NFL Draft: Offensive linemen + Rams Needs/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Draft: Offensive linemen
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_99de42bd-83b4-53eb-8908-f268b5135d7b.html

CREAM OF THE CROP

Player, position, school, height, weight

BRANDON SCHERFF, G/T, Iowa, 6-5, 319

• Strong, tough; many think he’s this year’s version of Zack Martin.

ANDRUS PEAT, T, Stanford, 6-7, 313

• Not a finished product, but has the frame, athleticism to dominate.

LA’EL COLLINS, G/T, LSU, 6-4, 305

•Won n Jacobs Blocking Trophy as top O-lineman in SEC in 2014.

D.J. HUMPHRIES, T, Florida, 6-5, 307

• Played in 280-295 range; must work to add weight and strength.

ERECK FLOWERS, T, Miami (Fla.), 6-6, 329

• Powerful, tough wide-body probably is best suited as RT in NFL.

DON’T OVERLOOK

A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina; T.J. Clemmings, T, Pittsburgh; Cameron Erving, C, Florida State; Jake Fisher, T, Oregon; Ali Marpet, G/T, Hobart.

LOCAL LINE

Mitch Morse of Missouri could play guard or center in the NFL and is projected as a mid-round pick.

FUN FACT

After a stellar career for the Hobart College Statesmen of Geneva, N.Y., Marpet was the only Division III player invited to the Senior Bowl.

QUOTABLE

“I had MRI Monday. Knee scope on Tuesday. I practiced Wednesday and Thursday, and then played (against Iowa State) on Saturday.”

—IOWA’S BRANDON SCHERFF, on his one-week return from knee surgery last September.

RAMS NEEDS

Only four players on the current roster have started an NFL regular-season game, and the search continues for a starting center, right guard, and right tackle. The Rams may have to lean heavily on the draft to fill out this unit, although veterans such as right tackle Joe Barksdale and guard Justin Blalock remain available in free agency. With 12 of their 22 known pre-draft visits being offensive linemen, the Rams are checking out all options.

RATING THE FIELD

There is less star quality in this year’s class unlike recent years. Even so, as many as seven offensive linemen could go in Round 1. The two top guard prospects, Scherff and Collins, played tackle in college. Peat, and possibly Humphries, may be the only top line prospects who definitely project as left tackles in the pros. Starting caliber guards should be available in Round 3 and maybe Round 4.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams have plenty of draft options for O-line
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4b21b27f-bedd-55ba-963a-68a082c131d8.html

Iowa’s Brandon Scherff is widely regarded as the best offensive lineman in the draft. He lifts weights in mass quantities, shrugs off knee injuries as if there were insect bites, and excels at run-blocking.

With all that in mind, he seems to be a logical choice for the Rams — if he’s still on the board — at No. 10 overall.

“A guy like Scherff is a lot like Zack Martin,” said an NFC scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “You plug him in, you put him at guard, and you’ve probably got yourself a hell of a rookie.”

Martin went from college tackle at Notre Dame to All-Pro status at guard as a rookie last season for the Dallas Cowboys. DeMarco Murray wouldn’t have gotten all of his league-leading 1,845 yards rushing without him.

But not everyone is aboard the Scherff train as we approach next week’s draft.

“I wouldn’t touch him early,” said an AFC scout. “Now he’s an NFL starter, but is he that much of a difference-maker? Hell no.”

This particular scout feels that Scherff isn’t that much better of a prospect than Missouri’s Mitch Morse, who played tackle last year in college and also projects as a guard in the NFL. (Some teams are also looking at Morse at center.)

Anyway, back to our AFC scout: “Unless it’s an elite left tackle, you can find good enough blockers later.”

Adding to the Scherff uncertainty is the fact that there have been 12 confirmed predraft visits by offensive linemen to Rams Park this month. But Scherff wasn’t one of them — though he could’ve come and gone without detection.

Or coach Jeff Fisher could be disguising his interest in Scherff by not inviting him to Earth City. But Scherff’s apparent absence is unusual since the vast majority of players taken in the first and second rounds by the Rams under Fisher and general manager Les Snead have been those who made predraft visits.

Whether it’s Scherff or not, with the help-wanted sign posted at three of five positions on the offensive line — center, right guard and right tackle — the Rams have plenty of options in a well-stocked pool of blockers.

One intriguing prospect, and probably the best left tackle prospect this year, is Stanford’s Andrus Peat, the son of former St. Louis football Cardinals offensive guard Todd Peat.

Peat has great size (6-7, 313) and athleticism. He looks the part. But ...

“I don’t like him as well as the first three,” says Rick Venturi, former Rams assistant coach and current NFL radio analyst. “I don’t think he’s as tough. He’s got a lot of ability but doesn’t have that nasty temperament like (Ereck) Flowers or (La’el) Collins.

By “first three,” Venturi was referring to Scherff, Flowers of Miami (Fla.) and Collins of Louisiana State. He regards them as the three blue-chip offensive linemen in this year’s draft.

Flowers excels at run blocking and is strong, as evidenced by his 37 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press. “I love the weight room,” Flowers said.

Venturi calls both Scherff and Collins “vicious” blockers and smart players. As much as he likes Flowers, Venturi believes he could be better suited to right tackle in the NFL, as opposed to left tackle.

And that’s part of the O-line dilemma this year. Other than Peat, almost all of the top prospects don’t necessarily project as left tackles. Similar to Scherff, many scouts and draft analysts think Collins’ best position at the next level is guard.

As for Peat, well, he’s heard the finesse player/not mean enough rap for a while.

“I beg to differ on that,” Peat said at the NFL Scouting Combine two months ago. “I feel like I’m a tough player, so I don’t know what to say to that.”

Peat, Collins and Flowers all have made predraft stops at Rams Park. So have Florida tackle D.J. Humphries, Florida State center Cameron Erving and Pittsburgh tackle T.J. Clemmings, among others.

All are considered first-round talent, and mock drafts have most situated anywhere from No. 10 overall to the bottom of the round. Chalk that up to different teams, different schemes and obviously different opinions in the scouts’ eyes.

Clemmings is considered a terrific athlete, with more than enough ability to be a successful NFL left tackle. But he began his college career as a defensive lineman, and once he switched to offense played right tackle.

“When they put him on the left side in the Senior Bowl practices, he was just lost,” Venturi said. “He was completely lost.”

Humphries of Florida is the kind of player the Rams have leaned toward draft-wise during the Fisher-Snead regime: lots of potential, upside and athletic ability — but very raw.

He played between 280 and 295 pounds his last couple of seasons at Florida, too light by NFL standards to play offensive tackle. He has a hard time putting on and retaining weight, so it was a surprise when he checked in at 307 pounds at the Combine.

“I was really just trying to let the world see that I can be 300-plus because I haven’t been that in college,” Humphries said. “That’s very vital for the NFL. I can’t play in the NFL at 290-something.”

Venturi, for one, thinks Humphries looks and works out better than he plays.

“He has everything to be a left tackle,” Venturi said. “Terrific athlete in the workouts. Except I don’t see it on tape. I have not seen production out of that guy.”

Memphis Ram

Legend
But not everyone is aboard the Scherff train as we approach next week’s draft.

“I wouldn’t touch him early,” said an AFC scout. “Now he’s an NFL starter, but is he that much of a difference-maker? Hell no.”

Anyway, back to our AFC scout: “Unless it’s an elite left tackle, you can find good enough blockers later.”

clapping-crowd-applause.gif

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
“Unless it’s an elite left tackle, you can find good enough blockers later.”

And after eleven years, we are still waiting for this to work.

Memphis Ram

Legend

They have. What they haven't found in 11 years is the right QB / Offensive Coordinator combo.

On top of all that, later could mean any round outside of round one (or even later in round one) which includes rounds 2-4. Got to choose them to find them. But, the Rams have gone the free agency route instead.

Athos

Legend

There have been great OGs after the 1st.

It isn't the belief that's faulty. It's the guys picking the wrong players or not picking them altogether.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Its kind of splitting but "said scout" states he is a starter but not a difference maker. Well most starters make a difference. Also is a good enough blocker a starter? Not sure where this guys is coming from.
Although I prefer L. Collins for the Rams, I wont cry if we get Scherff. Robinson and Scherff on the left side of the line will be able to open up some significant holes in the run game. To me that is a player making a difference.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Its kind of splitting but "said scout" states he is a starter but not a difference maker. Well most starters make a difference. Also is a good enough blocker a starter? Not sure where this guys is coming from.
Although I prefer L. Collins for the Rams, I wont cry if we get Scherff. Robinson and Scherff on the left side of the line will be able to open up some significant holes in the run game. To me that is a player making a difference.
Gee. It seemed obvious to me that good enough blockers meant starters. Otherwise they wouldn't be good enough in comparison.

But in the end he helps make my point. Unless an elite interior lineman is being compared to a bad one, is there really that much of a difference being made by these guys?

Zack Martin was an All Pro last year, yet the Cowboys had a good offense & ran the ball well before he got there. Did he really make a difference?

The only difference making is haves vs. have nots. And this scout agrees that you can get a have outside of round one.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Gee. It seemed obvious to me that good enough blockers meant starters. Otherwise they wouldn't be good enough in comparison.

But in the end he helps make my point. Unless an elite interior lineman is being compared to a bad one, is there really that much of a difference being made by these guys?

Zack Martin was an All Pro last year, yet the Cowboys had a good offense & ran the ball well before he got there. Did he really make a difference?

The only difference making is haves vs. have nots. And this scout agrees that you can get a have outside of round one.

I admitted to splitting hairs lol, so some was said in jest. As for Martin, Dallas ran for 2354 yards last year compared to 1504 the year before. The offensive line can be a tricky unit to evaluate. You can see on film a player get burnt and get credit for a sack against, but in some of those plays it does not factor in a blown assignment by another lineman. To understand the true impact Martin made you would have to remove him from the lineup and see what happens.

Also you can have 5 pro bowl caliber linemen, if there is no continuity then the line is still going to get suck. So the way to make a difference on the line is to have 5 guys on the same page. If your oline sucks the impact is undeniable. The Rams still need an impact player on the line. For a oline as the Rams appears, I think a guy like Scherff will have a significant impact. I feel the same way about Collins. If the plan is to fill up on 3-5th round picks with our current crop, I don't think that is a smart decision.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I admitted to splitting hairs lol, so some was said in jest. As for Martin, Dallas ran for 2354 yards last year compared to 1504 the year before. The offensive line can be a tricky unit to evaluate. You can see on film a player get burnt and get credit for a sack against, but in some of those plays it does not factor in a blown assignment by another lineman. To understand the true impact Martin made you would have to remove him from the lineup and see what happens.

Also you can have 5 pro bowl caliber linemen, if there is no continuity then the line is still going to get suck. So the way to make a difference on the line is to have 5 guys on the same page. If your oline sucks the impact is undeniable. The Rams still need an impact player on the line. For a oline as the Rams appears, I think a guy like Scherff will have a significant impact. I feel the same way about Collins. If the plan is to fill up on 3-5th round picks with our current crop, I don't think that is a smart decision.

Well the same line minus Martin averaged 4.5 yards per carry (Murray 5.2 ypc) in 2013. Thanks to Romo's back woes, common sense, and Murray staying healthy 16 games, they committed more to the running game in 2014.

I'm sure the Rams can find a good immediate starter in the 3rd and perhaps the 4th round in this deep interior line draft class.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
“I beg to differ on that,” Peat said at the NFL Scouting Combine two months ago. “I feel like I’m a tough player, so I don’t know what to say to that.”

"I beg to differ and I will take a spot of tea with my crumpets Charles." I feel like I am a tough player? Is that all he said? This guy needs to take some lessons from Stone Cold Steve Austin. I would have liked it better if he threatened the people saying that he is tough.....like 'I'll find out who said that and kick their door in and punch them in the mouth, then I will go to their parents house and reach down their moms throat and rip her lungs out!'

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams don't need a Left Tackle unless they have given up on GRob playing on the left side. But there is a lot of reference in this article about 'he is not a left tackle in the NFL'. So are they getting at that the Rams need a left tackle?

I agree that Scherf is not necessary in the top ten. I, like Boston prefer Collins. However if the Rams think he is a top six elite talent then they have to pick him if he is there, don't they?

I would be fine with Collins or Scherf or Flowers at ten if the Rams were not passing on White/Cooper/Fowler/Williams and if they exhausted all trade avenues before picking the one that they feel is the best of the lot.

I don't like the idea of Humphries. If A linemen struggles to keep on weight what happens over the course of the season? How does he keep the weight on? Will he end up like Jacob Bell where he just cannot do it?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Well the same line minus Martin averaged 4.5 yards per carry (Murray 5.2 ypc) in 2013. Thanks to Romo's back woes, common sense, and Murray staying healthy 16 games, they committed more to the running game in 2014.

I'm sure the Rams can find a good immediate starter in the 3rd and perhaps the 4th round in this deep interior line draft class.

You right YPC was the same. To be clear I have been consistent for months that there are 5 to 6 starters that will be available 3rd round and down. Guys like Miller, Jackson, Matias, Finney, Gallik, to name just a few. Also my personal favorite Shaq Mason.

My larger point is if you think Collins and Scherff can be Pro Bowl level guards and you have a need go for it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You right YPC was the same. To be clear I have been consistent for months that there are 5 to 6 starters that will be available 3rd round and down. Guys like Miller, Jackson, Matias, Finney, Gallik, to name just a few. Also my personal favorite Shaq Mason.

My larger point is if you think Collins and Scherff can be Pro Bowl level guards and you have a need go for it.

I know. Of course, my point is that you don't need Pro Bowl guards to have success on offense. Just 5 solid to above average guys on the same page. What this team needs is a difference maker with that top 10 selection. ie. Scherff or Collins aren't going to make any more of a difference at guard than any other above average selection. It's just the nature of the position. See the Zack Martin example.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I know. Of course, my point is that you don't need Pro Bowl guards to have success on offense. Just 5 solid to above average guys on the same page. What this team needs is a difference maker with that top 10 selection. ie. Scherff or Collins aren't going to make any more of a difference at guard than any other above average selection. It's just the nature of the position. See the Zack Martin example.

Can't say I disagree lol. I just wonder if that player will be there. Realistically Parker is the "difference maker" that most likely will be available but I'm not 100% sold on him. Do you like him?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Can't say I disagree lol. I just wonder if that player will be there. Realistically Parker is the "difference maker" that most likely will be available but I'm not 100% sold on him. Do you like him?

I rate Parker on the same level and White and Cooper. 1A, 1B, and 1C. It's hard for me to say that one is clearly better than the other. They are just different. That wingspan/catch radius Parker has is simply ridiculous.

Athos

Legend
I'd be happy with Parker at 10.

Yep. And my wish/want is that Snisher actually sees something in Barnes/Rhaney/Jones that we don't. Health being the 1st, legitimate starter talent the 2nd.

Would make a world of difference.

In any event, maybe it is homerism, but I think Mitch Morse could be a great interior guy in the NFL. He's massively strong unlike Barnes coming out and plays a clean game. And didn't he have a high-sparq?

Just plenty of OGs available.

Can't wait till this shit finally starts playing out. I'm exhausted talking about it now.