NFL offseason rules are brutal for QB development

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
To your points:

Have you got proof that it has not reduced injuries. I know they (injuries) are down are down. Shows me your stats that say they are not.

An iPad has a 6 hour limit? Show me the clause in the CBA, The point I was trying to make is you can front load the info for players AND not have to be WITH the coaches to learn/improve.

Talk to the players that went to camp in the "old days" and they will tell you they were broke and used.

According to Men's Journal who says they have been tracking injuries, there was a peak in 2012 and a decline in 2013 and 2014. They profess that the difference is in tackling rules. If they peaked in 2012 the CBA may be had something to do with fewer preseason injuries but little or nothing to do with it after the season began. Many believe the lack of contact in preseason lead to more injuries because the players simply were not ready for the start of the season.

The 6 hour limit has nothing to do with the capacity of the ipad and you know it. It has everything to do with what the players are allowed under the contract. No contact nada nothing. They can have it once they start OTAs.

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventur...n-in-nfl-history-nope-not-even-close-20151203

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"The new collective bargaining agreement creates too much time for the players to rest their bodies. As one front office exec told me, long rest helps joints, but long rest isn't great for tendons," ESPN's John Clayton writes.

He added, "If the players aren't doing enough running or training to keep the tendons constantly working, they are vulnerable to the ACL tears, Achilles pulls and other injuries that have hit teams."

Forbes' Leigh Steinberg wrote the same thing, saying injuries are inevitable when players stop hitting each other for an extended period of time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Keeping with that view, could the same be said for Jared Goff, who was picked No. 1 overall by the Los Angeles Rams? The Cal product and spread-system/air-raid QB got to see Williams' defense up close throughout OTAs and minicamps in L.A. Hey, that's a quick introduction to some crazy looks when the quarterback comes to the line of scrimmage.

But even with the practice reps for Goff, there is still going to be a transition period. And it could be bumpy -- really bumpy if he starts the season atop the depth chart. No different than we saw with Mariota. Or with Winston. Up and down. Learn on the fly.

As one AFC coach told me about Goff possibly opening up as the starter for the Rams this year: "I wish we had them on the schedule."

Is that a knock on Goff's talent, his skill set? Nah, it's not. I've talked to coaches and scouts who see Goff developing into a really good pro. Instead, it's a knock on the process, the limited prep time.
This reinforces my opinion that Goff shouldn't Start week #1!! maybe he'll show us all something in pre-season, and I'll change my mind, But as of now I'm a little scared of the idea of Goff starting Week 1 or 2! JMHO

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Your assuming that they do not leave OTAs with a iPad loaded with the playbook, film from camp and a list of what they need to learn/improve on which in most cases is more effective info than they had previously. What the CBA did is to drastically eliminate contact which is the major reason players are hurt. With the new technology improvements I very seriously doubt that they cannot train and teach. If they are good coaches, they know how to and will adapt. Go back and look at the QBs who balled out their rookie year since the new CB.... Luck, Wilson Griffin, Newton, Dalton, Winston, Mariota all did well because of commitment, pure skill and COACHING. The ones that did not was not because of the CBA, just a Red Herring.
Did you read the article? I'm going exactly by what the article said. And to think that these kids are not helped by being coached up more than the restricted 6 hours is simply not based in any kind of reality.

Red Herring? That doesn't even fit this discussion. How 'bout you come up with some players that are saying these restrictions have been good for their development.

I haven't seen anything that says injuries are down league wide - especially during what used to be the normal off season schedule or to QBs in particular. The idea that they wouldn't be helped by interaction with their coaches or by being able to study film in the elaborate film rooms owned by their NFL teams is constantly being brought up as a negative by coaches and players alike goes against common sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Have you got proof that it has not reduced injuries. I know they (injuries) are down are down. Shows me your stats that say they are not.
Do you have proof to the contrary? Specifically that the issues raised in the article are incorrect? No contact with coaches. No access to NFL film rooms. Practicing route running and timing between receivers and QBs. Etc....

An iPad has a 6 hour limit? Show me the clause in the CBA, The point I was trying to make is you can front load the info for players AND not have to be WITH the coaches to learn/improve.
I would agree that I haven't seen a time limit they can have with their tablets. But the 6 hour limit doesn't apply to the ability to look at a 7" screen. It applies to them having access to a mentor that can work with them on what they are seeing - especially as rookies that have never seen many of these concepts.

Talk to the players that went to camp in the "old days" and they will tell you they were broke and used.
There is such a thing as taking something too far. It sure seems that these rules within the CBA are doing just that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Classroom work and walk throughs don't shorten a players career and they should allow more of that. There are blackouts where coaches can't even talk to a player, that's just dumb.

I'm totally OK with reducing the full contact stuff that makes plenty of sense so on that we agree 100%..........but why reduce opportunities to get more mental work and gain better understanding of a scheme........I don't get it.
Bingo.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Orchid, you must be one of those "gizmo" people who have their eyes glued to their gizmo and walk into telephone poles :unsure: . You can download all the info you want, but a gizmo doesn't answer questions or explain concepts, that what coaching does.