NFL hears London calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambition

Rookie
NFL Hears London Calling
By Lee Ostaszewski
Posted Nov. 16, 2014 @ 12:20 am

The National Football League keeps threatening to put a team in London. As in London, England. As in Merry Olde England. As in home of William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and Benny Hill.

In other words, they think it would be a great idea to stick a team on the other side of the Atlantic. A place where their football is really our soccer. Which poses the first problem: What are the British supposed to call the sport?

They already have something called football. They could simply call it American football, but that seems too obvious. Besides, it’s not as if we refer to soccer as “foreign football.” Although, come to think of it, maybe we should. I like the sound of it.

And don’t write in suggesting we should start calling soccer “world football.” Hey, America is part of the world too, you know. It is not our football. Instead of calling it “foreign football” Americans went ahead and coined an entirely new name for the sport: soccer. The name caught on quicker than the sport itself. So maybe in England they already have a new name in mind for our football. Perhaps passerball or knickerchuckles, some idiotic name the same way they call a truck a lorry.

“The pitch is green, the hooligans have set fire to the end zone, we are ready for a great match of knikerchuckles between the Cowboys of Dallas, Texas, USA, and our own London Blokes. Here’s the first boot by the Blokes and it bounces past the flames and out of the end zone. I believe that means we scored. Jolly good job, Blokes. No, wait. I’m being told it means the Cowboys get the ball at the 20-meter line. What? We are going to a commercial? Already? It’s not halftime.”

In any case, Carrie Underwood will need to change the song.
“Waitin’ all day/evening for Sunday Night/early Monday Morning for football/knickerchuckles on NBC/BBC.”

If the NFL in England really wanted to confuse matters about the name – and from watching British television shows all my life it seems they enjoy confusing matters - they should simply refer to our American-brand football as soccer.

I said that the NFL is threatening to move a team to London. There are no actual plans. It might only be an idle threat. I am not sure how sincere they truly are. For starters, who in the NFL really wants this? Not the fans, who are told by talk radio to dread the long flight and strange water when teams play in London. Not the coaches, who hate anything out of the team’s normal routine. Not the players, who are generally unaware of what city they are in and would be shocked to suddenly realize the team bus is driving on the wrong side of the road.

That would get their cardio up.

But most everyone understands how professional sports teams operate these days. If a team feels it deserves millions of taxpayer dollars for improvements, it will throw a tantrum to get it. For instance, a common strategy to force communities to pay for infrastructure or stadium upgrades the team could afford is to threaten to move the team to another city.

With London in the mix, team owners have a perennial go-to threat to use. Let’s say the Rams owners are not feeling the love in St. Louis, which would be strange since St. Louis has the nicest fans in the world. One of their popular cheers during a game is, “Good try, guys.”

The St. Louis owners could threaten to move the team to Phoenix. Oh, wait, that already happened once. They could threaten to move the Rams back to Los Angeles (Typical Los Angeles response: “The Rams left L.A.? When?”)

London would be a much more effective threat, mostly because it will always be available. And if the NFL ever did put a team there, I could get used to calling it knickerchuckles.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20141116/OPINION/141117201/11606/OPINION/?Start=2

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a ridiculously poor article. The only redeeming feature was the mention of Benny Hill.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
An article about the UK and no mention of Mary Poppins? naaaa, not having that

Seriously though, what was that article even about?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A team in London? That home field advantage would be insane. Ditto for the road game disadvantages. Traveling would be a major drag on the coaches and players. That team would go 8-8 every year.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
The National Football League keeps threatening to put a team in London. As in London, England. As in Merry Olde England. As in home of William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and Benny Hill.

For a second I thought they were talking about London, KY, home of The Chicken Festival.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
And another relocation thread, and a bad one at that.
Tho the idea of in the future reading the London Times version or RamStalk is intriguing.:eek:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This article made me notice we need a better more emphatic eyeroll smilie.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
As an Englishman I find that article and it's tired stereotypes to be highly offensive. I was so offended in fact that I dropped my monocle into my cup of tea and had to get my butler to retrieve it for me

Irish

Starter
London fascinates me, and I say that as a fan who would be DEVASTATED if I lost my team to another city.

Most likely, the team would be based on the East coast. Their practice facilities and everything would be stateside, and they would travel on friday afternoon, play Sunday, and fly back either Sunday night/monday morning. their opponents would get a bye week the week following the game. And, if the team ever had to travel to the West Coast, it would be the equivalent of the Giants doing it as opposed to having to go from London to San Fran.

Honestly, it makes a lot of sense, and I love the idea of our football going global.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
There is a enormous appetite for the NFL over here. Enormous. So much so that we have all picked teams to root for already.

If London gets a team then the only time I'll be there is when the Rams are visiting. Keep bringing the games (and a Super Bowl please) but the idea of a full time franchise based here is nonsensical.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
There is a enormous appetite for the NFL over here. Enormous. So much so that we have all picked teams to root for already.

If London gets a team then the only time I'll be there is when the Rams are visiting. Keep bringing the games (and a Super Bowl please) but the idea of a full time franchise based here is nonsensical.

^ This

Status
Not open for further replies.