NFL clubs believe Jaylon Smith will miss all of 2016, at minimum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jaylon-smith-will-miss-all-of-2016-at-minimum

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL clubs are not expecting Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith, one of the 2016 NFL Draft's top prospects, to play in 2016.

The Butkus Award winner is recovering from a severe knee injury, suffered in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1, that includes nerve issues in both his ankle and knee, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, who spoke to sources familiar with Smith's NFL Scouting Combine medical exams. The result: doubts about whether he'll make his NFL debut before 2017.

Smith, who tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee, went through all the medical exams for teams on Friday and says he will go for a re-check in early April, three weeks before the draft. He walked gingerly on Friday, but without crutches, as he made his way to the podium to speak to the media.

A likely top-10 pick before the injury, he now wonders where he'll land.

"I feel I'm the best player in the draft," Smith. "I'm going to be a high-impact player for a long time."

Smith sounded as though he's aware that his NFL career is facing a significant delay.

"It will be a long-term decision for any team that takes me," he said.

The only slightly bright spot? Smith has a $5 million loss-of-value insurance policy, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport. If he paid premiums, he gets tax-free payout, the source said.

So, with reports that Smith could be out for more than just 2016 how high do you draft him..........and should the Rams pick him with one of their picks......which one?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd snatch him up with our first 4th round pick without hesitation. But I think he'll be a day 2 pick even with the injury. The Titans for example could now take him with our 3rd round pick, and that would be what, their 5th selection?

Aren't there people saying that he would have been the best player in this draft without the injury?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jaylon-smith-will-miss-all-of-2016-at-minimum

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL clubs are not expecting Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith, one of the 2016 NFL Draft's top prospects, to play in 2016.

The Butkus Award winner is recovering from a severe knee injury, suffered in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1, that includes nerve issues in both his ankle and knee, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, who spoke to sources familiar with Smith's NFL Scouting Combine medical exams. The result: doubts about whether he'll make his NFL debut before 2017.

Smith, who tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee, went through all the medical exams for teams on Friday and says he will go for a re-check in early April, three weeks before the draft. He walked gingerly on Friday, but without crutches, as he made his way to the podium to speak to the media.

"I feel I'm the best player in the draft," Smith. "I'm going to be a high-impact player for a long time."

Smith sounded as though he's aware that his NFL career is facing a significant delay.

The only slightly bright spot? Smith has a $5 million loss-of-value insurance policy, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport. If he paid premiums, he gets tax-free payout, the source said.

So, with reports that Smith could be out for more than just 2016 how high do you draft him..........and should the Rams pick him with one of their picks......which one?
You pass Smith by very fast.

Look's to me when you have traded away all of your 3 highly valuable priceless second day draft picks just leaving your team with four plays of action in the last day of the draft with two 4ths & two 6th's rounders that each of those remaining picks need to be ready to play & fill the holes on our roster now! WR's/TE/NT/RB

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see it another way @BonifayRam... Rams have 4 picks late, so using one of them on a medical slide prospect can turn out to be very wise. It enables them to have a high impact player potentially and there is precedent: the Giants did the same thing the year they moved up for QB, and hit on two guys who slid due to medical issues.

IF they go out and get Anquan Boldin I think they'll have the freedom to take BPA with most of their picks. I really think he could help us out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aren't there people saying that he would have been the best player in this draft without the injury?

Yes some thought he could be rated as the best in the draft. Top 5 at least. I think if he lasted to round 4 it would be tough to pass on him. It would be like trading a 4th this year for a top ten pick next year.......no brainer IMO.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
If the long term prognosis is that he heals close to 100% then you absolutely use you're next pick, first 4th rounder, to grab him. If he sits the whole year, so be it. When he comes back healthy next year, you just replaced your next year 1st round draft pick that recently departed,at a fraction of the cost. Really like this kid and hate to see what happened to him. Will be one of the interesting stories of the draft to see where he goes. Long term health is everything for him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the long term prognosis is that he heals close to 100% then you absolutely use you're next pick, first 4th rounder, to grab him. If he sits the whole year, so be it. When he comes back healthy next year, you just replaced your next year 1st round draft pick that recently departed,at a fraction of the cost. Really like this kid and hate to see what happened to him. Will be one of the interesting stories of the draft to see where he goes. Long term health is everything for him.

I just read last night that he has some foot drop. That is not a good sign of him healing fully. It sucks for him and Myles Jack. I never like to see kids that work so hard to be the best end up out of the game before they reach it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Did you read what I wrote above? Foot drop. That could mean permanent nerve damage. It is possible that he never plays.
I read it and not sure of the validity of the source.
But foot drop can happen. and be overcome during rehab. Then again he may never play a game.
Any team that's interested has gave him a physical.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read it and not sure of the validity of the source.
But foot drop can happen. and be overcome during rehab. Then again he may never play a game.
Any team that's interested has gave him a physical.

Foot drop can mean permanent nerve damage. No way to tell for sure. I would not use a second round pick if that is really the case.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Foot drop can mean permanent nerve damage. No way to tell for sure. I would not use a second round pick if that is really the case.
GM's aren't smart at times.
But they would know the risk if they do take him. since there own doc's could check him out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if he's there in round 4 the Rams would risk a pick on him. There is going to be risk, but the guy is an elite talent so the reward side makes it worthwhile that late. I doubt he makes it to round 4 of course, but if he does? It will of course come down to the medical report, but the Rams will be all over him if the risk is that he will miss next year but maybe play beyond that.

DB16

UDFA
Name
Dennis B.
He's not falling past the third. I fully and completely believe he will be gone day 2.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I would look for the 49ers to Draft him, they have the most picks in the Draft and can afford to use a pick on someone who won't play for two Seasons!
Then again they got burnt the last time they took such a chance!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A team with a surplus of draft picks will take the risk