NFL Draft Discussion: Rounds 4-7

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Joyner at Nickel CB Davis and McLeod to compete for other starting Safety job. Davis is bigger, faster, and a better tackler than McLeod and now has a year under his belt, much like McLeod did at this time last year.

What about Reid. I think Fisher really likes this guy in the slot

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has anyone here seen Alexander play? I haven't. So I can't really complain about the pick. I have no idea if it's a good or bad pick.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand it. He may someday be a good player.... but he definitely wasn't (or couldn't be) the BPA on their board. Huge reach here

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't understand it. He may someday be a good player.... but he definitely wasn't (or couldn't be) the BPA on their board. Huge reach here

He definitely could be. Team's draft boards don't tend to line-up with media draft boards.

As I posted earlier, Bob McGinn who has a lot of sources around the league, listed Alexander as a 4th rounder. Seems like this is the range he was expected to go in.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Has anyone here seen Alexander play? I haven't. So I can't really complain about the pick. I have no idea if it's a good or bad pick.

Agree. But I think that is why people are questioning the pick because he did not drum up enough interest for people to see him play.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
he fits what it an obvious pattern of being one of those athletic S/LB hybrid guys, undersized as a LB, but very ATHLETIC hey are staying true to their board, and NOT drafting for NEED,, which I realize is a foreign concept in these parts.

This is a DEPTH choice and most likely will be a special teams demon.

Alan

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mo-alexander?id=2543677
OVERVIEW
Birth name is Maurice. St. Louis native who also earned all-state recognition in wrestling and track as a prep. Began his college career at Arizona Western College in 2009, playing in 10 games and recording 81 tackles and two interceptions with 17.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks and two forced fumbles. Appeared in 12 games in 2010 and had 98 tackles, four pass breakups and one interception with 19 tackles for loss (for 116 yards), eight sacks and one forced fumble. The 19 tackles for loss ranked second in the NJCAA, and the yards lost total ranked first. Moved on to Utah State in 2011 and played outside linebacker, appearing in 12 games (eight starts) with 45 tackles, seven tackles for loss, three sacks and one pass breakup. During the off-season, he punched a teammate in the face after a party, and charges were filed (the teammate subsequently underwent emergency surgery). He originally faced a second-degree felony, but he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault resulting in bodily injury, a class A misdemeanor. After initially being ordered to serve a year in jail, the judge suspended all but 45 days of the jail sentence. He was kicked off the team for the 2012 season but was given a second chance, returning in 2013. He started 13 games at free safety, registering 80 tackles, six pass breakups and one interception with nine tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Missed the Poinsettia Bowl after undergoing wrist surgery, which also prevented him from bench pressing at the combine (medical exclusion).

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Explosive, punishing tackler. Very good size and movement skills. Has a 38-inch vertical jump and explosion in his legs. Covers ground fast and is surprisingly loose-hipped for a converted linebacker. Drops into the box and fits in the run game. Physical tackler. Effective blitzer. Aggressive and energetic. Has special-teams experience.
WEAKNESSES
Miscast in deep coverage. Has man-coverage limitations. Lacks ideal foot speed to adjust to quick slot receivers. Average hands. Inconsistent ball reactions -- in position to make plays, but doesn't. Can be overaggressive and take poor angles. Was kicked off the team and dealt with criminal assault charges for an altercation with a teammate. Very raw understanding of coverages and football concepts.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 4-5
BOTTOM LINE
Big, physical, athletic, converted linebacker with very intriguing athletic traits. Was humbled by the loss of football as a junior and made the most of his second chance as a senior. Graded well in his first year in the secondary and solid combine showing helped his draft standing. Possesses the size, aggressiveness, striking ability and movement skill desired at the position, yet will require considerable patience to be groomed.

Last edited:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That's a good point. The only thing is that it's clear that we need a FS, and from what I've read he's strictly a SS

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I just thought they would go QB here. Not having a 5th rd. pick ... gonna be slim in the 6th, no?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

From the ten minutes of youtube I've seen, he's a box type of safety with limited coverage skills. Think we need an FS, but if they want to draft for depth that's fine. Just am not a fan of the pick myself.