately. I like his compact, quick release too.

It's quite obvious that the Doctor has seen more of Brett Hundley than any of us so far and thus this question for my esteemed Ram colleague...In you expert opinion can Hundley be a good quarterback in the NFL? Can he read defenses and does he have the processing speed to read the rolling landscape when pressure is bearing down on him and be able to make plays before he is hit?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's quite obvious that the Doctor has seen more of Brett Hundley than any of us so far and thus this question for my esteemed Ram colleague...In you expert opinion can Hundley be a good quarterback in the NFL? Can he read defenses and does he have the processing speed to read the rolling landscape when pressure is bearing down on him and be able to make plays before he is hit?
I think he does, but he's not a day one starter, IMO. He made leaps and bounds this year alone, as far as going through progressions. He will stand tall in the pocket and take a big hit, if his receiver is open, to make a throw. If he's in the middle of a progression, he tucks the ball securely, and scrambles out, usually getting yards. He gets dinged for this, but I have seen him scramble and make the throw too. It just depends on what he see's, so sometimes running, for him, is a progression.

He will need to learn the art of the slide, for his scrambles are usually up the middle, but he's very elusive, and smooth, so he doesn't take a lot of big hits, even though he's not the fastest guy. I'd say he runs in the high 4.5 to 4.6 area. He has a knack for getting the 1st down when doing this, and he's deadly near the goal line. He's played behind a bad offensive line, his whole career, and still set most of the all time passing records at UCLA, so I think he will get better as a QB.

I don't think he anywhere near his ceiling, and his thirst for the game, and his position, is to be one of the best. He puts in the time to do that. There will be a learning curve, because of the offense he plays in, but that can be said for a lot of QB's in college today. He has been coached by some NFL guys, however, and he's a smart kid.

He's pretty unflappable, he has that type of demeanor, and I think that will serve him well, while learning the game. If he makes a mistake, he doesn't pout, or yell at teammates, he talks to them, or gets on the phone to find out what went wrong. He's never out of a game. He can be a game manager too, he doesn't have to be the star, and is just as happy when a teammate makes a play.

I'd be thrilled to get him, especially if we didn't have to move heaven and earth to do it. I think he's in the top 5, possibly top 3, college QB's. I need to do more studying on other guys, and I will, have been already. Like I said, if you scout his last few games, it will give you an idea, of what he can do behind an average offensive line, but I have to say, he won me over on how he played behind a crappy offensive line for three years, took more hits than any other QB in the NCAA, and still won a shit-storm of games against quality opponents.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank you Doctor just maybe Hundley is the antidote for the Rams post season woes and if the Rams could bring back Bradford keep Hill or add somebody else and draft Hundley they would be in better shape at that position then they have been in a very long time.

Again I can only go by what I see, however, I have been only watching him lately and I did not see the Utah game, but IMO I like what I see, but I also agree with others that accuracy and the ability to read defenses will be the two greatest indicators if he can be successful at the next level.