NFL Arrests and Lawsuits - 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
From 75 to 80 I lived with blackouts triggered by massive alcohol consumption which burned out my liver and caused cirrhosis. My skin and eyes turned yellow. The reason I mention this is because it was the major cause of my arrests. My fault, no one else's.

There's much I don't remember from that time period except the extreme cases, so I don't have an exact number of arrests, but it is interesting to note that once I totally quit drugs and alcohol and quit running around with out-of-control people that the arrests ceased. Hmm.. I wonder if there is a correlation?

Hahaha....I read this entire post thinking you were talking about when you were 75 years old until you turned 80.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hahaha....I read this entire post thinking you were talking about when you were 75 years old until you turned 80.

Nah, not an old geezer yet.

giphy.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You’re right Champ. Certain populations are targeted. Speeders. And those that think they are Captain Invisable. Not subject to obeying the law.
Speeding goes on every day....some get a warning...others....tough hand of the law.
it is interesting to note that once I totally quit drugs and alcohol and quit running around with out-of-control people that the arrests ceased. Hmm.. I wonder if there is a correlation?
All age....I still do a lot of the same stuff....never was a "bad" guy.....I'm a fun guy...life of the party guy....once I aged....stopped playing loud music....don't really wash the ride...it aint super new with rims anyway....seems they can't find me....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I'm saddened that so many affiliated with the NFL end up on threads like this, I'm in no position to pass judgment
Well.... I never have gotten arrested... not even close... boring life... graduated high school... went to college... got married... had five kids... 19 years on my current job...

I say this so I can say this:
I WILL JUDGE THEM!!!
:LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
did you miss the part where he was clocked doing 105mph in a 45mph zone and running two red lights?

No...this guy was wrong....should be arrested....charged....all that..

But no one was hurt...or killed.

The circumstances should fit the crime...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ker-monty-grow-on-trial-for-healthcare-fraud/

Former linebacker Monty Grow on trial for healthcare fraud
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 23, 2018

We already suspected Monty Grow might not be the best caretaker — since he was arrested for leaving a 3-year-old in a car in a strip-club parking lot in 2013.

But now, the former Chiefs and Jaguars linebacker is on trial for medical fraud, after he was charged with swindling $20 million from a federal healthcare program for military service members and veterans.

According to Jay Weaver of the Miami Herald, Grow’s federal trial began Monday on conspiracy and fraud charges.

Prosecutors say Grow paid kickbacks to get patients and referrals to a Florida pharmacy which was paid $40 million in government money for pain and scar medications.

“This is a case about a man who lied and cheated to get a bunch of money he didn’t deserve,” prosecutor Kevin Larsen told the jury during opening statements. “Mr. Grow came up with a pyramid scheme of kickbacks to induce these TRICARE beneficiaries to order expensive drugs they really didn’t need.”

Grow’s attorneys contend that he’s a lawful businessman, whose wealth has been distorted by prosecutors.

“He did not set up a pyramid scheme,” defense attorney Daniel Rasbaum said. “He set up a multilevel marketing team, similar to Amway, Herbal Life and Mary Kay.”

One of Grow’s business associates has already pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud.

Psycho_X

Legend
I can’t believe people still get arrested for weed.

I can't speak on the political and criminal validity of it all but I can't believe the NFL still suspends players on it. They just need to stop testing for it all together and suspending players over it. It'd solve a lot of their "why did this player get suspended 3 games for pot and that player gets suspended one game for slapping the shit out of their spouse" issues. Especially with it being legal in so many states now there's just no reason for the NFL to continuously take a stand against it. They should be happy a player is sitting at home smoking it up instead of out murdering, beating, or exploiting someone they'll get in real trouble for.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Because it's still illegal in most places. The better question to ask is why is it still illegal?
Yeah true. You’d think cops would be sick of wasting their time on these arrests. They can’t actually think it’s helpful to society.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/25/marlon-humphrey-arrested-in-alabama/

Marlon Humphrey arrested in Alabama
Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2018

900117566-e1516898457132.jpg

Getty Images

Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey returned to Alabama after the end of his rookie season and he’s landed in some legal hot water in his home state.

Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office booking information shows that Humphrey was booked on Thursday for 3rd degree robbery. The felony charge applies in cases when the alleged perpetrator uses or threatens force against the owner of the property or another party present at the time of the robbery.

No details of what led to Humphrey’s arrest have been made public at this time. Humphrey has not made any comment, but did send a tweet early on Thursday morning saying that “life is good.”

Humphrey, who went to the University of Alabama, was a first-round pick last season and appeared in all 16 games for the Ravens. He ended his first NFL season with 34 tackles and two interceptions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/25/marlon-humphrey-accused-of-stealing-a-phone-charger/

Marlon Humphrey accused of stealing a phone charger
Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2018

856381054-e1512756367891.jpg

Getty Images

More details have surfaced concerning Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey‘s arrest on a robbery charge in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Humphrey was booked on a felony charge of third-degree robbery, which applies when use of force or threats of force is involved, on Thursday morning and the arrest is related to an incident in Tuscaloosa on January 13.

Stephanie Taylor of TuscaloosaNews.com reports, via an incident report from University of Alabama police, that Humphrey and three others were in an Uber to a hotel and Humphrey asked the driver to borrow his phone charger. When the vehicle arrived at the destination, Humphrey allegedly refused to return the charger and took other cables from the car. The driver told police that Humphrey elbowed him when he tried to recover the property. Officers responding to the call found Humphrey in the hotel with a cable that he said was his, but it did not fit his phone.

The Ravens released a statement on Thursday confirming that a phone charger is at the heart of the matter.

“Marlon told us that it was a misunderstanding regarding a $15 telephone charger, which he thought was his,” Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said in a statement. “Our understanding is that he has been interviewed by University of Alabama Police and is cooperating. We are monitoring the situation.”

Humphrey’s case can be reviewed by the NFL for possible discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...antor-consented-to-alleged-sexual-harassment/

NFL contends Jami Cantor consented to alleged sexual harassment
Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2018

465627717-e1516921478977.jpg

Getty Images

The NFL, through it’s in-house TV network, faces a sexual harassment lawsuit that has resulted in the suspension of three on-air employees, including Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk. The NFL has now filed a formal response to the claims made by Jami Cantor last month.

Via TMZ, which does not share a link to the full document, the NFL contends that Cantor “approved, consented to, authorized, and/or ratified” the raunchy words and behaviors that allegedly took place. Although a full analysis of the NFL’s filing is required (we’ve asked the league for a copy of the document), the snippet provided by TMZ isn’t a surprise. Companies accused in court of sexual harassment always deny it, especially at first. (And if they’re not willing to deny it, they quickly settle the case before they have to admit it.)

Like all other successful businesses, getting sued is a cost of doing business, and the league has lawyers and law firms trained in the business of cobbling together the various snippets of cookie-cutter lawyer-talk on a $500-per-hour assembly line that spits out a smattering of phrases like a doll with a string that gets pulled to make it talk.

At the heart of it all: Admit nothing. Agree to nothing. Deny everything. And at the very worst, claim ignorance.

Basically, the initial filing from a defendant in a case like this means nothing. What matters is whether the defendant has a legal argument that would provide a potential silver bullet to the entire lawsuit (or to some of the specific claims). Once that all gets sorted out, the focus becomes the so-called discovery process, where documents are exchanged and questions are answered in writing and witnesses are grilled under oath.

For now, the most important development (or lack thereof) continues to be that Faulk, Heath Evans, and Ike Taylor continue to be suspended. Which means that the league has yet to conclude that they are blameless or otherwise suited to return to work. The longer they remain off the job, the more probable than not that some or all of Cantor’s allegations have merit — and that the NFL has legal and financial exposure.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-college-coaching-gig-with-arrest-behind-him/

Tarvaris Jackson takes college coaching gig with arrest behind him
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 26, 2018

454473882-e1516954328361.jpg

Getty Images

Former Minnesota Vikings, Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson is set to become a graduate assistant coach at Alabama State University.

According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Jackson will have a focus on coaching quarterbacks at his alma mater. Eventually he wants to move into coaching at the professional ranks.

I do want to coach on a professional level,’’ Jackson said. “Of course, you have dreams. … In the back of my head, I do want to be a head coach one day, but right now I want to be the best quarterback, grad assistant coach that I can be … I want to just focus as much as I can on learning the coaching side.”

Jackson’s playing career was effectively ended with an arrest in June 2016 regarding an alleged domestic incident with his wife. The police report alleged that Jackson threatened to kill his wife, Lakitta, and loaded a gun at a house the family was staying at on vacation in Kissimmee, Fla.

Jackson pleaded not guilty to the charges and they were ultimately dismissed due to a lack of evidence in the case. He remains married to his wife and said the police report had false information. He said their argument never got physical and he never pulled a gun on her.

However, he admits he made a false statement to police, which didn’t help his situation.

Jackson spent 10 years in the NFL with the majority of his time split between Minnesota and Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/26/former-giants-linebacker-sent-to-prison-for-fraud/

Former Giants linebacker sent to prison for fraud
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 26, 2018

245719.jpg

Getty Images

A former Giants linebacker was sentenced to two years in federal prison, and ordered to repay nearly $1.6 million in phony worker’s compensation claims.

According to the Associated Press, 46-year-old Marcus Buckley filed a number of fraudulent claims after the Giants paid him a $300,000 injury settlement in 2010.

A former third-round pick from Texas A&M, Buckley played for the Giants for seven seasons (1993-99), and spent the 2000 season with the Falcons but didn’t play in a game.

He was found guilty of filing false invoices, credit collection notices for late medical bills, and false statements from medical providers. A co-defendant, claims adjuster Kimberly Jones, arranged for $1.59 million in worker’s compensation insurance payments. She is due for sentencing in February.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For now, the most important development (or lack thereof) continues to be that Faulk, Heath Evans, and Ike Taylor continue to be suspended.
Yup... Foolio is off the mark on many things, but - IMO - he's dead on here.

The only way we'll know for sure what really happened is by either a reinstatement of these men, or a permanent dismissal.

It'll take some time before a final decision is made.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ebacker-kevin-pierre-louis-arrested-for-weed/

Chiefs linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis arrested for weed

867546522-e1516995002791.jpg

Getty Images

Chiefs linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis got his offseason off to a rough start.

According to Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, Pierre-Louis was arrested Thursday night for misdemeanor possession of marijuana after a traffic stop.

He was also charged with driving without a valid driver’s license and failure to display a valid license plate or current registration, along with possession of drug paraphernalia. He will be arraigned this afternoon.

The Chiefs acquired Pierre-Louis in a preseason trade with the Seahawks. He’s set to be an unrestricted free agent in March, and the fact he’ll be subject to punishment from the league won’t help his job-hunting.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ebacker-kevin-pierre-louis-arrested-for-weed/

Chiefs linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis arrested for weed

867546522-e1516995002791.jpg

Getty Images

Chiefs linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis got his offseason off to a rough start.

According to Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, Pierre-Louis was arrested Thursday night for misdemeanor possession of marijuana after a traffic stop.

He was also charged with driving without a valid driver’s license and failure to display a valid license plate or current registration, along with possession of drug paraphernalia. He will be arraigned this afternoon.

The Chiefs acquired Pierre-Louis in a preseason trade with the Seahawks. He’s set to be an unrestricted free agent in March, and the fact he’ll be subject to punishment from the league won’t help his job-hunting.
Hell... he should have spray painted "PULL ME OVER, COPPERS" on his car. What an idiot!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...le-arrested-after-he-was-thrown-out-of-a-bar/

Bengals defensive tackle arrested after he was thrown out of a bar
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 6, 2018

856297472-e1513177598759.jpg

Getty Images

A Bengals defensive tackle was arrested last week for a violation of a previous probation order.

According to Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer, defensive tackle Josh Tupou was arrested last Thursday after being kicked out of a Colorado bar for being “overly intoxicated.”

While perhaps not a problem in and of itself (and barely enough to qualify him to be a Bengal), Tupou was on probation for a 2015 assault case, and one of his conditions was to not drink alcohol.

According to the arrest affidavit, Tupou admitted to cops he drank beer and whiskey, and was thrown out of the Bohemian Biergarten in Boulder. The bar didn’t want to press charges for his allegedly shoving employees on his way out.

He was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of violating a protection order.

Tupou, an undrafted rookie from Colorado, spent most of the year on the Bengals practice squad but was active for one game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-monty-grow-face-prison-for-fraud-conspiracy/

Ex-NFL players Shane Matthews, Monty Grow face prison for fraud conspiracy
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 6, 2018

1699290-e1517937568917.jpg

Getty Images

Former NFL players Shane Matthews and Monty Grow are facing prison time for participating in a conspiracy that fraudulently took $20 million from a program providing health care for military members, veterans and their families.

Grow was the ringleader of the operation and faces up to 20 years in prison for the conspiracy. In 2013 Grow was arrested for child abuse, after leaving his 3 year old child locked in a car, without any adult supervision.

Matthews pleaded guilty one count of causing a drug to be misbranded and was sentenced to three months in prison.

Matthews played quarterback for the in Chicago, Carolina, Washington, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Miami. He started 22 games in his NFL career. Grow played briefly for the Chiefs and Jaguars.

Matthews and Grow were teammates at Florida in the early 1990s.