NFL owners to vote on simplified replay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...provement-that-might-simplify-instant-replay/

More details regarding the proposed changes to the instant replay system,which NFL owners will be voting on this week, have emerged. This time, they're coming directly from the NFL.

Rich McKay, the chairman of the competition committee, spoke with USA Today on Saturday and shed some light on the proposal the committee will be presenting to owners in Charlotte on Tuesday. Apparently, the committee isn't looking to simply tweak the rule -- it's looking to completely change the way in which we talk about reviewable plays.

Instead of having a list of plays that are reviewable, the committee wants to use a list of plays that aren't reviewable, as a way to simplify the process.

"This is a step towards that," McKay told USA Today. "What's happened is there have been so many rules added over the years as situations have come up, the rulebook has become cumbersome. We're addressing that."

If this sounds familiar, it's because it should. Earlier this offseason, the Ravenssubmitted a similar proposal. They wanted to give coaches an additional challenge and make every play reviewable, except the following plays (via the Baltimore Sun):

• Offensive and defensive holding
  • Offensive and defensive pass interference
  • Illegal contact
  • Illegal use of hands
  • Whether a forward passer, defenseless receiver or kicker has been forcibly contacted
  • Unsportsmanlike conduct
"Our rule is just a simplification," said head coach John Harbaugh at the time, per the Baltimore Sun. "It makes it easier for the fans. It makes it easier for the officials, for the coaches. Instead of 33 definitions and notes, there are eight. We're saying what's not reviewable, and what's not reviewable are the judgment calls."

Under the committee's proposal, all penalties still won't be reviewable. And they won't give coaches a third challenge. So, the Ravens won't be getting everything they wanted above. Still, while speaking with USA Today, McKay admitted the Ravens should be credited.

"They pushed it in the right direction, no question," McKay said. "I give coach (John) Harbaugh a lot of credit."

As the Washington Post reported last week, another aspect of the proposal is allowing officials to communicate with the league office during reviews, though communication would be limited to administrative issues -- like down and distance, game clock matters, and penalty enforcement. The NFL allowed enhanced communication during the playoffs and the committee wants to expand it to the regular season.

The proposal will need 24 of 32 votes to pass.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Defensive pass interference absolutely needs to be reviewable, that play can completely change the game.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
and what's not reviewable are the judgment calls.
These account for many, if not most, of the bad calls or non-calls. So changing the replay rules to allow review of all the plays except the ones the refs screw up the most is not going to do much to improve the situation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It will probably receive the same vote that L.A. got, when they got approved for SB LV (55) 24-8 on the 1st ballot! ;)

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I know this is slightly off subject (but I don't care) and wouldn't work, but I always thought OPI should be awarded the same yardage as DPI. OPI happens just as much and it's 10 yards vs. 1-99 yards for DPI.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this is slightly off subject (but I don't care) and wouldn't work, but I always thought OPI should be awarded the same yardage as DPI. OPI happens just as much and it's 10 yards vs. 1-99 yards for DPI.
How would that work? If OPI is committed 30 yards down field, its a 30 yard penalty?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This makes too much sense not to pass.
500x281