NFL online store's 25 best-selling jerseys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Johnny Manziel’s jersey the No. 1 seller at NFL’s online store
Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 21, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptgyogqzodrknwyxndgwntcxytqwmjjmmzvkyjc5zjfl-e1405968764689.jpeg
AP

Time will tell if the Browns’ selection of quarterbackJohnny Manziel works out, but this much appears true: from a merchandising standpoint, the move has been a home run thus far.

According to the NFL, Manziel’s Cleveland jersey has outsold all other jerseys from April 1 through July 17 at the league’s online store, NFLShop.com.

The sales of Manziel’s jersey are all the more impressive when you consider he wasn’t drafted until May 8. From there, it appears, sales have taken off, much like the air leaking out of a poorly made inflatable swan.

Manziel isn’t the only rookie whose jersey is selling well. Rams defensive end Michael Sam’s jersey has been the sixth-best seller since April 1, with Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (No. 13), Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney (No. 16) and Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles (No. 18) also selling well.

Here are the 25 best-selling NFL jerseys at the league’s online store from April through mid-July:

1. Browns QB Johnny Manziel.

2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.

3. 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick.

4. Broncos QB Peyton Manning.

5. Seahawks CB Richard Sherman.

6. Rams DE Michael Sam.

7. Patriots QB Tom Brady.

8. Saints QB Drew Brees.

9. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers.

10. Seahawks “12th Fan.”

11. Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch.

12. Eagles RB LeSean McCoy.

13. Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater.

14. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson.

15. Cowboys WR Dez Bryant.

16. Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney.

17. Redskins QB Robert Griffin III.

18. Jaguars QB Blake Bortles.

19. Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill.

20. Seahawks S Earl Thomas.

21. Texans DL J.J. Watt.

22. 49ers ILB Patrick Willis.

23. Panthers QB Cam Newton.

24. Lions WR Calvin Johnson.

25. Colts QB Andrew Luck.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Let's hope #6 is more relevant in five years than #1.

Or #2.

Or #3.

Or that horrid #10. Fuck that thing. Seriously.

Alan

Legend
Somewhere in the U.S. (probably Wyoming) there is a guy who, when he gets up in the morning, has trouble deciding between wearing his Manziel or his Tebow jersey.

RamBill

Legend
Sam's jersey sixth-best seller in NFL
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9755/sams-jersey-sixth-best-seller-in-nfl

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It's pretty common to see a rookie who has never played a game show up on the list of the NFL's best-selling jerseys before training camp even begins. Many college players simply carry the name-value and fan following that makes proving themselves in the NFL unimportant when it comes to purchasing a jersey.

You don't, however, see rookie seventh-round draft picks on the list before they've ever taken a snap. But as we already knew, St. Louis Rams defensive end Michael Sam is clearly not your run-of-the-mill seventh-round draft choice. As the first openly gay player drafted to the NFL, Sam has already become one of the most well-known seventh-round picks of all time.

If you needed any further evidence, simply take a look at the list of the top 10 in jersey sales on NFL.com from April 1 to July 17. Sam's No. 96 jersey checks in at No. 6 on the list, behind established NFL stars such as Denver's Peyton Manning and Seattle's Richard Sherman and ahead of the future Hall of Fame quarterback trio of Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Heady company, for sure.

Sam is also one of only two defensive players -- Sherman the other -- to make the top 10. Clearly, Sam's historic announcement and pursuit of a roster spot in St. Louis has transcended his draft position and made his jersey a hot commodity among fans.

If nothing else, Sam's jersey is already considered something of a collector's item. It will likely continue to sell well, but it's still a piece of memorabilia that could have a short shelf life. There aren't many fans who buy jerseys of a player who is far from a lock to make his team's roster.

That's much different than the situation in Cleveland, where quarterback Johnny Manziel is No. 1 on the list in no small part because of his larger-than-life personality and the profile he brings into the league as a first-round pick. Manziel is a lock to make the roster and the only question surrounding his status in that regard is whether he'll be the opening-day starter.

Sam doesn't enjoy the same luxury as he pursues a spot on the team's initial 53-man roster with the possibility that those No. 96 jerseys could be out of date only months after they were purchased.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Four of the top 5 make me sick. This also shows how many bandwagon fans there are out there when you see 5 Seahawk jersey's in the top 25. And why is Ryan Tannehill a top seller?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Seahawks 12th man jerseys are probably the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of. And the fact it's top ten is just sad.

AZRamsFan93

The Seahawks jerseys represent 3 things:

1. Bandwagon fans
2. The Seahawks are a regional team, and are popular in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, British Columbia, and Alaska.
3. Seahawks fans are rabid. Gotta give them credit - they have a tangible impact on the success of their team. A real home field advantage.

AZRamsFan93

Seahawks 12th man jerseys are probably the stupidest freaking thing I've ever heard of. And the fact it's top ten is just sad.
I wish the Rams fans were as into our team as Seahawks fans are into theirs.

What is sad is that Michael Sam is outselling Robert Quinn.

Given he hasn't played a down, that is clearly not about football, and I would assert many of those jerseys are sold to people who are not Rams fans but are fans of the statement made by the drafting of the player.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Didn't you guys hear? There have been huge sales of 12th Man jerseys sold to Rams fans for the ceremonial burning in front of the EdJD before the Rams vs Hawks game this year...

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I want to get a vintage Brandon Manumaleuna jersey. All I have is a Warner jersey circa 2000. Don't ever wear jerseys anymore... have the Warner one, a Pavol Demitra (RIP) jersey from about 2000 and a Jim Edmonds jersey from '04.

Might be time to update. What do y'all think - Harkey, Stastny and Wacha?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The 12th man, what bullshit. Your average Seachicken fan wearing that is like a dog licking it's own balls. Don't break your arm patting yourselves on the back, Seattle. It'll be back to the basement for you as soon as Lynch hangs it up.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OK I get the bandwagoners and the flavor of the month hype players, but Ryan Tannehill? Really?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Four of the top 5 make me sick. This also shows how many bandwagon fans there are out there when you see 5 Seahawk jersey's in the top 25. And why is Ryan Tannehill a top seller?

OK I get the bandwagoners and the flavor of the month hype players, but Ryan Tannehill? Really?

There's a lot of Dolphins fans. Like a massive amount, especially here in Florida. Everywhere you go, you see a Tannehill jersey. Not surprising to me.

Alan

Legend
DCH looking for advice:
Might be time to update. What do y'all think - Harkey, Stastny and Wacha?
Veltung. We'll be part of a very small crowd of visionaries who got in on the ground floor. :banana:

Get two of them and send one to me. Size: Large

BTW, my son just recently became employed again and as a partial recompense for letting him stay at my house while he was looking for a new job he bought me my first official jersey I've ever owned. It was on sale for $30. #26 Richardson.
I'm wearing it now and I have to say I'm looking good. :shades:

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Veltung. We'll be part of a very small crowd of visionaries who got in on the ground floor. :banana:

Get two of them and send one to me. Size: Large

BTW, myson just recently became employed again and as a partial recompense for letting him stay at my house while he was looking for a new job he bought me my first official jersey I've ever owned. It was on sale for $30. #26 Richardson.
I'm wearing it now and I have to say I'm looking good. :shades:
Nice. I wonder if I should get an "ironic" official jersey... like Wayne Hunter or Jacob Bell. Maybe Mardy Gilyard.

Alan

Legend
You're too late to pick those up @DCH cause they were all grabbed by foreign speculators. :(