NFL Combine 2015: Matt Bowen's Day 3 & 4 Notebook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Combine 2015: Matt Bowen's Day 3 Notebook
By Matt Bowen , NFL National Lead Writer
Feb 20, 2015

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2371958-nfl-combine-2015-matt-bowens-day-3-notebook

INDIANAPOLIS — Throughout the NFL Scouting Combine, former NFL defensive back Matt Bowen will bring you his daily notebook from Indianapolis. Here are his notes from Day 3.

Alabama Safety a Top-10 Pick?

Alabama safety Landon Collins is the top-rated safety on the majority of team boards, but does he have the type of talent that warrants a top-10 grade?

Scouts say Collins has "some thump to him" when he plays downhill and also displays the flexibility/range to get off the numbers in the deep half. He is a solid blitzer off the edge, and he has the ball skills to finish at the point of attack. He shows up consistently in critical situations to make a play for his team.

Some scouts want to see more from Collins in man-coverage situations, but that's a developmental skill, from my perspective, that improves with pro coaching and technique.

On tape, his footwork is controlled when he drops down into the front (with little wasted movement), and he has the versatility to play a variety of roles for NFL defenses that utilize their safeties underneath in nickel and dime packages. That's where Collins can produce as an underneath defender who "matches" (or carries) the seam with help rolling over the top.

Think of a system that is similar to Gregg Williams' defense in St. Louis—a scheme that maximizes the talent of defensive backs by putting the safeties in multiple alignments to produce and create chaos.

I do see Collins as a first-round pick, and his stock should increase given the lack of overall talent in the draft class, but is he a top-10 guy? I don't know about that. If you are going to grab a safety near the top of the draft, he needs to be a unique talent like my former Redskins teammate Sean Taylor—the type of player who changes the game.

Winston Will Throw on Saturday

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston spoke Friday and said he was in Indianapolis to "gain the trust of all 32 teams" along with stressing the need (multiple times) to become the "face of a franchise" in the NFL.

However, more importantly, he announced that he would throw on Saturday morning during the quarterback workout. That wasn't expected earlier in the week, but now it sounds like we will see both Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota on the field working with receivers.

The quarterbacks will throw the entire route tree Saturday morning. As I said before, Winston and Mariota are working with new receivers. That could affect timing, ball placement, etc. But you can still focus on mechanics, footwork, release point and velocity. Those elements are more important than the end result of a curl, slant or skinny post during a workout. I'm excited to watch these two compete.

LSU Offensive Tackle Displays his Athletic Ability

LSU's La'el Collins displayed fluid movement skills throughout drills on Friday, and that backs up what I saw from him at the Senior Bowl. Given his size and frame (6'4", 305 lbs), Collins stood out during the workout because of his lateral movement and quickness out of his stance. And he also has the power at the point of attack to move defenders off the ball.

Collins produced a 1.86 10-yard split in the 40 and displayed the type of athletic ability in positional drills that does transition to his game tape. He solidified his stock as a first-round prospect with his workout Friday and could be a top-20 pick this April in the draft.

The Tight Ends Get on the Field

The 2015 tight end class isn't deep and lacks the overall top-end talent we have seen in previous years. Maxx Williams (Minnesota) and Clive Walford (Miami) are considered the top two prospects at the position, but neither posted a 40 time on Friday that jumps out. Williams (6'4", 249 lbs) ran a 4.78, and Walford (6'4", 251 lbs) checked in at a 4.79.

Williams is a classic "in-line" tight end who can block in the run game, and he did catch the ball cleanly during workouts while showing solid route-running technique. Walford has the ability to win on the route stem and can create some matchups versus a linebacker or safety (as he displayed at the Senior Bowl).

However, if you are looking for a top-tier tight end who can consistently stretch the field and take over inside of the 20-yard line, this class doesn't have a true "matchup weapon" at the position.

Gregory's Weigh-In Creates a Buzz in Indy

When outside linebacker Randy Gregory weighed in on Friday morning at a lean 235 pounds, the Nebraska product became the topic of discussion on the media room floor. Why was his weight down? Can he add more size? How would the weigh-in impact his stock and his future as an edge defender in the NFL?

From what I hear, NFL teams aren't concerned at this point. The former Cornhusker can still add around 10 pounds to push the scale up to 245, plus he isn't a fit as a defensive end in a 4-3 front. Gregory is being projected as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme and should showcase his athletic ability during testing on Sunday morning inside of Lucas Oil Stadium.

Where is the Hype for Duke Johnson?

The 2015 running back class has generated a lot of buzz in Indianapolis. This group is deep, and both Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon and Georgia's Todd Gurley could potentially come off the board at the back end of the first round.

However, for all the talk surrounding the talent level of this class, where is the talk, or the hype, for Miami running back Duke Johnson? He measured in at 5'9", 207 pounds and played in a pro-style offense under Al Golden, plus his skill set should quickly transition to the NFL game.

A prospect with a compact build, he has the acceleration to produce in a pro system, can catch the ball out of the backfield and will block in the passing game. And pass protection is the key to getting on the field early for any rookie running back.

Johnson is expected to showcase his speed when he runs with the rest of the backs on Saturday, but the game film should be the true factor with his final grade. He is a solid, second-round prospect who is flying under the radar here.

Gurley Declines Medical Exams for His Injured Knee

According to NFL.com's Michael Silver, via NFL.com's Chase Goodbread, Georgia running back Todd Gurley declined to have his knee examined during medical checks after suffering an ACL injury during the season.

The medical exam is one of the most important aspects of the combine for prospects as they run through a gauntlet of joint testing, etc., with NFL teams in Indianapolis. Doctors and trainers for every club will pull, push and rake on knees and shoulders during these exams to check for possible injuries or instability. I went through it as a player back at the 2000 combine, and it is an exhausting experience that exposes even "minor" deficiencies in your body.

Some teams will question Gurley's decision to pass on this exam (which is rare), but I can also see why the Georgia running back would decline to have a team doctor aggressively test his surgically repaired knee at this point in the rehab process.

Now, Gurley will eventually have to get his knee checked out before the draft so teams can sign off on his health/rehab. That's a must. But I don't believe Friday's decision ultimately has any impact on his draft stock. With Gurley not working out this week—or at his pro day next month—as he continues the rehab process, the game tape is the key grading tool. And that passes the test.

Also on Day 3

• Clemson defensive end/outside linebacker Vic Beasley weighed in at 246 pounds. That's a jump from the 230-235 pounds he played at in college. With the weight gain, I'm interested in seeing how Beasley moves when the defensive players start working out on Sunday. Can he change direction with speed and showcase a sudden burst in positional drills?

• Offensive guard Ali Marpet (Hobart College) generated some buzz at the Senior Bowl with an impressive week of practice, and he continued to boost his stock on Friday during testing. Marpet (6'4", 307 lbs) posted the fastest 10-yard split of the offensive lineman at 1.74.

• Before having to shut down offensive line drills with a hamstring injury, Iowa's Brandon Scherff turned in a 1.78 10-yard split in the 40 (5.07 time). That's a solid number for the projected first-round pick at 319 pounds. Scouts will have to get the change of direction times (short shuttle, three-cone) on Scherff at his pro day.

• Florida defensive end/outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. talked about his versatility on Friday, and that's the major reason his stock is climbing. At 6'3", 261 pounds, he can fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 front on the edge. With a good workout on Sunday, Fowler should come off the board as a top-10 pick in the draft.

• Washington's Shaq Thompson will work out at both linebacker and running back over the weekend at the combine. There has been talk of Thompson making the move to safety at the NFL level, but there is no question about his versatility and athleticism in Indianapolis.

• Southern Illinois' MyCole Pruitt ran the fastest 40 of the tight end class at 4.58 seconds. That's moving for a prospect who measured in at 6'2", 251 pounds. And he also posted 38 inches on the vertical jump.

• Miami's Ereck Flowers has the measurables you want at the tackle position (6'6", 329 lbs, 34 1/2-inch arms), plus he put up 37 reps on the bench and posted a 1.78 10-yard split in the 40 on Friday morning during workouts. However, is Flowers another college tackle who will slide inside to the guard position at the pro level? Based on what I heard in Indianapolis, he could come off the board in the first round, but there are still questions about his ability to handle speed off the edge.

• Melvin Gordon produced a ton of explosive plays during his time at Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean we will see the running back post a 4.4 time on Saturday morning. Gordon has the burst/acceleration to get up the field, but he is expected to run in the 4.5-4.6 range.

• The wide receivers will be on the field Saturday morning for workouts, and that will give us a chance to check out the vertical speed of Kevin White, Dorial Green-Beckham, Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Sammie Coates, etc. White is expected to run in the 4.5 range, and Green-Beckham (at 237 lbs) could post a time in the 4.4s.

Seven-year NFL veteran Matt Bowen is an NFL National Lead Writer for Bleacher Report.

====================

NFL Combine 2015: Matt Bowen's Day 4 Notebook
By Matt Bowen , NFL National Lead Writer
Feb 21, 2015

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2372866-nfl-combine-2015-matt-bowens-day-4-notebook

INDIANAPOLIS — Throughout the NFL Scouting Combine, former NFL defensive back Matt Bowen will bring you his daily notebook.

Winston Is the Clear No. 1 QB

After Jameis Winston threw on Saturday, it's clear that he is the top quarterback prospect in this draft.

A true pro-style quarterback at 6'4", 231 pounds, the Florida State product looked comfortable and confident working three- and five-step drops on Saturday. His footwork was consistent, and he showed little wasted movement in his transition off the back foot. Winston throws a catchable ball, and his accuracy was on display even though he was working with new receivers. Smooth.

Is there a knock on Winston? I would say his athletic measurables are below-average when looking at the 40-yard dash (4.97 seconds) and the vertical jump (28 inches) numbers he posted on Saturday, but the focus here is on his ability as a dropback passer at the pro level. That's the key for a quarterback coming from a pro system in Tallahassee.

I can't see how Lovie Smith passes on Winston given the quarterback situation in Tampa. Winston should be the No. 1 pick on April 30.

Mariota Workout Answers Some Questions

Marcus Mariota has the athletic measurables, as should have been expected from watching the Oregon product on tape. He ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds, jumped 36 inches and posted a 10'6" broad jump. Those are impressive numbers for a 6'4", 222-pound quarterback.

However, the talk here before the workout focused on Mariota's ability to execute the three- and five-step drops in positional drills after spending the majority of his career at Oregon working out of the shotgun alignment.

In my opinion, Mariota has put in the time on his footwork. He looked clean simulating the drops from under center and showed the quickness to gather his base while controlling the release. He had a strong day throwing the ball and should carry a top-10 grade into the draft.

Cooper, White and Parker Solidify Top-10 Grades

This wide receiver class is loaded, and the top prospects produced legit numbers during testing on Saturday morning with Amari Cooper (4.42), Kevin White (4.35) and DeVante Parker (4.45) all answering questions on their vertical speed in the 40-yard dash.

I see Cooper as the most polished route-runner in this class, and that was on display during positional drills. He glides through his cuts and is smooth at the top of the route.

White's size (6'3", 215 pounds) is going to create matchups in the NFL, and he has the ball skills and body control to adjust at the point of attack (go check out the tape versus Alabama). With Parker (6'3", 209 pounds), think about the athleticism and the ability to stretch the field. That's where he shows up on tape—making plays on contested throws.

White is expected to come off the board first in the draft (possibly No. 4 to Oakland); however, all three of these wideouts should grade out as top-10 picks after the workouts on Saturday in Indianapolis. There is a ton of talent (and pro speed) with this group.

Slow Day for the Running Backs

I don't overreact to 40 times at the running back position. Anything in the 4.5 to 4.6 range works when you see the burst and acceleration on tape. Melvin Gordon (4.52), Duke Johnson (4.54), Ameer Abdullah (4.60) and David Johnson (4.50) all posted respectable times in the 40. However, the 10-yard split times were much slower than I expected.

With running backs, you want to see a 10-yard split at 1.56 seconds. On Saturday, only one back (Michigan State's Jeremy Langford) hit that mark, with Gordon (1.63), Duke Johnson (1.61), Abdullah (1.61) and David Johnson (1.58) missing it.

That doesn't mean this class isn't deep at the position, and the tape is still the deciding factor. Plus, Todd Gurley and Tevin Coleman didn't run. However, for as much buzz as there has been this week on the running backs, the speed was lacking.

Dorial Green-Beckham's Stock Continues to Rise

Green-Beckham's draft stock has been a topic of discussion because of his unique measurables (6'5", 237 pounds), raw talent and the off-field concerns that have scouts doing extra work on the wide receiver.

I've heard mixed reviews from veteran scouts this week on Green-Beckham and how he projects to the NFL, but we can't deny that he took advantage of the combine stage to improve his overall grade. The former Missouri wide receiver clocked in at an impressive 4.49, plus he put together a solid workout in positional drills. Good day for Green-Beckham.

More from Day 4

• The disappointing 4.7-second 40 time for Devin Funchess will force scouts to go back and study more tape on the Michigan product. Dash times don't tell the entire story on wide receivers, but a slow time does have an impact on prospects. Does Funchess play faster on tape? That's what scouts have to see.

• Alabama strong safety Landon Collins weighed in on Saturday morning at 228 pounds, and Samford strong safety Jaquiski Tartt came in at 6'1", 221 pounds. They are two physical safeties who will come downhill and deliver a shot to the ball-carrier.

• Phillip Dorsett turned in a 4.33 40 time, and that speed translates to the field with the wide receiver. He displays a burst coming out of his breaks and can get up the field. He was a star at the Senior Bowl. The Miami product should come off the board in the second round.

• South Alabama quarterback Brandon Bridge (6'4", 229 pounds) is a prospect I need to do some work on. During workouts, he showcased his arm strength, velocity and a quick release, but he needs to clean up his mechanics.

• Randy Gregory, the defensive end out of Nebraska, did 24 reps on the 225-pound bench press. That's a good number given his length (34" arms).

• UAB wide receiver J.J. Nelson (5'10", 156 pounds) posted an official 4.28 40 time on Saturday. That's moving.

• Don't forget about Florida State's Rashad Greene. The wide receiver posted times in the 4.4-4.45 range and is a polished route-runner. He had a ton of production for the Seminoles and should develop into a solid pro receiver.

• Baylor QB Bryce Petty still has to develop his footwork when working from under center, but I saw an improvement since the Senior Bowl. He has the arm strength to make NFL throws. The technique and mechanics are the next step in his progression.

• One receiver to check out on tape is wide receiver Tyler Lockett (5'10", 182 pounds). The Kansas State product had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl working out of the slot and ran an official 4.40 40 on Saturday. He's a good player.

• Missouri outside linebacker Shane Ray won't work out on Sunday due to a foot injury he suffered in the Citrus Bowl. He does plan to take part in a pro day back on campus.

• The 4.43 40 time for Sammie Coates didn't change my opinion on the Auburn wide receiver after watching him at the Senior Bowl. He can get down the field on the 9 route and has the size (6'1", 212 pounds) at the point of attack. However, his route running will have to develop at the pro level, plus there are still questions about his hands and ability to make plays on contested throws.

• Washington's Danny Shelton is considered the ideal fit as a 3-4 nose given his size, and he should come off the board early in the first round. He weighed in at 339 pounds here in Indianapolis. That's a slight drop from his Senior Bowl weight of 343.

• UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley showcased his athleticism during testing on Saturday with a 4.63 40, 36-inch vertical, 3.98 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill.

• Duke wide receiver Jamison Crowder (5'8", 185 pounds) was a favorite of mine at the Senior Bowl because of his quick change-of-direction speed. However, I did expect a better 40 time than the 4.56 number he posted Saturday. That was surprising.

• Georgia's Chris Conley (6'2", 213 pounds) took advantage of the combine stage to produce some impressive numbers. The wide receiver ran a 4.35 40, posted a 45-inch vertical jump and recorded an 11'7" broad jump. Ridiculous.

• Eastern Carolina's Shane Carden struggled at the Senior Bowl with his ball placement, and I didn't see anything during workouts to change the narrative on the quarterback.

• Stanford wide receiver Ty Montgomery needed a solid workout after a subpar week at the Senior Bowl, but he didn't stand out Saturday. He posted an average 40 time (4.55) and failed to flash during drills.

• Edge-rushers take the field on Sunday morning, and I'm excited to see Florida's Dante Fowler Jr. go through drills. Given his athleticism and versatility, the outside linebacker/defensive end can boost his stock with a good workout.

• Saturday was a perfect example of why the top quarterbacks should throw at the combine. This is part of the interview process. Go out and compete. Both Winston and Mariota turned in good workouts despite the narrative that it's tougher to throw to receivers whom they haven't worked with in the past.

Seven-year NFL veteran Matt Bowen is an NFL National Lead Writer for Bleacher Report.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Suzy Kolber, Todd McShay, Bill Polian and Chris Mortensen evaluate the performances of the wide receivers and running backs at the 2015 NFL combine.

Watch ESPN's Recap

RamBill

Legend
NFL Combine Results Recap, Day 4: WR, RB, QB

By Zach Whitman @zjwhitman on Feb 21, 2015, 9:23p +

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/2/21...-wr-rb-qb-winston-mariota-gordon-amari-gurley

It's always fun to watch the linemen run the 40, but the best TV day of the Combine is always Saturday, when the offensive skill players go through the typical battery of athletic tests. Saturday is when Calvin Johnson ran the 4.3 in someone else's shoes, when Chris Johnson blazed a 4.24, and when Chris Conley took over the world won the Combine.

You can see all scores at Mike Loyko's excellent google doc, where QB, WR, and RB times are fully updated. The OL and TE groups tested yesterday, and defensive players will participate on Sunday and Monday, for anyone wondering about the future schedule.

I wrote about the top 5 SPARQ athletes from both the WRs and RBs over at my blog and will add some more comprehensive SPARQ analysis over the next few days.

Quick hits

--Chris Conley (WR, Georgia) destroyed the world today with what was looking like of the all-time great performances for most of the day. A few sub-par agility drills caused him to fall just short of the truly elite athletes, but he still had the best showing of anyone in Indianapolis. Jared Stanger expressed disappointment in Conley's tape at WR, leading me to dream about a positional switch.

--The top 5 SPARQ running backs feature two running backs from the Dakotas and zero from the SEC, Pac-12, Big 12, or ACC. Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Boise State. The Combine is weird sometimes.

--It was mentioned on the broadcast that Zach Zenner was probably last in every roll call of his life. I feel your pain, Zach.

--Nebraska had two players in the top 5 SPARQ lists with RB Ameer Abdullah and WR Kenny Bell. Bell probably had one of the best days at the Combine, answering any questions about his athleticism with a 4.42 40, excellent agility drills, and a 41" vertical/10'9" broad jump profile.

Ameer is a personal favorite of mine. Field Gulls Editor-In-Chief and Very Important Person Dan/Daniel/Danny Kelly informs me that Ameer means "Prince." Ameer Abdullah, SPARQPrince, take a bow.

--The RB class was running with their feet in concrete blocks today. This tweet from Arif Hasan makes me think something with the surface may have been at fault. It's incredibly unlikely for every single player to fall short of expectations in the ten-yard split (i.e., every back got off to a poor start).

--A number of RB prospects didn't have great showings. Melvin Gordon tested out as an only slightly above-average NFL running back. Duke Johnson, Josh Robinson, Mike Davis, and Matt Jones all tested between the 10th and 35th percentile. If the 40 may have been artificially depressed by the surface, though, we'll likely see most of the scores improve in pro day season.

----

The defensive linemen and linebackers will get started bright and early tomorrow morning. Make sure to brush up on Jared's great preview pieces (EDGE and DT) before tuning in.

For further reading, I'll be doing some player breakdowns and get the SPARQ rolling in the coming days at 3sigmaathlete.com.

===========

NFL Combine — Initial SPARQ Results for RB and WR

http://3sigmaathlete.com/2015/02/22/nfl-combine-initial-sparq-results-for-rb-and-wr/

I’ll have more later in terms of an actual recap, but figured I’d get up some quick tables on the day’s top performers.

Running backs:

rbsparq.png

Wide Receivers:

wrsparq.png

Again, I’ll be recapping things in earnest later, but figured I’d give a preview.

-ZW

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Duke Johnson. Sounds like one of those rookie names you get in Madden about 10 years into franchise mode.

RamBill

Legend
Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks, Chris Burke, and Doug Farrar discuss which NFL draft prospects improved their stock and which ones let it slip. There risers were WR Jalen Strong and WR Kevin White. Fallers: WR Ty Montgomery, DE Frank Clark

Watch Combine Risers/Fallers

RamBill

Legend
NFL Combine 2015: Matt Bowen's Day 5 Notebook
By Matt Bowen

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2373583-nfl-combine-2015-matt-bowens-day-5-notebook

Beasley Steals the Spotlight

When Clemson's Vic Beasley weighed in at 246 pounds earlier in the week, there were some questions on his speed and movement skills, since he played in the 230-235 range during the season at Clemson. However, the outside linebacker threw up some ridiculous numbers Sunday to increase his draft stock.

Check out the results from Beasley:

40-yard dash: 4.53 seconds (1.59 10-yard split)

Bench (225): 35 reps

Vertical Jump: 41"

Short Shuttle: 4.15 seconds

Three-Cone Drill: 6.91 seconds

Broad Jump: 10'10"

With Beasley's added bulk and the speed/power combo he showed during workouts, he should be a lock as a first-rounder and could come off the board much earlier than previously expected. This is how you take advantage of the combine stage as a prospect. Go to Indianapolis and light up the testing drills.

Williams Proves He Is the Top Defensive Lineman in the Draft

USC defensive tackle Leonard Williams has NFL size (6'5", 302 lbs, 34.625" arms), and he did post a quick 10-yard split in the 40-yard dash (1.72 seconds). However, I was more impressed with his movement skills. Williams is a very fluid athlete and looked relaxed, comfortable and agile during drills. Plus, he has the scheme flexibility to play multiple spots on the defensive front. I was also impressed Sunday watching him move laterally.

Depending on where Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota lands, Williams could come off the board as high as the No. 2 overall pick. He has that type of talent on the defensive line, and some consider him the best prospect in the draft.

How Will Dawson's Lack of Speed Impact His Draft Stock?

There was a lot of hype coming into the combine for TCU linebacker Paul Dawson, but he posted times in the 4.9 range Sunday and didn't look as fluid as I expected during change-of-direction drills in positional work. How will it impact his overall grade?

Dawson was a highly productive player at TCU, and we have to remember that the combine drills don't account for the natural instincts at the linebacker position. The 40 (or watching a player backpedal and then transition) can't measure a linebacker's eye placement or ability to read run/pass and attack the ball.

However, the slow 40 times will force pro scouts to go back and watch more tape on Dawson. Does he play faster on tape? And can teams look past these numbers from Indy when they set their final grade on the linebacker? Dawson will be a good case study on college production versus pro testing.

Fowler Looks Like a Possible Top-Five Pick

Florida's Dante Fowler was projected as a top-10 pick heading into the combine because of his versatility to play in multiple fronts, and I think he could be a top-five pick after watching him work out Sunday.

At 6'3", 261 pounds, Fowler posted a 4.60 40 time (1.56 10-yard split) and projects as an athletic edge-rusher who can win with speed or power. Fowler played all over the field for the Gators and has an extremely high ceiling in the NFL. Given the demand for edge players who can stand up in a 3-4 and then drop down in sub-packages, Fowler's stock is on the rise after his workout in Indianapolis.

Also on Day 5

• Nose tackle Danny Shelton didn't have good numbers on Sunday, but what do you want to see from a 339-pound nose tackle who is a classic space-eater in the 3-4 front? I watched Shelton compete all week at the Senior Bowl. He's a beast. He takes on double-teams, penetrates and swallows up offensive linemen. That's his game. The 40 time doesn't even come into play when watching him on the field. He could be the pick for the Bears at No. 7 if the top edge-rushers are off the board by then.

• I talked about Beasley's testing numbers above, but what about Kentucky's Alvin "Bud" Dupree? The outside linebacker/defensive end ran a 4.56 40 at 269 pounds and also posted a 42" vertical jump and 11'6" broad jump. That's crazy for a man his size. Excellent workout for Dupree.

• What time do we want to see from Alabama strong safety Landon Collins on Monday? An NFL scout I talked to expects Collins to run in the 4.5 range at 228 pounds.

• Nebraska's Randy Gregory (6'5", 235 lbs) ran in the low-4.6 range, and I thought he showcased enough flexibility during positional work. The outside linebacker can still get his weight up to around 245 and fit in a 3-4 scheme as an outside linebacker. He's a first-round talent who will rush the passer.

• I need to watch some tape on UCLA's Owa Odighizuwa. The 6'3", 267-pound outside linebacker/defensive end has a quick first step and showcased his athleticism during Sunday's workout. He ran a 4.62 40 (1.63 10-yard split), posted a 39" vertical jump and looked pretty smooth in positional drills.

• Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis was the defensive star of the Senior Bowl as he lived in the backfield during practice sessions because of his burst off the ball. On Sunday, Davis posted a 1.73 10-yard split. That's a good number at 6'5", 320 pounds. Davis has an NFL frame and can play the 3-technique or the 5-technique.

• The "versatility" of Washington's Shaq Thompson was discussed all week in Indianapolis (safety, linebacker, running back). On Sunday, Thompson ran in the 4.6 range. That's not a great time, but this guy is a football player. And I think he can play multiple roles for an NFL defense.

• Mississippi State defensive end Preston Smith (6'5", 271 lbs) has the versatility to play on the edge in a 4-3 and also slide inside to play the 3-technique in a sub-package front. He played good football in Mobile and ran a 4.74 on Sunday (1.63 10-yard split). Smith is a solid Day 2 prospect.

• Melvin Gordon ran a 4.52 40 on Saturday. That's a solid time for the 6'1", 215-pound running back. However, did the rest of the workout numbers match with the tape? Gordon posted a 35" vertical and 10'6" broad jump, along with running the short shuttle in 4.07 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.04 seconds. It was a very good workout for the Wisconsin product.

• Defensive tackles Leonard Williams and Danny Shelton deserve the top-10 hype, but don't forget about Oklahoma's Jordan Phillips. At 6'5", 329 pounds, Phillips posted a 1.84 10-yard split. Talking with league sources in Indianapolis this week, Phillips is a name that kept coming up in discussions.

• Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman posted some disappointing 40 times in the 4.8 range. At 236 pounds, Perryman isn't going to project as a three-down 'backer with that speed. I think he needs to get down to around 225 pounds to play in the sub-package.

• At 6'3", 250 pounds, Utah outside linebacker Nate Orchard (4.80 40) doesn't have the straight-line speed of Fowler, Gregory or Beasley. But he was one of the top players I watched at the Senior Bowl. He can be a fit in a 3-4 as a rush 'backer. This guy can play.

• There are NFL teams that won't even look at corners under 6'0", but keep an eye on Texas product Quandre Diggs when the defensive backs run on Monday morning. The 5'9", 196-pound corner is very competitive and can play the nickel. There is some talk on Diggs with NFL scouts right now.

• Norfolk State outside linebacker Lynden Trail (6'7", 269 lbs, 34.875" arms) is an incredibly raw prospect. At the Senior Bowl, Trail flipped over to the offensive side of the ball and ran some red-zone routes at tight end during one-on-one drills. However, with 40 times in the 4.9 to 5.0 range, does he have the speed to rush off the edge and play in space at the linebacker position in the NFL? He looked tight in his hips when asked to change directions during drills.

• His 4.61 40 time will boost the stock of UCLA linebacker Eric Kendricks (6'0", 232 lbs). Kendricks also posted a 38" vertical jump and a 10'4" broad jump. He has solid tape, was very productive in the Pac-12 and should fit as a 4-3 outside linebacker. Good numbers for the former Bruin.

• Ole Miss safety Cody Prewitt caught my attention at the Senior Bowl because of his range and the competitive style he brought to the field. I'm looking forward to getting some testing numbers on Prewitt tomorrow.

• Another defensive back I want to focus on Monday is Miami cornerback Ladarius Gunter. He has size outside the numbers (6'1", 202 lbs) and was consistently around the ball down in Mobile. I'm looking for a 40 time in the 4.4 to low-4.5 range.

RamBill

Legend
Top Takeaways from the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine
By Matt Bowen

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2374802-top-takeaways-from-the-2015-nfl-scouting-combine

Winston and Mariota Take Advantage of the Combine Stage

I hope future high-profile quarterbacks follow the lead of Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota at the combine. The top-ranked quarterbacks of this year's class came to Indianapolis to work out, throw and compete. Nothing to hide for these guys, as they answered the bell in front of league scouts, despite throwing to unfamiliar receivers in a high-pressure environment.

Winston passed the test, in my opinion, as the top player at the position during the throwing drills. He's a classic, pro-style guy who can sling the ball and put the proper touch on his passes. His footwork was excellent, and the drills looked almost too easy. It was effortless at times for Winston to take his drop, set his feet and deliver the ball (with placement) inside Lucas Oil Stadium.

Mariota showcased his "plus" athleticism with a 4.52 40 time and a 36" vertical jump. He brings an added dimension to the league that Winston can't match outside of the pocket. However, that was expected after watching him at Oregon. The real question for Mariota was the footwork and mechanics when simulating a snap under center. He played in the gun during his entire career at Oregon, and scouts wanted to see him throw from three- and five-step positions. I thought Mariota looked clean setting the back foot and delivering the ball. A solid workout for the former Ducks quarterback.

With the draft still nine weeks away, there is a lot of work to be done on both Winston and Mariota. But after the combine, it's clear that Winston's skill set should easily transition to the pro game. He's the No. 1 quarterback.

Edge-Rushers Showcase Freakish Athletic Ability

How can you not get excited about the size, speed and functional strength of the edge-rushers in this year's class?

Clemson's Vic Beasley started it off with a 4.53 40 time, 35 reps on the bench press and change-of-direction times that are comparable to skill position players at 246 pounds. What about Florida's Dante Fowler (4.60 40 at 261 pounds), Nebraska's Randy Gregory (4.64 40), Kentucky's Alvin "Bud" Dupree (4.56 40, 42" vertical jump, 11'6" broad jump) and UCLA's Owamagbe Odighizuwa (4.62 40)? These are crazy numbers for guys who have the athletic ability to rush off the edge and play in space. Plus, Mizzou's Shane Ray didn't work out. That's another name you can add to the list of potential first-round picks who can rush the passer.

Given the demand for edge speed in the NFL, I expect there to be an early run on defensive ends/outside linebackers in the draft. And there are a number of prospects in this class who will fit in the base front while showcasing their true ability in defensive sub-packages. Go get the quarterback. That's the drill with this year's class.

Another Loaded Class at Wide Receiver

The 2014 class headlined by Odell Beckham Jr., Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans took the NFL by storm, so I'm not going to say this year's group has more talent, but it is definitely loaded with prospects who should have an immediate impact as rookies.

Kevin White's 4.35 40 time at 6'3", 215 pounds is ridiculous, Amari Cooper answered questions on his vertical speed (low 4.4s), and DeVante Parker checked in with a solid time in the 4.4 range. Dorial Green-Beckham wowed scouts with his 4.49 time at 6'5", 237 pounds, and Miami's Phillip Dorsett carried over his solid Senior Bowl performance by posting an official time of 4.33 seconds. He can flat out fly.

Plus, we can't forget about Arizona State's Jaelen Strong, Kansas State's Tyler Lockett, Auburn's Sammie Coates, Ohio State's Devin Smith…the list goes on. This class has size, speed, depth and the measurables to climb draft boards. For teams that need to upgrade the position, this is a good year to land a wideout.

Where is the Depth at the Safety Position?

Landon Collins passed the test on Tuesday morning with a low 4.5 40 time at 228 pounds. That's what scouts wanted to see. The Alabama product might not be a top-10 guy, but he showed us that his workout matches the tape. He is a first-round talent who will bring a lot of versatility to a pro defensive scheme.

But after Collins, this class lacks depth and top-tier ability.

Samford strong safety Jaquiski Tartt had a great week at the Senior Bowl and ran in the 4.5s at 221 pounds. He's a thumper who can drive downhill on the ball. Looking at Arizona State's Damarious Randall, I see a free safety with range and speed (4.46 40) who should bump up to a third-round grade after today. And Penn State's Adrian Amos (who could play cornerback) ran an official 4.56 at 218 pounds.

However, with pre-combine riser Chris Hackett from TCU running in the 4.8 range and Ole Miss safety Cody Prewitt having an average workout, we might not see a safety outside of Collins drafted in the first two rounds. Because of that, this is a great year to be a veteran free-agent safety. There will be a lot of demand for the position in March.
Pro Day "Rechecks" are a Must for These Prospects

The combine isn't a true judge of how a prospect will transition to the NFL level, as 40 times, change-of-direction drills, etc., in a controlled environment don't tell the entire story. The game tape is still the ultimate tool for grading a player.

However, pro scouts want times to add to the scouting report. And when a prospect runs slow or fails to show the expected athleticism during positional drills, there will be questions. That's why the pro day offers some guys another chance to improve their testing numbers.

Looking at this year's class, I would put TCU linebacker Paul Dawson (4.93 40) in that group along with Duke wide receiver Jamison Crowder (4.56 40), Michigan wideout Devin Funchess (4.70 40), Miami cornerback Ladarius Gunter (4.69 40) and Hackett from TCU (4.81 40). All five of these prospects were very productive players at the college level, but the testing numbers don't match up.

With a much more comfortable and familiar environment on campus, the numbers should improve for these prospects at their respective pro days. And if they don't, then we will find out how much stock is put into the tape.

Gordon Turns in a 1st-Round Workout

With Georgia's Todd Gurley still recovering from an ACL injury, the stage was set for Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon to lock in that first-round grade at the combine during his workout.

Gordon ran a very good 4.52 40 and backed that up with solid numbers in his testing. He posted a 35" vertical jump and 10'6" broad jump to go along with a 4.07 short shuttle and 7.04 three-cone time. Those numbers match Gordon's tape and speak to his ability at the position.

I do think this running back class has plenty of depth for teams looking to grab a player in Rounds 2-4 (Duke Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, David Cobb, David Johnson), but in my opinion, Gordon and Gurley will be the only backs to carry a late first-round grade.

Williams Could be the Top Prospect in the 2015 Class

Washington's Danny Shelton is going to eat up the middle of the offensive line for a 3-4 team at 339 pounds and should come off the board early given the demand for nose tackles. And I would take a hard look at Oklahoma's Jordan Phillips. However, after watching USC's Leonard Williams on Sunday during workouts, there is no question he is the top defensive line prospect in this draft.

Williams has the versatility to play multiple spots on the defensive line, and he moved with ease during positional drills for guy that weighed in at 6'5", 302 pounds. He also posted a 1.72 10-yard split in the 40 and has 34.625" arms. Burst plus length. That's what scouts want on the defensive front.

The defensive tackle isn't a finished product, and he can develop much more at the NFL level. But with his measurables, he could be the top prospect in this class.

Waynes and the Cornerbacks Move Up the Draft Board

After running an official 4.31 40, Michigan State's Trae Waynes is going to jump to the top of plenty of teams' draft boards at the cornerback position. Waynes has the size NFL clubs want outside of the numbers (6'0", 186 pounds), and he can play press. A well-coached cornerback, he earned some good money during the Monday workouts.

In addition to Waynes, Washington's Marcus Peters showed some speed (4.53) to go along with his press-man skill set, Florida State's Ronald Darby posted a blistering 4.38 40, LSU's Jalen Collins dropped a 4.48, Wake Forest's Kevin Johnson ran a 4.52, and Connecticut's Byron Jones created a major buzz at the combine with a 44.5" vertical jump and a record-breaking broad jump of 12'3". That's just awesome.

The point here is that cornerback is a position of need for every club in the league when looking at sub-packages (nickel, dime) and special teams. Expect this group to rise up the draft board as we get closer to April.

Don't Forget About the O-Line

The 40-yard dash isn't going to tell us much about offensive line prospects, but I did get a good feel for some guys based on their movement skills during positional drills.

LSU's La'el Collins might have had the best workout of the group, and Ali Marpet of Hobart College continued his rise at the combine after a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl. I would also add Stanford's Andrus Peat to the list of offensive linemen who helped themselves with solid workouts on the field.

I still see Iowa's Brandon Scherff, who didn't finish drills due to a hamstring injury, as the top prospect in this group, but the combine did give us a chance to watch some offensive linemen showcase their athleticism and quickness.

More Questions for the Tight End Class

After the Senior Bowl, I was excited to watch Miami's Clive Walford test at the combine, but he didn't take advantage of the opportunity to display his athletic ability in a weak class.

Although Walford (6'4", 250 pounds) recorded a 35" vertical jump, he ran an average 4.79 40 time and didn't look as smooth as I expected during drills.

Minnesota's Maxx Williams (6'4", 249 pounds) will likely be the first tight end to come off the board. He is your classic on-the-line "Y" tight end who can block in the run game while using his size/frame to shield defenders from the ball in the route tree. But just like Walford, Williams' time of 4.78 in the 40 isn't going to create a ton of buzz.

One prospect to do some work on: Southern Illinois' MyCole Pruitt. The FCS tight end ran a 4.58 40 and recorded a 38" vertical jump. He could be a sleeper in a class that lacks a true matchup player at the position.

RamBill

Legend
Reese’s Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage looks at the prospects from the Reese’s Senior Bowl who performed well at the 2015 NFL Combine. He talks about WR Phillip Dorsett, OL La’El Collins, OL Ali Marpet, WR Dezmin Lewis, LB Stephone Anthony, LB Nate Orchard, DL Carl Davis, DB Doran Grant, DB Damarious Randall, and DB Erik Rowe.

Watch Savage Talk Combine Standouts